Posted in music | pictures on November 24, 2009

photos by Tim Griffin

Pixies

the "Chien Andalou" film started at 9, band started 9:07, done by 10:30. if you're driving in, note that some streets near venue seem closed for upcoming Macy's Thanksgiving Parade" [Anonymous]
The Pixies played their first of four NYC shows in a row on Monday night at an extremely packed Hammerstein Ballroom (11/23). The mostly-predictable setlist started out with four Doolittle b-sides followed all of Doolittle which was followed by two encores that ended with two of their biggest hits back to back (Where is My Mind into Gigantic).
"the mood was really friendly (Kim kept cracking jokes like "we're halfway through side one" and Frank cracked up at the "God is 7" line) but the big surprise was they had more of Joey Santiago's guitar sound than the slick studio versions, so it was revelatory to hear how raw and loud these songs could get." [Anonymous]
The screens on the back of the stage provided visuals, and most of the movement - you don't go to see the Pixies for a crazy stage show. You go because you love the songs that they wrote (and because you can afford it), and the band do a pretty decent job at it. Like in 2004 at the same venue when they first reunited, I definitely felt a disconnect from the performers, but that's also because of the large venue size.

Black Gold opened the show (instead of Bad Lieutenant). Tuesday night Jay Reatard gets that honor. On Wednesday (at the early show) it's Rain Machine. No opener at the late and final show that same night.

Pixies will also appear on the Jimmy Fallon show on Tuesday night (11/24).

The Hammerstein setlist and the rest of the pictures, below....

Pixies @ Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC - 11/23/2009
"No. 13 Baby"
"There Goes My Gun"
"Hey"
"Silver"
"Gouge Away"

encore1:
"Slow Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf)"
"Into the White"

encore 2
"Isla De Encanta"
some of "Vamos"
"Nimrod's Son"
"Where is My Mind"
"Gigantic"

encore 1: Wave (Surf Version), Into the White
encore 2: Isla De Ecanta, a bit of Vamos, Nimrod's Son, Where Is My Mind, Gigantic

the other song selection they've been using for the 2nd encore: Something Against You, Bone Machine, U-Mass, Where Is My Mind

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 3:50 AM

the mood was really friendly (Kim kept cracking jokes like "we're halfway through side one" and Frank cracked up at the "God is 7" line) but the big surprise was they had more of Joey Santiago's guitar sound than the slick studio versions, so it was relevatory to hear how raw and loud these songs could get.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 3:55 AM

Encores were:
"Slow Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf)"
"Into the White"
2nd encore:
"Isla De Encanta"
"Nimrod's Son"
"Where is My Mind"
"Gigantic"

Posted by Pete | November 24, 2009 3:57 AM

sounds right. updated, thanks!

Posted by brooklynvegan | November 24, 2009 4:01 AM

These are great pictures. Thanks!

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 4:04 AM

what time did opening band start?

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 4:27 AM

opening band went on at 8, played 30 min. long set-up time for Pixies, as usual for them, with weird mix tape playing (Bryan Ferry's "Let's Stay Together," Belly's "Feed the Tree") in the meantime. Kim said "Who's coming back tomorrow? We're playing the same thing!"

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 4:42 AM

Black Gold (the opener) started at 8:00PM.

Posted by tim | November 24, 2009 4:44 AM

Ok, so here in the review and early comments shows you why the Pixies are still playing, why some people still go and why some people do not.

When you have comments like this one:
"the big surprise was they had more of Joey Santiago's guitar sound than the slick studio versions, so it was relevatory to hear how raw and loud these songs could get."

and comments telling all of us in great detail what encores are played and have been played

For those of us lucky enough to have seen them play in their first go round as well as the first reunion tour

WE KNOW, YOU DUMB FUCKS.

There is nothing you are telling us that we don't know. Much like the hipster idiots who think they came to NYC and pioneered something new.

