Posted in metal | music | pictures | tour dates on October 13, 2009

words by BBG, photos by Chloe Rice

Om @ Europa
OM

On the eternal quest towards enlightenment, Om played Europa on 10/11 as part of a four band bill that included Ben Chasny solo project Six Organs of Admittance, Lichens, and Naam. Though Om is traditionally a duo, the new (and in my estimation, interesting) direction on God is Good sees the band going outside of their traditional roles, and as such Robert Lowe of Lichens joined them on stage to embellish with percussion, guitar, keys, and tons of effects. NYCTaper was on the scene, and recorded the entire show for your enjoyment. Get that here.

If you happened to miss Europa, then you have a few chances to catch all of the bands in the coming weeks. First up, Om, Six Organs of Admittance, and Lichens plays NYC again (Bowery Ballroom) tonight (10/13). Tickets are still on sale.

The remaining band from the Europa bill, Naam is playing a ton of shows in the coming weeks including the BrooklynVegan-BBG Day Party at Fontana's on 10/23! Full dates for Naam are below, which include Iron Age at The Charleston on 10/17, the Tee Pee/Chronic Youth Day Party on 10/22 at Cake Shop with Priestess, Nebula, Hull, and others, as well as their official showcase at Union Pool on 10/23 with Priestess, Weird Owl, Nebula, Quest For Fire, and many more.

Outside of Om, the duo are staying plenty busy. Al Cisneros will be at Le Poisson Rouge on 11/15 with Shrinebuilder (who recently added Rwake and Liturgy to the bill) while Emil Amos will be back for CMJ to play with Holy Sons.

More pics and video from the Om show, and Naam tour dates (that also include some December Priestess and Early Man dates), below....

Naam

Six Organs of Admittance

Six Organs of Admittance

Six Organs of Admittance

Six Organs of Admittance

Om

OM

Om - "Inerrant Rays of the Sun/To The Shrinebuilder Pt. 1" @ Europa Oct 11th, 2009

Om - "Inerrant Rays of the Sun/To The Shrinebuilder Pt. 2" @ Europa Oct 11th, 2009

Om - "Cremation Ghat I" @ Europa. Oct 11th, 2009

NAAM - 2009 TOUR DATES
Oct 15 2009 @ Union Pool - NAAM LISTENING PARTY! Brooklyn, New York
Oct 17 2009 @ The Charleston with Iron Age Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York
Oct 19 2009 @ Cake Shop with Bad Dream and Crackula Manhattan, New York
Oct 22 2009 @ Cake Shop - Tee Pee Records CMJ Day Party! Manhattan, New York
Oct 23 2009 @ Fontana's - BrooklynVegan CMJ Day Party Manhattan, New York
Oct 23 2009 @ Union Pool - Tee Pee Records CMJ Showcase! Nebula, Quest For Fire, Weird Owl and more! Brooklyn, New York
Dec 4 2009 @ Pianos with Quest For Fire and Weird Owl Manhattan, New York
Dec 5 2009 TBA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Dec 6 2009 TBA Indianapolis, Indiana
Dec 7 2009 TBA Madison, Wisconsin
Dec 8 2009 @ 7th Street Entry w/ Priestess & Early Man Minneapolis
Dec 9 2009 @ Empty Bottle w/ Priestess & Early Man Chicago, Illinois
Dec 10 2009 TBA Detroit, Michigan
Dec 11 2009 @ Mohawk w/ Priestess & Early Man Buffalo, New York
Dec 12 2009 @ TBA w/ Priestess & Early Man Brooklyn, New York

(unrelated: Thx for booking local natives)

Posted by Anonymous | October 13, 2009 10:10 AM

too many talkers during six organs. + the sound was horrible.

Posted by Anonymous | October 13, 2009 10:20 AM

OM was incredible at Europa. Adding the guitar/effects/chants brought things to another level, Emil Amos is a better live drummer than their former drummer (sorry, purists, it's true) and Al fucking killed it on bass. Seriously considering seeing them again tonight.

