Posted in music | tour dates on October 16, 2009

Arctic Monkeys @ Highline Ballroom over the summer (more by Bao Nguyen)
Arctic Monkeys

"Arctic Monkeys will also be releasing "Cornerstone" as the second single from their latest album, Humbug, which debuted at #1 on the UK charts. The 10" release will feature three new b-sides ("Catapult," "Sketchead" and "Fright Lined Dining Room"), and will be available digitally on Tuesday, November 17th and physically on Tuesday, December 8th. The band recently performed the song at their guest appearance on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.
The Craig Ferguson video is re-posted below along with the official video for "Cornerstone" which features an older, more-crooning sounding Alex Turner.

In December, the Arctic Monkeys will return to North America to play a few shows. All but one of those shows is in the United States and features Screaming Females as opener! That means Screaming Females will play Terminal 5 for the third time on December 11th (the first two times were with Jack White and band).

Screaming Females also have a bunch of local shows scheduled even sooner including some CMJ ones, like Mercury Lounge on October 21st. Tickets for Terminal 5 go on sale next Friday. All dates and those videos, below...

Arctic Monkeys - Cornerstone, Craig Ferguson 23rd Sept 2009

Arctic Monkeys - 'Cornerstone'

Arctic Monkeys - 2009 Tour Dates
December 6th, 2009 - Chicago, IL @ Riviera Theatre*
December 7th, 2009 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Mr. Smalls Theatre *
December 8th, 2009 - Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club *
December 11th, 2009 - New York, NY @ Terminal 5 *
December 13th, 2009 - Boston, MA @ House of Blues *
December 14th, 2009 - Montreal, CA @ Metropolis
* w/ Screaming Females

Screaming Females - 2009 Tour Dates
Oct 21 - Mercury Lounge (CMJ) (21+) New York, New York
Oct 24 - New Knitting Factory (all ages) Brooklyn, New York
Oct 24 - Above the Auto Parts Store (all ages) Brooklyn, New York
Nov 21 - Benefit for 180 NJ @ Asbury Lanes (all ages?) Asbury Park, New Jersey

yay! Arctic Monkeys! soooooo awesome that even a world-weary wife could love them.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 4:31 PM

When will bands please stop booking that crappy-ass venue?

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 4:45 PM

How does a British band plot a 6-day tour and include PITTSBURGH?

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 4:48 PM

I sure wish new Arctic Monkeys album wasn't so damn boring.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 4:57 PM

I love the first 2 albums... but i find myself listening to this song more than any other on the new one.....

best lyric that took me a while to figure out (and now it is really obvious)

"....and i've asked everyone, I'm beginning to think I imagined you all along..."

Posted by John | October 16, 2009 5:08 PM

They are determined to try every crappy venue in NYC. Hammerstein, Roseland, and of course now Terminal 5. Highline show was great. If they ever decide to play a theatre show, I'll be there, but I'm not going to this. Bowery can stick T5 up their asses.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 5:13 PM

THE NEW KILLERS?

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 5:42 PM

5:42 = moron

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 5:47 PM

does anyone one know any good international radio shows online?

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 5:51 PM

I forgot to say for indie type music sort of like the John Peel show?

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 5:52 PM

these guys should give up already

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 6:07 PM

Pittsburgh is the new Brooklyn

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 6:12 PM

you should give up life

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 6:13 PM

Arctic Monkeys, LOL! Remember the avalanche of hype when their first album came out? Turned out to be rather run-of-the-mill, didn't they?

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 6:23 PM

pittsburgh is tight, I don't know about arctic monkies though

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 6:30 PM

It always confuses me when people snicker over how off-base the hype on Arctic Monkeys supposedly was. This dude's made four #1 records in a row and is doing an arena tour in Europe as we speak. I wish I was the subject of hype that off-base.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 7:17 PM

Excuse me while I snicker at the overrated Arctic Monkeys, who were made out to be The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Nirvana all rolled into one.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 7:24 PM

5:13,

Well, where do YOU want them to play? Those 3 venues encompass the demand for the show. Personally, I'd pick Roseland out of the three but, that's just me.

Use your fucking brains people. If a band comes to NYC that can draw 2-3k people, they're not going to play Bowery Ballroom. Just makes no sense. Also, I prefer T5 over Radio City so, that way, I don't have to sit there and jockey over which seats I get and I'm sure others feel the same.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 8:22 PM

The Arctic Monkeys totally would have blown away the competition at high school talent shows I attended back in the day.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 8:42 PM

Nokia Theatre is the shit.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 9:00 PM

nokia>>>>>>>>>t5

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 9:21 PM

Excuse me while I snicker at 7:24 who likely took my order at the McDonalds' drive through

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 9:43 PM

the next OASIS????????????