Joey's guitar work has always been like that in the live setting. It is not a shock or surprise or something REVELATORY(yes the original moron commenter spelled it wrong). We have heard all those songs many times over but thanks for thinking you are so fucking informative

It is for these idiots that the Pixies are still playing the same things over and over.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 4:50 AM

Anon (4:50) -

Fair point. Assuming that one's knowledge is !new! and ~*~fresh~*~ is kind of stupid. But I really can't blame 'these idiots' for going to see the Pixies play the same things over and over... if they've never done it before, it's something worth experiencing. That doesn't necessarily make them idiots. It might make them, oh, I don't know... young. Too young to have seen them the first time around. Yes, it's stupid for us young idiots to assume we know anything new, but I'd rather not go my whole life without seeing the Pixies. So, no, I'm not going to come on here and try to explain the Pixies to the veterans (with their cred and giant indie dicks) but I'm still going to go to all the reunions shows I can and freak the fuck out because I wasn't around the first time. Not yet conceived. Not my fault.

Posted by Andrea | November 24, 2009 5:19 AM

Looks like a very talented musical band, I would like to thank you very much for your efforts.

Posted by Home Lighting | November 24, 2009 5:33 AM

^^^^ Maybe if you bend over and kiss your own ass you will have something to be thankful for this week.

Posted by Tom Turkey | November 24, 2009 5:39 AM

It was an incredible show from the Pixies, but Black Gold were just not good. They seemed as if they rehearse in front of mirrors and that their biggest career ambition is to record an HBO promo campaign track. Maybe they're nice people or something, but feh.
The Pixies were tight, tho. I thought they were better than in 04, and I saw them 5 times that year.

Posted by brad | November 24, 2009 5:57 AM

Looks like a very talented musical band

Posted by Longines Heritage | November 24, 2009 6:30 AM

These guys are going to be bigger than Elvis.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 7:17 AM

any merch. t-shirt pics?

Posted by anon | November 24, 2009 7:23 AM

@4:50

Posted by tengo | November 24, 2009 7:45 AM

Based on the many mehs from BV commenters and friends re: a Pixies live show, the band crushed my relatively low expectations. Frank's voice was generally good despite the occasional crack, and Santiago's guitar solos and riffs were solid and great to hear live (as mentioned). The band clearly put the effort forth for a top-notch show and was having fun. Kim was chugging beer - she had to be good and drunk by the time they finished.

Got there at 9 and found some space on the floor in the back. Sound was excellent from where we were standing adjacent to the soundboard. The visuals were helpful - we had to strain to see more than two band members at once.

The crowd was definitely unique. Lots of couples in their early 40s, many of whom had clearly not been to a show in years. I'm in my late 20s and felt like I was watching my parents dance at a wedding. There was also a good deal of hostility within the wall of entitled concertgoers who showed up late and felt short changed for not being able to make it onto the floor (or out of the lobby, really). While trying to return to my friends after buying a $7 Coors Light, whiny park slope losers tried to block me and anyone else from walking back onto the floor.

The merchandising was shameless - the $30 t shirts and $60 sweatshirts and $25 cd packages they were pushing at the door made me sick given the high ticket cost.

So some negative surprises, some positive surprises, and an interesting crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 8:06 AM

AMAZING SHOW!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 8:16 AM

The dude under the Pixies merch sign is my accountant!

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 8:24 AM

anyone know if it was easy to get tix outside?

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 8:57 AM

Plenty of people had tickets to sell outside the venue. One person even offered my group a free ticket.

The show was fantastic.

Posted by Dan | November 24, 2009 9:02 AM

Awesome shots Tim!
Here are a couple of videos from last night:
Here Comes Your Man:
Wave of Mutilation:

Posted by Kurt C. | November 24, 2009 9:09 AM

A few videos from last night:
Here Comes Your Man:
Wave of Mutilation:

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 9:18 AM

fyi: Kim did not perform in the show. It was her twin sister Kelly Deal. Unbelievable she knew all the songs so well and performed as if she was Kim.

