Posted in comedy | music | pictures on January 25, 2010

photos by Paul Birman

"Thanks to everyone who came to the BV Haiti benefit last night. You made it really special." - St. Vincent

"St. Vincent and Justin Vernon performing together was easily one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen/heard." - Steph Lo

Brooklyn Vegan and Bowery Presents Haiti Benefit

Wyatt Cenac was funny. Then came Britt Daniel (of Spoon) with White Rabbits frontman Stephen Patterson. They had such a good time on stage together, you can tell they were buds. Janeane Garofalo came next - she has the smartest humor and is a strong rooted New Yorker. Made a ton of jokes about the L train and hipsters which the crowd took very warmly to. Gosh she's tiny. St Vincent went on and sounded like the lovely thing she is. Someone yelled while she was setting up 'show us your bush'????', In which she replied, 'that is the strangest thing someone has ever said to me...on or off stage'. Adorable. Following her was Zach Galifianakis who everyone was undeniably waiting for. It really looked like he just rolled out of bed, picked up some papers from a table and walked on stage totally winging his whole act...hilarious. Alas came Justin Vernon (aka Bon Iver). His voice sounded just as amazing it does on record. The room was at its most quiet during "Flume". Unreal. He was the last act but did say something about a special guest - I heard it was Megafaun/My Brightest Diamond (had to leave early), which I imagine rounded out the benefit nicely. Really awesome that these guys all came together"...
[Stadiums & Shrines]
Thanks for that partial recap S&S. You should have gotten there earlier and stayed later though!

The night opened with a great debut set by singer-songwriter John Shade (previously Dave Godowsky) who brought out Justin Vernon on drums for two songs. Before and after John, and between every set of the night, came comedy by our two able hosts: Bobby Tisdale and Leo Allen. St Vincent's set included a National and a Nico cover. Justin covered John Prine. Britt Daniel did three songs, which was one less than he played at Sound Fix a few hours earlier.

And yep, the special guest after/during Justin's set was in fact Shara Worden (My Brightest Diamond) who (after headlining Bowery Ballroom one night earlier) played two jaw dropping numbers - one with Colin Stetson on his most-insane giant saxophone, and a cover of Prince's "How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore".

But it didn't end there. A supergroup called Songer Singwriter featuring Annie, Justin, drummer, and Brad from Megafaun came back to close the night off right with a set of four more covers. Neil Young's "Harvest Moon", Tom Petty's "Face in the Crowd" (with Brad on lead), Dolly Parton's "Jolene", and Annie Lennox's "Why". Each of those final covers was better than the next. To quote one of my tweets, "To quote my friend, 'Sounds like sonic youth playing a dolly parton song. Sick!' and now Annie Lennox Why! Full room Bon Iver singalong".

We ran almost non-stop for 3.5 hours straight (8-11:30), and raised over $20,000. I'm still waiting for an exact number. More pictures (one of two sets we have) and some videos from the show, below....

"Mind is blown after Brit Daniels, St. Vincent, Justin Vernon & co. Shara Worden was a total surprise and covered a Prince song!" - jennylow

Haiti

My Brightest Diamond

My Brightest Diamond

My Brightest Diamond

My Brightest Diamond

Songer Singwriter...

Haiti

Thanks to Ro (top) and Adam Roith (bottom) for the flyers.

Thanks to everyone at Music Hall, Bowery Presents, Josh, Katie, Klaus, Nate, Bart, Julia & everyone else who helped put this together so quickly. Thanks to everyone who performed and to everyone who attended. We'll be sorting out the money details today, hopefully getting it the proper people in Haiti ASAP.

"Justin Vernon and st. Vincent covering Neil youngs harvest moon. Doesn't get any better. Best show ever. Incredible." - clickfortucker

John Shade - I Hate The World and Everyone in It

Britt Daniel - Who Makes Your Money (solo)

Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) - Flume

Justin Vernon - A Satisfied Mind

St Vincent The Party (St Vincent) w/ Justin Vernon

St. Vincent and Justin Vernon - Harvest Moon (Music Hall of Williamsburg, 1.23.10)

'Jolene' by St.Vincent + Justin Vernon

What other songs did Justin do?