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 10:42 PM

Hell > T5

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 10:43 PM

they are huge in switzerland

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 10:46 PM

at least the drinks are cheap at T5

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 10:51 PM

who cares if they play arenas in Europe, if they aint big in the US this band doesnt matter and they know it. which is why they are playing small venues in pittsburgh years after being "hyped"

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 11:18 PM

being big in the US usually = sounding like watered down mainstream shit

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 11:35 PM

Their first album is fucking great, hyped or not.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2009 11:44 PM

8:22. I did not say they should play Bowery Ballroom. I'd take Radio City, Beacon, United Palace, even Nokia Theatre over Terminal 5. Hell, I'd go to Jersey. Roseland, Hammerstein and Terminal 5 are the triangle of death in NYC. Sound and sightlines are terrible. Also you get stuck behind people who only listen to three bands and have nothing better to do than lining up in front of the venue at noon or assholes who cut in front of everyone. I know it from seeing shows most nights of the week. If you try hard enough you can almost always find decent seats at theatres for face value or less.

To answer your question, I'd see any artist I like at any venue in NYC, small or big, other than these three venues. I'm OK with being in packed small or medium sized rooms, but when we're talking 2-3K people or more, I need room to breathe. I refuse to see shows at these three venues, packed like sardines with several thousand others, drowned in shitty sound, and trying to see the stage. I know there are many others like me. That's why you hear so many complaints when bands book one of these venues.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2009 1:59 AM

How do you tell an Artic Monkey from a Screaming Female? One is cold and the other is hot!

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2009 6:38 AM

I won't go to T5, though I like the Arctic Monkeys quite a bit (Highline show was excellent). I'm in agreement with 1:59.

Gaslight Anthem is the same night at the Wellmont; I'd say that's a better option.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2009 7:42 AM

the arctic MEHnkeys

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2009 9:09 AM

1:59,

Sounds like you're just a big puss.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2009 11:59 AM

Bands will stop playing Terminal 5 when the other venues of its stature/size start paying better.

Posted by Bill Graham's Ghost | October 17, 2009 12:03 PM

Nokia Theatre is the shit.

Posted by lv | October 17, 2009 12:54 PM

hey anon 7.24:

the arctic monkeys, on the basis of the first 3 releases, are BETTER than The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Nirvana all rolled into one.

and i'm a HUGE fan of all 3 (and, unfortunately, old enough to have bought records by the beatles when they were still together)

and big in america = talentless tripe (can anyone say bonjovi? britney?.

the arctic monkeys, like the Jam, will do quite nicely in the more informed, intelligent and creative markets in the world. "success" in the cultural wasteland that is amerika is meaningless.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2009 1:15 PM

Easily the Best band for the last few years to come out of UK or US. Head and shoulders above the rest.
Alex Turner is an amazin talent and the band are tight as fuck live.
I'd love to see any crappy NYC hipster band pull off the video above. Irony anyone? I thought not.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2009 1:22 PM

Amen to 1:59. 11:59, you sound like one of those deaf, drunk assholes - one of the reasons to avoid these three places. Have fun at the Korn moshpit with your buddies.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2009 3:53 PM

the biggest band ever!!!!! NME said so

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2009 12:30 AM

its not about being big in the US, its that they can only manage 6 fucking dates at small venues after 3 albums and loads of hype. this shit hasnt caught on yet, when will it ever? i dont care if they can play arenas in a country with the population of new york, much easier to penetrate that shit

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2009 12:54 AM

So basically you are saying it's not about being big in the US, but it is about being big in the US. Make up your fucking mind.

1:15 is excited and exaggerates. There is simply no band in the world better than "The Beatles, Stones, and Nirvana rolled into one." Making such a claim will only draw ridicule.

That said, I do think they are the best band to come out of anywhere in recent years. They will never become mainstream in the US, because it is not the kind of music most Americans listen to. Distinctively British aspect of their music is enough to turn off many.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2009 2:38 AM

mogwai can play to more people in the US than them and they arent accessible and have had the same proportion ink than them in a short amount of time, what does that say about them? 6 dates probably aint worth the expense to come over, stay home and fucking die already

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2009 3:37 AM

12.54 - They have the American fanbase to play more than 6 dates, they've just spent over a month touring in America; these are just a few add-on dates.

3.37 - Alex Turner lives in New York now, so you'll be relieved to hear that his travel expenses won't be too high.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2009 2:58 PM

asobi seksu's singer looks hot.

Posted by دليل | March 26, 2010 12:45 PM