Posted in music on November 9, 2009

Jerry Fuchs

Gerhardt Fuchs grew up playing the drums in Georgia and went on to perform with bands that toured across the country, but it was in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, that he forged his reputation as a dynamic, driving drummer widely esteemed by his peers.

And it was in that same neighborhood, in the shadow of the Williamsburg Bridge, that Mr. Fuchs, known as Jerry, fell to his death on Sunday morning [11/8] in the elevator shaft of an industrial building on Berry Street. [NYTimes]

Jerry Fuchs, who played with groups including the Juan MacLean, Turing Machine, Holy Ghost!, !!! and Maserati, was 34. RIP

He recently came back from a tour playing drums with Maserati, who traveled with Mono. The tour included two nights in New York and an appearance at Pop Montreal on October 1st.

Juan Maclean wrote, "Jerry was one of my best and most loyal friends. He was hands-down the best drummer I have ever played with or seen for that matter. Jerry was with me from the start of The Juan MacLean, and we had countless adventures together all over the world. He was utterly sincere and fiercely loyal. During a particularly difficult time, while backstage in a club in Chicago, Jerry told me "Juan, I will follow you to the end of the earth and I will always be there for you." That was Jerry, the greatest drummer in the world, the greatest friend you could ever have."

As the NY Post reports, "Fuchs is the second Maserati drummer to meet a tragic end. In 2005, then-drummer Mikel Gius was run down and killed as he rode his bike on a Sacramento street." Mikel Gius was in !!! too.

Maserati clips, which feature Jerry's stunning drumming in a central way, and other videos, below...

The Juan Maclean @ Bowery Ballroom pt2

Maserati live

Maserati - 12/16

Gerhardt Fuchs' Selbstbewusstsein

Jerry playing w/ MSTRKRFT & John Legend on Letterman

RIP - there are a lot of people that will miss you and your bang the drum style. Be good up there...I hear it's a bit quiet. :-)

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 11:05 AM

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 11:11 AM

Very sad. I saw the Mono and Maserati show at the Mohawk a few weeks ago and kept think to myself how good his drumming was.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 11:11 AM

What a tragedy. I'm very sorry for all family, friends, and fans.

I must confess that I'd never heard Maserati before, unfortunately. My loss. What record is the second video (Maserati - 12/16) from? That song - especially Fuchs' drumming - is great.

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 11:14 AM

Never heard any of his music but my heart goes out to his family and friends.That is tragic

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 11:15 AM

saw them at the bowery show last month... dude was amazing. very sad day.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 11:18 AM

He really was one of those drummers who you couldn't look away from. It was hard not to be in awe.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 11:19 AM

Sucks. RIP, dude.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 11:20 AM

this is terrible......RIP

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 11:23 AM

Maserati is the indie Spinal Tap.

RIP.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 11:27 AM

was he high on something when he fell? whats the story?

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 11:43 AM

Fucking awful. RIP.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 11:47 AM

I feel bad but I'm really curious as to what happened. Sounds like a freak accident or something.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 11:50 AM

This is so sad, RIP.

Not that it's overly important but Mike Gius was the old drummer for !!!, not Maserati.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 11:51 AM

freak accident. unbelievable talent. we lost one of the best musicians of our times yesterday. incredible loss.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 11:53 AM

terrible, RIP jerry

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 12:03 PM

RIP dude. truly tragic.

Posted by JT | November 9, 2009 12:10 PM

story i heard was that his clothes got caught on something in the elevator shaft as he was jumping. Pretty horrifying.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 12:15 PM

It's true, he was one of the most amazing drummers I've ever seen, however, his talent pales in comparison to his personality. He happened to be one of the nicest, most generous guys around. I've said this before about people that have passed away, but haven't meant it like I do this time- he will truly be missed.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 12:16 PM

one less molester mustache

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 12:34 PM

Saw Maserati open for Mono at the bell house and it was seriously hypnotic just watching Jerry drum. Not only that, but when he was packing up his kit and talking to the audience and answering any questions he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Fuckin sad.

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 12:35 PM

RIP- phenomenal drummer and performer.

even for those of us who never knew him, he will be missed.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 12:38 PM

@12:34, the urge to be a complete asshole was too great to overcome, huh?

