Posted in metal | music | pictures on November 16, 2009

photos by Paul Bachmann

Metallica

"It's Metallica weekend here in New York and they owned the greatest stage in the entire world last night at the legendary Madison Square Garden. It seems like it's been an awfully long time since they have been at the Garden, at least ten years (obviously not counting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concerts a couple of weeks ago that they participated in). A lot has happened over that time and sometimes you can start to think that there are other bands out there that put on the best live performances. Well Metallica is back to remind everyone that it is them first, then everyone after that. Folks I'm telling you that last night's performance was the best I have EVER seen them (and I have been to at least twelve of their shows dating back to 1986). They were so tight, so phenomenally talented and I know everyone who was at the show last night will agree-there were times when it felt like the Garden was shaking. There were two songs performed last night that will forever go down in the history of the Garden as moments one can never forget- "Master of Puppets" and "Enter Sandman" was two of the most unbelievable highlights that I have ever witnessed on that stage. The total frenzy created by James, Lars, Kirk and Rob was a sight to behold. There is nothing like a Metallica show and if you have never seen them live, you are totally missing out on a once in a lifetime moment every time that they take the stage, it can happen at any moment." [Errol]
Metallica played MSG on Saturday and Sunday night. Lamb of God opened. Both setlists and more pictures from the first night, below...

Lamb of God

3. For Whom The Bell Tolls
4. Holier Than Thou
5. One
6. Broken, Beat And Scarred
7. Cyanide
8. Sad But True
9. Turn The Page (Bob Seger cover)
10. All Nightmare Long
11. The Day That Never Comes
12. Master Of Puppets
13. Fight Fire With Fire
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman
Encore:
16. Helpless (Diamond Head cover)
17. Whiplash

11. The Day That Never Comes
12. Master Of Puppets
13. Dyers Eve
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman
Encore:
16. Last Caress (Misfits cover)
17. Trapped Under Ice
18. Seek & Destroy

band has sucked for the last 20 years. awful set lists too.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 4:57 AM

Awful set lists...I agree.

If I were in the schoolyard picking people to be on my team...I'd pick the bass player in a heartbeat. Bad ass if there ever was one.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 5:17 AM

Awful setlists????

Dyer's Eve, Shortest Straw, Trapped Under ice.... some wonderful rarities for the long time fans, not one hit missing for the casual fan. What's not to like?

Oh I remember, they didnt play Kill Em All in full...

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 5:21 AM

I agree with the above comment..those are amazing songs. The first night set was a lot weaker..but got Fight Fire with Fire,BUT had to put up with Turn the Page..

Posted by Jim | November 16, 2009 6:08 AM

Fuck, knew I should have gone. Helpless?? Are you kidding? Fuck.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 8:34 AM

Try actually attending the concert before you post any criticism. 11/14 was my fifth Metallica show, and they were as good as ever if not better.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 8:48 AM

"if you have never seen them live, you are totally missing out on a once in a lifetime moment every time that they take the stage"

Really sorry I've missed so many once in a lifetime moments. Maybe I'll catch one of them in 2025.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 8:54 AM

I rather go see Metallica then see Pitchfork hyped bands any day.....

Hipsters shows are so boring....why even waste ur time...mind as well just put on a cd and listen to it in ur room....all you guys do is just cross your arms and pretend like you're not playing with your iPhone every 5 mins.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 9:14 AM

They don't play enough shit off of ...and justice for all anymore

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 9:37 AM

Hey 9:14 go play in traffic. Better yet, commence a bro hug ceremony with the rest of yr meathead brethren.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 9:38 AM

Awesome:

For Whom The Bell Tolls
One
Master Of Puppets
Fight Fire With Fire
Helpless (Diamond Head cover)
Whiplash
Seek & Destroy
Creeping Death
The Shortest Straw
Fade To Black
Dyers Eve
Last Caress (Misfits cover)
Trapped Under Ice

Those are some delicious encores, good god.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 9:43 AM

yawn

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 9:45 AM

mehtallica

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 10:01 AM

Great photos Paul!

