Posted in music | pictures on November 17, 2009

photos by Kyle Dean Reinford

Sleigh Bells

"There are some basic similarities to Ed Banger acts like Justice or M.I.A.. But if anything Sleigh Bells reminds me first of bands like My Bloody Valentine and The Pixies--beauty taken to its absolute pummeling extreme--or Output Records acts like Mu, who typify for me what pop music might sound as putrid, like if we let it sit out and fester for a few years and decompose.

A band that approached that formula was Poison the Well, a South Florida post-hardcore band for whom Miller was a guitarist and songwriter. In the genre, songs often have fierce riff-driven verses with screamed vocals, with relief coming in the form of a soaring, schmaltzy chorus. Miller played in the band for four years, from 2000 to 2004, then quit when the band was at the height of its popularity. This was more or less when the Sleigh Bells project began: trying to do both parts of the hardcore equation at once.

"As a music fan, I felt like there was this small gap for what I wanted to do," he explains. "I was obsessed with [the Deerhoof album] The Runners Four. I thought they got really close...But then live, all the ferocious elements on the album were wimpy and childlike. The drummer didn't even have a crash cymbal!""
[Nick Sylvester @ Resident Advisor]

Sleigh Bells shared a bill with France's Kap Bambino at The Studio @ Webster Hall on Saturday night - one of two recently-scheduled shows for Sleith Bells. The other is this Thursday (11/19) at Le Poisson Rouge. More pictures from The Studio with a Kap Bambino video and more tour dates (they're in LA tonight - 11/17), below...

Kap Bambino - Batcaves

Dec 5 - Festival Super Bock em Stock LISBONNE
Dec 18 - KB DJ SET w/ PARTYHARDERS PARIS
Jan 14 - LOKOMOTIV BOLOGNA
Jan 15 - TRAFFIC ROMA
Jan 16 - ARCA VERONA
Jan 30 - Rockstore w/ Dj Pone Montpellier

"But if anything Sleigh Bells reminds me first of bands like My Bloody Valentine and The Pixies--beauty taken to its absolute pummeling extreme-"

GET tHE FUCK OUT OF HERE WITH THIS SHIT. GODDAMN!

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2009 5:33 PM

Did you seriously just put sleigh bells in the same sentence with my bloody valentine and the pixies? Stop writing please.

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2009 9:22 PM

you morons never heard of comparing a band to a more popular band?

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2009 9:46 PM

Nick Sylvester wrote that?! THE Nick Sylvester?

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2009 9:47 PM

What????????? They are interesting, somewhat, maybe if I hadn't seen the tight pants first.
But...My Bloody Valentine and the Pixies??
I'm sorry, but sleigh bells is a post MIA/Kills mutation, american apparel ready, with a cute forehead poised perfectly for the champagne bottle break launch into "I'll do anything! Buy me!" Pursed lips, ass in the air like she just don't care. But come on, let's all admit that they really suck. A passing phase not even worth arguing over. Please don't be spoon fed this bull shit. Wooden nickels, rubber ring.

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2009 9:53 PM

I am really sorry to read that the piece on sleigh bells was written by Nick Sylvester, because I have the utmost respect for him. I have always thought of Nick as one of our best music writers, bar none. If he had been writing before the blog era, he would never would have had to deal with any of the witch hunt and anonymous pervert basement attacks that seemingly lessened his importance. He has written things I have disagreed with and many things I consider brilliant, He is a post-post modern Lester Bangs of sorts.
BUT
Sleigh Bells are the emperors new clothes, complete and utter crap!
Pure shit and nothing better.

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2009 10:13 PM

Many music critics have a vested interest in hyping bands. Take a look at Metacritic for instance. The overwhelming majority of albums are given "favorable" scores. Really? According to my last look, not one "unfavorable" overall ranking.

And I like RA, but it's ridiculous to have Nick Sylvester, who makes up stories, writing for them. I don't think NY has a shortage of music reporters.

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2009 10:42 PM

welcome to the machine. ghostland observatory spawned a monster. wake me when it's over.

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2009 11:26 PM

I concur! - a music writer used a hyperbolic comparison for an up-and-coming band ==> they must be terrible!

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 12:05 AM

granted. well put.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 12:53 AM

POISON THE WELL WTF?!
i love sleigh bells now

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2009 11:54 AM

The Opposite of December is actually a stupendous record. Headbangerific.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2009 8:12 PM