Posted by Carrie | November 24, 2009 9:28 AM

How/Why did Black Gold open up? I wonder how many sexual favors they had to conduct in order to get this opening spot!? Jealous of those who are seeing Jay Reatard - prepared to get peed on!

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 9:29 AM

Time for the mansierre frankie !

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 9:41 AM

I was at the show last night... Live Nation should be ASHAMED of themselves for filling the place beyond capacity. The place was way oversold -- so much so that the main floor audience spilled out solidly all the way back through the interior lobby. My boyfriend and I managed go get in a little bit further than that, but not much; but I couldn't see anything at all because it was so packed (I'm 5'6"). I think I caught 3 glimpses of any of the band members the entire time. Now, mind you I was there for the music, but for $50 tickets I expect better (i.e. at least to be in the same room as the performers without difficulty).

I've been to plenty of sold-out shows at the Hammerstein before -- including the last time the Pixies played there -- and it wasn't so ridiculously packed!!

Posted by gwin | November 24, 2009 9:54 AM

@3:50 They've been playing other songs during encores. In Denver, we got Caribou and in Chicago they've played Dig for Fire and Planet of Sound (very jealous about that last one), so I'm sure you'll get those in the rotation at some point this week.

Kinda funny to read how the band "joked" about certain things when it appears they used the same exact lines at every show. Everything they're saying Kim joked about was said exactly the same at the Denver shows.... declaring "b-sides!" to where they are on the album as they play through it. Black Francis even teased her about this at the first Denver show. This band absolutely rocks but is not exactly known for spontaneity or personal fan connection. Though I will say it's nice that Kim is actually trying to gage the audience.

Yeah, this tour is a blatant cash-in but it's still worth seeing, esp. to hear songs like "Manta Ray" and "Silver" live. Very cool stuff... they sound the best they have since their 2004 reunion. Black's voice particularly sounds in fine form.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 9:58 AM

Any good merch??? Looks like from the picture, they had $500 or whatever box set! whoaaa

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 10:02 AM

Agree that the place was insanely packed. There was a very ANGRY crowd near the back, off the floor. Getting a beer was unfun.

The merch. was absurd. Box set was $25. Seems that with the high ticket prices and merch. and other marketing by the band (iPhone app), this is a pretty aggressive money grab from the now deep-pocketed fanbase.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 10:12 AM

INCREDIBLE show! wow!

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 10:17 AM

10:12AM: good point. I was 18 when I saw the Pixies support "Doolittle" the first time; now I'm 38 and definitely have more money (however, I am not crazy enough to blow it on overpriced merch when the originals will do me fine)

Posted by Gwin | November 24, 2009 10:30 AM

Question for anyone in the back - it was clearly a mess back near the lobby and most people seemed pretty unhappy. Who do you think is responsible for the event being filled above capacity, and can anything be done to remedy the situation for these fans?

I've been to crowded shows before but last night was ridiculous - seemed like a waste of time for anyone with floor tickets who arrived after 9.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 10:48 AM

Carrie @ 928A -- clearly you know nothing about Kim Deal.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 10:52 AM

@10:48AM: see my comment a few above yours. This kind of thing is usually the promoter's fault (in this case, Live Nation).

Posted by Gwin | November 24, 2009 10:55 AM

@ 10:48

If you're at a GA show, and you want a good spot, don't get there when the headliner goes on. Get there when the doors open...

(Granted, this place looks like it was absurdly crowded and possibly over capacity but that isn't the point...the point is if a good spot is a priority for you then don't expect to have one if you're getting there when the band goes on)

Posted by Funderburgh | November 24, 2009 10:57 AM

Funderburgh: to be honest, I can no longer stand in one place for hours (back problems? am I old? I don't know) so I always skip the opening act.

That being said, I don't mind being at the back of a GA show... but I shouldn't have to fight to be in the same room as the band!

