Posted in music on September 24, 2009

"Surprised and touched that Karen O got so emotional during maps. "Can you believe how far this NY band has come?" She said while crying." - Kim Thai

Radio City Music Hall - Sept 23, 2009 (pic by andymagic)
Yeah yeah yeahs

Yeah Yeah Yeahs @ Radio City Music Hall (pic by hbdinwid)
Yeah yeah yeahs

Karen O @ Radio City Music Hall (pic by Color Noise)
Yeah yeah yeahs

"The key for me is to get really plastered," O says in a recent phone call with Atlantic City Weekly. "I don't have to get drunk when I play, but I admit it makes it easier. It helps me not think about anything onstage. I don't worry about what anyone thinks of me or the band. The best way to do it live is to just let it rip."

O is not the only reason that the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are a live force. Bespectacled powerhouse Brian Chase slams away at his drum kit as guitarist-keyboardist Nick Zinner delivers minimal but melodic lines. O commands attention as she stalks the stage like a famished predator.

"That's just the way we do things," O says. "That comes natural to us."

The band has morphed from a little-known New York City-based indie act to one of the most identifiable acts in Gotham. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, who will perform Saturday (Sept. 26) at Borgata's Music Box, headlined Wednesday at Radio City Music Hall. But even though the group is playing one of the most storied venues in Manhattan, which signifies that you made it, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs haven't changed a bit. The trio remains gritty, tenacious and dramatic.

"I don't see why any band becomes something else," O says. "You should remain true to yourself, your band and your music."
[Atlantic City Weekly]

Yeah Yeah Yeahs headlined Radio City Music Hall in NYC last night (9/23). The four-song encore kicked off with two songs played acoustic with strings. One of those songs was "Maps". The video of that, with the full setlist, below...

ESG opened. Services open on 9/29, when the Yeah Yeah Yeahs play the much smaller Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn. Radio City:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs @ Radio City Music Hall - 9/23/09 - setlist
Runaway
Phenomena
Shake It
Heads Will Roll
Pin
Dull Life
Gold Lion
Miles Away
Skeletons
Soft Shock
Cheated Hearts
Zero
Turn Into
Maps (Acoustic w/ strings)
Hysteric (Acoustic w/ strings)
Y Control
Date With The Night

check out the prices scalpers are asking for the Borgata show on ebay and stubhub. that room is small and it looks like most of the tickets were bought by scalpers who are now unloading them for pennies

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 1:57 AM

what happened to esg's 'final show'?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 2:00 AM

good god what a great show. "Heads Will Roll" was all kinds of amazing

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 2:07 AM

I simultaneously love and hate how she is speaking in that video

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 2:12 AM

holy fuck, that banter was beyond annoying

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 2:33 AM

what, no art star?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 2:37 AM

What is Shake It? Is that a cover or from an EP I don't have...

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 3:32 AM

Super wacky costumes, big residents looking eye balls, tinny No Wave derivative guitar sound, and annoying banter. Very overrated crap. But hey, sheepish people pay a lot to say they went to Radio City music hall.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 3:38 AM

Shake It is an old song from the Fever days that has only ever been played live. They haven't played it in forever but just started playing it recently (Starting in Pomona)

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 3:41 AM

Look how far this Jersey, South Korean born, NYC, LA girl has come Mom. Nausea!

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 3:56 AM

No No No

Posted by Ed | September 24, 2009 7:06 AM

Very disappointed with this show. Hopefully they tear the roof of Williamsburg next week...

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 7:50 AM

@ 3:38 were you at U2 by chance?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 8:14 AM

Meah Meah Meah's

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 8:31 AM

The were amazing last night!

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 8:51 AM

I thought "Maps" was supposed to be about that nut from Liars. Must be kind of a bring-down to think that's your song and then find out it was for some big city.

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | September 24, 2009 8:59 AM

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 9:16 AM

Really wanted to hear "Sealings" - oh well. Thought the show was good, nonetheless. Those inflatable eyeballs did get annoying though after a while...

Posted by Funderburgh | September 24, 2009 9:22 AM

I wouldn't call Brian Chase a "powerhouse". He is a decent drummer, but nothing special.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 9:29 AM

it was pretty amazing to be in radio city music hall with confetti streaming down like cherry blossom petals with the yyys on stage. nick's guitar could have been louder but--what the heck--it was a great show.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 9:33 AM

"i thought the performance was great but the crowd was weak. not their fault but a natural result of playing such a big venue and growing the fan base."