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 12:40 PM

@12:34. you know how i know that god doesn't exist? when people like you are still alive and truly nice and talented people aren't.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 12:43 PM

don't sweat the haters 12:40. Jerry wouldn't have. I've seen the guy take plenty of shit for his mustache or any other number of things, but the second he sat down on stage and started playing, i promise you all of those people shut up completely.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 12:43 PM

If you ignore a douchebag, it doesn't make that douchebag go away. But it makes it much less fun for said bag.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 12:45 PM

one less molester mustache
Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 12:34 PM

Go somewhere loser with dumb comments. We wont miss your rude comments.

Turing machine was an amazing group and so was Maserati. Sounded like a very nice guy too.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 12:48 PM

RIP. he was in 3 of my favorite bands.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 12:52 PM

I'm sorry to hear about this. I met him when Juan MacLean played at the Empty Bottle in Chicago a couple years back. He seemed like a nice guy. My condolences to his family and friends.

Posted by b.w. | November 9, 2009 1:11 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 1:13 PM

"brooklyn vegan, why don't you remove the obviously inappropriate and unfunny comments that some people (like 12:34) here make when you post something about a musician's death?"

Oh, you mean censorship? Great idea. Commie

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 1:15 PM

Guy had chops....RIP

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 1:42 PM

12:34-douchbag who needs their kneecaps smashed.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 1:45 PM

Seriously visit their blog and tell them to shut up about someone they know nothing about.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 1:48 PM

that dude looks gay

Posted by gay dar | November 9, 2009 2:02 PM

fuck man, what a tragedy. he was just a killer drummer. so many senseless ways to die in this world.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 2:08 PM

I put on a show with Cloudland Canyon last year, and Jerry was drumming for them. I never met a guy having so much fun. He was a great drummer for them. So sad.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 3:02 PM

Ah, the BV comments section, always classy.

Truth be told, Jerry Fuchs wasn't the kind of guy who would get his panties in a twist about a couple douches making stupid/unfunny comments.

Best to all Jerry's friends and family trying to deal with a difficult and tragic situation.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 3:57 PM

so very sad. R.I.P.

Posted by sarah | November 9, 2009 4:09 PM

so much for being in an area where the buildings are run down and tarnished

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 4:32 PM

More like date raper moustache

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 4:34 PM

r.i.p. really sad and the stupid comments stink, please remove bv, it is just out of respect.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 4:41 PM

When did he leave !!!?

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 4:50 PM

RIP. sending condolences and strong vibes to all of Jerry's friends and family.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 4:56 PM

Is there a way to track where someone is posting comments from by tracing their IP address? and if so...
BV- any way you could auction off the IP addresses of the commenters who think it's funny to mock the death of someone who was so loved and so recently deceased? I would pay big $ for this information. Could be a good way to raise some dough.

thank you.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 5:36 PM

"Looks like the rightwing blog Queens Crap is having a heyday talking crap about "trust fund kids" they know nothing about. That blog has a way of wrongly stereotyping like no other on earth. Make your comments heard on that blog because they think its funny this good guy and great musician died in a "illegally converted" Williamsburg loft. People have no damn manners in this city."

If you think that was bad, you should see the comments that people posted on the New York Post web site. NY Post surprisingly took some of the more shocking ones down, but still left some up. It's really appalling. They somehow worked their hatred of Obama into some of the comments regarding the story about Gerry.
I can't think of a more pathetic, hateful, disgusting, stupid group of people than the so-called "conservatives". I truly hate them.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 5:44 PM

November 9, 2009 5:44 PM :
The NY Post posters aren't just overly conservative they might be some of the stupidest human beings on Earth. Most of them can't put a cohesive thought together.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 5:51 PM

Such an awful tragedy. Condolences to his family.

Posted by Jamaicafest | November 9, 2009 6:08 PM

that's why i use stairs. if you change the h in his last name to k, what do you get?