Posted by panopticon | October 13, 2009 10:31 AM

bring back Sleep!!

Posted by JT | October 13, 2009 12:15 PM

whose puke is that? you know its a good show when people are vomiting. I hear Naam is working on a tone that makes the whole audience spew. Siiiiick.

Posted by lukeman | October 13, 2009 12:16 PM

The crowd was louder than Six Organs. I am sure they would have played more than 4 songs if the people in the back would have just shut the fuck up

Posted by Anonymous | October 13, 2009 1:14 PM

The show was solid but the drummer was way too flashy. Its like he was competing with himself to see how many cymbal accents and rolls(that weren't even that tight) he could throw in. There's a thing called space that works really well for this band and Im not sure he gets it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 13, 2009 1:25 PM

Great show indeed. The rack toms could've been louder, but a kick as show indeed. I agree, Email rocks the house!

Posted by venison | October 13, 2009 1:43 PM

I think Emil works just fine in Om, and I've seen Chris play w/ them as well. Different styles, but Om is Al's vision.

Posted by Anonymous | October 13, 2009 2:27 PM

New drummer makes different aesthetic decisions and takes a lot of the space and texture and mood out of that band with speed and really, really excessive playing and filling.

Live and on record it's a totally different thing than it was, I just liked it better before. I was also unsure about the weird orientalist shrieking that Rob Lowe did.

Posted by Anonymous | October 14, 2009 3:19 PM

1:43pm is right--Email DOES rock!

Posted by Anonymous | October 14, 2009 3:21 PM

People wouldn't have been talking during 6 organs if they were worth listening too. Stick to the coffeehouse.

Posted by Jack Crank | October 14, 2009 5:06 PM

Turn and face the strange naysayers.

Posted by Anonymous | October 15, 2009 5:17 PM

I couldn't help noticing the flash in the photography. I've been enjoying photography for the last 20+ years, during which time, technology has obviously changed radically. I love seeing live music and most of the bands I see are in the 'underground' vein where there's no policy against photography and venues and bands pretty much just let anything go. However, as much as I would love to take pictures, I'm confounded on two fronts. One, as I just go to shows where I really want to be, I'd much rather be trying to lose myself in the music than play the role of a photographer. Two, I've never subjected a band to flash photography at close range. I know with higher quality cameras you can compensate with changing ISO speeds and get good pictures without flash, but all I've ever had are either 35mm or digital cameras that would need a flash, and the problem is, I feel like a total asshole taking flash pictures of a band playing on stage at close range. Maybe it's just me, or maybe I had a bad empathetic reaction to Maynard James Keenan's complaining about it (fuck Puscifer, that shit is all about the money), but it seems...I don't know...intrusive, rude, obnoxious, disrespectful. But what do I know? I'm just a hermit/recluse who thinks the Democrats are fucked, the Republicans are way beyond fucked, every one of the bloodthirsty teabaggers should be paying 90% income tax to pay for the wars they love, the United States is a dying empire, the Iraq and Afghanistan wars are crimes against humanity and are creating exponentially more terrorists than they can ever hope to eradicate, George W. Bush (Dubya, M.D., yes, _I_ made that shit up) is and always will be a war criminal and traitor who should be hung from the neck in public until he is dead, prostitution should be legal, all drugs should be legal, the bible is a toxic mix of historical facts and mythology believed by hundreds of millions of sheep to be the infallible 'word of god', the life of an American is not worth 10,0000 times the life of an Afghani civilian, the continued existence of any species of plant, fungus or animal is worth more than the lives of thousands of humans. Learn to swim. Learn to swim. Learn to swim. Learn to swim.

Posted by Jeff | October 22, 2009 2:29 AM

i love rants

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2009 10:23 AM

St. Vitus is real METAL. Anyone who doesn't think so should give up their metal badge.

Posted by شات كتابي | October 1, 2010 2:45 PM