Wow - who designated you the resident, superior being? I suppose your choice of clothing and haircut make you immune to being part of the "weak" crowd?

Funny; if I were in a band, I'd actually be happy if my band made it big enough so that I could make a living at it and not play some cramped, low-ceilinged venue in Williamsburg with crappy sound. There are a whole lot worst things in life than being successful, making people happy via your music, and not having to have a day job anymore.

Posted by Inquisigal | September 24, 2009 9:37 AM

The show was great. Karen O is the last of a dying breed. I want to marry her.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 9:44 AM

While great last night, I felt they were better at All Points West. Anybody else agree?

Posted by GW | September 24, 2009 9:47 AM

Hey Inquisigal,

I thought the show was insanely dope, but the crowd was a major downer. They just sort of stood there with blank stares, while people like myself were getting yelled at by security for "dancing too much" in the aisle. The crowd was definitely weak. I admit, I convinced 3 friends to go who never heard of the YYY's, so it's partly my fault. It's only natural when you play larger/more popular venues you're more likely to get a crowd curious about the hype compared to a 300 person venue with crappy sound where everyone is a die hard fan and goes ape shit.

Cheers,
E

Posted by MoneyBags | September 24, 2009 9:48 AM

GW, yes I agree. I thought they were on fire last night and one of the best times I've seen them.

What about more pics? Bring 'em on, so many costumes but was too far away to get any detail.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 9:54 AM

By 'weak' crowd, i wasn't referring to crowd's status but more to the fact that they weren't that into the music. For me, what has made a YYY show in the past has been an active, dancing crowd - which wasn't the case last night. It has nothing to do with the band becoming finnancially sucessful or not. And yes, i was immune to the weak crowd b/c i was actually dancing

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 10:03 AM

i wish i went. goddamn chemistry test.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 10:04 AM

I am excited for MHOW next week. I've actually never seen a show there before...any advice on where the good spots are, assuming I don't get there early enough to be up close, front and center on the floor? There's a balcony, right?

Cheers

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 10:04 AM

Yeah the crowd was kinda beat, (like everyone else is saying, what did you expect) but i didn't let that stop me from going nuts (apologies to the person standing next to/behind me). YYYs sounded better than ever. It's upsetting to think that I probably won't see them again for a long time. I wish the setlist was longer.

Posted by brian | September 24, 2009 10:07 AM

do you seriously think anyone wearing that could also be a serious musician? karen o is an insult to female artists -- her actual value is in her ability to wear sequins and wail loudly without mussing her 'look'

muse, maybe, but not a musician.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 10:09 AM

Great performance - no-so-great sound. Karen's vocals were often lost, and her range seemed a bit limited in the live setting. The boomy bass tended to dominate. The audience was very lively, on their feet the entire show and very loud for the many-minutes-long wait for the encore. Karen is a trouper, never letting up for the entire set. I would have picked a few other songs I'd have like to hear, but the version of "Maps" was worth the entire evening alone.

Posted by drewo | September 24, 2009 10:13 AM

There was a chick in my row who looked like a taller version of Shakira, and had quite an amazing rack. That's all I got.

Posted by Funderburgh | September 24, 2009 10:23 AM

Ever heard of performance art, 10:09?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 10:24 AM

Did Karen give her "usual" speech before she played Maps?

"This is our love song blah blah blah then laugh for couple of seconds and talk for a bit...."

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 10:24 AM

venue sucks - should be reserved for classical/intimate shows you can sit for. you can't dance in a row - and the venue staff is a major buzz kill

sad to see them kick out 2 girls in front of me for smoking weed.

also - how many giant inflatable volleyball dumbasses were on the left side of the orchestra? every time a ball got stuck it was because of their idiocay.

and then - how about the douchebag in the pit who put the ball down on the ground during Hysteric. I understand it was an acoustic jam and you didn't want to be bouncing the ball - but since everyone in the crowd was there to watch you watching the YYYs it makes it ok. douche.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 10:28 AM

nice spelling on "idiocay" - really drives home your point.

yeah and the guy in the pit was a douche. he already has teh best seat in the house - has to show everyone else in the crowd that not only do they get to play with the ball - they have to respect his VIP status and the volleyball impeding privileges that it carries.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 10:31 AM

"sad to see them kick out 2 girls in front of me for smoking weed."

If they were dumb enough to smoke weed at RCMH, they deserved to get kicked out.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 10:32 AM

her voice between songs is so annoying. damn. razorblades

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 10:35 AM

@10:09: that is the most ill-informed comment i've ever read. FAIL!

