Posted in music | tour dates on January 21, 2010

I am very happy to announce....

Red Cross
Red Cross

A Night of Comedy and Music to Benefit Haiti
Presented By Bowery Presents and BrooklynVegan
With short sets by:
Zach Galifianakis, Britt Daniel (of Spoon), Justin Vernon (Bon Iver), St. Vincent, Janeane Garofalo, Wyatt Cenac (of the Daily Show), the live debut of John Shade (ex Dave Godowsky) & possibly more TBA (stay tuned)

Venue: Music Hall of Williamsburg
Date: Sat 1/23 (AKA IN LESS THAN TWO DAYS)
Notes: 18+, Doors 6:30 PM / Show 8:00 PM

Tickets (on sale Friday at noon) are only going to be $35 in advance, and $40 at the door if there are any left. A more expensive VIP option will be available so we can raise as much money as possible. 100% of the proceeds will be split between an orphanage in Haiti (that Zach chose) and the Red Cross.

Note: this show is not to be confused North 6th for Haiti (1/27 @ MHOW) which will also be announced any second (and is already on Ticketmaster)

We were lucky to get Justin Vernon who was in town just long enough after tonight's appearance (1/21) for the NY Guitar Festival.

Spoon was also in town tonight for a show, and Britt Daniel will be playing a show at Sound Fix that same day at 7pm (1/23).

Zach Galifianakis speaks to Natalie Portman in the video below...

special thanks to Josh, Katie, Klaus, Nate & everyone else who helped put this together so quickly.

I hope anyone who attends this has a great time. I'm sure that all of this relief effort will make a huge difference for so many in need.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2010 8:23 PM

Amazing lineup for a great cause - way to go BV!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2010 8:52 PM

Um, this lineup is insane(ly amazing!), major kudos, BV. Definitely will be there.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2010 8:56 PM

Awesome lineup. When will you be able to confirm Radiohead?

Posted by olga | January 21, 2010 8:57 PM

Radiohead just announced a benefit show in LA on the 24th...

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2010 9:13 PM

Nice! Good work BV. I hope you raise a boatload of cash...and I hope MHOW are giving you a cut of the bar too.

Posted by clairepetrol | January 21, 2010 11:18 PM

NYC constantly gets the best shows in the world. Let LA have Radiohead. What I don't understand is why they are not having something like this at a bigger venue. They would collect more money and many people who would like to both contribute and see the band, but simply won't be able to afford it now, could go.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2010 11:20 PM

giving money to the red cross is like throwing to the garbage, for many reasons.
how many cents on the dollar are actually going for aid? 20?
you should've gone with doctors without borders
for instance.
the only ones saving lives over there at the moment are the israeli army and their state of the art hospital, who just drove over from the dominican republic while the incompetant american army and the red cross are still jerking each other off at the airport.
and btw, didn't obama promise a "swift aid"?
he's pulling his very own katrina here.
the difference is that bush killed around 1000 in new orleans and obama killed around 100,000.

Posted by anon | January 22, 2010 12:32 AM

do you shave your v for vagina?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 12:34 AM

don't miss the last word by the harvard grad amreican doctor!

Posted by anon | January 22, 2010 12:37 AM

GReat stuff BV! I'll be there for sure

Posted by MvsH | January 22, 2010 12:52 AM

oooo want to go to this bad

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 12:54 AM

f yeah! thank you BV.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 12:56 AM

50% of the money is going to an orphanage.

"you should've gone with doctors without borders"

that was actually my choice for the other 50% (and who I have a banner up on the site for). Red Cross ended up being chosen in the haste of setting this up, but it's not too late to change that. If others feel strongly about this, let me know.

Posted by brooklynvegan | January 22, 2010 1:15 AM

yay, BV!

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 1:18 AM

BV don't listen to that guy with a political agenda. This is awesome just the way it is. Kudos to you, BP, and the artists.

Posted by nyc taper | January 22, 2010 1:24 AM

Doctors without borders do great work and the donation would be better served from what Ive read over the years.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 3:57 AM

I'll donate an extra $50 if you can get Justin to play a song called "The Orient and the Gatsby's slew of choices". I'm serious about this.