Posted by Gwin | November 24, 2009 11:02 AM

here is what I think happened:

there were tickets for the floor. there were tickets for the first balcony. and there were tickets for the second balcony. all general admission.

I had tickets for the floor. I walked in at 9 pm, showed my ticket at the door and walked into the insanely packed floor that was packed all the way back to the merch table. nobody checked my ticket to see if I had a floor ticket. Which basically means that anybody with a balcony ticket that wanted to stand on the floor was able to do so. hence the insanely packed floor. I seem to remember ushers in the past at hammerstein checking tix to see what section you were in. this didn't happen last night. oh well. good show nonetheless.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 11:06 AM

you should try to get balcony tickets in the future if you have back problems. but yes, not cool to overpack that much.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 11:12 AM

Funderburgh, I agree with you completely. I got there at about 8:45 and was able to get an okay spot on the floor. That was all well and good - I expected nothing better than a spot near the back, and this show wasn't worth my arriving at 7:00 to hold down a good spot.

I'm not talking about getting or not getting a good spot. I'm talking about showing up to see that any access to the actual floor of the venue is obstructed by a crowd and that one would only be able to watch from the lobby. See Gwin's comment above - this was truly the situation.

I point this out because, having been to the Hammerstein and many other venues in NYC several times, I have never seen anything like the crowd last night. Not only was it very deep and tightly packed in the back - people were uncomfortable and those who arrived at the set time had basically wasted their money. People got very nasty - I have never had so much trouble getting back onto the floor (between songs) to meet back up with my friends. Many entitled fortysomethings shoving and bitching at each other. Not cool, Live Nation.

Posted by 10:48 | November 24, 2009 11:14 AM

@11:12 AM: oh trust me, I did! but I was only able to get floor tickets...in fact, when the tickets went on sale back in August I said on this board that I'd love to trade with someone.

I would've gone up to the balcony if I could've...

Posted by Gwin | November 24, 2009 11:15 AM

wow, you old folks sure are good at bitching.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 11:25 AM

get off of our lawn.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 11:26 AM

Plus we so-called "old folks" got to see the Pixies the first time around. Suck on that, poser!

Posted by anonymous oldster | November 24, 2009 11:28 AM

I had a great seat in the balcony suckers!

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 11:39 AM

Any more blatant cash-in tours like this and the Pixies are going to lose all the good will they have built up over the years. Nostalgia is OK once, but they are milking it. Don't want the Pixies to turn into the Moody Blues.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 11:48 AM

@8:06 -- "Kim was chugging beer - she had to be good and drunk by the time they finished."

Kim's been sober since at least 2004. That's non-alcoholic beer you see her drinking.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 11:50 AM

@ 11:50, Thanks for the correction. But those were beer-type bottles, right? Some people around us noticed it as well.

Posted by 8:06 | November 24, 2009 12:03 PM

@ 11:02

I totally agree, last night seems like it was a mess and not being able to get past the lobby is total bullshit. BUT - I stand by my point that for GA shows where you can expect it to be first come first serve (balcony or not), it might be time to suck it up for the opening band to make sure you actually get to SEE the show.

These stories from last night seem pretty reminiscent of the NIN shows at T5 back in August. I went to the 2nd one of them, got there at 730 or so, found a spot right in the back middle (in front of the bar). Half an hour later it looked like people were stuck in that side area permanently and for all I know never saw the stage. That was an absurdly packed house and also seemed oversold.

Posted by Funderburgh | November 24, 2009 12:19 PM

non-alcholic beer = fake sobriety

WGAF

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 12:27 PM

i had a great seat from my house.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 12:42 PM

The Chicago show was a bit disappointing. Was hoping that the NYC show would kick it up a notch. Here's my take on the Chicago show:

Posted by @jelefant | November 24, 2009 1:09 PM

If you stood in the lobby or the back of the floor, you're an idiot. The lobby area was packed because THAT'S WHERE THE BAR IS. If you had half a brain, you can move around the bar lines, get to the back of the floor, and then move up freely along the sides. I got there at 8:30, and in between sets, managed to easily get up to about 30 feet from the stage on the far right. Sounded great up there too.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 1:13 PM

Hey 1:13PM, if you bothered to read the comments (or look at the photos), you'd realize that you're the one who's an idiot. The lobby was so packed there was no way of discerning the difference between bar lines, lines for ID bracelents, and people there to see the show -- and no way of advancing further unless you wanted to be a total dick about it (which apprently wouldn't have been a problem for you).

