Posted in music | tour dates on November 30, 2009

Grant Hart

Husker Du's Grant Hart just released his first solo album since 1999's Good News for Modern Man. The record, Hot Wax, came out October 6th on Con D'or Records, and along for the ride were members of Godspeed You Black Emperor and Silver Mt. Zion (who recently backed Vic Chesnutt).

Hart is currently on tour behind the new disc, and he plays NYC's 92YTribeca on Saturday, December 19th. Shilpa Ray and her Happy Hookers are also on the bill. Tickets are on sale. One day later Grant appears at Record Collector in Bordentown, NJ.

About the new songs, Hart said, "the song 'Narcissus,Narcissus' is my first attempt at combining ancient Greek mythology and American rock-a-billy. By merging those influences with an ice cream truck atmosphere I think I have found a style that defines this period of my career. 'You're the Reflection of the Moon on the Water' is one of the most organic rock and roll songs that I have ever written. It's style owes a lot to my devotion for patti smith. It was inspired by a comment made by a monk during the selection process to find the next Panchen Lhama, who said of one candidate, 'he is the reflection of the moon on the water but he is not the moon.'"

Bob Mould also has shows coming up including 2 nights in a row in NYC.

Grant Hart album art, tracklist and all tour dates are below...

Grant Hart

Feb 06 Al's Bar Christchurch, Canterbury
Feb 10 The Troubadour Fortitude Valley, Queensland
Feb 11 The Annandale Annandale, New South Wales
Feb 12 Norfolk Basement Fremantle, Western Australia
Feb 13 Northcote Social Club Northcote, Victoria
Feb 14 Northcote Social Club Northcote, Victoria

The bordentown show is with 90's pop punk stalwarts, Weston.

Posted by J | November 30, 2009 9:54 PM

i could check it out, i could go and see

Posted by granthartiwillloveyouforever! | November 30, 2009 10:03 PM

I wonder if he ever got anything close to cleaned up. If only, if only, if only Husker Du would get together again. You kids who never saw them live have no idea how good they were. Or how loud they were.

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2009 11:35 PM

my name is Grant Hart. As I am sitting on this stool all I can think about is how I'd rather be sitting on a toilet....pooping.

Posted by Cuban Night Castle! | December 1, 2009 12:14 AM

Good News for Modern Man was actually pretty decent.

Bob Mould with No Age at ATP, doing those Husker Du songs as fast and loud as the Huskers ever did, really made me curious what Grant's up to

Posted by somewhere dirt is washed out with the rain | December 1, 2009 12:35 AM

Yes they were great live and I doubt they will ever play together again. Its seems like a good fit Grant playing with God Speed as with Vic Chesnutt also.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2009 2:35 AM

Good News is a 4 star record with great songs and Grant playing all instruments. I saw him at Mercury Lounge solo in support of that release and it was real, real good. I think all his demons are way behind him now. Looking forward to listening to this new release.

Bob Mould--dance tracks and professional wrestling script writer?? wtf

Posted by Tin Lizzie | December 1, 2009 7:41 AM

Husker Du is never getting back together. Bob and Grant can't stand each other and Greg wants nothing to do with it. I saw Grant at The Cake Shop earlier this year and it was well worth it. I believe all of his substance abuse problems are long gone. It was good to see him play and he drew from all facets of his career.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2009 8:47 AM

New album is pretty awesome, and seeing him solo is usually a great show. Would love if he played with a band for a change, though...

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2009 10:23 AM

one of the top ten drummers in rock history. what he does on the original version of "in a free land" is unbelievable.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2009 10:58 AM

not sure why this got such a horrible review at P*******k. it sounds like it cost nothing to record, but who the hell cares. good songs.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2009 11:19 AM

I love in "Adventureland" when Kristen Stewart puts on "Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely" in the car

Bob and Grant still making great music-hope they continue to NOT reunite, not that it would ever happen

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2009 11:41 AM

I saw him at Northsix in 2003 or so... great show, but no one was there. maybe 75 people?
I hadn't realized how many Husker Du songs were his until I saw him solo. All my favorites were Hart's..

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2009 12:43 PM

this record is great

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2009 12:44 PM

for a start take two grant harts and call me when you die.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2009 2:29 PM

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2009 3:18 PM

I love all of Grant Hart's solo work and Hot Wax is an amazing work. I love Husker Du and am profoundly jealous of anyone who got to see them live. I don't think there's a single reason Mould and Hart would choose to perform together again. I'm sort of okay with this decision since they are working well separately at the moment.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2009 7:07 PM

"i'm pretty sure that husker du did get together for at least one song recently...didn't they play at the benefit show for karl mueller?"

Bob and Grant shared the stage for 2 songs at
that benefit in 2004. Greg didn't participate.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2009 7:49 PM

Grant was the greater, more comprehensive talent in Husker Du.

Bob was the better businessman.

And Bob with No Age at ATP actually sounded pretty crappy.

Husker Du should never reunite. It would be awful. Some things are better left as they were -- perfect, in the case of the Huskers.

Posted by Lemmy | December 2, 2009 1:19 AM

Many people loved and love Grant Hart's music, in Husker and those who have supported him solo.

But far many more people, while appreciating Hart's essential work with Husker Du, recognize that Bob Mould was the visionary in that band, the man who changed the sound of American rock music in the 80's - his monumental guitar, his inward/outward soul baring songs that balanced velocity and melody in equal measure, his true independent ethos, and gut-wrenching voice.

Grant Hart was and is a great pop musician who was a perfect musical foil for Bob Mould, but it was Bob who changed the scenery.

True that now he is starting to lean on the legacy in his career, but he has every right to nearing 50. Bob's support is still strong out there, but indeed Grant Hart could use some more folks as well...he deserves it for sure.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2009 12:46 AM

Mould is not the same without Hart and vice-versa. Clearly, Bob cleaned himself up quicker after the breakup and Grant sort of disappeared in the 90s. As a result, Bob is regarded as the visionary and Grant, at least in this age, is more of an afterthought. However, back in 1987, it could have gone either way - look what happened with Sebadoh. It seemed 'clear' that J Mascis was the visionary in Dinosaur, until everyone realized how brilliant Lou Barlow was.

I became a Husker fan at the end of 1987 and never saw them live even once. Part of me would kill to see them together, but most of me feels Husker should remain in a certain time and place. Even the bands that reunite now and put out good new material (Polvo, Dinosaur) cant escape the feeling that their time has already passed.

Posted by Jeremy | December 18, 2009 1:26 PM