Posted in books | music | tour dates on November 17, 2009

Velvet Underground

Former Velvet Underground members Lou Reed, Maureen Tucker and Doug Yule will make an extremely rare joint public appearance on Dec. 8 at the New York Public Library. The three will discuss the Velvet Underground's music and legacy with rock journalist David Fricke as part of the "LIVE from the NYPL" series.

The unprecedented reunion of the legendary New York band comes on the heels of the publication of "The Velvet Underground: New York Art," a new compendium of previously unseen photographs, poster and cover designs by Andy Warhol, Lou Reed's handwritten music and lyrics, underground press clippings and other reviews, flyers, handbills and posters. The book, published by famed Italian book house Rizzoli, contains a recorded conversation between Reed and Tucker as well as contributions from Vaclav Havel and Jon Savage.

The event will take place in New York City at the Celeste Bartos Forum in the NYPL's Stephen A. Schwarzman Building on 5th Ave. and 42nd St. General admission tickets are $25, and $15 tickets are available for library donors, students and seniors through the NYPL website. [Billboard]

It's tricky wording ("unprecedented reunion of Reed, Tucker and Yule, on Tuesday, December 8th, LIVE from the NYPL!", but I guess we have to assume that the three band members will NOT be playing music. Anyone know for sure?

The book that the library event is celebrating (The Velvet Underground: New York Art), is not the one pictured above. The pictured book is another new one (by music critic Jim Derogatis) called The Velvet Underground: An Illustrated History of a Walk on the Wild Side.

The Velvet Underground changed lineups many times. Notably missing from the library event are John Cale (alive and well) and Sterling Morrison (RIP). The band formed in 1965. Doug Yule replaced John Cale in 1968. Lou Reed left in 1970, and then the band didn't even break up until February of 1973. Drummer Maureen Tucker was in the band the longest (though technically she's not an original member - the very first drummer was Angus MacLise - RIP).

Lou Reed is playing (or maybe not actually playing) music at Columbia's Miller Theatre on Friday, February 5, 2010.

On October 30th, Lou Reed joined Metallica at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame concert at MSG in NYC for a rendition of "Sweet Jane". It will be aired on TV Thanksgiving weekend, but you can watch audiences videos of it below. Metallica just returned for two headlining shows at the same venue the other day.

Moby performed "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" at a concert in Paris on November 13th. Video below.

One day later (11/14), Lou himself performed in Prague with the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Jirí Belohlavek. It was a concert in honor of the 20th anniversary of the Velvet Revolution (not to be confused with Lou's band with a similar name). Renee Fleming joined Lou for a beautiful and operatic version of "Perfect Day". Suzanne Vega also performed at that show. Check those videos out below too...

ROCK HALL Metallica with Lou Reed Sweet Jane

Moby Concert à Paris 2009 - Take a Walk on the Wild Side de Lou Reed

Renée Fleming - Lou Reed - Perfect Day - Prague 2009

Suzanne Vega played at the same show...

way to make me think they were playing together, d-bag

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2009 9:44 PM

"way to make me think they were playing together, d-bag"

Was it this part that tripped you up?

"assume that the three band members will NOT be playing music"

Posted by brooklynvegan | November 17, 2009 9:51 PM

When I met Maureen Tucker a few years ago, she gave me the overwhelming impression that she wasn't drumming anymore. She seemed like she has settled into retirement... however, you never know when they might break into Heroin on acoustic instruments just for the hell of it.

Posted by Brian F. | November 17, 2009 10:33 PM

Suzanne MEHga

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2009 10:46 PM

$25 for a discussion group?

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2009 11:05 PM

Pfft, no Cale

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2009 11:16 PM

great job BV, the event info, the clips from prague, just great.
got my tix, thank you!

p.s. it's obvious this is not a musical event.
and yes, i'll pay 25 to hear those three talk.
a certain sell out.

aren't you getting depressed sometimes from the dumbness of those commentators and their crankiness?

Posted by danny boy | November 17, 2009 11:55 PM

Purchased.