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 11:57 AM

zach galifinakis actually was on just before St. Vincent, so the rowdy mood of the crowd might (partially) explain the strange comment as she came on stage

Posted by will perkins | January 25, 2010 11:58 AM

the "floating hat" picture of zach is awesome, nice one!

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 12:00 PM

The best part is that the 'show me your bush' comment didn't come from a guy and it was so delayed. She blurted out, "SHOW US YOUR..." and then there was a little delay (I think she was surprised how quiet it got) and she finally finished it off with the topper.

Great night had by all. Only at these type of events do I not get frustrated with dudes making regular "booze runs".

Posted by Travis | January 25, 2010 12:04 PM

This was a phenomenal show; St. Vinny also opened with a "These Days" cover. Just my opinion but the music blew away the comedy, but it was all good either way

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 12:05 PM

BTW- They couldn't have picked a better "trustifarian" out of the crowd. Girl with fake hair who works at Shape magazine while going to F.I.T...He went way too easy on her.

Posted by Travis | January 25, 2010 12:07 PM

The strange comment could also be likely from that SUPER OBNOXIOUS BLONDE (and her Mom?) in the front who seemed to find something to should at just about everyone, for no apparent reason. I literally saw someone try to pay her to leave or move.

Posted by Ryan Tomorrow | January 25, 2010 12:07 PM

11:58 st. vincent came on stage at the end of the show. it was beautiful. i don't recall any strange comments though.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 12:08 PM

"I literally saw someone try to pay her to leave or move."

I thought I heard the guy shout "I will literally give you $20 to just shut the fuck up" at one point, which was hilarious. She thought she was the star of the show, along with some other douche that tried to yell out and get the attention of all the acts. Whatever, great night, always going to be a few ridiculous people in a crowd

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 12:09 PM

I was thinking, halfway through: "Am I going to get arrested for punching a girl at a benefit show?"

Some people's children.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 12:11 PM

the obnoxious girl was handed 4 bucks, which she took but still kept talking. that situation was pretty bizarre.

Posted by paul | January 25, 2010 12:15 PM

fantab show all around, although I would have preferred 4+ hours of nuttin but Galifianakis. long love Haiti & Williamsbeard

Posted by thigh master | January 25, 2010 12:15 PM

Crazy broad

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 12:16 PM

"Only at these type of events do I not get frustrated with dudes making regular "booze runs"."

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 12:22 PM

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 12:23 PM

"How come people in the audience didn't know Britt Daniel OR Justin Vernon? Somebody shouted out to St. Vincent: "You better be good." What the Hell!"

That's not the impression i got. The place seemed to be applauding loudly for every performer.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 12:30 PM

That was the largest saxophone I've ever seen.

Great show, and with the exception of a very few people, a good audience.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 12:37 PM

sounds like every single person there was douching it up

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 12:43 PM

janeane garofalo, she has the smartest humor

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 12:45 PM

and! she is a strong rooted new yorker

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 12:48 PM

Is it me or did Annie and Justin have crazy chemistry. They be doin it, me thinks... And if not, they should... They'd make the cutest couple! :-)

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 12:51 PM

What were the three songs Britt Daniel did?

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 12:55 PM

anybody have video of annie's "mistaken for strangers" cover? amazing night.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 12:58 PM

BV, you should really be commended for doing such a great job on getting this show together so quickly and raising a whole lot of money for a very worthy cause. Thank you.

And the show was great.

Posted by Jason PSNYC | January 25, 2010 1:12 PM

Don't recognize the first Britt song (cover?), but the second was "Who Makes Your Money" and the third was "I Summon You".

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 1:20 PM

These were people that were only there for Zach G. I definitely encountered some of them, and they were fucking dumb

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 1:26 PM

Great night. So much talent. Definitely worth the money. Zach is always hilarious but he needs some new material. If I have to hear that stupid "Uncle David" bit one more time... And he can't go one show without a Hoobastank show. But that shit is somehow always funny...

