We Were Promised Jetpacks @ Southpaw Friday (more by Dominick Mastrangelo)
tonight in NYC
* Digital Primitives @ Zebulon
* The Roots @ Highline Ballroom
* Tanya Morgan, Black Sheep @ SOB's
* Tune-Yards, Dragons of Zynth @ Union Hall
* An Evening Without Monty Python @ Town Hall
* Akiko Yano, Will Lee, Chris Parker @ Joe's Pub
* Lights, Stars of Track & Field @ Mercury Lounge
* Wovenhand, White Hills, Silver Summit @ The Bell House
* Sufjan Stevens, Cryptacize @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* The Honorary Title, Good Old War, Cory Branan @ Maxwell's
* Lou Barlow & The Missingmen, John de Vries @ Mercury Lounge
* Ex-Humans, Human Eye, Liquor Store, VLC, Terrible Twos @ Don Pedro
* Bushwick Book Club: A Confederacy of Dunces @ Goodbye Blue Monday
* The Toxic Avenger, Mixhell, Franki Chan, Alex English @ Studio at Webster Hall
* Darlings, Snakes Say Hiss, Boogie Boarder, Tony Castles @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Twilight Sad, BrakesBrakesBrakes, We Were Promised Jetpacks @ Bowery
* Steve Martin & The Steep Mountain Rangers, Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys @ Carnegie Hall
Lou Barlow & The Missingmen and John de Vries (of Agitpop) play Mercury Lounge, kicking off what looks to be a solid week at the venue. There's Kurt Vile & The Violators tomorrow and Thee Oh Sees on Thursday (both with Still Life Still and others), then Pierced Arrows on Friday and Drummer (the Black Keys side-project) on Saturday. For all of those bands, minus Kurt Vile and Lou Barlow, it isn't their only NYC show. And Barlow will be back in November with Dino Jr.
Detroit's Human Eye spend their second night in a row in NYC.
A trio of UK acts The Twilight Sad, BrakesBrakesBrakes and We Were Promised Jetpacks play Bowery Ballroom. Their Southpaw show happened on Friday.
Steve Martin & The Steep Mountain Rangers bring bluegrass (and openers Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys) to Carnegie Hall. They play NJ's Wellmont Theatre next week.
Bushwick Book Club tackles John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces at Goodbye Blue Monday tonight. Acts include Herb Scher, Susan Hwang, Isaac Gillespie, Josh Deeter, Preston Spurlock, Laura Brenneman, Maria Sonevytsky, Matthew Varvil and Ben Berlin. A flyer is below.
Sufjan Stevens and Cryptacize move to Music Hall of Williamsburg for NYC show three of four.
The Roots are at Highline Ballroom.
Tune-Yards (Merrill Garbus of the recently broken-up Sister Suvi) plays Union Hall with Dragons of Zynth. She's going on tour with Dirty Projectors in November (incuding that band's 4 NYC shows at Bowery Presents venues).
Mission of Burma's new video for "1, 2, 3, Partyy!" is posted below. It's the first song their new Matador LP, The Sound The Speed The Light, out today.
Damian Abraham, of the Polaris Prize-winning band Fucked Up, goes record shopping. Video below.
City Sonic: Damian Abraham (Fucked Up) at Rotate This