The back of the room was just as packed. There was no wiggle room anywhere -- not even along the sides.

Next time, try using your brain a bit before posting. Or is that too much to ask?

Posted by Gwin | November 24, 2009 1:17 PM

If you're too stupid or too suburban to know how to walk through a crowd, that's not my problem. In between sets, I walked through without a problem and walked right up the right side of the floor to get an excellent spot. I saw the people standing there as if there was no way by and felt sorry for them, the same way I feel sorry for you.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 1:19 PM

The people on the floor were total assholes. Fuck all of you wannabe jerks who shout at people for dancing at a rock show. Shame of you.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 1:34 PM

a great reminder as to why shows in new york city suck. pixies sounded great, but i could deal without the attitude from people standing there, watching the music as if they were watching a silent film. any jumping or dancing was met with anger by surrounding hipsters. fuck you uptight losers, go to a steely dan show if you don't want people bumping into you.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 1:40 PM

you are not supposed to dance to the pixies

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 1:41 PM

jesus...im so glad i didnt go to this.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 1:42 PM

from what I could see in the mezz, the floor was jam packed by 730, before the openers even went on. it didn't look like the floor could possibly hold more people at that point.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 1:44 PM

Yes, everytime I tried to move in this place some kid would angrily stare me down. Fuck you assholes.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 1:45 PM

"I saw them in 1989 or 90 and they actually sound quite a bit different these days so id have to say, youre out of your element here. You have no frame of reference. Youre like a child wandering into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Posted by tengo | November 24, 2009 7:45 AM"

Tengo, to make a statement like that shows that it is you who is out of your element. And probably full of shit about seeing them in 89 as well.

I mean it's not like there are a ton of amazing sounding bootlegs from their heydey. I mean it's not like there are profesionally recorded soundboard recordings from just about every show from the reunion tour and this tour available

Errr ummm Oh wait.

Stupid ass, it is all out there for you to hear how they sounded, then and now. There is not much difference at all.
Truth is The Pixies are a cash in band now. They are in no way better then they were in 89 or even the reunion tour. But good for them and good for the people who never saw them before. Even good for the idiots who want to see them again and again even though it's basically a note for note same performance every night.

Snake oil salesmen and their prey come in all shapes and sizes.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 2:01 PM

black francis ate all the food backstage.

Posted by free food | November 24, 2009 2:21 PM

"you are not supposed to dance to the pixies"

oh my golly, and to think of all those hours my girl and i spent oh so ignorantly dancing to monkey goes to heaven, gigantic, debaser... oh, the shame!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 2:35 PM

"a great reminder as to why shows in new york city suck. pixies sounded great, but i could deal without the attitude from people standing there, watching the music as if they were watching a silent film. any jumping or dancing was met with anger by surrounding hipsters. fuck you uptight losers, go to a steely dan show if you don't want people bumping into you"

sounds like a DC show!

Posted by ihatehipsterscum | November 24, 2009 3:06 PM

i didnt go to this, but if you buy a floor ticket it is very reasonable for you to expect to gain access to the floor, albeit the back, at whatever time you show up. Not being able to make it past the lobby is inexcusable for the venue/promoter or whoever it is that makes these decisions.

Saying you should have arrived earlier isnt a valid statement either. What if everyone arrived earlier? Someone would still be standing in the lobby

crowds can be annoying at certain shows depending on the band playing though I've never been to a show outside of NY so I have no idea how other cities would compare. I'm very curious about that actually.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 3:24 PM

Posted by Geeeeeezzzzz | November 24, 2009 3:38 PM

Dancing is okay. I think that's what people do when they hear music. They also sing. Song and dance often go together.

