Posted in music | pictures on October 23, 2009

photos by Toby Tenembaum

Broadcast / Bradford
Atlas sound

One of the bigger tours that came through NYC during CMJ is the Atlas Sound / Broadcast one. Tuesday night it was at Le Poisson Rouge in Manhattan. Wednesday it was Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn.

Broadcast hit the stage with seventeen mintues of trippy synth noise brought on by two Dr. Samples and some pedals. They had swirly black and white projections while the audience rocked on their heels in anticipation, waiting to see where all this witchcraft would go. The dude wore a nice patterned sweater and the woman wore some white flowy madness.

After their floating through about twenty minutes of Broadcast's pscyhedelic sound pudding, the audience was treated to the hits. They played "I Found the F" and "Black Cat" and some other poppy stuff that I couldn't identify.

For the last song, lead singer Trish Keenan pulled out a three stringed Eastern folk guitar to play some harsh yet sweet drones while white capped drums repeated driving the audience into a meditative sway." [wilkinism]

I talked to a lot of people that didn't enjoy Broadcast.

The Selminaires opened the show and were Bradford's backing band for Atlas Sound. More pictures from Music Hall below...

Atlas Sound...

Broadcast...

Broadcast

Logos is great, did they pull it off live?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2009 10:35 AM

i slept on tix and missed broadcast. their show at bowery a few years back was fantastic and they always had a good live show. i expected them to bring other musicians on this tour...i guess not.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2009 10:36 AM

i thought Broadcast was dope. I love Deerhunter but Atlas Sound works better as a record. Its not a real band. The guys on stage didn't have any chemistry or energy.

Posted by anon | October 23, 2009 10:38 AM

The Selminaires/Atlas Sound drummer in the fourth photo down after the jump is channeling Grace Jones.

Posted by blackhat | October 23, 2009 10:40 AM

goddamn MHOW wouldnt let any badges in around 945 so i missed them. boo. saw phantogram instead who were pretty darn good.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2009 10:46 AM

bradford all day everyday all the time, the bestest

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2009 10:48 AM

"goddamn MHOW wouldnt let any badges in"

Do people really think that a CMJ badge will let them into a show? Are people really still thinking that? CMJ badges will only get you into the shows that no one wants to see. It's been the same way for OVER A DECADE. How does CMJ dupe gullible people year after year?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2009 10:52 AM

@ 10:52 especially with such a shitty lineup, itd be one thing if they attracted bigger acts but way weak dudes

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2009 10:56 AM

Really disappointed these tickets sold out so early because I've been dying to see The Selminaries. International Hits bands are flat out fantastic.

Posted by Travis | October 23, 2009 11:00 AM

Bradford played LOGOS solo then played drums and sang on top a guitar/harmonica loop—all with the house lights on (on this song)...pretty strange.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2009 11:01 AM

@10:52 Nope. Turn up early enough and you'll get in with a badge. It's always been that way. I've had no problem getting into anything this year, which is probably related to the recession.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2009 11:05 AM

Anyone know the name of the Atlas Sound song that had Bradford playing on the drums? Lots of pretty xylophone and bell sounds. I want to hear it again! Please - anyone know it?

BROADCAST WAS AGGRAVATING

ps - i <3 bradford

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2009 11:08 AM

RE: badges work, yup just show up early at doors. Unfortunately means you'll probably have to stay for one showcase and not bounce around.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2009 11:09 AM

People who didnt enjoy Broadcast = hipsters that dont know shit. Broadcast is one of the best bands around. All their albums are great. I would marry Trish in a second. Ive meet her twice and she is extremely cool and nice. The song "one million years ago" from the new ep is why i like the band. It sound like something out of a Lucio Fulci film. Anyway...you should have now what you were getting into.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2009 11:16 AM

"Lunch Hour Pops" was the oldest song they played I believe. I think some people who didnt enjoy the show were probably the ones expecting to see an old school Broadcast performance, but they've been a duo (without the drummer Tim) for a while now. I knew they were going to focus on the ep/do an electronic set so them playing songs off their full lengths was just a plus. Great show.

Posted by michelle | October 23, 2009 12:01 PM

Great, great show. Bradford is one talented guy...and pretty funny too.

Posted by Big Perm | October 23, 2009 12:03 PM

Broadcast was so fucking amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2009 12:08 PM

the show at LPR was terrible. No live drumming? Super long ambient intro? Wish i had been som...ewhere else

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2009 12:09 PM

i got in with my badge at 10:15. venues can only honor a certain amount of badges. there was a whole separate line for people with badges, when one person came out with a badge, they let another in. i got a real kick out of all the douche bags who tried strolling straight up to the door thinking they were hot shit with their badge only to be told they had to get in line. most of them left. and good riddance.