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2009 11:59 PM

I agree, no Cale? Who could possibly have more to say about the VU's music besides Reed?

Posted by jim | November 18, 2009 12:50 AM

Nice comprehensive posting! Seriously. That took some work!

Posted by Brian | November 18, 2009 4:22 AM

i wondered how long until the first cheap, ignorant motherfucker posted here - congratulations 11:05!

please PLEASE just go see some hipster brooklyn band and don't even pretend to understand the significance of this event, let alone put forward mock indignation at the cost. you are a complete loser.

that said, cale would be a BIG plus.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 7:49 AM

Moby Concert à Paris 2009 - Take a Walk on the Wild Side de Lou Reed

Posted by nsk bearings | November 18, 2009 7:49 AM

I sat next to Lou Reed AND Laurie Anderson at New Green Bo in Chinatown about 5 years ago. True story.

I about shat myself.

Posted by tengo | November 18, 2009 7:55 AM

and, sure enough, it's sold out already.

fuck nuts./

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 8:13 AM

i just got a ticket, not sold out yet. Thanks so much BV for making light of this! I would have had no idea other wise. I'm a huge velvets fan and will be coming up all the way from Tennessee to see this.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 8:51 AM

Mehlvet Underground

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 8:54 AM

Doug Yule sucks bigtime

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 9:08 AM

Doug Yule co-wrote and sang lead on "Candy Says". He mostly definitely does not "suck bigtime".

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 9:14 AM

I know it's the Billboard writer, but it's not "unprecedented." VU did reunite and tour Europe in the 90s, so it's not that weird that they would do something again.

More importantly, the Doug Yule albums are better than the John Cale albums, 9:08.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 9:26 AM

7:49,

as a matter of fact i spent $65, $75, and $90 to see Reed perform last year. well worth it. the two Reed discussion groups I went to were boring as hell. he is notoriously guarded and never really opens up about anything, and btw, didn't say anything that was already common knowledge.

"the significance of the event". who are you their press agent? they're pushing a new book and want to get some publicity for it.
the second coming of jesus christ? don't think so.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 9:33 AM

Tucker still plays, though her outpost in GA is pretty remote. Saw her twice in 2001 and 2003.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 9:37 AM

Don't knock Doug. Important part of "The Velvet Underground" (3rd album) and "Loaded" albums and of course the "Live from Max's..." album.
Lou Reed quote in about 1972 on WLIR-FM during live appearance promoting first solo album on RCA. When asked about Yule's whereabouts, Lou replied: "Dead I hope."

Posted by donn | November 18, 2009 9:49 AM

9:37-- no offense, but 2003 was six years ago. I met her in 2007 and she didn't look like she couldn't really bang away on the drums anymore. It will be amazing just to see them together like this.

Posted by Brian F. | November 18, 2009 11:12 AM

Sweet I love Velvet Revolver

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 12:39 PM

I just got a call from the ticket co. saying that "due to an employee error" the show was really sold out when I bought my tickets. Fucking lame.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 1:40 PM

yep, got the same call. bummer

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 1:42 PM

same here, really sucks!

Posted by anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:01 PM

Yep, apparently it was actually sold out before BV made the announcement because I got mine about two minutes after this post went up... and just got the call saying I've been bumped. Anyone have an extra?

Posted by Brian F. | November 18, 2009 2:13 PM

Hmm... wow. So I haven't gotten that call. I assume I'm in the clear...?

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:17 PM

That call didn't just suck... it's freaking OFFENSIVE. What the fuck is wrong with SMARTIXX that they can;t fucking handle selling tickets to a library event that seats a mere 500 people?

Idiiots!

THe library should take away it's contract with them and go through ticketweb or ticketmaster.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:18 PM

someone at smarttix should be fired over this.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:18 PM

Just curious. Those who got the call, did you order regular tickets or Student tickets?

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:19 PM

yes that employee should be let go.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:19 PM

Had the same situation last night, and my order never went through. I must've tried ten or fifteen times, and whenever I hit purchase tickets, it wouldn't connect. What a shitty site.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:28 PM

I just got the call, this sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:29 PM

Obviously this ticketing company cannot handle even the simplest task... the one and only thing they are in business to do... which is sell tickets to an event.

