Posted in music | tour dates on October 7, 2009

Dylan

"To paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld, you go to a Bob Dylan concert for the Bob Dylan you have, not the Bob Dylan you might want or wish to have at a later time.

The Dylan that played the Moore Theatre last night was maybe not the ideal Dylan, but the sold-out, standing-room crowd embraced him anyway. The freewheelin' Dylan, the Highway 61 Dylan, the "Desire" Dylan -- they're not the current Dylan, an aged outlaw magician dressed like Zorro's dad in black-on-black coat and pants and wide-brim hat, incomparable to the Dylan of however many decades ago." [Seattle Times]

Bob Dylan is touring in October and November. New dates include three night runs in November at Citi Performing Arts Center in Boston and at United Palace Theatre in New York City. Tickets for the NY shows are now on presale (password = smithers). All dates and a recent setlist, below...

October 5th - Seattle, Wa setlist
# Gonna Change My Way Of Thinking
# Lay, Lady, Lay
# Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
# Spirit On The Water
# Honest With Me
# I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
# My Wife's Home Town

November 13 Boston, MA Citi Performing Arts Center
November 14 Boston, MA Citi Performing Arts Center
November 15 Boston, MA Citi Performing Arts Center
November 17 New York, NY United Palace
November 18 New York, NY United Palace
November 19 New York, NY United Palace

...unless, of course, my Bob Dylan falls separate to three consecutive misfortunes. But that will never happen. One misfortune, that's possible. Two misfortunes, there's an outside chance. But three misfortunes?? I'd like to see THAT happen!

Posted by BURNS | October 7, 2009 12:21 PM

^^^
substitute 'separate' with 'victim'

Posted by BURNS 2 | October 7, 2009 12:22 PM

What is the refund policy if he dies halfway through the show?

Posted by Steve Polychronopolis | October 7, 2009 12:28 PM

One of the greatest song writters of all time but also one of the worst live performers! Se him once then don't bother again.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 12:32 PM

Is it the guitar playing Bob Dylan, or the keyboard playing Bob Dylan?

Posted by martyn | October 7, 2009 12:32 PM

This is exactly WHY I still go...

"You go to a Bob Dylan concert for the Bob Dylan you have, not the Bob Dylan you might want or wish to have at a later time."

Posted by TXn | October 7, 2009 12:33 PM

I want to see the Freewheeling Bob Dylan.

Posted by Kurt C. | October 7, 2009 12:33 PM

Never. Again.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 12:34 PM

I saw Dylan at SPAC last summer. I left halfway through his set. Sad to say that, being the huge fan that I am of his music.
But he was the last performer of the night after a series of great performers.
Raul Malo, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, Conor Oberst, the Swell Season, and then a great set by the Levon Helm band. A set which ended with everyone who played earlier joining in on The Weight. I couldn't think of a more perfect way to end a long day of great music.

But Dylan was still to come, and I was tired and had a 5 hour drive home on a Sunday night.

Posted by Kurt C. | October 7, 2009 12:37 PM

isn't that the guy who sells bras on TV?

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 12:40 PM

you don't know what dylan you're going to get from night to night. i've seen him be pretty bad one night and then amazing the next. its a roll of the dice but he's obviously worth the gamble for any fan.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 12:45 PM

he was terrible at Prospect Park last summer but he's been great in recent years at other shows.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 12:45 PM

Alternatives to going to these Bob Dylan shows:

1. Killing yourself
2. Setting a new masterbation record in under 2 hours
3. Going to a Klan rally
4. Finding immigrant workers at Home Depot to take home and choke you while you touch yourself in the shower
5. Denying the Holocaust

Posted by Gap teeth in her mouth so my dicks got to fit | October 7, 2009 12:45 PM

L train is shut down

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 1:00 PM

^^ Good

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 1:01 PM

"The deal sealer for my decision to go home came when I realized Dylan was singing Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat about 2/3s of the way through the song. It is one of my favorite Dylan songs, and it was rendered unrecognizable."

