Posted in music | pictures on December 30, 2009

photos by Paul Birman

"Andrew WK was at the cro-mags show tonight. he stage dove and moshed. and he fist pumped dan and i. my year is now complete." - MariannaArutyunyants

The Cro-Mags

"The Age of Quarrel is the first album from the New York hardcore band Cro-Mags. It was released on Profile Records in 1986 and subsequently re-released by Another Planet in 1994, along with their second album, 1989's Best Wishes, on the same disc. The video for "We Gotta Know" received airplay on MTV at the time (during their heavy metal specialty show), and was one of the first-ever clips on MTV to feature slam dancing and crowd surfing." [Wikipedia]
Andrew WK is also part owner of the venue that the Cro-Mags (the John Joseph version previously known as Cro-Mags jam) played in last night (12/29). More pictures from the show, multiple bloody noses and the setlist included, below...

Cro-Mags

Idiotic people

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2009 6:01 PM

boring.

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2009 6:06 PM

^^haha.. what? anything but. one of the best shows of 2009.

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2009 6:18 PM

1. That wasn't Andre W.K. John Joseph was kidding. Although apparently even Andrew W.K. isn't the real Andrew W.K. but that's a bunch of other stuff
2. Just a note: They played Right Brigade instead of Banned in D.C.
3. Such a smart choice if you at all dig hardcore. John Joseph only plays the good Cro-Mags songs, is great live, and basically just does the world's best classic H.R. impression live. Its a tired observation, but the dude is basically a white Krishna H.R. with less vocal craziness. In an ideal world, he'd go back to fronting Bad Brains because their covers were so much better than the actual Brains are now with H.R.
4. NYxHC is still retarded. But its our retard, like when you give birth on methadone and love the flipper-baby fuck anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2009 6:50 PM

Cro-Mags were far from boring..I can't say the same for the other bands who played mainly because I missed them..

Posted by Jim | December 30, 2009 6:56 PM

dude.

that WAS andrew w.k.

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2009 7:53 PM

andrew w.k. does not look like that, b.

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2009 7:57 PM

JJ still dances like a white boy. Have no idea what some of you people are talking about comparing him to HR; that's absurd.

Killing Time/Maximum Penalty is where it's gonna be in Feb at Knitting Factory.

"MP in effect and we're gonna bust shit up. Bust!"

You don't get that, then stay home.

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2009 8:23 PM

Not Andrew w.k. in Hammer pants.
Thats Darrel, aka Shit Hammered.

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2009 10:02 PM

BROCORE

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2009 10:36 PM

Go watch the Daytona Beach "House of Suffering" video, then look at any clip of John Joseph this decade. I wasn't saying its the same thing, but half of everything he does comes from HR. The dancing/time-keeping near the drums, some of the vocals, blah blah

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2009 10:55 PM

How come there are no pictures of Harley?

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2009 11:46 PM

Ha. That's my brother in the red flannel getting crushed. That's why I stay in the back in my old(er) age.

Posted by JD | December 30, 2009 11:55 PM

I'll always love Bloodclot, but Cro-Mags = John Joseph, Harley, Mackie, and Parris. If it's missing one of these 4 guys it's not really the Cro-Mags. Too bad they can't get over shit and do a proper tour with the proper lineup. I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.

Posted by Hank | December 31, 2009 12:16 AM

boring and slightly gay

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2009 12:59 AM

Cromags, the most overrated band of all time.

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2009 8:22 AM

I always thought Cro-Mags were one of the least interesting NYHC bands. I really can't believe really listen to hardcore. It was cool when I was in my late teens and 20's but seriously folks, GROW UP!!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2009 9:03 AM

"It was cool when I was in my late teens and 20's but seriously folks, GROW UP!!!"

Then you were never really into it and the scene is much better off without posers like you. Hardcore punk is one of the most under-appreciated forms of music there is, is very authentic, and is one of the most non-commercial forms of music there is.