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 10:41 AM

I've seen a few of their shows and this was one of their biggest performance wise. They put out all the stops with all her costumes, giant eyeballs, confetti, giant Ys coming down from the ceiling and all that you normally don't get at the smaller shows. But yes, a huge part of the experience of a yyys show is the crowd getting into it as much as the band does, crowding up to the stage, dancing the entire time and leaving a hot sweat soaked mess. Unfortunately, that will never happen at RCMH or really any other venue with assigned seating.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 10:49 AM

the setlist left me feeling a bit unfulfilled- i'm a big fan of jamming, but they spent so much time 'zoning out' that they could've played 4 or 5 more songs- and the setlist was kind of slow too, not too many upbeat songs... but very cool show nonetheless

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 11:06 AM

fuck the 80's nostalgia bullshit. this is music for deaf fuckers too interested in clothes and pathetic vogue-ing to realize just how godawful the music is.

Posted by anna w | September 24, 2009 11:12 AM

PIIIIIN! that was the one. the killer peak of a killer set list--I was happy to see "Art Star" gone too.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 11:12 AM

The only YEAH YEAH YEAHS I wanna hear are Eddie Vedders

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 11:17 AM

Dancing's overrated. I was tired from work, so was glad the person in front of me sat through the whole show. I thoroughly enjoyed myself rocking in my seat.

Seen them in various very different venues/settings, but I have to admit that the sound engineer at RCMH is on another level of pro; simply sounded incredible. He/she even made ESG sound the best I've ever heard. RCMH is one uptight place, but you can't fault them for having bad sound.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 11:20 AM

Karen's vocals did get buried in the mix, a bit of a surprise since this venue does usually get the mix dead-on and the acoustics are fantastic here. A show at RCMH is going to be very different than other shows in more intimate places were people can really let it rip. This is more of a showcase venue for this band. I knew this going in and really enjoyed the show for what it was.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 11:39 AM

rcmh is uptight for a reason: it's an iconic theater. you see how the bathrooms are preserved immactuately in original design? i don't fault the staff for being uptight, it's the type of venue you treat with respect. not a shithole where you toss your plastic cups and roaches on the floor. grow up people complaining....

also a show like this is all what you make of it. i had a great time and so did the people i was with. stop looking at what other people are doing, lame or not and just have fun for god's sake, whatever your way of doing that is...

and blonde cokeheady chick behind me chatting to her gay boyfriend, fuck you. i can hear still your nasal suburban accent bitch.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 11:52 AM

the show at maxwells was the greatest of all time. you all missed it.

Posted by mcfly | September 24, 2009 12:01 PM

^^^ band member

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 12:03 PM

@11:20 - Does the singer from ESG always perform with her hands in her pockets the entire set?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 12:04 PM

@ 12:04

two more ESG questions while we're here -

1) does she always perform dressed like she just got home from Wal-Mart too? Jeans and some crappy ass old jacket? What was that about...
2) did that last song have any words other than "this don't make sense" or whatever, over and over and over and over and over again? ridiculous.

Final ESG comments - waste of a good drummer in my opinion, and if you're the lead singer for an opening band don't leave the stage before your bandmates.

Posted by Funderburgh | September 24, 2009 12:15 PM

yeah i agree with above, "this is our love song" schtick is so fucking old i just roll my eyes. someone tell karen, please.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 12:23 PM

@Funderburgh

so true about the jeans. i turned to my friend during the set and asked "why is she wearing mom jeans?"

you know your jeans are bad when people from 100 yards away can tell.

the yeah yeah yeahs were great, but i was the only one within a 10 row radius who was dancing like a madwoman, which was kind of disappointing.

Posted by heather | September 24, 2009 12:26 PM

So THAT'S where the weed smell was coming from!

Posted by LT | September 24, 2009 12:37 PM

Boy, you just a stupid bitch and girl you just a no-good dick

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 12:50 PM

the ladies from esg don't give a fuck about appearances. they're just all about playing and getting paid.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 1:00 PM

you guys are insane - I thought the show was brilliant and I am just a casual fan. and don't tell me I am new to concerts - I have seen more legendary bands than many of you put together.
and this was the best sound of any concert I have ever been to at radio city music hall.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 1:04 PM

Yeah, bummer about ESG. Their music could really benefit from them investing a few hundreds in skintight jeans and several hours in front of the mirror to achieve that perfect disheveled bohemian look.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 1:20 PM

"why is she wearing mom jeans?"