Posted by anonymous | October 23, 2009 12:20 PM

i suspect anyone who didn't enjoy broadcast probably wasn't familiar with their material in the 1st place. as for atlas sound, i dig bradford's records, but honestly i'd rather see him up there with his laptop than surrounded by a band with no juice

Posted by 10:36 commenter | October 23, 2009 12:23 PM

Dig Broadcast, without question. Very underrated band for their accomplishments and consistently badass records. But didn't dig the intro. Sorry.

I wasn't at MHOW, but I saw them at LPR the night before. The drone and visuals held my attention for the first 5 minutes and I was anxiously waiting for it to segue into something else, whether that be one of their older songs, newer songs, whatever. But it just didn't happen. It was taxing, abrasive and the fucking mix was way too shabby. The bass was beyond oppressive; absolutely unnecessary and took away from the intricacies of their songs. This was a sonic undertaking that didn't hit. The "white holocaust" at the end of MBV's You Made Me Realise is faaaar more brutal, but it's exciting with the prospect of where it goes from there. There was no real end product with the Broadcast intro. Their abrupt transition into the first real song was disappointing and made the whole 18 minutes before look like an audience prank.

Also, wasn't looking forward to Atlas Sound as much as Broadcast and while I thought the Selmanaires weren't especially great playing as his backing band, Bradford was INCREDIBLE and definitely won me over. He looked and played like a dude who's been touring and going over his shit meticulously for the past few years, while Broadcast appeared a little unsure of what they were trying to accomplish.

Apologies if I just wasn't "in on the joke" like these far out dudes who apparently jump around the Broadcast message boards. I bought the new Atlas Sound AND the new Broadcast/Focus Group, and Bradford wins their as well.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2009 12:58 PM

Selmanaires were good, their record is better
Altas Sound was good, his album is WAY better (too boring live)

Broadcast owned the night. Wall of sound opener set the mood, huge stage presence for two people, poppy hits were an added treat. Better than on record (says a lot for them) which is what a live show should be.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2009 1:01 PM

12:58 marry me

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2009 1:26 PM

I thought the show was great. I'd heard that Broadcast was down to two members, but I didn't expect that they would be making distorted, brutal sound collage out of their pop songs. The long intro was almost too much and I saw a few people leave, but I think it paid off. Most people stood their ground.

Atlas Sound was more focused, making more structured songs than previous live shows. Bradford was doing less looping, it seemed, and not playing any keyboard as far as I could tell. I liked the backing band with him and as the openers.

Posted by Aaron | October 23, 2009 3:04 PM

band challenges audience

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2009 4:40 PM

I was the at the LPR show -- Broadcast was amazing (ie ambitious and daring; if you're not into bands pushing themselves and prefer them to just playing their "hits," as someone else put it, it's understandable that you wouldn't like the set) but I thought the sound was shite. It seemed like Trish was having trouble with the space echo effects on her vocals. And I suspect they ended the set early. Anyone who was at Music Hall: how long was their set?

Posted by anon | October 23, 2009 6:16 PM

untitled atlas sound song with bradford on the drums.

Posted by jgh | October 25, 2009 6:35 PM

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2009 11:01 PM

honestly, i was on the fence about cox's music until seeing him live. i have heard a few good deerhunter songs, and one okay atlas sound song, and all of the hype about this guy...and it just does not add up.

bradford cox is an indie scenester tool. he played his boring music and "look at me...i like to be a weirdo" antics for too long in toronto. and any musician can tell you that his shtick is rather limited. there were a bunch of ppl in the crowd that obviously have drank the kool-aid about this guy, bc they hung on his every gesture. and for no discernible reason!

boring jams that went nowhere, and the sheep would cheer when he played slow for awhile, then fast for awhile...idk, maybe the backing band should share some of that blame. bc the selmanaires are the musical equivalent of watching paint dry...

now before you decide to attack me for my opinion, please take a moment to ask yourself why it is that you feel so threatened by the words of a stranger...and then go fuck yrself (cue drum hit!)

broadcast was incredible, as ever.

Posted by Anonymous | October 26, 2009 2:05 AM

2:05 someone who calls atlas sound boring, then proceeds to exclaim that "broadcast was incredible" does a better disservice than any insult i could throw at you.

Posted by Anonymous | October 26, 2009 10:14 AM

Bradford is very talented but he really needs to learn when to shut up on stage and just play music. I wonder if the guys from Deerhunter were just sick of hearing him babble on and on...

Posted by BTW | October 27, 2009 11:43 AM