Posted in music | pictures on December 3, 2009

photos by Tim Griffin

Passion Pit / Phoenix
Phoenix

Phoenix and Passion Pit shared a NYC concert bill for the third time this year last night at Hammerstein Ballroom (12/2). The WRXP-sponsored holiday show also included sets by Jack's Mannequin and Manchester Orchestra, as well as hosting by the radio station's morning host Matt Pinfield.

It was a big night for Phoenix who were nominated for a Grammy in the "Best Alternative Album" category on the same evening.

Best Alternative Album nominess
David Byrne & Brian Eno, Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
Death Cab For Cutie, The Open Door
Depeche Mode, Sounds Of The Universe
Phoenix, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Yeah Yeah Yeahs, It's Blitz!
For Passion Pit, it was their 2nd recent show in one of the big NYC venues. They played the Woodies at Roseland last month. They complete the trifecta when they hit Terminal 5 (for three nights in a row) in January.

For Phoenix and WRXP, it was their first of two NYC shows this week. More pictures with setlists, below...

Phoenix

Someone please tell Michael to get a haircut.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 12:12 PM

Phish was awesome last night

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 12:15 PM

I second the first comment: Michael needs a haircut.

Also, Pete Wentz looks so douchey I can't even stand it.

Posted by G | December 3, 2009 12:24 PM

fish is always great

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 12:27 PM

Where do you see Pete Wentz?

Just looking at the crowd makes me puke.....so these are the poeple that goes to Phoenix/Passion Pit shows....

they look like young hipsters

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 12:31 PM

Brought to you by american apparel and urban outfitters

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 12:36 PM

Phoenix rocked the house last night!

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 12:53 PM

the crowd looks like regular people. but then again, i dont really know what a "young hipster" looks like. Is it the hats a couple of people wore in the first row?

brooklyn vegan sucks for posting closeup pictures of the crowd anyway (shots of the entire crowd is different). Maybe they want to be able to go to a show without having their image blasted on blogs just so that snarky people can make comments about whats wrong with them.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 1:04 PM

That Phoenix set list sucks. Rome (short)? You can't play the full song?

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 1:11 PM

the lead singer from Phoenix looks like Young Love.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 1:14 PM

You've never seem them live I guess 1:11...Rome is definitely extended during regular sets. Mind you they are sharing the bill with 3 other bands. I personally think its a decent set list. Heavy on the new stuff but what do you expect?

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 1:15 PM

horrible looking crowd, phoenix is a great band but who the fuck booked jacks mannequin and manchester orchestra. emo shit.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 1:21 PM

Michael was on last night actually. He has definitely taken some vocal lessons or at least learned how to better sing the over produced (but awesome) record.

oh, and phoenix did rock it.

Posted by reheatedspaghetti | December 3, 2009 1:22 PM

tim is slipping.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 1:27 PM

what is the crowd supposed to look like? you fucking people find something to complain about regardless of what it is. you fucking assholes hate everything. do you guys even like music? every band covered on here is hated. it's rediculous.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 1:28 PM

1:28 - not entirely true. there were some bands covered the past couple weeks with no asshole comments.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 1:48 PM

way too many pics.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 1:53 PM

@anon 1:53pm, what's the problem, its takes too long for you to scroll down to the bottom to make some weak pointless comment?

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 2:06 PM

man, passion pit sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 2:17 PM

I felt bad for all the people near Penn Station last night that were going to Hammerstein instead of the Garden. Phish absolutely brought the motherf'ing house down.

Posted by Mike Hunt | December 3, 2009 2:24 PM

God you miserable fucks kill me. Too many pictures? Are you fucking kidding me?

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 2:29 PM

phoenix's lighting is always terrible

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 2:32 PM

Why? Different strokes for different folks. I would have liked to have gone to the phish show, but the smell of courdory was too strong for me to sit in an arena for over 3 hours.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 2:36 PM

@anon 2:06... i think @anon 1:53's comment means we don't need to see every single shot that the photographer took last night.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 3:00 PM

passion pit owned that stage

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 4:02 PM

passion pit - much like their ep and full length - started out catchy...but then just annoyed the shit out of me with their whining and overbearing synth.

phoenix was great though. really great.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 4:12 PM

im glad i dont go to these shows. they are only filled with 16 year olds who are staying out late on a school night. only thing worse is being around wannabe brooklyn kids who have daddy pay their rent.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 5:15 PM

Agree that there are too many haters on here. Cheers to Passion Pitt and Phoenix for bringing out so many adorable young ladies who were obviously ahving a lot of fun. Nothing wrong with that!

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 5:16 PM

gentrified men are only allowed to fuckin shows?

newbs

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 5:42 PM

michael is so fucking odd on stage! I love it.

Posted by monsoonseason | December 3, 2009 6:35 PM

Everything was great. You yuppies are all such haters all the time... Here's my review:

Phoenix, obviously, rocked it. They're always great live. Their set was great, although I would have loved to hear "Countdown," "Rally," and "Napoleon Says," but "Love Like A Sunset" totally made up for it... That shit was ridiculous!

Passion Pit was great. I came in thinking that they'd be horrible (I mean, how many people can do that falsetto Michael does on the album..? I thought it was just production, but the dude can do it!). Great set, though they didn't play my favorites ("Better Things" and "Eyes As Candles." The crowd was crazy dancing; it was great.

Jack's Mannequin was an odd choice, but I used to love them a few years ago, so it was very nostalgic... my best friend came just for them, and they weren't a disappointment. I actually really enjoyed them... They helped give variety to the bill.