I had the same experience with Girl From the N. Country several years ago, except I didn't even realize he'd played it! Saw it on the setlist the following day. Incredible. Def never going to bother seeing him again the way he is now.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 1:03 PM

I saw him on the "Modern Times" tour with Elvis Costello opening and it was good. He played 3/4 of that album - an album I enjoyed - and a smattering of greatest hits (a few of which I did not recognize until halfway through the song which was kinda weird).

It's silly for fans to think that in 2009, you can go see Bob Dylan, the swinging folk troubadour. His first album is close to celebrating it's 50th anniversary. That's almost two generations. The guy's voice sounds very different. If you know going in that you are going to see what amounts to the leader of the world's greatest honky tonk band who plays some greatest hits, you might enjoy yourself.

Finally, I'd be curious about the unknown unknowns of his current set list.

Posted by frank carlucci | October 7, 2009 1:25 PM

I am a really big Dylan fan and have debated seeing him for the first time many times over the years for the obvious reasons. My only question is whether or not it's worth it (especially with the price) to see him and kind of pay homage to him even thought the music itself might not be that good? Should I just go and see my hero end enjoy myself or should I never see him at all and just keep the Royal Albert Hall Dylan image in my head.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 1:33 PM

Charlie Sexton is back in the band. that's a BIG deal and good news for this show.

but if you're a big Dylan fan and you've never seen him before, this might not be the show to start with. The venue has such terrible sound that you can count on missing most of his vocals, which are not exactly at top strength anyway.

and these tickets are extremely expensive, which might put too much pressure on the event for it to be fun. Dylan just kind of fucks around live, and sometimes it's transcendent but if you go to a lot of his shows you know they're hit-and-miss. just keep the expectations low.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 1:54 PM

/\/\/\
Anon 1:33 - You should go see him. I am a big fan of Dylan's and have seen him about 5 times in the last 5 years. He has honestly just gotten better and better. This past summer's minor league ballpark tour was an incredible show. The best of him I have ever seen. You'll regret it if you never go.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 1:56 PM

you should see him! come on, you're a big fan, he's got this great guitarist back with the band, its a wacky venue. even if its awful, which it probably won't be, so what? its dylan, you get to see him. you'll feel like a schmuck if you don't before he croaks (hopefully a long time from now of course).

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 2:02 PM

Haha! I get it, 12:28pm! It's because he's so OLD, right?! Hilarious!

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 2:02 PM

If by "paying homage" you mean spending upward of a $100 to see a truly washed up artist who you are pretty sure is going to disappoint you at a venue known for its poor sound... then by all means, homage away!

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 2:18 PM

Word to the haters:

Dylan in 2009 is at the absolute top of his game. Those who criticize, don't understand.

His unique personality, his rebellious spirit, his embrace of traditional Americana elements, combined with the avant-garde influence that hides just below the surface. Pure brilliance.

He struts the stage like a defrocked preacher on the decks of a swaying pirate ship adrift on an angry ocean, in a world where every continent has been swallowed up by a terrible bloodthirsty tide sent from hell to wash away all of mankind's greed, arrogance and sin.

Of course, I'm just talking about Bob's fashion sense. His music is pretty blurg these days.

But love those coats, love those hats.

Posted by McTarnahan | October 7, 2009 2:22 PM

Despite all the negative talk about his shows, I saw him play last summer. The venue was very wierd--the borgata in Atlantic City--but I thought Dylan and his band were amazing. Maybe it was fairly low expectations, but I found him to be energetic and charismatic and while his voice isn't a technical marvel, it's got cool and in its unique way, power. And there's no disputing that his band is great. I'm very glad I took a flyer on it, even at $100.

Posted by Miguel | October 7, 2009 2:37 PM

Robert ZiMEHman

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 2:51 PM

@2:22 Great post. You totally had me fooled. I thought you were going to talk about masturbating.

Posted by Kurt C | October 7, 2009 3:03 PM

I wish Pete Seeger would cut off his electricity now. That crazy young whippersnapper with his electrical Gee-tar and his indecipherable lyrics.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 3:04 PM

It always make me laugh when I gauge the people around me at Dylan shows trying to grasp what's going on. If you know the songs they are easily recognized from the opening chords, and yet there are people who won't start clapping with recognition until the first chorus kicks in--if then. People just don't really listen. They are complacent and want everything neat and familiar.

