Posted in music | pictures on October 21, 2009

photos by Tim Griffin

"Nathaniel Rateliff and The Wheel winning over the Music Hall crowd in a huge way, and for good reason." - my Twitter

The Wheel

"I hadn't heard Nathaniel Rateliff & The Wheel before last night, but they were a very pleasant surprise. Rateliff's voice, which reminded me of the Tallest Man on Earth's Kristian Matsson, strikes the perfect and rare balance between soothing and powerful. I'm going to buy his record now, and I suggest you do the same. Assuming you like Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes and autumn." [L Magazine]
Speaking of his record, I found out last night that Nathaniel Rateliff has signed to Rounder Records who will probably release the debut album by "Nathaniel Rateliff & The Wheel" sometime in the Spring of 2010. In the meantime, you have three more CMJ chances to see The Wheel. Those dates along with more pictures from their set at the BV showcase at Music Hall of Williamsurg last night (10/20), below...

Nathaiel Rateliff & The Wheel - 2009 Tour Dates
Oct 20 - Music Hall of Williamsburg - Brooklyn Vegan Party Brooklyn, New York
Oct 23 Pianos (SKEWER CMJ 2009) planetary group / future sounds day party NY, NY
Oct 23 Bowery Ballroom - High Road showcase NY, NY
Oct 24 - BrooklynVegan/Bowery Presents day party @ Pianos NY, NY
Oct 30 - Bottleneck Lawrence, Kansas
Nov 12 - Fox Theater Boulder, Colorado
Nov 13 - Bluebird Theater Denver, Colorado
Nov 14 - In the Venue Salt Lake City, Utah
Nov 17 - Bottleneck Lawrence, Kansas
Nov 18 - The Blue Note Columbia, Missouri
Nov 19 - Peoples Court Des Moines, Iowa
Nov 20 - Turner Hall Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Nov 21 - Majestic Theater Madison, Wisconsin
Nov 22 - First Avenue Minneapolis, Minnesota

Yo Moma!

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2009 1:46 PM

Agreed! I watched this show jaw dropped and drooling. NBD. Congrats to a great show BV. Way to capture the moment Tim.

Posted by shotgun salute | October 21, 2009 1:48 PM

I loved these guys last night!!! Does anyone know if they have an album out? I couldn't find it on itunes.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2009 3:27 PM

Fuck yeah. Denver!

Posted by John Wenzel | October 21, 2009 3:46 PM

Incredible voice and beautiful arrangements. I'm really digging the Wheel. Go Rounder for discovering these guys. Can't wait for the album.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2009 6:24 PM

they blew everyone away. psyched to see the rest of their cmj shows. real solid songs. melodies, lyrics...no indie rock novelty dance party bullshit.

album is coming out this spring according to BV (above).

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2009 6:25 PM

The Wheel is the best!!! GO JAMES!!!!

joshua

Posted by Joshua Trinidad | October 21, 2009 6:30 PM

Both the singer and the guitar player did a band called Born in the Flood for a number of years up until recently (they have an EP, a record, and a bunch of stuff that never got released). The Wheel was the folky side project...

Julie, on bass, has a band called Bela Karoli you can check out in the meantime as well.

All are a great sampling of what Denver has to offer.

Posted by Ryan | October 21, 2009 10:07 PM

The Wheel was the best band of the night for me, hands down. My friend who came completely agreed. Thanks for a great evening of music, BrooklynVegan!

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2009 10:46 PM

The Wheel slept in Manasquan the night before their show Congratulations on a great performance!

Posted by ronand terry | October 22, 2009 12:26 AM

does anyone know when the album actually comes out? i have the wheels album but it's just not the same

Posted by Kate | November 29, 2009 7:04 PM

With all this talk about high definition footage, I hope they will also release it on blu-ray. It makes no sense to shoot HD and only release it on a standard definition format.

Posted by kurtlar vadisi pusu | February 19, 2010 9:59 AM