Posted in MP3 | music | tour dates on October 8, 2009

by Bill Pearis

DOWNLOAD: Blue Jungle - Here We Go Again (MP3)

Blue Jungle
Blue Jungle

One could easily imagine L.A.'s Blue Jungle on the same bill as Thee Oh Sees, with their reverbed-out sound but instead they're playing Cameo Gallery tonight (10/8). Blue Jungle seem more inspired by mid-80s goth indie (Siouxsie, The Fall [yes they were], Lick the Tins) than girl groups or the normal C-86 influences, which definitely sets them apart. Their debut album, Baby Don't Cry, is hard to find -- physically at least, it's on Emusic and iTunes -- but is well worth seeking out. My favorite song from it, "Here We Go Again," is downloadable at the top of this page, and you can get more freebies from their website. Tonight's Cameo show, which is a Crashin' In party, also has Holy Hail, Mama Bear and We Are Country Mice.

Blue Jungle are also playing Shea Stadium (it was supposed to be Silent Barn, but has moved) tomorrow (10/9) with Montreal's Valleys who are at Bruar Falls tonight. More on that show in another post.

One last tidbit for tonight (10/8). At Silent Barn tonight are a newish band called I'm Turning Into who make super catchy '90s influenced indie rock (I'm talking Pavement and Superchunk). Two of them also now serve time in My Teenage Stride. If you can't make tonight's show, they've got a few more gigs coming up which are listed below.

Blue Jungle - 2009 Tour Dates
Oct 8 Cameo Gallery w/ Mama Bear and We Are Country Mice Brooklyn, New York
Oct 9 Shea Stadium w/ Young Boys and The German Measles Queens, New York
Oct 10 31st Street Pub w/The Fresh & Onlys, and the Box Elders Pittsburg, Pennsylvania
Oct 11 The Cobra Lounge Chicago, Illinois
Oct 12 Ames Progressive Office w/ Br'er Ames, Iowa
Oct 13 Old Curtis St Bar w/ Woodsman and Tjutjuna Denver, Colorado
Oct 14 The Woodshed w/ The Astrals Salt Lake City, Utah
Oct 15 425 E Spotswood w/ Nonie & the Static and Cougar LS Moscow, Idaho
Oct 16 ABC House w/ CHRISTMAS. Olympia, Washington
Oct 17 Da Punx Palace w/ Magic Johnson and Nucular Animals Portland, Oregon
Oct 25 The Smell Downtown Los Angeles, California
Oct 27 Racheal Ray's Cooking Accident on KUCI 88.9 FM Irvine Irvine, California
Oct 31 The Unity Church Long Beach, California
Nov 20 Al Borde Acoustic Sessions Los Angeles, California
Dec 31 BURGER RECORDS New Years Eve Broo Ha Ha @ LKEG Gallery Los Angeles, California

I'm Turning Into - "Chopsticks"

I'm Turning Into - 2009 upcoming shows
Oct 8 Silent Barn w/ Whatever Brains / PC Worship / The Men Ridgewood, Queens, New York
Oct 9 house party Richmond, Indiana
Oct 10 Earlham College w/ Screaming Females / Future Islands / Anti-Magic Richmond, Indiana
Oct 16 The Glass Door w/ Shark? / Fluffy Lumbers / Aquadora / gorgeous young lady Brooklyn, New York
Oct 30 Silent Barn w/ Shark? / Sundelles Ridgewood, Queens, New York
Dec 7 Cameo Gallery w/ Dinosaur Feathers / Shark? / Coyote Eyes Brooklyn, New York

i'm turning into a band of douchers

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2009 5:31 PM

The lead singer of Blue Jungle - well, moaner, really - is a total piece of ass but they have not in all their years of existence improved as musicians or entertainers even in the slightest. Tuneless dirges that are a total chore to sit through.

Proof once again that if you're beautiful, you just don't even have to try. You just have to show up.

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | October 8, 2009 5:46 PM

Blue Jungle la breakout band to watch for
many more new york shows to come

Posted by gerard kent | October 8, 2009 9:06 PM

WOW

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 12:32 AM

This is why I love Blue Jungle and I must say I'm completely fucking happy someone finally talked shit.

Blue Jungle over the years has improved. I've been following them for about a year now and dating back from when I first saw them to present, they keep you entertain and do what most band lack and that’s make you feel something and want to move.

Lately Blu Blu will always be condemn, under rated, and bashed for her good looks, she's probably one of the few modern artist that isn’t trying and her true beauty is that she doesn’t censor herself and doesn’t aim to please. Definitely the new and BEST singer- songwriter, poet and visual artist for the next era to come and I’m totally happy she’s a total fox. (Sorry Patti Smith)

Blue Jungle and Lately Blu Blu, two total different styles and both worth loving.

Posted by Shoot Straight | October 9, 2009 1:05 PM

Crosseyed Sniper is going to get a severe ass whooping from Blue Jungle if they find out who he is. I've known this guys for a while and they are not the kind of people who you'd like to mess with. Lock your doors dude and never leave your place if you know what's best for you.
Anyway, I myself have seen Blue Jungle grow so much as performers since the day I first saw them at Mr Ts Bowl somewhat in 2007, that it really amazes me that someone could even dare to talk shit about them. And LBB is a total fox hehehehe.

Posted by Moonshine | October 9, 2009 2:01 PM

I love Blue Jungle.

But then again, I love The Jesus & Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, The Raveonettes, A Place To Bury Strangers, Ringo Deathstarr and Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers too.

Sure, Lately Blu Blu is good looking - but that's hardly the appeal. And besides, her personna and demeanor is closer to Lydia Lunch than some dressed up doll who just wants to be liked.

I loved the show at Cameo last night, and can't wait to see them again tonight.

Here's some dark and murky video clips from last night's Cameo show:

Posted by DaveCromwell | October 9, 2009 7:32 PM

Blue jungle band i can be discribed at X meets mazzy star.theyare based out of echo park section of los angeles the band has their own art gallery space located on glendale blvd down the street from the clubs the cho the echoplex they have played both clubs look for them to be at sxsw 2010 music magazine parties starting booking then now

Posted by lahipster | October 12, 2009 11:56 PM

It is hard to say such a thing is clear.

Posted by louis | October 17, 2009 10:36 AM