Posted in music | pictures on October 9, 2009

photos by Vincent Cornelli

Mars Volta

The Mars Volta are on tour. Last night (10/8) they stopped in NYC to play a 90-or-so minute set at Roseland Ballroom...

"good times. I was basically dead center...maybe 20 or so rows back. crowd was pretty good I guess. most smoke I've ever seen at a show ever. cedric said something along the lines of "pheww" when they came out. good setlist...could have seen a little more frances the mute representation but its all good. the drunkship bass solo was solid, but I wasnt feeling pridgen that much on that song.. that will forever be a theodore song. all of the new songs were tight as hell, especially luciforms. waited outside afterwords. I only saw juan walk away with some friends, but he had his hood up and didnt look like he wanted to talk so I didnt bother him. cant wait for philly yo." [Exoskeletallanterns]
Anyone have the setlist? More pictures below...

Mehrs Volta

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 10:48 AM

I wonder if there was any extended guitar jamming at this show?

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 10:58 AM

santana

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 11:00 AM

awesome show

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 11:03 AM

did anyone request any ATDI songs? Mark my words - reunion within the next year or so. The cash cow is calling. T5 here we come!

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 11:05 AM

11:05
highly unlikely

Posted by (((unartig))) | October 9, 2009 11:09 AM

Cedric hinted at a possible reunion over the summer...

CBZ: I don't know what to say about that really. We've been making amends with a lot of the members and having some really good talks with them. And we've been trying to get our financial business in order because a lot of people have been ripping off that band really badly... as far as the business side goes. I wouldn't mind it. Y'know, it might happen, we just have to iron out a lot of personal things. A lot of it we've dealt with already and I've apologised for a lot of things I've said and the way it ended... we'll see what happens.

full interview:

Teflon
Drunkship of Lanterns
Luciforms
The Widow
Wax Simulacra

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 11:33 AM

yessss setlist thank you :)

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 11:37 AM

"11:05
highly unlikely"

i wouldnt say HIGHLY unlikely. maybe just unlikely. but my fingers are crossed for coachella '10

Posted by bobby the rookie | October 9, 2009 11:38 AM

Amazing photos. This is one of the best sets I've seen on BV in a while. This collection has close-ups, full-scenes and small details - what every concert photographer should show.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 11:39 AM

Ever hear of At The Fucking Drive-In?

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 11:47 AM

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 11:48 AM

Vegan - Why did you select this Exoskeletallanterns character for the only review? Complaining about someone smoking, really?

I've seen them I think 6 times now, and this is hands down, the best show I've ever seen from them. They were tight, direct, on point. Their musical selection (with a larger catalog to choose from) was all their heavier and faster tunes, no droning jams. The few jams preformed was heavy. And rad.

Having seen them so many times throughout the years, its really interesting to see how their shows have evolved. I remember when I first saw them in the Tabernacle on that Frances the Mute tour? They droned on and on, endlessly boring the frat kids in the crowd, those days are long gone. The musical selection was just sick.

While some people complain of the time, show was just about 1hr 30min, I actually didn't mind it as much, considering my last show in Chicago was about 2hr and 15min, and it was just too much. I love how they are experimenting and changing up their show formats... They are moving in an awesome direction.

I don't want to discredit the whole band, because they are all sick, including Omar who is just nasty, but.... no one beats Cedric on stage right now. He is insane. I don't think people appreciate what they just saw...

Posted by Neil | October 9, 2009 11:51 AM

11:38
you are right. I based my "highly" on what went down in 2001. didn't know that they are actually talking to each other again. I guess some folks finally quit drugs. on the other hand, I don't see a reunion 'incentive' for the part of ATDI that became MV as their current band is bigger than ATDI ever was. so if this really happens, the offer/guarantee must be pretty fucking good. well, I don't really care either way to be honest ;-)

Posted by (((unartig))) | October 9, 2009 11:54 AM

^^ Seriously?

Ever hear of At The Fucking Drive-In?

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 11:55 AM

weren't you guys cool in 99 and saw at the drive in when they were around? or were you too busy with the verve pipe?

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 11:57 AM

Thanks for setlist. Really bummed to miss this show, but $45 tickets and at Roseland Ballroom, with it's notorious shit sound, decided to pass. Hope they come through again in 2010. Great band, great new album...

Posted by brian roach | October 9, 2009 12:00 PM

What an amazing show. best time.

Posted by jennythebandit | October 9, 2009 12:07 PM

wow someone just learned to use the iphoto contrast slider.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 12:08 PM

Great incentives for a reunion - Cedric mentioned the high quality coke they will get!~

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 12:11 PM

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 12:14 PM

12:14
omg, I see people dancing in that video. cedric... omar... DO SOMETHING....

Posted by (((unartig))) | October 9, 2009 12:16 PM

@11:57
The Verve Pipe > The Verve

don't ever forget it...

Posted by Tin Lizzie | October 9, 2009 12:26 PM

@11:39 - thanks!

@12:08 - i dont use iphoto, and contrast is rarely adjusted...if it is, it's the last part of my edit...but yea, i like to edit/switch things up...no doubt, at all. if you'd like me to show you what i do...just let me know.

while some may disagree, id rather use the tools available to deliver the best photos i can...and contribute photos in a different style than what you may be used to seeing.

all the same, thanks for the input.

was a fckin dope set.

Posted by vinny | October 9, 2009 12:30 PM

further - if you look at the 7th image, what you may be referring to...that wasnt touched at all...peace.