They should go out of business.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:32 PM

SMARTTIX SUCKS!

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:33 PM

I wanna know who the employee is!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:33 PM

FUCK! i just got the call

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:34 PM

Just got the call. What a bunch of morons must work at Smarttix.

What the hell is Smarttix anyway? Never heard of it before. This was my first purchase with them and they fucked me.

Fuck Smarttix!

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:36 PM

Brian F, you are wrong and probably did not purchase right after the post went up. It was not sold out by that time. I purchased tickets at around 2am and got through fine and no call cancelling.

Might also be due to the fact that i made the print out selection so i already have my tickets printed out and ready to go.

It was not sold out though by the time the post went up.

Should be an excellent night. Thanks Vegan for the heads up.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:36 PM

BOYCOTT SMARTTIX!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:37 PM

2:38: Don;t be so cocky. They are still in the process of calling a lot of people. They may not have gotten to you yet. Just because you printed iy out is meaningless. They will not honor it and they will reverse the charges on your credit card.

It was indeed sold out when the post when up. Thee option to purchase tickets came back up late in the evening. I purchased tickets earlier than 2am, and I just got the call.

Yes, should be an excellent night, but you might not be there either.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:43 PM

If your print out is a barcode then all they have to do is cancel that barcode and your print out means nothing.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:46 PM

2:43, i am 2:39 and you have no facts to base on you saying that it was sold out before the post went up.

Oh and I just called Smarttixx and checked and my order is fine.

So i guess having the print out was not meaningless after all.
and yes it will be an excellent night and I will be there

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 2:54 PM

Anonymous 2:54 is a smug douche. 15 people post how they're upset that their order got cancelled, and here comes Mr Printout, "I'm going, it will be an excellent night." Fuck off, gloater.

Posted by Someone Who Didn't Even Try for Tix | November 18, 2009 3:05 PM

UGH I just got the call - got tickets at 11:00 last night - this is seriously outrageous!

Posted by Erica | November 18, 2009 3:08 PM

I checked for tickets at midnight and it was indeed sold out. At 1am tihe option for tickets became available. So yes, indeed it WAS sold out initially.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 3:36 PM

I hope that 2:54 gets the call

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 3:37 PM

"and yes it will be an excellent night and I will be there"

Ever hear of Karma?

Obviously not.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 3:38 PM

"and yes it will be an excellent night and I will be there"

I guess you have a crystal ball and can predict the future. You don't know that it will be an excellent night and you don;t know for sure that you will be there.

Continue to be smug and proud of yourself cause you never know what ends up happening come that night.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 3:41 PM

Who the hell is running Smarttix that they can;t figure out how to sell a 500 seat room?

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 3:42 PM

How is Smartix in business if they can;t perform their only function?

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 3:54 PM

Dumbtix.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 3:56 PM

It's possible Lou Reed called up and said "I need 50 seats", so they told people they can't have tickets?

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 4:04 PM

It will be interesting, but I'm not so certain it will be an 'excellent night". Lou Reed is a notorious prick when it comes to interviews.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 4:34 PM

let's break down this "Velvet Underground reunion" shall we:

1. Lou Reed is an asshole

2. Sterling Morrison is dead

3. John Cale will not be there

4. And oh yeah, by the way Mo Tucker and Doug Yule will be.

Not exactly a reunion. Interesting but not a reunion.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 4:37 PM

I bought a ticket yesterday at 12:40 PM just after it was announced and got a call today saying that the show was sold out by that time. I think they are just canceling the tickets of people who chose Will Call since they weren't actually issued tickets and lying about the show being sold out at that time to cover up the later error.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 9:47 PM

acapella version of heroin.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 10:38 PM

"I think they are just canceling the tickets of people who chose Will Call since they weren't actually issued tickets"

That doesn't make any sense. For the people that chose to print their own tickets, Ticketfast/The Library have to have some control over the tickets that you print out yourself, otherwise you could just print 200 of them and sell them yourself. And people that chose the mail option just wouldn't be sent the tickets.

