Posted in music | pictures on November 19, 2009

photos by Vincent Cornelli

Neko Case

The set was awesome: she played songs from every single one of her albums and each song was accompanied by a group of images or cartoons visuals projected onto a screen behind her.

She also joked about the wattage of the amplifier and her microphone-alluding to her getting shocked by it at her New Jersey show the previous night.

But we come back to her voice. She truly is one of the best singers out there today. She makes singing seems so effortless and simple but the clarity, power, and purity of her voice is worthy of awe. She blew off the roof of Beacon Theatre and all I could say at times was simple: Wow. [TheNinthDragonKing]

Neko Case played six more songs at the Beacon than she did the night before at Wellmont where she was reportedly playing in fear of being shocked for a third time by improperly grounded equipment. More pictures and the setlist from the NYC show below...

Calexico

12. A Widow's Toast
13. Margaret vs. Pauline
14. Prison Girls
15. The Tigers Have Spoken
16. Favorite
17. Red Tide
18. Don't Forget Me (Harry Nilsson)
19. That Teenage Feeling
20. This Tornado Loves You

Encore:
21. Vengeance is Sleeping
22. Lady Pilot
23. Star Witness
24. Train to Kansas City (The Shangri-Las)

Amazing.Music of this caliber, authenticity and feel is incredibly rare these days in any genre,city,scene or studio.Glad I got to experience it.

Posted by Ian | November 19, 2009 1:03 AM

overrated. incredible voice. pedestrian songs.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 1:06 AM

writing her own songs is a bad idea, but she has a moderately nice voice

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 1:15 AM

"she played songs from every single one of her albums"

Not quite. She has forsaken her very first album, "The Virginian." It's not available at the merch table at her shows and I believe she let it go out of print.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 1:59 AM

She been touring a lot. Her shows have been consistently good for quite a while plus she's a humble real person which as said before music lacks now days so often.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 4:48 AM

@1:15...'moderately nice voice'? seriously? name five better ones.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 8:33 AM

I think she has an incredible voice, her band is fantastic, and the sound at the beacon was incredible. But the songs all started to blur together, and the show was pretty monotnous. I wish she would have a little more fun with the songs, and do some of her earlier stuff. Throwing a song like Honky Tonk Hiccups (as goofy as it is) into a set would mix things up quite a bit.
The guys from Calexico were really good too, but they are certainly more exciting to see live, when the entire band is there. The horn section, and the other players make the sound much more dynamic.

Posted by Kurt C. | November 19, 2009 9:08 AM

Neko Case is a perfect 10

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 9:29 AM

I really like her songwriting. It's become a little thornier and less forthright as her career has gone along. Would echo the others who have said it was a fine evening of music and she was in outstanding form.

One thing about her songs is that a number of them are quite short and so her sets tend to feel a little choppy. I'd like to see her either try to re-arrange/extend some of her tunes or mix in more surprises.

Posted by Matt | November 19, 2009 9:59 AM

"I also found it a little weird that Kelly Hogan does most of the talking in between songs."

I figure that's due, at least in part, to the fact that Neko often has to tune a guitar.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 10:29 AM

This was truly a great show. Neko looked fierce in her red dress! And her voice is epic.

Posted by Taylor | November 19, 2009 10:31 AM

She also rarely plays songs off of the second album "Furnace Room Lullabye", and when she does it's usually the same one or two.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 10:36 AM

Referring to Neko Case as someone with a "moderately nice voice" is the stupidest thing I have ever seen in the BV comments.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 11:02 AM

Anom 11:02: Welcome to Turdville.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 11:59 AM

Snore............

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 12:20 PM

BV commenters give the internet a bad name. Yes! the entire internet!

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 12:45 PM

I am rlly confused about the Neko Cases. Nor sure if they are still 'relevant'. At meaningful indie rock shows, I want to surround myself with my altbros and feel 'part of something'. Wonder if the Neko Cases are conceptual enuff. Seems like they are chill in a 2k8 kind of way. Sorta feel like the redhead is 'older' yet 'inspiring' to the wrong kind of ppl. Think I deserve a more 'authentic'.

What do you think of the Neko Cases?

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 1:33 PM

Totally over-rated. Boring. Only fan boys and sycophants dig this crap.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 2:29 PM

Tell us, 2:29. What _should_ we listen to?

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 2:57 PM

Listen to 10,000 Maniacs. Pretty much the same thing.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 4:35 PM

great show. thanks for posting the pictures and set list.

Posted by frank | November 19, 2009 4:36 PM

She sounds like Jewel. Only more pretentious.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 4:38 PM

"Every single one" of her albums? Not quite, buddy. She's pretty much stopped performing anything from Furnace Room Lullabye and has completely stopped performing from The Virginian (although you can't blame her for that one). I have to say, though, I almost didn't go to this show after hearing about the Montclair Incident and boy am I glad I did go. She was SO amazing (though I do think an hour and a half is almost criminally short a set for a venue like Beacon). It's such a shame to me that her songwriting gets worse and her voice, like a fine wine, actually gets better with age...

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 5:24 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 9:31 PM

Looks like she nothing to gain any more fans with this show to offset the many she lost the night before.

Still waiting for my $32 back Nekowanker.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2009 12:04 PM

you say 10,000 maniacs like its a bad thing.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2009 1:33 PM

Still want to know the designer of her stunning red dress...anyone know?? Hazard a guess?

Posted by Laura in NJ | January 3, 2010 6:21 PM