Posted by BTW | January 25, 2010 1:32 PM

«Don't hate the playa, hate the game.»

¡Sí, vamos a la playa!

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 1:36 PM

Amazing night! Songer Singwriter supergroup was pure genius. Great job BV!

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 1:45 PM

these photos look amazing! thanks for the recap. so wish i could've been there.

Posted by AG | January 25, 2010 1:47 PM

The first song Britt Daniel played was a cover of "Isolation" by an obscure 70's artist named John Lennon.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 1:50 PM

Britt's first song was a cover of John Lennon's "Isolation"

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 1:50 PM

First song Britt played was "Isolation" by John Lennon.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 1:53 PM

I recorded that Harvest Moon video. Jolene has also been uploaded and is currently being processed by Youtube.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 1:56 PM

1:50- I know I've heard of this John Lennon guy before. Wasn't he on The Royal Tenenbaums soundtrack? In any event, "Isolation" is a great song, I'll have to check out his albums.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 2:00 PM

YAHTZEE

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 2:11 PM

What a great show, and awesome photography capturing it!

Check out an in-depth review of the night:
www.looklistenplay.com/haitibenefit

Posted by LLP | January 25, 2010 3:52 PM

The drummer in Songer/Singwriter was Jon Mueller, of Pele, Collections of Colonies of Bees, and many others. You don't know how lucky you were to see him.

Any word on money raised?

Posted by pk | January 25, 2010 4:19 PM

Anyone want to post what Janeane Garofalo said about the L train and hipsters?

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 4:46 PM

Thanks a lot for the beautiful photos Paul. Now I have to go splurge on the 135mm f2.

Posted by Chris Graham | January 25, 2010 5:03 PM

why such a short post? dont u have any pix from the show for us?

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 5:28 PM

Anyone want to post what Janeane Garofalo said about the L train and hipsters?
^^
why don't you? I'm now intrigued...

Posted by K81 | January 25, 2010 11:49 PM

"The comedians phoned it in -- they all kept asking how much more time they had to spend on stage -- and Zach G.'s sexism was particularly disgusting."

you're a moron

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2010 12:17 AM

"Anyone want to post what Janeane Garofalo said about the L train and hipsters?
^^
why don't you? I'm now intrigued..."

in a nut shell: if the L train ever breaks down, everyone on it will be ok, because everyone's shit is interchangeable and essentially fits the same mold. i don't remember the specifics, but grizzly bear was mentioned..

Posted by paul | January 26, 2010 12:32 AM

seeing annie's bush would have been great. especially for haiti.

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2010 12:41 AM

do girl's still wear "bush"?

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2010 12:43 AM

Truth be told, many women have this same fantasy. Many more have even “busted a move” for their lover. Sound like fun? It sure is! Plus, the Romantic Striptease is an awesome way to show your big ass just how sexy you’re feeling. And take it from me, he will agree with you 100%.

Posted by sexy ass | January 26, 2010 4:01 AM

wow great story...

Posted by arnel | January 26, 2010 4:29 AM

How come Garofalo gave away her jewelry and DIDN'T sell it to raise more money for Haiti?!

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2010 12:10 PM

the clips of Vernon are great...

Posted by K81 | January 26, 2010 12:44 PM

wow... i havent seen a picture of janeane garofalo in ten years... i had no idea thats what she became. she just looks terrible with those tattoos. its like a pretty woman protested against being labeled pretty and decided to be an ugly overly tattooed biker chick instead.

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2010 1:09 PM

that mistaken for strangers video is great, except the whole first verse is missing! someone help! i want to listen to this all the time.

Posted by Anonymous | January 27, 2010 11:44 AM

Annie was fawning over Vernon at her show at Lincoln Center. I got the feeling that they could be an item there, too. They would win for most adorable couple.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2010 9:28 AM

Such an important event for a worthy cause. We need more events like this...especially for the most recent environmental disaster in the gulf. We have yet to fully understand the magnitude of this horrific event.

Posted by HEPA air purifier | May 31, 2010 3:00 PM

Is it just me or are natural disasters becoming more common and getting less and less media coverage. Just the other day I was watching and old show that I had recorded around the time of the tsunami in thailand and sumatra. All the commercials were about giving aid and the different benefits that were going on.