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 6:18 PM

MEHserati

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 6:19 PM

don't feed the trolls!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 6:22 PM

Jerry was a sweetheart of a guy with a real spirit. He brought and gave so much joy to a lot of people and will be truly missed .I'm sad to see him go, rest in peace my man.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 6:45 PM

I've been reading about this all day. seriously bums me out that I opped to skip they're show at the bowery ballroom in sept! he was an amazing drummer and I'm sure an excellent human being! RIP and nothing but love to his family.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 6:58 PM

Fuck censorship! However...if somehow one could track the person(s) who post shit...yes, you 12:34...I'd be happy to cut off your fingers so you have to use your tongue to type your next bullshit comment.

Oh and I hope your mother dies tonight at the hands of a bunch of....

Okay, I went overboard.

Jerry, you rocked and we'll miss you. RIP

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2009 7:20 PM

Terrible news. I'll miss seeing him around.
I can only hope he was living the life he wanted until the end.

Be careful out there everyone.

Posted by naj | November 9, 2009 9:08 PM

Awesome, one less democrat!

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2009 1:56 AM

#tryingtoohard

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2009 1:59 AM

rip

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2009 5:36 AM

much love and condolences from this poster to balance out the insensitive remarks

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2009 8:04 AM

i made a somewhat asinine comment earlier on this page. I sincerely forgive anyone that I may have offended. After watching the videos I should just shut my mouth because this guy actually did have ridiculous chops...even if he didn't the comment was still uncalled for. I am a kind and moral person in my everyday life but for some reason I have this feeling to make off colored comments sometimes that I don't even really beleive in. Not sure why this other online personality happens to come out but I will try to beat him down. my bad.

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2009 8:23 AM

8:23 -- Wow. Moved by your honesty. I think we've all found ourselves gleefully typing away some nasty sniping anonymous shit on boards and comments. It's absolutely something to guard against. Thanks for posting what you did. & RIP to Jerry.

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2009 9:31 AM

yes 8:23- you have a conscience. Congratulations!

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2009 9:54 AM

amazing drummer and guy, what a senseless tragedy makes no sense

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2009 11:02 AM

I saw Jerry perform just once earlier this year. I didn't know who he was but told friends after the show that "that dude with the awesome 'stache was incredible"! I hate to hear of this great loss.

Here are some photos I took of Jerry Fuch at that Juan Maclean show at The Earl in May 2009. He is really in his element behind that drum kit.

Posted by William Haun | November 10, 2009 2:34 PM

this is so sad, unbelievable...
life is so tenuous.
i hope he is at peace..

Posted by earth | November 10, 2009 9:12 PM

Man he really got the shaft. RIP Gerry.

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2009 10:54 PM

Saw him once on a rare Turing Machine tour. He's in my top 3 drummers of the last 15 years for sure. Spoke with him briefly while buying a t-shirt. Definitely extremely friendly. Saw !!! from a distance at a festival, and didn't know he was in the band at the time. Would have wandered to the front had I known. Then he joins Maserati, a band who played in my basement in what had to have been 00/01. I thought they were great at the time, but could have used a better drummer. Sure enough, they got the best. I really looked forward to seeing them with him, but never got the chance. I guess I'll just have to keep spinning the records and try to figure out some of his tricks. Here's to hoping some Turing Machine live clips crawl out of the woodwork.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2009 8:31 PM

went to the memorial. everyone was crying. you have to understand how close all these people were. his whole family came. his brother, sister, parents all did monologues. juan did a great one as well. i met his mom, she was the sweetest woman. wanted to know a personal story from my lips. this is an immense loss not just artistically but personally. that's all i have to say.

Posted by anonymous | November 13, 2009 6:05 AM

Jerry was the best drummer in NYC and on the indie circuit...and the best , nicest guy I have met in NYC in the 10 years I have lived here...almost to good, to be so hip...RIP JERRY

Posted by mark | November 13, 2009 9:49 PM

you live by the williamsburg, you die by the williamsburg

Posted by gimmah | November 24, 2009 10:48 AM

That is really sad for the music industry. I am sure a lot of his fans were depressed, too.

Posted by unblock | May 27, 2010 6:32 AM

If you are willing to be assisted by masters, you can buy essay papers for sale and be satisfied with an academic progress.

Posted by DeanneCARVER23 | February 16, 2012 3:57 AM