Posted in MP3 | music on October 5, 2009

DOWNLOAD: Vampire Weekend - Horchata (MP3)

Vampire Weekend

Noisecreep: Who are some of the young musicians you admire?

Alice Cooper: There are some very inventive people. Jack White is incredible, because he goes against all the rules. He makes records that really are kind of sloppy and yet his voice and his guitar make it work. Everything that guy does is catchy. I am very encouraged that a lot of bands sound like they're going back to the garage and they're not depending on high-tech crap to be their music. But two guitars, bass, drums, and a lead singer, to me that's rock 'n' roll.

I do get a little annoyed that it seems like a lot of bands that come out now that I read, "The greatest band that I've ever heard." And I see them and I go, "There's absolutely no testosterone in this band." I heard the title Vampire Weekend and I thought, "Oh, man, that's gonna be great. I gotta see it." And there are these guys with little Gap T-shirts on and they're singing about I don't know what, it was so light I couldn't listen to it. And I'm going, "What happened to the balls in rock 'n' roll? Why are American bands so wimpy?"

I'm getting a lot of bands that are kind of going, "Oh, the summer in the rain and aren't lightning bugs wonderful?" And I'm going, "What kind of drug are you on?" I think if you asked Ozzy, Iggy and all the other people that come from our generation, we're kind of hoping the young guys step it up a little bit when it comes to being guys.

Alice Cooper will probably not be checking out the new Vampire Weekend record, Contra, which comes out January 12th, 2010 on XL. It's the follow up to their 2008 debut that recently ranked #51 on Pitchfork's Top 200 Albums of the 2000s.

After a myserious countdown on VW's site, the new album's first track, "Horchata," was posted as a free download today. In turn it is/was/will be posted to every blog on the Internet including this one. You can find it above to download at your convenience. After listening to it, I'd say I think they are on their way to continued success. Album art above. Album tracklist below...

Contra tracklist
1. "Horchata"
2. "White Sky"
3. "Holiday"
4. "California English"
5. "Taxi Cab"
6. "Run"
7. "Cousins"
8. "Giving Up the Gun"
9. "Diplomat's Son"
10. "I Think Ur a Contra"

Vampire Weekend - 2009 Tour Dates
October 6 - Montreal - Le National
October 8 - Toronto - Horseshoe Tavern

um, vampire weekend . . . why? it's like the whiffenpoofs started a ska band. why would they do that? what do the whiffenpoofs know about ska? NOTHING. it's senseless.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 4:45 PM

Hipsters are gonna be all over this garbage hahahahahha....

Let me know what it sounds like kids in Williamsburg/Bushwick!

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 4:46 PM

I really wish this band wasn't releasing more music. Terrible.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 4:46 PM

...it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 4:47 PM

the cover of the record is cool. i've never heard this band though, and don't want to.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 4:48 PM

Agree with Alice Cooper.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 4:48 PM

That album cover does not bode well

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 4:48 PM

yeah, I totally wish that all new music sounded like a more macho version of ozzy. cause we all know how awesome oz fest was. and there definitely aren't enough bands these days that sound like the stooges... wait a second...

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 4:50 PM

alice cooper is responsible for some prime-time garbage, but also for some great stuff. at any rate, he's right on about the horribleness of VW (although for the wrong reasons: there's nothing wrong with testosterone-less music, if done creatively -- e.g. belle & sebastian).

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 4:50 PM

i know that if i listen to this band i will turn gay.

Posted by homo phobe | October 5, 2009 4:56 PM

Well, when you hear the name Belle & Sebastian, you can pretty much guess what you're in for. I see his point with the name Vampire Weekend.

Plus they are ovary-fueled for sure. Are all four guys in that band like a Ken doll?

Posted by soy salami | October 5, 2009 4:56 PM

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 5:03 PM

Go listen to Killing Time - "Brightside" already...

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 5:04 PM

Alice Cooper should check out WAVVES. He fucking cuts people.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 5:11 PM

Sleeze, hate, the city never sleeps...