Posted by Bryan K | November 16, 2009 10:07 AM

Anon is a typical hipster living off of his parent's trust fund $$$.....

GO listen to your Dan Deacon, Girl Talk garbage

Posted by Anon 9:38 | November 16, 2009 10:12 AM

I saw them on Saturday. it's like going to a Broadway show now. everyone can appreciate the evolution of the bad and stop bashing. Be fair in you comments. I was way pissed because I knew where they were going after the show (ahaha) and only Robert stopped for a picture!
PS: I think Kirk might be a little gay but who cares, his music kills!

Posted by j-burr | November 16, 2009 10:12 AM

awful set lists? are you on drugs? night 2 seemed a bit better IMO. Judas Kiss is a fucking sick song. I saw them when they played newark in January and was bummed they didn't play it then. Wish I could have been there. There is nothing like a Metallica show. Maybe some of you guys are too young to appreciate it.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 10:52 AM

I know BBG and any other self respecting Metal fan would have been at Shrinebuilder. Please review
GRACIAS!!!

Just kinda want a fell for what tonight in Austin might be like..besides DOOM-y!

Posted by TXn | November 16, 2009 10:53 AM

they've sucked ever since the black album. sellouts.

SLAYER!!! /m/

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 11:00 AM

slayer? nah. metallica.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 11:08 AM

I don't even know half those songs. I just lost interest after ..and justice. I think "master" was the last metal album they made.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 11:12 AM

11:19

that's not truly crabcore. legs are not in perfect position.

for proper crabcore-

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 11:22 AM

LAMB OF GOD killed it saturday night.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 12:10 PM

Too bad they all didn't die the night Cliff did.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 12:17 PM

12:17- I hope a bus falls on your mother and she dosent die but lives in excruciating pain for the rest of her life

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 12:33 PM

Amazing show. Every time. The crowd volume was crazy.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 1:00 PM

That really is a fucking asinine thing to say 12:17... even for some melancholic prick who is just trying to get a rise of people(it worked fuckhead, happy?), that was pretty disgusting

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 1:19 PM

Metallica are METAL GODS and you all know it. Stop frontin'

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 1:26 PM

I'm into metal for 25+ years and Saturday's performance was nothing short of excellent. No one can diss them after these shows. Really didn't expect them to be so fucking good. Anyone who has anything to say less about it, get the fuck out, you have no clue..go back to your TV on the Radio and Lady Gaga, you stupid idiots.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 1:56 PM

fucking james hetfield!

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 2:44 PM

@IABABEDI:
Your "review" of the Metallica concert reminds me why most people stop listening to metal when they are around 13 or 14.

I did laugh when you wrote "moise vagina." Is he some sort of Hispanic Hasidic rapper?

I guess I just don't relate to the type of male bonding you apparently enjoy so much.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 2:46 PM

I concur. Metallica fan or not, that "review" from iababedi sucked. Don't quit your day job.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 2:53 PM

I was at Metallica last night, and Mr. "Moise Vagina's" review is about as inaccurate as his writing is atrocious. The crowd loved the new stuff, and why wouldn't they? It's just as good as the older material. How many bands can make that claim?

This douche says it wasn't enough? How is two hours of high-octane rock'n'roll not enough?

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 3:18 PM

@2:46 & 2:53

Thank you. I want the 3 mins I spent reading that worthless drivel back, and I'd shocked if IABABEDI even has a day job.

Posted by Funderburgh | November 16, 2009 3:32 PM

I think people are bitching about the setlists because they're heavy on tunes from the latest album when that time could be better spent playing more tracks from three of the greatest metal albums to ever be recorded.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 3:46 PM

I'm definitely not one of the annoying purists who thinks that anything after Justice is crap. In fact, I even liked Load/Reload. Crazy.