Admittedly, the songs sound very different from the recordings, but I find that incredibly appealing. Bob Dylan doesn't pander to the crowd because he doesn't want or have to--he's fuckin' Bob Dylan and if you embrace that you'll be richly rewarded.

Since my big fan of Dylan days in high school (which I graduated from ten years ago--holy Christ) I have seen him live over a dozen times. Never seen a bad or dispiriting show from the man.

Go.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 3:14 PM

If you love him and have never been, def go, but just understand that there's a strong chance it's going to suck. High hopes and low expectations, that's what I say!

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 3:24 PM

still saying "hater" in 2009? wow. probably also still saying "hipster"

BV's excellent review of his last NYC gig: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2008/08/bob_dylan_prosp.html
"It was as if parents were taking their kids to the zoo to see "The Dylan" before it's extinct".

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 4:09 PM

What words are we supposed to be using, 4:09pm? I left my 2009 manual at home.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 4:56 PM

people who complain about dylan just show how lame they are. this is the one guy around who truly gives you a different show every night. i've seen him twice at two very different venues, indoor and outdoor, supporting two different albums, and he and the band were magic each time. if you don't like a real show with the greatest fucking musical legend on the planet, go home and listen to itunes and pretend youre some asshole in the sixties. dylan as an old man is as cool as it gets.

Posted by truth | October 7, 2009 6:30 PM

dylan is better now than at ANY time in his career.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 7:22 PM

dylan was the original punk rocker. without him there would be no punks or hipsters.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 7:23 PM

Tangled Up in MEH.

Posted by Thin Man | October 7, 2009 8:26 PM

Dylan should get Jay Reatard's back to back him up

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2009 9:07 PM

Go. It's Bob Dylan.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2009 6:20 PM

Forget him. I've seen him about 6 times in the last 30 years, and after the last time in 2006 I knew it was over. Indecipherable and monotonous renditions. It's an embarrassing pity he doesn't quit.

Posted by vz | November 2, 2009 7:33 PM

This is a shot in the dark, but does anyone know the doors / set times for tomorrow night?

Posted by Curious George | November 16, 2009 4:38 PM

I've seen him three times - once in 2006 and twice in 2007 and all times it was great, especially the 2007 shows.

I suspect most people who complain about his shows, expect him to sound like he did in the 60s. If you've heard his recent albums, then you know what he sounds like now and that is the style all the songs will be played in, even your precious old favorites. If you like his new style, you shouldn't be disappointed.

His singing voice is pretty much gone and he pretty much speaks the lines (once again, if you've heard the recent albums, you are aware of this) but his unique phrasing makes up for it. All of times I've seen him, his voice has been clear and understandable. The only way you would not know what song he was playing, is if you didn't know the lyrics as he does play around with the arrangements of many of his songs, making them almost unrecognizable musically. This is not a bad thing at all. Most great performers do this. It offers a different experience seeing them live and a chance to hear a version of a song not many people will hear.

So go enjoy some Dylan and quit being a fatty-boom-batty douche.

Posted by Berb | November 18, 2009 12:34 PM

Oh and not to mention his band is effin' incredible. Great drummer, great guitarists.

Posted by Berb | November 18, 2009 12:37 PM

Bob is Bob.... whatever he does it's Bob of the day, interesting and lovable on the stage.....
Shake it up thats fine......Just let Bob be the focus. Charlie Sexton seems to be wanting too much attention on stage. The other band memebers support Bob in a really talented and devoted solid low key way. Thats cool ... but Charlie Sexton, regardless of how talented a musician he is, just isn't what people come to hear. It's Bob we want.
Charlei should step back or move on. The other guys are grooving fine wihtout him and in a far more low key- less " look at me" way.
I vote for Beloved Bob any way he wants to sing it and Charlie finding his own gig to showcase his stage antics and yes I admit talented playing.,,,,,,
It is though Bon we come to see and hear.

Bob thanks for a great Thunder on the Mountian et all. It was a pleasure to see you tonight and also enjoyed the venue.
I'm grateful you keep going.

Posted by Lizzie | November 19, 2009 1:07 AM

Sorry to miss the shows. Love to see you live. Happy Turkey Day!

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 3:48 AM