These people play the music for the love of it...not for money, to fit into any MTV or mass-market appeal or be some lame-ass flavor of the month "alternative" band. There is a reason why people still care about Cro-Mags 20+ years later.

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2009 9:10 AM

^

Word up.

Sick of It All. Still the best live band in NYC, you suckas.

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2009 9:45 AM

alot of man on man action going on there

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2009 10:26 AM

those pants are Zogs and the dude is my homey Darrel Nau... wat up homey?! happy new year

Posted by the truth | December 31, 2009 10:43 AM

borecore

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2009 11:42 AM

BORE ING

GA Y

SUCK PEN IS

MUSE ICK

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2009 1:42 PM

fucking douches!

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2009 4:36 PM

People diss Both Worlds, but at least JJ and AJ were attempting a new sound back then.

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2009 4:39 PM

IF YOU TALK SHIT ON HARDCORE AND CALL IT "GAY" THEN BASICALLY FUCK YOU. I'D LOVE TO SEE THE LIST OF BANDS YOU LIKE. YOU WOULDN'T HAVE LASTED 5 MINUTES AT ONE OF THESE SHOWS BACK IN THE DAY.

WACK FUCKIN HIPSTERS

~BALLANTYNE CRACKA
BROOKLYN U.S.A.

Posted by BALLANTYNE CRACKA | December 31, 2009 6:40 PM

i think its a good idea to avoid shows where people having their noses broken is a common occurrence. I freely admit that makes some of you more hardcore than me. But my nose isn't broken. that's just where my priorities lie. Feel free to form your own opinion.

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2009 7:26 PM

Word up to the Ballantine Cracka on Brooklynvegan!

The show was great and Cro-mags rule NYC and NYHC.

Go home to Bedford Ave and your TV on the Radio, you stupid hipsters.

Posted by SpLiFFoRd | January 1, 2010 5:22 PM

Such a fun show with a lot of energy going on. I busted my nose 5 minutes into Cro-mags & I wasn't in the pit yet.Just from a stage diver. Last Call Brawl & Razorblade Handgrenade were great too!

Posted by Steely211 | January 3, 2010 6:04 PM

I never cared much for hardcore, but Cro-Mags are the best

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2010 10:28 PM

"The Cro-Mags are great, but they're NYHC's version of a Vegas act at this point. It's the same set every year, no new songs."

Couldn't agree more!

Posted by bomb | January 5, 2010 10:26 AM

I am intolerant and I hate women! NYHC 4 LYFE!

Posted by HC4LYFE | January 5, 2010 10:48 PM

Couldn't agree

Posted by michelle | January 6, 2010 2:33 AM

John Joseph has basically been on the "Age of Quarrel" support tour for 24 years. What I love about that set list is that it's mostly tracks from a band with one good album (Cro-Mags) with a couple of tracks by a band with 2 or 3 good albums (Bad Brains). If you add the two of them together, you get one decent band that really really isn't fond of gay people.

Posted by Mistah Iain | January 7, 2010 3:31 AM

wow, wow, wow, this happens all the time! Then have you noticed another phenomenon? May-December romance is also very popular in Hollywood, guess that's why the interracial dating is hot on__BlackWhiteFinder.com__ only that people there are more sincere and true love focused!!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2010 1:02 AM

I'm glad I'm not coming of age when people think garbage like Matt & Kim are the hot shit, and somehow the epitome of a good live show. WTF?

I'm not saying that the experiences of an older generation of New Yorkers (namely, me and people up to 5 years older or younger than me) that grew up on shit like , Sheer Terror, Cro-Mags, Leeway, Sick of it All, Burn, Quicksand, were superior.

But they kinda are, especially compared to the safe, bland, saccharine-sweet twee crap so many groups "from Brooklyn" put out these days. Music these days is about as dangerous as waking up to a life-threatening case of bedhead.

"Why do think that China is gearing up to kick our asses, man?!"