The people around you won't do what you want when you want them to. They have their own ideas of what makes a show fun.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 3:47 PM

3:38, next time stay home. I hear that if you smoke some heady shit, gouge out your eyes, stand up real straight and put on Doolittle, it's just like the real thing

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 3:52 PM

3:47, right on! When I go to shows I like to wear a parka, a giant backpack and eat a footlong submarine sandwich right in the middle of the packed floor. And of course I'm dancin' the whole time! Screw the people around me. I'm doing my thing. It's called Rockin!

Me me me me me me me me me me me me chomp me me me me dance dance me me me text me me me snap snap me me scream in your ear me me me me me me leave early me me me me text me me best show ever except for the jerks who stand still me me me me me me

Posted by Dancing Machine | November 24, 2009 4:02 PM

I'm glad I got to finally see them live. But I don't know why the packed floor is a surprise to anyone. If you go to Hammerstein enough they always oversell the place to the point that you can't even touch the main floor, it'll make anyone claustrophobic. I've learned my lesson and if I have to go there I get mezzanine, you can actually walk around, see the band, no bar line, seats and like last night if you choose to dance around there were plenty of people doing it in the back because of the space.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 4:06 PM

"I've never been to a show outside of NY"

really?

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 4:15 PM

4:02, right on! When people go to shows they should only wear non-distracting black on black outfits and should be forbidden to speak, consume refreshments, or move. Then all the hipsters who are too insecure to dance will feel better about their lame existence!

Perhaps you should stay home next time.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 4:18 PM

BBBBEEEEEEEAAAAAANNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSS....

CANNOT COMPETE WITH WEIGHT OF BLACK FRANCIS.

Posted by Beans | November 24, 2009 4:43 PM

DEATH TO THE PIXIES

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 4:45 PM

I spoke to Ticketmaster and they acknowledged that there's a non-delivery of goods and services if people with FLOOR tickets were unable to access the floor at any time last night. They said that in these situations ticketholders are typically entitled to a refund, though it will take time as Ticketmaster works it out with the promoter. Live Nation says the onus is on Ticketmaster to issue the refund.

Ticketmaster's customer service number is 800-653-8000. They noted the problem on my account/order and have someone calling me back tomorrow.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 4:50 PM

^^^^Good luck with that genius. How are you going to prove you were unable to get on the floor? Just because you and a few others say so.
Next time do not be such a pussy. I went last night around 8:45 and when i got there with my girlfriend the show was packed. So we did what we always do. We pushed our way right up. Got a lovely spot close to the front. I love when you do that and you get all the looks and yells from people who have been there for hours waiting. Too fucking bad. Unless you show me the deed to the property, you don't own the spot.
Then when you are where you want to be you hold it down with everything you got. If it is crowded packed like last night and there are dancers around you or just people moving who do not respect that there is another person next to them. Or they think they can take up more than their little space. Then nothing like a little shove or elbow to the side to make em understand.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 5:11 PM

Have you agree with you on one thing, 5:11 - Yes, you are assholes.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 5:16 PM

They're still playing Wave of Mutilation TWICE?

I'm waiting for the Catholics reunion in 10 years.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 5:18 PM

5:11, I'd like to see your tough guy attitude when you wake up one day after a show with a broken face.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 5:18 PM

"You may prefer this [in] a world where Girl Talk style dancy crowds attended Dinosaur Jr or Pixies shows, but reality begs to differ. "

Umm...I saw Dinosaur Jr. at the Williamsburg Music Hall back in June and the crowd at the font never stopped jumping up and down. And it was one of the most entertaining shows I've ever been to. Blow it out your ass, people are SUPPOSED to have fun at these shows. Not stare off into space. Grow a sac and stand in the back if that's your bullshit attitude, pussy