I don;t see how the will call option is any different than the print your own or have them mailed to me options. If they wanted to cancel your ticket they could do it no matter what option you chose.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 12:04 AM

anon. 9:33? the VU are WAY better than jesus.

and if you don't understand the significance of this event, nobody can explain it to you. i've seen reed regularly since the palladium in 1975.

this is NOT the same, regardless of his guarded nature.

btw - did you see him on spectacle w/costello? he was pretty fucking forthcoming if you ask me.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 8:14 AM

unless they perform, it's really not that significant

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 8:49 AM

We got tickets the day before yesterday, and today we got an email saying OOPS you DIDN'T get tickets after all! I feel like some rich fork called in their favors and we plebes got dumped. But if they're not playing, then that's cool! I've heard grumpy Lou being grumpy before. ;D

Posted by Lydia | November 19, 2009 9:35 AM

IF they were playing this would be a whole different deal.

Talking? eh. Go read the book.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 10:25 AM

Personally I'd rather hear Gerard Malanga speak about VU than Lou Reed. Cale would be a bonus, I'm curious to know why he is not on the roster.

I'm sure it will be recorded, use the extra $25 and have dinner at New Green Bo.

On another note I wouldn't be surprised if fatty Julian Schnabel has a VU bio pic up his sleeve in the future.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 7:43 PM

@7:43,

Cale is not on the roster because he does not want to be not want to be part of such a silly event. basically it's a book promotion. i mean srsly what more can be said about the VU that hasn't already been said? If anyone thinks Reed is going to be dispensing pearls of wisdom to all the aging hippies and old punks who show up then they need to get their head checked.

8:14 am: You. Are . A. Moron. You are just the type of person Reed doesn't want at his shows.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 10:43 PM

Cale is not a part of this because he basically hates Lou at this point. Their relationship was permanently fractured after the reunion tour

Still for real VU fans this event is in fact something special

And why the hate for Julian Schnabel. Putting aside his painting and sculptures for a second, Basquiat, Before Night Falls and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly???? Three beautiful films. May i ask what you haters have done lately with your lives?

Oh and anyone who bought tickets after this post went up, if you got the print out you got your tickets. Any other way and you got cancelled. Not fair but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2009 10:39 AM

"Funny Funny Funny to read all the bitterness from people who did not get tickets to this or got their tickets cancelled. Not to mention a lot of folks who know nothing about the history of the VU."

Why is it funny to you that someone would be bitter that they got screwed after legitmately buying a ticket? You are an asshole if that's how you feel. Glad to see you are humored by other people's frustrations. Go fuck yourself.

Contitnue to be smug and self congratulatory and maybe just possibly you won;t be able to attend. Cosmically, I will laugh at you.

And believe me, if you think that someone else that didn't get a ticket won;t end up there by show time(possibly instead of you), then you are very naive

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2009 5:19 PM

Sorry, in terms of the larger picture of the history of the VU, this event really isn't that big of a deal. Lou's a prick and not good in interviews, the other main guy (Cale) won't be there, and the three that are won't be performing any music. They will be promoting a book. This should have been free at Barnes and Noble.

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2009 5:21 PM

5:19 and 5:21(probably the same loser)

Stop your bitter, seething, sobbing. You did not get in. You will live. Now please go quietly off somewhere and fuck yourself

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2009 2:30 PM

2:30 (most certainly an asshole)

Guess what? This is 5:19 The event hasn't happened yet, so you cannot say that I didn't get in. On Dec 9th, if I didn't attend the event I will let you know. Otherwise please shut the fuck up.... and if you want me to stop then why are you continuing to antagonize the people who did not get a ticket?

Anybody that aggressively proud of themselves that they got a ticket to a talk at a library is the real loser. No matter how quick something sells out, anyone that pats themselves on the back that much for being lucky enough to get a ticket obviously has very little in the way of self accomplishments to beat their chests over.

Congratulations.

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2009 4:27 PM

Wait...this event actually costs money??? And people are paying it??? Really???

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2009 12:26 AM