"Brightside" might be one of the greatest records of all time.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 5:18 PM

"not the biggest VW fan, but is alice cooper's opinion even relevant anymore? has he done anything worth a shit in the last 30 years?"

@ Anon 5:03.

What the fuck have YOU done?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 5:20 PM

I do not like this cover at all.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 5:23 PM

sounds like jj.

Posted by jan janson | October 5, 2009 5:24 PM

Alice Cooper should check out all the bands Black Bubblegum champions.

Posted by drewo | October 5, 2009 5:26 PM

Alice, you were so awesome in 1971. and 1972 and 1973.

in 1974 you were no longer awesome, and mega wuss ballads like "You and Me" and "How You Gonna See Me Now" would seem to render you unfit to compare yourself to Iggy or complain about anyone else's lack of testosterone

"When I come home from work
I wanna wrap myself around you..." Jesus

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 5:29 PM

the band is clearly super defensive about their ball-lessness. from the pitchfork interview, answering the criticism that his band is the opposite of punk:

"I mean, I grew up in New Jersey listening to the Ramones, the Clash, Elvis Costello, and I was always keenly aware that a lot of punk was created by people who came from middle-class backgrounds...But even trying to engage in that conversation is ridiculous and petty, because essentially it's just a bunch of college-educated people trying to compete for who has it tougher"

i agree that being punk doesn't mean you're poor. but its about the music, and his music is the opposite of punk. he could have grown up in a homeless shelter and his music would still be ball-less. cause he has no balls. which is okay i guess, but listening to the clash doesn't change that. i mean, i listen to mozart but i'm in no way any closer to being an 18th century member of a royal court.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 5:37 PM

Did anyone actually listen to this shitty song?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 5:38 PM

"Oh, the summer in the rain and aren't lightning bugs wonderful?"

I don't get it either, Brother Alice.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 5:51 PM

This band went from bad to worse. This song is so cutesy wootsey it's sickening. If I'm in the mood to listen to You Can Call Me AL 2009 Islands blow these pansies away.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 6:00 PM

^^i tried to give a listen...made it through 4-5 seconds. vampire weekend should wear some eye make up, a boa constrictor, and have fake blood packets in their mouths for their next show (oh and blow their hair out with like 4 cans of aqua net) - that would rock so hard.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 6:01 PM

Oh, come on! Vampire Weekend is a great little barbecue record.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 6:05 PM

sounds better than high places and the other sh!tty bands that play market hotel, shea stadium, etc.

Posted by what?! | October 5, 2009 6:18 PM

Sounds like VW have drank too much man-horchata.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 6:18 PM

fuck this band. seriously. fuck this band.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 6:27 PM

Shit sound like the Lion King soundtrack. NEXT!

Posted by beanbagz | October 5, 2009 6:38 PM

this is a cool song, but I agree that the album art is awful. also horchata is pretty gross.

also, totally over the vampire weekend backlash. I can't believe there are so many people still brimming over with hatred for this band... I'm guessing these are the kids that just heard of vampire weekend and "hate it that they've got too big GRRRRRRRR"

Posted by monsoonseason | October 5, 2009 6:43 PM

The F. Scott Fitzgerald of American Indie Rock

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 7:01 PM

Agree with monsoonseason. What is so bad about Vampire Weekend? Their first album was pretty solid, their live show is fun, and I guarantee you they've done a lot more than any given BV poster who is sitting in Williamsburg typing on his Macbook complaining about them.

As for Alice Cooper, well, I don't think anyone would've ever expected him to like them anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 7:18 PM

Alice is a total douche. if Alice had his way everything would sound like Iggy, Ozzy, and Alice. gimme a fucking break. how boring, and how condescending. Alice wrote some good songs, but he would have been nobody w/o steve hunter. Alice may not like it but times change and people's taste change.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 7:24 PM

Uh 7:24, Alice Cooper was already HUGE before Steve Hunter played with him. And thanks for teaching us all about time.