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 5:21 PM

5:11 you see what 5:16 just did to you? FACE!!!!!!

you gonna take that? Probably, because you are wicked lame. Yes, that did feel good. But please, feel free to tell me what you will do to 5:16 if you see him at the Gin Blossoms concert next week where they will be playing their entire debut album backwards.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 5:23 PM

"To the superfan dancers, you're taking up more space than you paid for and you're bumping in to people who are trying to enjoy a show. That's annoying. You may prefer this is a world where Girl Talk style dancy crowds attended Dinosaur Jr or Pixies shows, but reality begs to differ.

If you want to dance stand in the fucking back or the side or behind the bar or wherever there's space. You're not watching the band anyway."

When I'm letting loose at a show (respectfully, not moshing), I'm most certainly watching the band and I could give a shit if I accidently bump into them. It's the Pixies. If you're standing still like a statue and bitching about people intruding on your precious space during Tame, you're at the wrong fucking show. Go see the opera. They're perfectly well behaved there.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 5:28 PM

@4:50: you had more luck than I did... I called Ticketmaster and very nicely explained what happened, and they said that I should've just shown up earlier. WTF? Like that would've prevented 200 people standing in the lobby??

I'm not giving up, but the two people I talked to were immensely stupid.

Posted by Gwin | November 24, 2009 5:33 PM

5:28, well said.

i refuse to stand still when they blow my face off with isla de encanta you fucking lamewads.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 5:33 PM

This place is full of jerks!

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 5:34 PM

the bass player looks like a man

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 5:40 PM

5:40-you look like a man

Posted by ihatehipsterscum | November 24, 2009 5:43 PM

Isla De Encanta from last night:

Posted by Kurt C. | November 24, 2009 5:48 PM

i got there at 9pm and crawled on the floor on my hands and knees all the way up front. took about 10 minute.

Posted by crawler | November 24, 2009 6:03 PM

you old people need to stay home and listen to your vinyl.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 6:04 PM

Gwin, I have a ticket to a seminar for learning how to navigate through a crowd instead of standing around like a fucking idiot for an entire show. There's also a bonus session on avoiding wasting the next day making silly complaints to the people who answer the phones for corporate ticket sellers.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 6:07 PM

It's possible to dance and not be a douche to the people around them, but most self-involved NYC narcissists haven't figured out how.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 6:25 PM

I wish I was young, fresh and naive and going to see the Pixies now instead of 45 yo and having seen them with 10 people in a bar in North Hampton Ma in the 80's. Ahhh youth!

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 6:39 PM

i agree. its not a girl talk concert. stop dancing like morons at these shows. usually these people are wasted and just want to draw attention to themselves

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 6:40 PM

"Yes we are assholes but it seems to work. And before some smartass internet tough guy on here speaks up, no we have never gotten punched etc because most of you are pussies who do nothing and then come on blogs the next day and whine about it."

Hey, 5:11 - you're probably the assholes that were behind us!

People (Maybe you, maybe not) were behind us and trying to get in front of us and we were center, like 5 people back. Then the chick goes to us, "I bet you're not even over 30." I'm 25. What of it. You sounded like you were 12 when you asked that question. "But they're my favorite band," the girl said. My buddy's response: "Yeah...they're everyone's favorite band up here." Assholes, indeed, 5:11.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 6:48 PM

People who dance are from Ohio. And have trust funds.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 7:08 PM

Black Gold was the pits!!!!!!!!! I've been wishing for that wasted time back all day long. Pixies were amazing. Black Gold, please do anything else but play music :)

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 7:30 PM

Anyone know when the Pixies actually started their set?

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 8:00 PM

wonder if the Pixies got paid for the # of people who paid over capacity. my guess is no, check is written at capacity #s before the show, promoter oversells and pockets 100% of those profits, common scam

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 8:16 PM

8:00 - Pixies were on at approx 907. The intro vid started at 9.