(Btw, I give props to bands with actual talent and heart, like TVOTR and YYYeahs)

Posted by DogsofWar | January 11, 2010 9:40 AM

The cro-mags are overrated?
your definately in the minority you turd-ball

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2010 7:00 PM

Sheez, how old is Ratbones nowadays?! 55 or so? Dude needs to hang at the bar or something.

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2010 1:02 PM

gay

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2010 6:58 PM

Great pics.
Glad BV is covering Hardcore shows.

MCS

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2010 6:56 PM

SOUNDS LIKE A BUNCHA HATERS IN THESE COMMENTS...
CRO MAGS ARE DOING PRETTY GOOD FOR A LOCAL HARDCORE BAND FROM NY WHOS LAST REAL ALBUM CAME OUT IN THE LATE 80'S..
THEY GET PAID TO DO WHAT THEY LOVE.. AND THEY STILL PACK THE SHOWS & SELL MERCH..
"AGE OF QUARREL" IS GOSPEL FOR KIDS FROM THAT ERA.
SAME FOR BAD BRAINS..
WHAT THE F*CK HAVE YOU DONE FOR MUSIC??

LesOne718

Posted by FuckenLes 718 | January 22, 2010 10:50 PM

Aren't you poor slogs are too old to still be angry youths and go to shows to kick others and get bloodied. C'mon.. do you still wear a nametag at work? Ooops.

Posted by hottie | January 25, 2010 9:22 AM

The cro-mags are overrated?
your definately in the minority you turd-ball

Posted by شات صوتي | January 31, 2010 1:10 AM

Posted by شات اللوبي | February 6, 2010 2:19 PM

listen, Fuj-Pak... I saw the Doors live and I saw Jimi Hendrix live and I've been to more Poison Idea shows than you can ever WET DREAM of and I've seen DRI and GG Allin and the Circle Jerks and the Hardons and YOU NAME it - LIVE - and I saw the Cro-Mags live when they started, and now I'm going to Hank III shows and would KILL to see Rammstein live, and - FEAR THIS - I will be there spreading ANARCHY among YOUR GREAT-GRANDCHILDREN.

I LOVE it when some nutless gutless worthless GEEZER tells me to "Grow Up", because I know you're DEAD below the WAIST, and INSANELY JEALOUS.

Deal with it.

Posted by Merinas van der Lubbe | February 10, 2010 11:09 PM

Put your dicks away!

I'm pretty sure music isn't a giant pissing contest. You people are worse than sports fans and the jocks you despise. Mackaye, H.R. and Rollins would just laugh at you and disagree with everything you say. Music is about self expression and art. It's not the WWF.

Two words: small brains.

Posted by piss pants | February 12, 2010 10:52 AM

and piss pants for the win!

Posted by '_____' | February 16, 2010 8:12 PM

andrew w.k. does not look like that, b.

Posted by iPhoneÖtzi | February 18, 2010 12:59 PM

hardcore is for bro's that want to be in a band but can't sing. that's why they yell

Posted by Anonymous | February 25, 2010 9:52 AM

The problem is two-fold- A: most indie kids in their 20s now didn't grow up with anything really approaching rock n roll. At best they had Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam and other shit like that. At worst they grew up hearing as much r&b and like, trip-hop or something and they did anything rock. That's why Animal Collective and shitty hip hop and R&B AND Matt & Kim and other basically non-rock stuff appeals to them. They see a bunch of tatted-up dudes at a sausage fest of a show and they think, "LAME", and actually, it is from a purely aesthetic point of view. But it's also exciting, passionate rock n roll, as opposed to laptop music made by upper middle class kids who went to good colleges and will probably wind up with a PhD before they're 32.

I'll take the Cromags. And I hate tattoos.

There ARE bands who do play great rock n roll who aren't a part of the whole throwback aggro punk scene. They just don't get as much attention. Maybe people think they're "hipster punk" or "hipster garage", but it's a hell of a lot better than most of the shit whitey is pushing these days.

Posted by jauy | March 5, 2010 10:36 PM

I forgot the second fold.

Posted by jauy | March 5, 2010 10:40 PM