Posted by Anon | October 5, 2009 7:32 PM

That song was about as refreshing as a glass of ginger ale with stale ice cubes

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 7:55 PM

5:03 AC's high point in the last 30 years was his brilliant cameo in wayne's world. Musically, he's been kind of an embarrassment.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 8:05 PM

everything I need to know about Alice Cooper I learned from one of the many commercials he appeared in.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 8:13 PM

As as having balls, music does have to be metal to have some weight to it... like listening to 1968's Cream Wheels of Fire sounds so much of the laughable mp3s I get linked to on a site like this and that get written up here.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 8:40 PM

Regardless of if the song has "balls" or not, what's the point of releasing a track from an album that's not out in 3 months? I mean, the audience this group appeals too consumes music in one afternoon. If the record's ready, put the damn thing out. The days of the "big opening day" in terms of CD sales are over.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 8:47 PM

Vampire WeekMEHnd

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 9:20 PM

who is alice cooper and is she hot?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 9:49 PM

this track is really weak....it goes nowhere (which a lot of vw tracks seem to do)...most of the songs on the self titled are a lot better than this. it feels awkward to listen to it...

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 10:11 PM

I think you're wrong, 8:47. There are some promotional wheels that need to get greased, and I'm sure the band picked a good time for them to tour behind the record, a symbiosis type deal that will help increase ticket and album sales, which in turn helps generate extra press when the album charts high, etc.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 10:56 PM

i have hummus on my balls.

Posted by nathan williams | October 5, 2009 11:03 PM

I'm not going to go on about whether or not rock n roll bands need balls because it's stupid. But the best bands that come out are inventive, exciting, and dangerous in some sense, whether it be that they challenge the idea of their own commercial viability or if they just elude established expectations of what a band needs to be. Vampire Weekend are just embarrassing. I'm not nervous or giddy because loafers are going to enter rock n roll. I'm just bored. There's no need to make this a dumb macho guys vs. intelligent wimps thing. It's just easy listening for college kids and it sucks.

Posted by disarray | October 5, 2009 11:15 PM

Alice Cooper should keep his mouth shut. Aside from "Love It to Death," his catalog is thinner than the dudes in Vampire Weekend, but only half as good looking.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 11:26 PM

^^completely agree, disarray

Posted by texastab | October 5, 2009 11:30 PM

10:56,

I, guess, so. But then, Why release this 3 months ahead of schedule? We get to the point where it goes:

1) Single posted on MySpace/Website, whatever
2) Single downloaded by many. Shit talked/praised
3) Album leaks two weeks out
4) "It's not as good as the old stuff, maaaaan"
5) By the time the "new" album is available, no one cares that much outside the first week.

I'm just saying, if they want release it in the dog days of January that's fine. Put the single out a week or so before so people will still be talking about it then.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2009 11:40 PM

"who do you love, who do you love, who do you love?"
-that's rock n roll.
fuck you
peter

Posted by DEMOCRATIC SOCIALISM | October 6, 2009 12:28 AM

Well, they're a big band now, 11:40. Two sold out nights at Terminal 5 is impressive. Who's to say they couldn't have done a third? Bands like that do some build-up to sell records, which requires a bunch of lead time. Monthly rock publications want the notice so they can start working on coverage for down the road, and putting together the long tour to coincide with the album release requires checking a multiplicity of appropriate venues for availability and then consequently turning out an itinerary. And all the other stuff that comes with a big album release that we aren't even gonna get into.

For folks like us: sure, you are basically right. We are relatively jaded and cynical and (presumably) right in the middle of the indie rock thick of things, and are just oh-so-over VW.
We saw them play Southpaw or Maxwell's or that LES outdoor ampitheater thing and we just aren't that excited, anymore (although I still like them and want to hear the album).

But there are masses of young people out there in remote stretches of the US who are going to get really excited about the release of this record, and get psyched about the date the boys schedule that is a two-plus hour drive from where they live (the first time they will see them play), and they will follow every small marketing detail along the way--the full album performance for Stereogum or Spinner, the dropping of another track or early b-side or remix) and then buy the album right when it comes out, and when it charts at like #4 on the Billboard opening week, even more people who have never heard of VW and that you (and even I) have some pretty unneeded (and probably unfair) contempt for will hear about these guys for the first time and buy their record. They will get even more popular and all the right people will notice it.

