Posted in music on December 18, 2009

Owen Pallett

"Owen Pallett has announced that he will no longer be using the name Final Fantasy for his musical work. Owen Pallett's new album 'Heartland' will be available on Domino on January 12, 2010. Owen has issued the following statement:"

Friends,

I began playing solo violin shows in 2004. Although it was essentially a solo project, I named the band Final Fantasy, as the experience--and the tone of the material--was reminiscent of the hours and hours I had spent as an adolescent playing those epic JRPGs.

But the laws of trademark infringement exist for good reason, and so I am voluntarily retiring my band name. In the new year, my record Heartland is coming out, and it is my first to be released in many territories, including Japan. With this in mind, I feel it is in my own best interests to definitively distinguish my music from Square/Enix's games.

So, I am no longer playing shows as Final Fantasy. Subsequent releases, including Heartland, will be issued under my own name, Owen Pallett. Prior releases will sometime soon be re-packaged and re-issued.

I thank Square/Enix their kindness and support, and I thank you all for your understanding.

Salud!

Owen

Tickets are still on sale for the Final Fantasy Owen Pallett show happening at Bowery Ballroom on January 18th.

Final Fantasy Owen Pallett - 2010 Tour Dates
Jan 12 - FINAL FANTASY "HEARTLAND" CD RELEASE - Mod Club Toronto, Ontario
Jan 14 - Bottom of the Hill San Francisco, California
Jan 16 - Schuba's Chicago, Illinois
Jan 18 - Bowery Ballroom New York, New York
Feb 6 - Hillside Inside Guelph, Ontario
Feb 10 - St. Matthew's Church Halifax, Quebec
Feb 17 - Sydenham United Church Kingston, Ontario
Feb 18 - Blacksheep Inn Wakefield, Quebec
Feb 20 - Theatre Outremont Montreal, Quebec

so stupid. heave forbid japanese rpg's be associated with good music rather than J-Pop divas.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2009 8:53 AM

I'm surprised he didn't get sued already

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2009 9:31 AM

can we just talk about how much final fantasy (the game) sucks and the countless hours I've suffered watching my roommates waste there lives and mine playing.
thanks I feel better now.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2009 9:45 AM

id imagine its a bitch googling final fantasy, so its a smart move on his part

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2009 9:45 AM

Final Fantasy (The Game) does not exist. But 12 of them do! And lots of them are great.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2009 9:54 AM

I wonder what Walter Schreifels has to say about this.

Posted by Kurt C. | December 18, 2009 10:18 AM

Sounds like a lawsuit was pending, and he was put in a position where he had no choice. The sad part is he spent 5 years building up a name.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2009 11:47 AM

Santigold's got his back

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2009 12:19 PM

hahaha, imagine bv turning into videogame bitching now.

"Final Fantasy SUCKS!!!!! Final Fantasy > Metal Gear Solid

WOW MGS is totally game of the year in my opinion. final fantasy just stands there.

wow where are they going to release halo 4? in bill gate's bathtub?

what time does mario go on?"

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2009 12:19 PM

New Super MEHrio Brothers

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2009 12:29 PM

Fucknal Fucktasy

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2009 12:53 PM

oooh, just like smog, [smog], bill callahan, & palace brothers, palace music, palace, will oldham?

beyond pretentious, & he fits right into that glove just perfectly.

Posted by cranky | December 18, 2009 1:18 PM

Hmmm. You think the album title 'He Poos Clouds' could actually be alluding the Final Fantasy character 'Cloud'?

He should call himself "Owen Pallett Tactics"

Posted by naj | December 18, 2009 1:23 PM

^^
file under 'arbitrarily negative douchebag'

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2009 1:26 PM

^^

file under "eat a dick, fanboy"

Posted by cranky | December 18, 2009 1:35 PM

That file is full. See Pitchfork Top 50 thread.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2009 1:44 PM

Imma let you finish, but Call of Duty had one of the best games of all time!

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2009 2:11 PM

He should call himself 'Owen Pallett Tactics.'

You think 'He Poos Clouds" refers to Cloud from FF?

Posted by naj | December 18, 2009 2:13 PM

oh good, i can download a million times easier now.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2009 11:33 PM

awww. but i liked that name. ppl saying 'what the fuck are you talking about' if i said i'm listening to final fantasy. oh well.

Posted by imkoreansowhat | December 19, 2009 12:15 AM

I don't know what musicians expect when they name themselves after something produced by a corporation in the 21st century.

Now if only Philip Seymour Hoffman had the legal standing to sue the talentless little lo-fi feelgood folk prick using his name.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2010 10:12 PM

yea final fantasy is a bit confusing name considering the game

Posted by bulldog training | January 11, 2010 7:33 PM

The name change was indeed the most appropriate thing. No more confusion.

Nick

Posted by make money online | January 11, 2010 8:19 PM

uhm... owen palletts a flamer and is a bit annoying live.. but he's pretty good with a loop... but over all gay

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2010 10:35 AM

I like final fantasy. Thanks for informatioan

Posted by Landscapes Wallpaper | February 4, 2010 8:29 AM

I was really surprised to read the news that Owen Pallett dropped the name Final Fantasy for his musical work. I loved the new release "Heartland” very much. Planning to see him live in Ontario. The specialty of his music is ,it comes from the soul and touches the heart of the listener. I wish he will keep up his good work in coming years too and will entertain the music lovers like me for centuries together.

Posted by Prom Dresses | February 8, 2010 1:04 PM

I wonder why Owen Pallett dropped the final fantasy name. He says he wont be using the name “Final Fantasy” anymore for his work. Owen Pallett's new album 'Heartland' was mad available on January 12th 2010. When he was asked why he dropped the name Final fantasy he said he had been playing solo violin shows since 2004 and although it was a solo project he named it Final Fantasy. Due to trademark infringement laws which he thinks exists for good reason, he voluntarily retired his brand name. He then said his new work Heartland is going to be released on New Year which I think is going to rock. It will be released on many territories including Japan. He concluded saying he therefore wont be playing shows as Final Fantasy and all the subsequent releases will be played under his name, Owen Pallett. I hope the people around the world comes to know about this fact.

Posted by Colts Tickets | February 9, 2010 5:09 AM

Good for him that he decided to do so...

Posted by Blogger Templates | March 6, 2010 11:19 AM

Posted by designer clothes | March 14, 2010 3:11 PM

I love the new release "Heartland” very much. and i plan to see him live in Ontario. His music that comes from the soul and touches my the heart I wish he will keep up his good work in coming years too and will entertain the music lovers like me.

Posted by prom dresses | March 23, 2010 4:43 AM

Final fantasy is great

Posted by formal dresses | March 25, 2010 4:36 AM

he's pretty good with a loop... but over all gay

Posted by clothing store | May 27, 2010 4:08 AM

Good luck, hope it works out for the best. Sometimes breaking away is the best thing and helping to create a better name for yourself. The name of the game seemed to be a bit off anyways.

Posted by Bail Insurance | May 19, 2011 2:03 PM

Interesting...I think maybe he thought the name was too popular now and decided to go with something less main stream? I think it could be a good decision...we'll see how it works out for him.

Posted by Plastics Industries | June 4, 2011 8:44 AM