Just recently we have seen major earthquakes in haiti and chile and there was nothing like that sort of media!!!

Posted by accident claims | June 23, 2010 7:46 AM

It is great that there are still organized such events. The pics are wonderful.

Posted by Philip R. Mcclain | June 24, 2010 8:47 AM

I am really glad to hear that Britt Daniel and Justin Vernon attended this money raise, it is a noble cause.

Posted by Sabrina Stein | June 25, 2010 7:08 AM

Posted by bestbuy | July 14, 2010 10:59 AM

Great show Paul, and thanks for pics!
Vernon rules!!! ;)

Posted by Targu Mures | July 21, 2010 1:04 PM

Woow!! what a great show. I was there!!

Posted by Annoying Orange | July 21, 2010 1:06 PM

Britt Daniel, Justin Vernon, Janeane Garofalo, Zach Galifianakis ...simply my favorites!!!

Posted by Older Woman | July 21, 2010 1:18 PM

Zach Galifianakis really looked like he just rolled out of bed, picked up some papers from a table and walked on stage totally winging his whole act...hilarious.

Posted by Pariuri Sportive | July 21, 2010 3:16 PM

BrooklynVegan and Bowery Presents sounded the horns for Haiti and an all-star cast responded. This thing sold out in hours, with 100% of the proceeds being split between an orphanage in Haiti and the Red Cross. Victoria was there, shooting away (and texting a very envious, me). Here's a recap, in her own stream of words:

"...ended up brushing shoulders with Janeane Garofalo who is the tiniest human being I have ever seen...she is like 4'11'. Wyatt Cenac was funny. Then came Britt Daniels (of Spoon) with White Rabbits frontman Stephen Patterson. They had such a good time on stage together, you can tell they were buds. Janeane Garofalo came next - she has the smartest humor and is a strong rooted New Yorker. Made a ton of jokes about the L train and hipsters which the crowd took very warmly to. Gosh she's tiny. St. Vincent went on and sounded like the lovely thing she is. Someone yelled while she was setting up 'show us your bush?', In which she replied, 'that is the strangest thing someone has ever said to me...on or off stage'. Adorable. Following was Zach Galifianakis who everyone was undeniably waiting for. It really looked like he just rolled out of bed, picked up some papers from a table and walked on stage totally winging his whole act...hilarious. Alas came Vernon (aka Bon Iver). His voice sounded just as amazing it does on record. The room was at its most quiet during "Flume" (video). Unreal. He was the last act but did say something about a special guest (My Brightest Diamond/Megafaun), I had to leave early, I imagine it rounded out the benefit nicely. Really awesome that these guys all came together.'

Posted by Free Player | July 23, 2010 5:13 AM

Posted by cosplay | August 19, 2010 4:33 AM

Very nice music!!
I saw them live and it was fantastic!!

Posted by Mark Lewis | September 16, 2010 2:58 PM

Great bands getting together for a great cause.

Posted by Tony S | October 8, 2010 12:04 PM

Posted by Life insurance ratings | January 4, 2011 7:52 AM

Oh, and what about those question marks on Sunday's text in the concert poster below? No, that isn't saving a spot for a Smiths reunion or U2 debut on the Coachella stage, it's the way that Yorke presents himself as a solo star, the marquee at his Orpheum concert had the same punctuational flourish.

Posted by منتديات | January 12, 2011 2:18 PM

This lineup happens to be very good. Pavement and Deerhunter are playing on the same day. It doesn't get much better than that.Anyone who wonders why LCD Soundsystem has the second billing has obviously not seen them live. They are probably the best band i've ever seen at a festival (Lollapalooza 2007).

Posted by Line Sport | January 13, 2011 10:41 AM

Posted by Line Sport | January 13, 2011 10:42 AM

Posted by منتديات | February 16, 2011 3:39 PM

thank you very much about your subject

Posted by ازياء نسائية | February 16, 2011 3:41 PM

Posted by فيديو يوتيوب | February 16, 2011 3:42 PM

The show was phenomenal. I think the comedy wasn't as good as the music. But it's all good.