Posted by vinny | October 9, 2009 12:36 PM

11:51, I'm Exoskeletallanterns. Haha I dont know why they picked my review either. I wasnt in anyway complaining about the smoke. I honestly didnt care at all. I was just detailing what the crowd was like. Great show nonetheless.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 1:02 PM

vinny, there's gobs of noise in those photos. possibly from the jpg compression for the web? the noise plus the heavy saturation doesn't look so hot too me... too each his own

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 1:29 PM

1:29 - bitter photoblogger

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 1:44 PM

these photos look about the same as most photos on here. why are people bitching?

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 1:45 PM

love the band but wasnt about to pay 50$ to see them play at roseland. no thank you. 25$ ok but cmon.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 1:57 PM

Posted by anonymous | October 9, 2009 2:01 PM

boring prog rock yawn city

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 2:12 PM

Seeing the Mars Volta at the Axis in Boston on their first album tour was the worst concert I ever attended.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 2:15 PM

great photos

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 2:26 PM

As a photographer who shoots a lot of nightlife and concerts, it's nice to see someone take chances in post-processing, an effort often overlooked by people on the sidelines.

(@12:07 PM) Contrast slider or not, the pics are unique - just like any Mars Volta fan will tell you about a live show. The lighting changes more often than your average band - similar to Tool and Radiohead's lighting-approach. I would argue that the software used in this series is irrelevant. Because they're great shots of a band that's not easy to shoot.

Posted by Julian Mackler | October 9, 2009 2:37 PM

THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 2:44 PM

Hey 2:15 - Good call. Saw them at the TLA on their first tour and they were god awful. Only saving grace was Saul Williams & Rye Co

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 2:50 PM

Saw them one their first tour, amazing show
Never see them again - why?

Well, because they suck now.

And DAT DA TRUF 8===D~~~

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2009 3:04 PM

@2:01- band had roadies breaking down the gear withing seconds of the last song. lights were up. we're gonna stand there and chant Encore? i thought 55$ for 90 minutes was a big fat fuck you to fans.

don't get me wrong, i still had to mop my face up off the floor. but entirely too short. and mentioning their light show in the same sentence as radiohead is blasphemous. TMV's background picture was really trippy and all. but the lights were pretty standard red, blue, green and a strobe. twelfth tier jambands have better lighting.

loved the show. love the band. but i don't gush over last night just because you love them. have a little objectivity. they raged. BUT it was too short. too expensive. lights were lame. crowd was young and hip (kids waited in line for wristbands not knowing what they for "we thought we all needed them")

Posted by jon | October 9, 2009 3:05 PM

Those who skipped because of the sound, too bad.
I can understand skipping because of the price.
The sound was better than at Hammerstein or Terminal 5 where I have also seen them.
Don't know if that's because of the Roseland in comparison with those two places (personally I think the sound tends to suck at both of them unless the soundmen really know what they're doing) or if it is because the band is more stripped down than they were then (without a rhythm guitar or sax).
Whatever the reason, it was less muddy and less of a dull roar.
Very crisp ... as loud as ever, but that's what earplugs are for.
I was surprised when they stopped at an hour and a half, but I wouldn't really say I was disappointed---there was plenty of great music packed in to that hour and a half & I think they're getting better than they were before in terms of complex interplay and just sheer power and jamming.

Posted by anonymous | October 9, 2009 10:48 PM

baaahahaa
not only did i get a setlist... if you can see the kid with the big hair in the front in some of the pics

thatsameee =))) stellar show

Posted by Karsten otto | October 10, 2009 12:01 AM

"What the hell was up with the crowd though? Everybody started walking away without even chanting for an encore! that was the first concert I have ever been to where there wasn't an encore. And they were playing so well live! was it just that everybody had a big massive headache from the music?"

they never play encores. haven't played one since the deloused era (2003?). the fans all know that so that's why it's pointless to chant for one.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2009 11:51 AM

I wanted cicatriz :(

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2009 2:59 PM

11:51
yea at the end Cedric said thank you and then they ran away

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2009 3:04 PM

Two MBRS of the Mars Volta will be in Austin Nov. 8 AND...........................

from Transmission Entertainment:

SUNDAY NOVEMBER 8th
MOHAWK: ...The Trail of Dead, Dark Meat, An Albatross, Au, Free Moral Agents (w/Ikey Owens of The Mars Volta), Zech Marquise (w/Marcel Rodriguez-Lopez of The Mars Volta)

Jim Ward's always n Austin AND playing the next Friday:

The Revival Tour:
Fri Nov 13th-Red 7 9:00pm
Feat: Chuck Ragan (Hot Water Music), Jim Ward (Sparta/At The Drive-In), Frank Turner, Konrad (Possed by Paul James), Jon+Chad (Drag the River)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Posted by Hmmmmmm.......... | October 12, 2009 5:51 AM

OK, just prayin for an ATDI reunion, maybe FFF suprise or during that week? ^^^

Posted by TXn | October 12, 2009 5:56 AM

This was my 5th TMV show and I'd have to say that it was probably the best I've seen them. As much as I love Omar's guitar play, I think that the potential of Cedric's voice is finally being met (both on Octahedron, and at this last show). The only thing I'm pissed about is having missed Son Et Lumiere and Inertiatic ESP because I was 10 mins late. Yeah, we all left wanting more than just the 90 mins, but that just means that it was an excellent show.

Love the pics.

Posted by bobbysketch | October 12, 2009 12:23 PM

ever fuck at a drive-in?

Posted by Anonymous | October 12, 2009 1:46 PM

I was there and thought they really sucked (as did my friend). The sound was shitty and they sounded horrible. Like 3 or 4 songs were good and the rest was just intolerable. Please people, be honest. Just because you love a band doesn't mean that they can't have an "off" night.

Posted by Mike | November 4, 2009 4:09 PM

great show.... can someone please give me some info on the stage graphics ... this is how long if been researching hahaha

Posted by maria | November 8, 2009 5:57 PM