Posted in music on November 25, 2009

"Lovering just DESTROYED the triangle part on the slow version on WAVE OF MUTILATION." - John Hodgman

Pixies @ Hammerstein - 11/24/2009 (photo by John Hodgman)
Pixies

"The Pixies are a strange story, getting stranger. Perfecting the circuitry between punk and a lusher kind of art-rock, they existed for seven years, until 1993. Since first gathering for reunion shows in 2004, they've been in a lucrative post-history for five years. When five reaches seven, if they have still not made any new music (besides one song, "Bam Thwok") and are still playing phantasmagorically hot songs with a scientifically cool affect, they may come to seem out of balance." [NY Times]
The Pixies played their second of four shows at Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC on Tuesday night (11/24). Jay Reatard opened. A few hours later they played "Debaser" and "Hey" on the Jimmy Fallon show (taped earlier in the day). Video from both, and the setlist (b-sides + Doolittle + two encores again) from Hammerstein, below...

The Pixies - Debaser on Jimmy Fallon

The Pixies - Hey on Jimmy Fallon

The Pixies - Wave Of Mutilation (UK Surf) @ Hammerstein Ballroom (11.24.09)

Lots of pictures and the setlist from Night One, HERE. Setlist of Night Two, here...

The Pixies @ Hammerstein Ballroom - 11/24/2009 - setlist (via)
"Dancing The Manta Ray"
"No. 13 Baby"
"There Goes My Gun"
"Hey"
"Silver"
"Gouge Away"

encore 1:
wave of mutilation (uk surf)
into the white
broken face

encore 2:
caribou
ed is dead
planet of sound

Just go away and take your wave of yuppies throwing themselves and there money at your feet with you. 75 dollar tickets, since when did punk rock turn into fucking U2.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 3:55 AM

There is actually their.

U2 topped out at $250 per ticket.

Pixies are not punk...as much as people want them to be, they are not.

If having money means "we" are yuppies, so be it, I thought I was a hipster. So confused.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 5:51 AM

Anyone who pays $250 to see U2 is a moron, that band is god awful. I mean if you live in Ohio and havent been exposed to anything else thats one thing, but if you are surrounded by other music there is just no excuse.

Posted by tengo | November 25, 2009 6:43 AM

Right, tengo@6:43, there is no internet in Ohio. How would they know about anything but U2? Get over yourself.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 7:05 AM

caribou and planet of sound? fuck. i hope they play at least one of those tonight. could do without where is my mind.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 7:57 AM

"I mean if you live in Ohio and havent been exposed to anything else"

you mean like Rocket from the Tombs, Pere Ubu, Devo, Guided by Voices, Jim Shepard/V3, Breeders, Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments, Styrenes, Death of Samantha, Electric Eels, Bill Fox, The Mice, Great Plains, New Bomb Turks, Afghan Whigs? Yeah, a shame people in Ohio haven't been exposed to that...

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 8:33 AM

@ 8:33 goes boo-yaa!!! Go back to sleep @ 6:43.

Posted by In Bob We Trust | November 25, 2009 8:45 AM

The Fallon video is "Hey" not "Debaser"

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 8:47 AM

yeah it must suck to be from Ohio, like Kim Deal. Jackass.

Posted by Rizzo | November 25, 2009 8:47 AM

Way less crowded than Night 1 from what I heard. There was plenty of room to move between bars and lobby and the floor. My friend even went to the bathroom between the encores and still were able to make it back...the lobby was definitely not packed.
Pixies sounded great! Everything I had hoped for.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 8:53 AM

Times New Viking..........Ohio's finest

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 9:14 AM

Was it $75 a ticket? God damn, that's pricey. Devo wanted $55. Even if I had a job at the moment, I wouldn't pay those prices.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 9:15 AM

it was $54

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 9:25 AM

I went last night and got there around 8:45pm and stood 20 ft from the entrance. Show was super crowded and I immediatel felt ripped off having paid over $100+ for 2 tickets. People kept pushing past and spilling beer and the place was definitely a fire hazard. Overall I enjoyed all the songs they played, Wave of Mutilation surf and Caribou. Even with the crowd I would go again just to hear the music.

Posted by gpoint | November 25, 2009 9:46 AM

If you are dancing like you would at a Girl Talk concert at these shows you have serious attention needing issues.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 9:54 AM

8:33 for the win. tengo has been bitch-slapped.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 9:55 AM

Williamsburg = Ohio transplants.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 10:04 AM

total fucking ripoff

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 10:18 AM

10:04-williamsburg AND bushwick-ohio transplants who wear flannel shirts, have beards, and on track bikes cause there so fucking cool.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 10:20 AM

They suck. Always have, always will...