Posted by Los Angeles Self Storage | February 18, 2011 3:59 PM

Posted by نتائج الثانوية العامة | February 21, 2011 12:18 AM

great show, I really enjoyed the music!!

Posted by Übersetzer Französisch Deutsch | February 24, 2011 10:02 AM

Posted by الرياض | February 28, 2011 2:13 AM

Best show ever. Can't wait to see them again!!!

Posted by Importberatung | February 28, 2011 5:31 AM

Posted by منتديات | February 28, 2011 8:22 AM

That looks like a great show. Some good music and good comedy. I wish i could have been there i know everyone must have had a greta time and it was a good cause.

Posted by server | March 4, 2011 1:41 AM

Wow, these pictures look like you guys had a great time! Next time I'll be there!

Posted by English French Translations | March 4, 2011 4:54 AM

I think it's amazing, that so many great artists wanted to help the people in Haiti!

Posted by Sprachschule Leipzig | March 22, 2011 10:55 AM

We need definitly more events like this!!!

Posted by Call Center | March 31, 2011 10:48 AM

Posted by Rinoplastia bh | April 10, 2011 9:47 PM

Very impressiv fotos!

Posted by portugiesisch uebersetzungsdienst | April 12, 2011 4:45 AM

Who took these photos? does he has a website too?

Posted by Webdesign | April 13, 2011 3:55 AM

Thanks for organizing a benefit night for Haiti, for considering and helping people who need to b supported.

Posted by Traduzione | April 15, 2011 6:11 AM

Britt Daniel is my favourite!!!!

Posted by Türkisch Übersetzungen | April 20, 2011 4:27 AM

Besides her, this was one of the most flawless multi-act shows I've attended, especially considering the speed in which it was assembled. Bravo, BV. And thanks.ímoveis zona sul de BH

Posted by Outsourcing de impressao | April 26, 2011 9:28 PM

I like your fotos so much, they show such a good impressions of the concerts. really nice!

Posted by Übersetzer für Finnisch | May 5, 2011 4:20 AM

I totally like those pictures! Thanks for posting this!

Posted by chinesisch übersetzungen | May 10, 2011 9:54 AM

Looks like a swell time! Hope you enjoyed it as much as your photos depict!

Posted by Mechanic Apprenticeships | May 22, 2011 5:57 PM

I love britt Daniel

Posted by Old Vet | June 10, 2011 11:18 AM

People may have forgotten about Haiti in general today, but I'm glad there was so much support when the quake actually occurred. It was a wonderful thing to see such an outpouring of aid.

Posted by Papasan Chair | June 17, 2011 1:54 PM

Du leter etter hjelp til oversettelse din til tysk?

Posted by Norwegisch Übersetzer | June 29, 2011 8:54 AM

Great pics!

Posted by Wirtschaftsenglisch | June 29, 2011 8:58 AM

Britt Daniel for President!!!

Posted by Übersetzer für Finnisch | July 25, 2011 4:55 AM

Really impressed by the show!

Posted by IT-Service Hamburg | July 30, 2011 4:52 PM

Well most talented rock star died young because of one common cause. Drug Addiction. I don't http://www.dleelsite.com mean to judge but barely stating a factWell most talented rock star died young because of one common cause. Drug Addiction. I don't mean to
judge
but barely stating http://www.kss7.com a fact

Posted by xciix | April 12, 2012 5:48 AM

goood 129 dhdhd 10283

Posted by cafe | August 31, 2012 5:59 PM

really enjoyed the music
Thanks :)

Posted by chat7lacol | October 16, 2012 4:50 AM

Britt Daniel has never been as talented as Britt Daniel thinks he is.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2012 7:44 AM

great thanks

Posted by myegy | December 28, 2012 6:08 AM

Thank you to you and I'm really happy :)

by : 3zseo ^_^

Posted by Center Download | March 16, 2013 3:29 AM

is the dan deacon ultimate reality thread full now? is this the new hot spot?

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2013 3:51 AM