The last two albums however, simply don't do it for me.

That being said, I totally understand why they play the new stuff...because I was at the Saturday show, and the crowd was loving it.

There's clearly an audience for those albums, so anybody who bitches that they should only play old stuff is just being selfish and absurd.

If you hate the new Metallica that much, stay home. Nobody is forcing you to go to the show...and nobody cares about your opinion anymore.

Posted by Stitch | November 16, 2009 4:17 PM

I love how all these people say they hate Metallica or they dont even know the newer songs and that they're not fans anymore, yet they all care enough to to read about them...and write about them...it's amusing.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 4:18 PM

of course they are going to play songs from the new album.....b/c it's a new album. Say what you will but the new album fucking rocks. Some real good songs on there. All Nightmare Long and The Judas Kiss are fucking amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 4:33 PM

I went to both shows. I had tickets for only Sat but it was SO damn good I just HAD to go again, and luckily I found tickets.

This concert was beyond awesome, the energy, the fans, everyone and everything and every song was brilliant.

Posted by DieHipsters all of you | November 16, 2009 5:56 PM

world's most tedious angry-clown band, 1986-2009. pretending otherwise is just sad

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 6:09 PM

Metallica were gods to me when I was a kid. They literally changed my life.
Their music ceased being exciting to me when the "black album" came out and I stopped listening to them. Disappointing.
However, after subsequently seeing the documentary "Some kind of Monster", I decided that I HATED them and felt like a part of me had died. I hate to say it, but, man, if they had all died in that bus crash... what LEGENDS they would have been! What a high note to go out on. I would have never had to have witnessed their own humiliation. I actually liked And Justice... but I cold have done without it, for Metallica to have disappeared after MOP.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 6:16 PM

There was a great episode of Metalocalypse about them "getting back to their roots" last night. I can't help but think that it was a jab at Metallica.

I mean just LOOK at modern Metallica... what bunch of douche-bag CLOWNS! So out of touch and pathetic. They couldn't write an interesting song to save their pathetic rich asses.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 6:19 PM

and I dont give a rats ass what you pricks say about new metallica, stop being stuck in the 90's. Everyone has to evolve.

What you say cannot take away the EXCELLENCE the true BRILLIANCE that happend at MSG on 11/14 and 11/15.

They paved the way and they showed what they were made of.

I'm so happy I went TWICE

Posted by DieHipsters all of you | November 16, 2009 9:36 PM

Excellent makeup job Kirk.

Posted by lou | November 16, 2009 10:34 PM

The new album is a good throwback to the days of old, but shit went downhill after justice, period. That is not debatable.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 10:55 PM

i was at the Metallica Concert last night && it was freakin awesome!! great show guys!! The Judas Kiss was the shizz!

Posted by candiiekisses | November 16, 2009 11:21 PM

Metallica is now for people who say things like "The Judas Kiss was the shizz!".

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2009 10:31 AM

Lars Ulrich should die.

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2009 12:42 PM

went to the show on Sat. it really was awesome. it was a good refresher course for me. how great it is to see a great band play like a finely honed machine. what mediocre shit i've been listening to. everything was perfect.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 4:54 AM

If people are wrong about the new stuff, then why has the band spent the last two albums trying to go back to their roots? because since they left their roots, the music has sucked. Accept it. Deal with it. And quit trying to defend crappy music.

Posted by Dr. Diamond | November 19, 2009 11:01 AM

saturday 14 nov was fucking fantastic and anyone who thinks otherwise is a complete moron and has no appreciation 0f metallica past or present. I flew from the uk to new york for this and I loved every rocking metal minute of it. They are the absolute best.

Posted by eaglerock | November 19, 2009 5:05 PM

shit and reshit were terrible, so was St. Fuck, but seriously all their old stuff (up to the black album) and magnetic are amazing. This was easily the best concert i have ever been to by the biggest band ever.

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2010 9:10 PM