Posted in music on November 14, 2009

Jerry Fuchs
Jerry Fuchs

"As the new millennium started gearing up, there was a obvious reason why Jerry started playing with all the DFA-affiliated bands (The Juan Maclean, !!!, etc.) as time went on: He was an invaluable monster on the drums that could recreate those motorik-like disco beats and make it sound human. Goddamn, the hair on the back of my neck stands on end when I think about it. Recent years saw him reaffirm his roots in Athens as he became the incredibly propulsive backbone to Maserati after they gave their original drummer the boot. And man, again, watching Jerry perform was always a treat. ALWAYS." [Chunklet]
It's been a week since the tragic death of Jerry Fuchs. A memorial service was held at Enids in Brooklyn on Thursday. The loft building he died in, 338 Berry Street, is going about business as usual. There are many Craigslist ads for spaces there. All of them mention the freight elevator as an amenity. This is the picture of the building from one of the ads:

338 Berry
338 Berry

What was Jerry doing at 338 Berry at the night in question? Well, this "AccesSoiree" benefit party was happening there...

Jerry Fuchs party

The party advertised that there would be "DJ sets by fashion darling Judi Rosen, The Juan MacLean's Nancy Wang and more from New York's finest DFA crew to name but a few". The above-quoted Chunklet obit is one of the nicest I've seen, and as it reiterates, Jerry was a large part of DFA. Chk Chk Chk wrote this on their MySpace...

thanks to everyone who has contacted us with their love and support. we could never put into words how special a person jerry was and how much we loved him. we ask that you tell all the people you care about and are thankful for that you love them. we wish we still had jerry.
A member of Hot Chip got this new Jerry Fuchs memorial tattoo...

Jerry Fuchs Tattoo

The first Juan Maclean video below (with a fake fight) explains the midi tattoo. The other video features a 16 minute live version of "Happy House" with Jerry behind the kit. Juan is DJing a benefit in San Francisco on November 20th. More details about that and both videos below...

The Juan Maclean - Argument in Seattle 9/10/08

The Juan MacLean - Happy House (Live @ The Double Door) from The Belmont Sessions on Vimeo.

Juan MacLean will DJ a benefit show in memory and in tribute to friend, band mate and legendary drummer Jerry Fuchs, who passed away in an unfortunate accident in the early hours of November 8. The show will take place November 20 at San Francisco's Mezzanine (444 Jessie Street). The show will also feature a DJ set with Parallels. A donation will be made to the Fuchs Family.
More videos and stuff about Jerry, HERE.

I only had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Fuchs once, while waiting in line for a free haircut in Oslo at the Oya festival a few years back.

Though the meeting was brief it stuck with me just for the fact he was a very genuine person and was a pleasure to chat with. I also was fortunate enough to catch him playing with !!! later that day.

My sincerest condolences to all of his friends and family. It's a true loss.

Posted by thejrh | November 14, 2009 3:43 PM

memorial tattoo?

How about you console his family, numbnuts.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2009 4:40 PM

"memorial tattoo? How about you console his family, numbnuts."

What a dumb thing to say

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2009 4:45 PM

I was with jerry's brother adam and jerry's best friend D.J. at 3 kings NYC when I got the tattoo done. It sure was stupid, but it made me feel better and I know jerry would have had a total laughing fit if he knew. So no regrets. al

Posted by al doyle | November 14, 2009 5:00 PM

I find it extremely disheartening to know that people such as the above commenter are walking amongst us. It's pitiful to think that someone like that has to live with themselves. What a miserable soulless person... you should just put yourself out of your own misery. It's a real shame it couldn't have been someone like that to suffer such a senseless random death instead of someone like Jerry who was so loved and talented. Life is so unfair.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2009 5:01 PM

5:01 refers to a comment that was thankfully removed.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2009 5:18 PM

I remember the extra long "Happy House" version at The Juan MacLean/The Field show earlier this year. Really awesome. Talk about taking an epic song and making it even more so. I'm certainly a fan of the extended versions at shows. The video is really worth a look.

