Posted in To Do | music on October 1, 2009

Free Show Tonight in New York City...

The Polyphonic Spree and DJ Lord (from Public Enemy)
Tonight 10/1/09, 7pm @ Webster Hall.
Text NEW YORK to 68405 to get the code that gives you and one friend free admission.
Must be 21 and over.
Sponsored by Southern Comfort
I last posted about this show in July, and the impression I get from a few emails i got, is that there is plenty of space for whoever wants to go tonight (and who follows the instructions above).

yeah, them polyphonic skills know how to throw a party. I hung out with them at some Williamsburg Loft thing and they had hummus with capers in it. You should have seen it... It was amazing!

By the way, if you text that number, they ask for your birth date, and the feller at the door will let you in once you verify with your ID. The door man is also a cool dude and he always wears a nice sweater.

Posted by the man with the mustache | October 1, 2009 5:17 PM

Does anyone know what time they go on at? I want to make sure I can make it!

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 5:19 PM

The Polyphonic MEH

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 5:21 PM

i went to the boston one and they had free soco drinks all night, so yeah.

Posted by jason | October 1, 2009 5:28 PM

this is what I was told:

Doors at 7:00
DJ LORD at 8:00
The Polyphonic Spree at 9:30 til whenever

Posted by brooklynvegan | October 1, 2009 5:29 PM

polyphonic cult

Posted by scarytown | October 1, 2009 5:34 PM

the polyphonic spree people love their snacks. I heard backstage they have soco, hummus with capers, Malted milkshakes, and even a fruitbowl with star fruit in it.
trust me... These dudes know how to Rock Out!

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 5:36 PM

does the polyphonic spree still do that one stage act where the one dude that plays the triangle does a hackey sack session with the bongo player.
They used to do that on the 2007 tour.

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 6:17 PM

I heard that The poyphonic spree show will be giving away free southern comfort whiskey and free cow bells to the first 200 people. Then you can play with the band when they play their new hit single, "cow bell lovers of the galaxy"

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 6:32 PM

I wish they were giving away Hummos with Capers instead of cow bells. Those tunes of theirs always make me get a serious appetite!

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 6:35 PM

Polyphonic Spree and Public Enemy--opposites attract? Do listeners of the former act really chow down on Southern Comfort?

Posted by Regular reader | October 1, 2009 6:38 PM

yeah... It would be strange to see chuck D sippin on soco. However, everyone loves hummos with capers, so its a safe bet he will be backstage chowing down with polyphonic spree crew.

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 6:44 PM

Does anyone know how to get backstage? I would love to get in on the hummus with capers snack session.

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 6:52 PM

"Hummus with Capers" is rumored to be the name of their next album. I read in some Zine that most of their inspiration comes from the phyto-nutrients that are contained in the capers.
I think there was also one guy in the band that said he smokes the capers before each concert they play. He said it makes his Kazoo playing much more frantic and enjoyable.

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 6:57 PM

Someone's put SoCo in the Polyphonic Kool-aid!

Posted by Regular reader | October 1, 2009 7:29 PM

i wish it was tripping daisy

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 7:31 PM

has anyone really tried smoking capers? Maybe those polyphonic kids are on to something here!

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 7:35 PM

Capers don't do much for me. I tried smoking them a few times too, but no luck.
That drummer in polyphonic spree smokes them though... But he will smoke anything. Last time I saw him he was smoking an old USB cable out of a gravity bong.

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 7:40 PM

I always thought that whisky was a nice compliment to hummus. So it makes sense that they got southern comfort to sponsor their show.
I think they will be selling small containers of hummus with capers in it at the merchandise table.
This could be the best show of 2009. The polyphonic chef makes his Tahini with extra virgin olive oil!
Don't Miss this show! (and don't forget to bring some napkins)

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 7:49 PM

I was at my local falafel store yesterday and when I ordered my hummus, I could have sworn that the man behind the counter was humming a polyphonic spree melody.

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 7:54 PM

that person who asked about how to get backstage...
all you gotta do is bring back some pita bread, and they will let you in.
And yes, we will share our hummus with capers with you.

Posted by polyphonic member | October 1, 2009 7:57 PM

capers are a very exotic flavor, and combining it with hummus sounds like pure genius! The polyphonic spree are really wise to come up with such an exciting snack. It goes to show you just how talented these musicians are.

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 8:01 PM

Hummus with Capers does sound really good right now. I'm gonna just go there and hang out at the merchandise table and dip my pita bread in hot girls hummus all night.

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 8:14 PM

at this show. very few people here. terribly long dj set is still going strong. set list is in front of me. looks decent.

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 9:25 PM

I'm backstage with polyphonic now, and you should see the size of this hummus bowl !!!!!!1!!!!!!one!!!eleven!!!!1!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 9:53 PM

that DJ was playing some serious hummus hits!
-ode to chickpea
-the hummus shake
-welcome to the tahini-dome
-Turkish spice makes me nice
-shake rattle and roll the pita bread.

The entire club was dancing crazy like!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 9:58 PM

Polyphonic just came on stage and it appears the lead singer has an olive oil stain on his sleeve. They really had a crazy te with the capers backstage! Its all over the greenroom!

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 10:05 PM

polyphonic spree afterhours is at Mamouns Falafel on St. Marks! Free Hummos with a wristband!

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2009 11:18 PM

humMEHs

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2009 1:50 AM

Wow, these posts could be coming from one person. Still, they're very funny, the funniest thread on BV that I've read in a while!

Guess what I'm buying after work, when I go to the grocery store!

Posted by Regular reader | October 2, 2009 10:54 AM

I just vomited a little. Yuck, hummus.

Posted by Donna | October 3, 2009 11:17 PM

I just saw the drummer from polyphonic spree at the local market. By the looks of what was in his basket, they may be touring again... He had loads of dried chickpeas in there.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 2:23 AM