@Heather and Funderburgh - Because the lead singer of ESG IS a mom...of at least one other member of the band (the drummer I believe). Please do some research...ESG were influencing everything from post-punk like that which was coming from Factory Records (i.e., early New Order) to disco, early hip hop and techno back in the early 80s. They don't give a shit about hipster fashion...they're Spanish women from the Bronx...most of whom are in their 50s and 60s. Would you chastise someone like David Byrne because his jeans weren't cool?

Posted by blackhat | September 24, 2009 1:23 PM

I only got to hear esg last 4 songs - I came 8:30. What time did they start?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 1:27 PM

Godyou guys are fucking retarded...

Posted by Spencer | September 24, 2009 1:39 PM

"I admit, I convinced 3 friends to go who never heard of the YYY's, so it's partly my fault."

They're not the Beatles, but who the fuck hasn't heard of the YYY's at this point?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 1:54 PM

i love this site, the waters run deep here.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 1:59 PM

Point taken 1:23, but, it had nothing to do with "coolness" for me...pretty sure I would have not worn a jacket and then removed my hands from my ass pockets during the actual performance if I were her. I don't need to do any research to reach that conclusion either.

Posted by Funderburgh | September 24, 2009 2:02 PM

10:09 is the worst comment on this page, and probably the worst comment of the week on BV.
I guess Bowie circa Ziggy was not a musician at all. Dressing up as an extraterrestrial eliminates all talent and musicianship.
fucking idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 2:05 PM

lmao, i was in that row and know exactly who you are talking about.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 2:14 PM

Why the fuck are people so concerned about how the rest of the audience was acting? If they weren't dancing like you it doesn't mean they weren't enjoying themselves. Stop acting like everyone in the crowd has to act a certain way.

On top of that the venue is one that should be respected, so yes security is uptight and power tripping at times, but with good reason. I was in the first mezzanine and saw a good amount of people stealing seats, getting kicked out for smoking, throwing their drinks and stirrers over the side. Hipsters can be such trash.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 2:15 PM

Only hipsters would complain about how a band looks. Leave ESG alone, they actually play music and don't worry about anything else.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 2:16 PM

what the fuck was the deal with absolutely no one clapping for ESG. They are fucking legends. Seriously, my entire row sat in absolute silence the entire time. Get the fuck over yourselves, at least clap for them.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 2:17 PM

what a bunch of...DOUCHES!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 2:29 PM

I'm amazed there were enough people in your section for ESG to complain about the no clapping. You could count on one hand how many people were in mine. Everyone else were more concerned with standing outside drinking and making sure others saw how they didn't care.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 2:32 PM

@ 2:32, there was one other person in my entire row during the set. there were, however, a few behind me and in front of my rows. i was just so surprised at the sheer lack of respect. i would have thought some hipsters would have even liked them, "come away with esg" was listed on pitchfork's best albums of the 80s.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 2:36 PM

they were great... in 2003.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 2:43 PM

I have absolutely nothing negative to say about the performance but I think YYY's and RCMH are just a bad match. The seating structure just made everything feel disconnected and killed the crowd's energy. Altho this was a great show by the band this was easily my least favorite show of the 5 I've been to.

That said the strings versions of Maps/Hysteric were great...

Posted by BTW | September 24, 2009 2:46 PM

@ 2:46, couldn't agree more.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 2:51 PM

I went last night and thought it was an amazing show. I was 4th row mezzanine and the sound was a slight issue just because it wasn't perfect, but it's an enclosed mezzanine after all.

Perhaps I thought it was amazing because I'm not a true hipster and wasn't wise enough to know who they were 6 years ago when playing cigarette dens in Williamsburg, but it's actually just quite possible that there are many d-bags in the comments here who think that because YYY's play Radio City, it means everyone who dared attend isn't worthy. Grow up, it was a unique experience and no one asked you to go so you could tout your greatness.

It's Radio City, it's more than just a symbol because it is still beautiful and in amazing shape. Any venue with seats won't be a rockin sweaty mess, but the mezzanine was literally shaking for half of the show. I've become a prissy adult lately so I appreciated the order and beauty of last night's show (despite also loving 2 hot n sweaty NiN shows last month), although I did not sit down for a moment but somehow didn't mind that some people were sitting down. How dare people not cater to inconsolable hipsters.