This is a good strategy for Vampire Weekend, even if it isn't helpful for you. You are no longer the person they need to reach. You read BrooklynVegan, and are a member of a market that has already embraced and abandoned the band--you won't be necessary in sustaining them, however, and they have no need to cater to you. You are going to sneer either way, and approach the whole enterprise in maximally judgmental way regardless of the music's quality (not that I have any real idea how good it'll be either)--you already totally are.

Anyway, that's a fun little summation of what I understand about marketing a big-ticket album. I hope it was informative.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2009 12:30 AM

If Contra is a great album, it will be in spite of "Horchata"

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2009 12:30 AM

I couldn't agree more. Many of these whimpy (Pitchfork Approved) idie bands today just put me to sleep like Animal Collective, The National, Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, Modest Mouse, Decemberists, Sufjan etc...and especially Vampire Weekend. They are terrible. They look like nerds and play watered down 80's music. We were watching them on SNL just cracking up laughing. I'll take YYY's, White Stripes, LCD, Raveonettes, St Vincent, Gogol Bordello, The Rapture, BRMC, bands with some personality that will get out of your seat. On the other hand, anon 4:50 & disarray 11:15 are correct. You don't have to rock to be great, just creative. I love listening to current acts like Cat Power, Calexico,Neko Case, or José González.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2009 12:32 AM

can we get some lyrics on this song....i swear i heard "looking back you shouldn't have farted"

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2009 12:34 AM

that girl has coke hair.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2009 12:46 AM

Didn't Coalesce play a couple weeks ago...when they were called Rorschach...

coalesce will eat all your babies

Reggie for life!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2009 12:57 AM

this new song is as annoying as the album cover. and I had expected to like the song.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2009 6:24 AM

I hope for Vampire Weekend's sake that this is the worst song on the album. I liked the first lp. This song is half baked by half. And yeesh, can he use the word "horchata" maybe about twenty more times?

Posted by soy salami | October 6, 2009 9:35 AM

B+, not accounting for ivy league grade inflation.

Posted by pugatch | October 6, 2009 9:39 AM

I would love a summary (in 30 words or less) of why this is not the shittiest song I've ever heard in my life

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2009 10:04 AM

Anyway, I'd hit it, but only if she keeps the polo shirt on.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2009 10:10 AM

most overrated band/album of last year

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2009 10:31 AM

Dear 10:04,

If this is the shittiest song you've ever heard in your life you've lived for a few hours. Which is probably about right. Here, fewer than 30 words.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2009 10:33 AM

12:46 is so right.

Total coke hair.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2009 10:41 AM

Wow, I hope the rest of the album is better than this. Sounds like a lot of work went into the production, which is fine - it sounds nice. But this melody is completely uninspired.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2009 10:44 AM

what's coke hair?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2009 11:17 AM

i wonder how much Polo paid for that cover

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2009 11:43 AM

I remember when Alice was relevant.

True story, he now plays golf with a friend of mine's dad in Phoenix. Goes to his church, too. Not there's anything wrong with either of those things, just that the next time I take advice from a person who does them, it'll be about laxitive and tax-free derivatives, not what "rocks" in his antiquated opinion.

I'm tired of people trying to make other people feel bad about what they like. Alice, and most of the haters on this little board, can go fuck themselves.

Posted by unclaimed smegma | October 6, 2009 11:51 AM

coke hair

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2009 12:18 PM

Funny, in Spanish we say someone has horchata in their veins when they are too wimpy, wussy, etc. Seems to apply!

Posted by me | October 6, 2009 1:17 PM

I like the album cover and I'm not even a big fan of the band. That font gets my dick hard and the photo kinda says, "this chick looks like one of our friends but it's from 83'". And I'd definately rack a few with her.

Posted by Jeff in CA | October 7, 2009 7:50 PM