Posted by Tin Lizzie | November 25, 2009 10:21 AM

More crappy Ohio music: the Ohio Players, Roger and Zapp, Bootsy Collins, the Raspberries.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 10:22 AM

take my advice, get there early. Unless you want to be standing against the exit trying to hear the band over people yapping the whole time. Hammerstein oversold the shit out of this show. Seriously, go early.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 10:23 AM

Sounds like last night was not as bad as Monday but still oversold. On Monday anyone arriving around 9 couldn't even access the floor.

I spoke to a Ticketmaster rep. this morning (800-653-8000) and they are giving me a partial refund for Monday's debacle - I guess there was a sufficient number of complaints.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 10:26 AM

since when do people dance to get attention? You have to be a totally soulless, bodiless brain-in-a-vat kind of disconnected excuse for a human to assume that dancing has some kind of gain attached to it besides free fucking expression!

If you can maintain your personal space and still do some rocking out without knocking into people, how in the world is that anything other than beautiful and totally appropriate at a rock concert?

Please, hipsters, let's remember we're not just our intellect, no matter how well developed we are in that area!

The pixies rock-a-my-SOUL (hard).

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 10:47 AM

It was crowded. I was at the back of the floor and it was packed. They oversold the floor. Kind of a joke. Show was fine. 50$ for 2 hours of music. Its not like I'm seeing a run of shows, and the admittedly play nearly the same thing every night. I saw the Meat Puppets for $15 on Saturday. I'm sure if they could sell out the Hammerstein at $50 a head, they would take it.

And yes, I am reliving the late 80's.

Posted by Mike | November 25, 2009 10:50 AM

wow, caribu and planet of sound! what a great encore for the people at this show!! jealous!

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 10:56 AM

Dead Boys from Ohio...think the Pixies opened for them once at The Ritz

Posted by David S | November 25, 2009 11:06 AM

wow, so many people taking offense to that one guy's Ohio comment.
I just usually blame Wisconsin for the influx of stupid fucking entitled white people to Brooklyn.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 11:18 AM

the black keys

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 11:33 AM

"The Fallon video is "Hey" not "Debaser""

good point. they played both and now both videos are there. thanks!

Posted by brooklynvegan | November 25, 2009 11:36 AM

actually the 2nd encore set was:
Ed Is Dead
Broken Face
Caribou
Planet of Sound

Posted by Bob H | November 25, 2009 11:41 AM

^ Bob H's right.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 11:44 AM

People voted to hear "Hey" as the extra Pixies song on Fallon? Really? ???

Posted by Anonymal | November 25, 2009 11:44 AM

"wow, so many people taking offense to that one guy's Ohio comment."

Not surprised so many people took offense. I seem to meet a lot of people who are originally from Ohio every time I'm in Brooklyn.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 11:49 AM

Someone commented yesterday that they weren't checking floor tickets. Sounds like balcony and mezz ticket holders ended up on the floor, hence the overcrowding. OR . . . . . the presenters are a bunch of assholes who oversold the show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 11:51 AM

@10:26 is lying. no refunds.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 11:55 AM

@11:55, not lying! Called Ticketmaster, was told that "All sales are final". Asked to be escalated to a supervisor 4 times. Finally got someone who took me seriously after 45 minutes of waiting or asking to speak to a supervisor. The pursuit of justice is not easy.

Posted by 10:26 | November 25, 2009 12:01 PM

"not lying! Called Ticketmaster, was told that "All sales are final". Asked to be escalated to a supervisor 4 times. Finally got someone who took me seriously after 45 minutes of waiting or asking to speak to a supervisor. The pursuit of justice is not easy."

was this just for mondays show?

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 12:07 PM

I only went to Monday's show - not sure if they're refunding for last night as it seems that people could actually access the floor after the Pixies went on. This was not possible on Monday without shoving people.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 12:15 PM

Going tonight...hope the encore is surfer rosa and a friendly crowd!!

Posted by Slob | November 25, 2009 12:21 PM

if you threaten to file lawsuit or something like that I bet that would work to get some money back. Tell them you'll have the lawyers call them back and see how fast they dance.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 12:22 PM

How was Jay Reatard? Did he pee on anyone?

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 12:27 PM

Defiance, OHIO!

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 12:29 PM

fIREHOSE (well, at least Ed)

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 12:44 PM

cheap bastards.
you get what you pay for.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 1:03 PM

The Ohio comment was so stupid and offensive, because anyone who knows their rock'n'roll knows that Ohio is the Mecca to NYC's Medina. Ohio spawned some of the most innovative, trail-blazing bands of the mid-70's (Rocket from the Tombs, Devo, Styrenes, Pere Ubu), and the two greatest bands of the 90's (Guided by Voices and the Afghan Whigs).

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 1:26 PM

The Pixies is a lame-ass band name.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 1:27 PM

I would imagine they weren't checking for balcony seats on the main floor because it doesn't make any sense. It's like checking for tickets in front of the gate to the upper deck. How many people are going to give up a comfy unobstructed view to jam themselves in to that throng?