Fuchs certainly died too young, but he contributed a great deal to some of my favorite bands/shows over the past few years while he was here. I'll miss his work for sure.

My condolences to those who will miss him even more as a friend and family member.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2009 6:43 PM

never met him, didn't even know his name at the time but saw him play with The Juan MacLean and loved every minute of it. He was wildly talented, magnetic on stage and even never having known him, I'll miss him.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2009 6:46 PM

ive seen him play a bunch of times, with lcd soundsystem, !!!, juan maclean, and met him once. He was supposed to be at mezzanine before it became a benefit show and we were saddened to hear this because he would play at mezzanine a couple times a year. rip.

Posted by shahim ali | November 14, 2009 7:34 PM

Very sad. He was damn good drummer on the Turing Machine albums as well as Maserati.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2009 10:43 PM

i think its great that brooklyn vegan removed what must have been an extremely offensive comment and hope he continues doing that in the future.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2009 11:37 PM

if you change the h to an f, what dat spell?

Posted by country joe | November 15, 2009 1:48 AM

"I'm sorry my limbs are not MIDI."

Fake fight? I don't know, just seemed like they were having a *stupid* fight about the tour bus leaving Jerry in Albuquerque.

I'm sorry to hear about Jerry's death, though. It's lame to see people mock someone in death. I had a friend die by falling off a roof. Don't feed the trolls.

Posted by Aaron | November 15, 2009 1:00 PM

The offensive comments are still up there. I imagine they were written by bitter and frustrated musicians who never 'made' it. Unfortunately, the anonymity of the internet allows people to say things that in 'real' life interactions would have me beating their nose to the side of their face. And it's always guys.

Posted by Juan MacLean | November 15, 2009 4:21 PM

Jerry was a fantastic drummer and a real sweetheart of a guy. I hope he's somewhere better now.
But I, too, think this "memorial tattoo" thing is pretty lame.

Posted by Eye in the Deep Blue Sky | November 15, 2009 6:13 PM

At least Jerry got a better send-off than Kurt Niemand from Six Finger Satellite. Juan just liked him less, I guess.

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | November 15, 2009 6:39 PM

Jerry lived with me in 2002; three blocks away from where he died. He was like a brother. He was also like a brother to my younger brother who lived with us at the time as well. He was a funny, affectionate guy who lacked pretension, laughed at everything and was sincere when he asked how you were doing and what you were up to.

Posted by NaylonNYC | November 16, 2009 11:09 AM

[removed]

^^
can't even imagine what kind of a person u are...

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 11:17 AM

"The offensive comments are still up there."

It somehow republished. not sure why. removed again.

Posted by brooklynvegan | November 16, 2009 11:36 AM

You should also remove the comment "Posted by country joe | November 15, 2009 1:48 AM." (I assume he really meant 'k', not 'f'.)

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 1:38 PM

nice videos, RIP Jerry!

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2009 2:27 PM

this guy was good

Posted by roll cage | March 23, 2010 1:06 PM

I once met Jerry after a show at The Empty Bottle, Chicago, back in 2007. Maserati had just finished a set. Jerry was in the middle of greeting friends and fans and he stopped to talk to me for a while. Jerry couldn't have been a nicer guy. He even took the time to sign the album I had purchased and put a personal note with a moustache drawn in. We talked for a while about drumming (I also play drums) and I told him how much I appreciated his style of playing.

When I heard he died, I was really saddened. To this day, I still think about Jerry from time to time.

A few years later, I was talking about this great drummer I learned about with a good friend of mine. It turned out that my friend was friends with Jerry's brother back in GA as a kid. My friend remembered going over to their house and always hearing Jerry practicing. He remembered how passionate and focused Jerry was and was amazed that it was the same guy.

I guess the point of posting this is to pay tribute to a great person and fellow drummer. You are missed Jerry. I hope that they let you play as long and as loud as you want, wherever you are now.

Posted by Elliott | February 22, 2013 3:36 PM