I got into Manchester Orchestra last year, and think that Andy is a great songwriter and they put on a good show. Very happy that they opened with "Pride." That's my favorite. The crowd seemed to hate them... I guess it's understandable because their stuff is a bit more intense and serious than that of Phoenix, Passion Pit, and Phoenix. Overall though, I thought they were kickin'.

The ONLY problem with the show, in my opinion, was the lighting. It was always really dark onstage which was annoying, but I had such a great time... And thanks BV-- I wouldn't have known about the show or gotten the presale code otherwise :)

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 7:27 PM

I was so fucking pissed off. First off, I bought tickets to this show and then Matt Pinfield goes "Wow you guys are troopers... 5 hour show..." Ok what? 5 hours! I was surrounded by dorky teens and emo shitheads. I wanted to see one band-- PHOENIX. I couldn't take it! I had to sit through 3 horrible bands just to get to Phoenix. I just couldn't do it. Passion Pit fans are pimply teenage girls... seriously. I had to leave early, because unlike the rest of the audience, y'know... the emo kids that showed up with their parents...I had to wake up bright and early the next day for work. Matt Pinfield: thanks for selling out and wasting my $50. I used to respect you, and now I think you suck donkey balls. As for Phoenix, it pained me to miss out on that, but I've seen them 3 times this year so... I haven't totally missed out.

Posted by Teresa | December 3, 2009 10:36 PM

Passion Pit = Overrated. The lead singer sounds like a boy going through puberty. The other two bands were worse.

Posted by Teresa | December 3, 2009 10:53 PM

Like I said, Phish was sick last night. You guys chose poorly.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2009 10:58 PM

Phoenix were awesome even though the set had to be abbreviated because there were 4 bands on the bill. They did an extended version of Love Like A Sunset that was intense, although I would rather have heard a couple of songs from It's Never Been Like This in its place. Passion Pit were good, Jack's Mannequin were great, and Manchester Orchestra just sounded pissed off for no reason. The crowd was beautiful!

Posted by Gary | December 3, 2009 11:07 PM

Yeah the crowd looked beautiful..like a Bay City Rollers concert or Hanson with synthesizers. Thats a lot of urban outfitters for four bands there yall. Id rather see people dressed up like the Thompson twins and even that is a bit funny.

The last two bands can make TV commercial music which should work well for them when the teen beat wears off.

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2009 5:02 AM

the passion pit singer is total "bring home to parents and get married to" material. he just needs to take better care of his hair, it looks quite dry and tangled!

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2009 5:13 AM

Personally, I don't mind seeing a bunch of teenagers in the crowd when I'm at a show. I used to be one of those kids jumping around to bands like Get Up Kids or Saves the Day 10 years ago. I mean they could be listening to the Jonas Brothers or Miley Cyrus or Lady Gaga or some shit like the rest of their peers. In general, it's a positive thing when anyone is turned on to music that isn't necessarily mainstream. Good bands deserved to be rewarded and we can't hog them all to ourselves.

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2009 1:54 PM

fEEEEish suck bananas

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2009 6:55 PM

Well said.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2009 11:10 AM

mookie d

Posted by Rachel Adjmi | December 7, 2009 1:06 PM

You fuckers always ridicule the last definitive American indie music scene ( west coast- alternative/ grunge).. but I really wish i was around for the likes of that shit-- there's no way those flanneled out kids were ever bitching as much as you flanneled out kids. I like a lot of these bands.. but the negativity is so frustrating.

Posted by perry | December 7, 2009 5:41 PM

All the teenagers were at the Passion Pit/Phoenix show, while the pre-teens were backstage at the Phish show in Mike Gordon's dressing room.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2009 6:05 PM

Passion Pit USE BACKING TRACKS. They are not A REAL BAND, but POSTURE TO BE. This derision of them is just, trust.

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2009 1:42 PM

phoenix uses backing tracks as well, actually. lots of them. just like passion pit, the drummer controls them.

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2009 3:06 PM

Wow all you people do is bitch on this site.. Does anything make you happy or meet your seal of approval?

Posted by Steve | December 20, 2009 11:34 AM

It amazes me how people have to incessantly put down everything around them to make them feel better about their own. Like at Anon 1:54, your intentions are good, but did you have to put down other acts you don't like just to validate your own point? Can't someone like Phoenix, Lady Gaga, and Phish and just be okay with that?

Posted by Mike | December 21, 2009 1:05 PM

شكرا لكم لهذا الدعم

Posted by توبيكات مسنجر | December 31, 2009 3:56 PM

نشر موقعك

Posted by نشر مدونات | January 11, 2010 1:20 PM

yea a lot of people complain on this site.. it's a bit annoying, kinda like my husky

Posted by husky training | January 11, 2010 7:42 PM

It's just wrong that hard working bands who are veterans of the road and actually write good songs can't book these larger venues (crappy sound aside), because mallfucking ragamuffins like PP signed a contract to release albums if the label paid for rehab... sigh

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 7:26 PM

thaaaanks

Posted by منتدى | February 3, 2010 6:51 PM

Après pour les billets personnels... Bah c'est un peu toujours le cas. "Toute théorie est biographique" comme disait Leroi-Gouran. Plus sérieusement, faire partager son expérience de la vie peut être enrichissant pour soi et pour les autres.

Posted by الطب البديل | March 23, 2010 12:50 PM

I guess she hates the Red Sox too!

Let's hope the Yanks clinch it today...

Posted by ben ten | May 20, 2010 10:58 AM