I guess someone might be tempted if they got there early enough to get up front, but how many people is that?

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 1:38 PM

hey 10:26, I am really sorry that you are such a loser that you stayed in the crowded lobby and did not try to be a man and fight your way up to be able to see. I am the dick who posted yesterday about how my gf and i shoved our way up very close to the front. We had a great spot. But I do owe you some thanks I guess because I just called Ticketmaster, got a supervisor and said i was one of the ones stuck in the lobby. So now im getting a partial refund on both tickets thus getting to see the show perfectly for less.

So, Thanks pussy.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 1:46 PM

is kim deal still shooting heroin?

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 2:20 PM

when do i get my money back for the monday show? i had a great view, but i still want my money back.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 2:25 PM

Nice, 10:26! You got:

1) Sweet girlfriend
2) Awesome spot at Pixies show
3) Free bucks from Ticketmaster
4) ATITUDE!

Check back in and let us all know when you get that happiness you've been looking for

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 2:27 PM

^^
10:26 = 1:46
Fail

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 2:28 PM

write a new song already or retire

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 3:01 PM

kinda glad i got tix for the late show now with all the 'oversold' issues, getting too old for the GA deal

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 3:15 PM

1:46 is a pathetic individual

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 3:17 PM

for the person who commented yesterday that she was sober since 2004, Kim chugged about three or four bottles of Becks during the show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 3:39 PM

kelly was the heroin addict and not anymore. kim looks much better with long hair though. how was retards new band? could they handle a 20 minute set?

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 3:44 PM

those Fallon videos make the band -- except for David Lovering and (sometimes) Kim Deal -- look bloated and super bored. it was even worse when they did Here Comes Yr Man on Conan a few weeks ago. is it just because it's one song at a time, so they lose ALL of the energy, or because they're just a bloated and super bored band now? was anyone actually at this show who paid attention to how they sounded live and not how well they could see? (you paid $55 to go see a show at the hammerstein ballroom in new york, it's probably gonna be a shitty experience no matter where you're standing.)

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 4:09 PM

i did not go, but i want my money back.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 5:12 PM

I love Frank Black for the great tribute CD he recorded for Dutch rock and roll junkie Herman Brood (Bluefinger). He gets a lifetime pass for that one.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 8:22 PM

| November 25, 2009 1:27 PM: Really? That's the best that you could come up with? No offense but you ARE mildy retarded, right?

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 8:52 PM

Grand Duchy is where Frank's heart is now.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2009 11:53 PM

tonights show fucking ruled.

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2009 12:32 AM

Uh, add NIN, at least it's initial incarnation, and Marilyn Manson to the Ohio roster

Posted by ed | November 26, 2009 12:50 AM

and The Greenhornes, which for the musically illiterate would be 1/2 of The Raconteurs- which reminds me of The New Bomb Turks, Prisonshake, Chrissy Hynde, and you may as well throw in The Breeders as well.

Posted by ed | November 26, 2009 12:58 AM

does anyone in Ohio like hummus?

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2009 4:24 AM

the early 11-25 show;
Who tunes the guitars for these guys?
Terry Schiavo?
they had to abort Velouria encore cause the roadies SUCKED!
cant tune guitars for SHIT!

Posted by bob h | November 26, 2009 10:22 AM

Kim drinks non-alcoholic beers onstage, she's been doing it for several years now. She's been sober since 2003 or something, even quit smoking last year.

And anyone on this stupid blog bitching about the Pixies and their shows is either 1) very young and stupid 2) a loser 3) old and pathetic 4) ugly. There's really no getting around it, douchebags.

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2009 1:56 PM

I just called Ticketmaster again... they said the Client Reps for the Pixies are denying all requests for refunds. Anyone know who represents the Pixies? We should start calling them.

Also, it's sad that there are so many commenters who are assholes on this site. It's supposed to be a community of people who like music, dammit!

Posted by Gwin | November 30, 2009 5:06 PM

I hate to side with the douchebags, but the show was clearly phoned-in. The video and lights were tacky, the band looked like they didn't want to be there (except for Kim). Everything felt like a cheap approximation of something the band cared about years ago. To call it cheap nostalgia would be inaccurate; ticket prices were too high.

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2009 5:26 PM

5:26. which show did you go to?
I went 11/24 and thought they were great

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2009 5:55 PM

5:55- I was there for the early show on Wednesday. So they were probably a) exhausted from nights one and two, and b) saving energy/vocal cords for later that night. But I still felt cheated. Mostly they just didn't seem like they were having fun. 'Vamos' encore was really loose and the band seemed to be having a legitimately great time, but I thought they treated Doolittle like a chore.

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2009 6:41 PM