I'm obsessed with Skeletons.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 3:04 PM

here's the rest of the videos from that show:

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 3:20 PM

I'm a huge fan of the YYYs and have been since seeing them with Oneida in a Williamsburg parking lot years ago. (I'm sure plenty of the other commenters were there, too.) Honestly, the show had all trappings, but somehow it sounded sloppy from my seats. Too much drum, not enough vocal. Perhaps, someone was asleep behind the board?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 3:35 PM

Jesus. Since when was Maps a sing along? Love the YYY's but that would have pissed me off.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 6:13 PM

@ 9:29

next time you go to oberlin's conservatory and graduate as a percussion major, you let me know

then you can criticize brian chase's drumming

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 6:26 PM

Sound sucked badly. The band pug effort j. But the venue was not for them.

Posted by Wasted | September 25, 2009 12:25 AM

@ 3:38 were you at U2 by chance?

No I was not. Thanks for your concern but Ive seen Negativland a few times in the past though.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2009 1:43 AM

Well said.

And this idiot...

fucking idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 2:05 PM

Please do not use David Bowie in the same sentence
as this YYY's sloppy, cliche, bad spawn of Williamsburg band who is interested in fashion, hair, and cookie cutter art school student social circles. God awful crap is right. You are not No wave YYY's.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2009 1:59 AM

muse, maybe, but not a musician.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2009 10:09 AM

Yes I agree completely. Well put. This is when people in other cities realized how awful new indie rock was in Williamsburg.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2009 2:15 AM

There are very few things in life as rewarding as learning to play a musical instrument, and there are even fewer things as beautiful as an electric guitar. However, learning to play the guitar takes a lot of patience and can be very frustrating at times. While it's very important that you stick to some sort of structure if you want to make good progress, it's just as important that you learn an easy song every now and then so you don't feel like you're going nowhere slowly.

Posted by Angele Martin | September 25, 2009 7:50 AM

am i the only one who felt like this show was really short?

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2009 2:17 PM

yes- SO short

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2009 4:30 PM

i was surprised they didnt go onstage at 9. but 17 songs is fairly standard for their set length so far this tour.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2009 4:40 PM

I really wanted to hear Sealings too. Or Down Boy (or anything from the Is Is Ep, my favorite). Or Black Tongue...but I guess that's wishful thinking because they can't play every song they've put out, and they did play a bunch of old stuff. Still an amazing show though. Loved the Maps performance - really moving.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2009 6:52 PM

Yeah, shut up to all the haters! I thought they worked hard to put out a pretty damn good show, especially considering as they had to work around the obvious limits of RCMH, it being a seated venue and all. And if you were complaining about the venue, well no one forced you to attend, and you would've known when you bought the ticket...right?? Chill out. I'm surprised at all the negative comments here - I thought people attended concerts because they were fans...Hm. Guess I'm wrong...

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2009 7:04 PM

what the hell is the name of the song that played during the YYY's stage set up... after ESG played.
It went something like "Murder in the backseat" over and over and had a really heavy groove.

I think it played like second or third....

Posted by Anonymous | September 26, 2009 6:59 PM

6:59 are you referring to "Warm Leatherette" by The Normal?

Posted by Dan | September 27, 2009 11:31 AM

Hey E/Moneybags;

Thanks for your explanation of the "weak" crowd; it's a lot less offensive than I thought was intended. I agree It can be a bummer when you want to rock out and people around you seem to be un-enthused, or worst, you're asked not to by security.

The interesting thing is; as one gets older (I am dating myself here, as I was an indie rock writer for a national magazine at age 21-24, and am now 40), it becomes far less important what other people are doing/not doing at a show, and comes down to whether you get energized by the music & have fun.

Some people in my row were sitting, and some - like me- were standing and dancing. Someone even managed to smoke some very high-quality weed no problem. The energy of the band made it to my second mezzanine seat - perhaps being farther away from a primo seating, security doesn't patrol like the orchestra.

I do agree with others who have posted here - RCMH is a beautiful, classic venue, and you can't expect the same kind of show/experience that you might get in a club. I thought the set design, costume changes, and "razzle dazzle" were well done, trippy performance art, and something you couldn't obviously get in a club. I'm sure the Williamsburg Music Club show will offer the more intimate dance-sweat sitch that others crave....

Posted by Inquisigal | September 27, 2009 1:16 PM

11:31 no, it wasn't Warm Leatherette. it had just one line in the whole song that sounded exactly like "Murder in the backseat"
and the only reference beyond that I can make is that the voice sounded a lot like the first 10/12 seconds of Mims "Move if you Wanna":

sorry for linking to that shit.

Posted by Anonymous | September 27, 2009 5:37 PM