And I didn't think Black Gold was thaaaaaaat terrible. I've seen worse.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2009 8:23 PM

Even though I wrestled my way up to the front for a good spot, I called Ticketmaster just to see if I too could get a refund. Thanks for the solid descriptions of the lobby situation, fellow commenters. It looks like my show was for free last night - refund coming within 48 hours!

Posted by Asshole | November 24, 2009 10:38 PM

Hey 6:07PM, I have ticket to a seminar about how to be a complete douche and randomly, anonymously insult people on messageboards for no apparent reason. Oh wait -- I think you might be teaching it!

Posted by Gwin | November 24, 2009 11:14 PM

Hmmmmm let me check my ticket for where it says I'm entitled to a certain square footage of space at the venue OH WAIT YOU CAN JUST SIT AND LISTEN TO A RECORD IN YOUR ROOM THE WHOLE POINT OF A CONCERT IS TO FEEL THE MUSIC WASH OVER YOU AND SHAKE YOUR ASS AND ENJOY BEING PART OF A GROUP OF HUNDREDS OR THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE DOING THE SAME

IT'S CALLED ROCK AND ROLL, MOTHERFUCKER!!!!! WHOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!

Posted by ROCK ON | November 24, 2009 11:52 PM

i have no problem with people dancing. i encourage people to dance. i do not enjoy people dancing ON ME, or GRINDING THEIR SWEATY PITS ON ME. 11:52, you shouldn't have to look to your ticket to tell you that there are boundaries of personal space that should be respected, that's called being courteous. if you haven't figured this out yet, maybe you should be the one confined to your room.

Posted by don't sweat on me | November 25, 2009 12:54 AM

nothing wrong with losing it to the music...

i love the pixies music and i think people losing it would make it all the more fun

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 1:21 AM

Thanks for the nice photo.

Posted by Greatchandeliers | November 25, 2009 2:20 AM

all i get out of this is that the hammerstein collected $75 bucks from a bunch of solid old dancers from ohio.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 3:38 PM

I hope it won't be so crowded tonight but what time would you expect Pixies to go on if this is an early show? Doors are at 6:30pm

Posted by Edward Douglas | November 25, 2009 5:27 PM

I saw the Pixies 20 years ago tonight. Tonight, as in the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving. The show was at the Ritz uptown, when it was briefly located on W. 54th St.

The band closed a barnburner set with "Into The White". When the side exit doors were flung open, we were greeted by snow draped streets and a blizzard in full effect. With smiles on our faces, we stepped out into the white.

Posted by drewo | November 25, 2009 6:33 PM

Jesus christ the crowd was terrible. I stood next to a girl who was dancing via slamming into me THE ENTIRE SHOW. It was way too crowded and I couldn't get away from her. Also, please don't blow pot smoke in my face.

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2009 2:58 AM

its okay with me if you wanna dance and blow pot smoke in my face, so we cancel out

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2009 9:40 AM

sorry bout all the pot smoke, but it made the show so much fun!

what was up with the fat naked guy? dude was ether really gay or tripping on acid.

very interesting crowd too! i think if pixies did a tour for boossonova or trompe, that would be more interesting this, but still sick to hear bailey's walk, silver, #13, dig for fire

Pixies are overdue for new music too...

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2009 1:18 PM

Does anyone have a copy of the setlist (I'm talking about the actual physical piece of paper used on stage or at the sound board) from the show? If so, I would LOVE to get one from you! Please email me at tatal@aol.com
Many thanks!

Posted by AlexL | December 2, 2009 5:24 PM

Nobody on this blog has commented on how FAT the singer is? Come on you cynical mean-spirited hipsters...really? Can't insult your own gods? This band truly is great, but the singer is HUGE. I'm sorry, it had to be said.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 3:29 PM

phat

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2009 11:41 AM

yeah but he's the coolest fat guy IN rock.

Posted by hgfds | February 1, 2010 11:43 PM