Posted by MvsH | January 22, 2010 4:39 AM

The Red Cross sucks. I do not advise using them. Doctors Without Borders is excellent, as is Partners In Health. I donated to the latter, personally. As a returned Peace Corps volunteer, I am no stranger to int'l aid orgs and who is doing (and not doing) what. Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 7:30 AM

I agree with the notion that the proceeds go to Doctors Without Borders and Partners in Health. You don't need to raise money for the administrators who run the Red Cross/Salvation Army/UNICEF.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 7:55 AM

How do you buy tickets? on Ticketmaster?

Posted by Christine | January 22, 2010 8:46 AM

great job BV!

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 9:01 AM

Awesome! I second (third) the Doctors Without Borders motion.

Posted by Katie | January 22, 2010 9:21 AM

I don't see this show on the TICKETMASTER WEB SITE...

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 9:37 AM

me either @937 -- where is the link?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 9:48 AM

Tickets (on sale Friday at noon)

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 10:27 AM

thanks captain obvious, usually there is a link prior to the ticket sale though

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 10:31 AM

its either not on ticketmaster or its built for the wrong date. I'm guessing the n. 6th haiti benefit on the 27th that goes on sale at noon is something else?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 10:33 AM

I agree with the Doctors w/o Borders call. A good friend of mine works in the field of humanitarian aid, and she strongly recommends them. This is based upon years of experience working with varied global agencies.

BTW, I am also curious HOW to get tix for this show, it is indeed odd that its not listed on the TM site.

Posted by ik | January 22, 2010 10:36 AM

Please donate to partners in health...a big huge conglomerate like red cross, most of the money gets tied up in the giant bureaucracy.

www.pih.org

Doctors without borders is another good one too.

Thanks for fundraising. Haiti needs all the help they can get right now.

Amazing that you got justin to do it too.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 11:03 AM

I didn't want to be negative about a charitable effort, but since others have already mentioned it and it is possible to change this, I'd suggest DWOB or PIH, too. The Red Cross just takes too much in "overhead".

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 11:09 AM

That Wednesday benefit "North 6 for Haiti" was just removed from Ticketmaster. What happened?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 11:19 AM

The ticket link is live. Post updated above with the correct link.

Posted by brooklynvegan | January 22, 2010 11:21 AM

Doctors Without Borders (MSF) or PIH, please. I donated to Red Cross as well but I think our $ will go farther in Haiti with msf or pih.
Thanks, BV.

Posted by anonymous | January 22, 2010 11:40 AM

bless you Veegs. see you and yer thighs tomorrow night

Posted by thigh master | January 22, 2010 12:03 PM

Awesome...just grabbed tix.

BV can u tell us if any of the bar proceeds go to charity as well?

Also wanted to get vip tix but it wasn't an option

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 12:11 PM

got my tix. excited beyond words. but a ton of my friends wanna go, and it seems sold out... is it? will any more tix be available at the door or summin?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2010 5:17 PM

Hmmm I wanted VIP tickets too but it wasn't an option. Any news on this? I want to give you more money. (and I also want to sit in a chair)

Posted by danielle | January 22, 2010 7:06 PM

I think there might be 2 VIP tables still left (they are in the balcony along the railing). I just tried it. You have to make sure there are zero tickets in general admission, and then the dropdown for VIP adds an option for four tickets.

Posted by brooklynvegan | January 22, 2010 7:22 PM

also, Britt Daniel is playing early - like 8:45.

show starts at 8 and will go until around 12.

Posted by brooklynvegan | January 22, 2010 7:30 PM

Tickets sold out so quickly. I agree, it would be great if they moved this to a larger venue. Even if its last minute. They could raise more money and more people will get to go on such short notice.

I'll still be donating either way. I can't justify holding onto cash (i was more than willing to spend on a show) that was going to a cause just because I can't get tickets.

Posted by Myke | January 23, 2010 2:19 AM

Anyone else confirmed yet? Also, you should totally set up a "take a pic with Zach for charity" thing!

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2010 7:35 AM

I wanna go to this show! Anyway more tix will be on sale?

Posted by Tim | January 23, 2010 11:25 AM

Glad it sold out, sad it sold out so quickly. I checked yesterday afternoon.

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2010 3:56 PM

so wonderful. one of the most memorable nights i've had in a long time. cheers, bv

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2010 3:21 AM

Anyone know if there will be a setlist released or a release of last night's show on iTunes. I had a great time, and would love to listen to it over and over.

Posted by James McAuliffe | January 24, 2010 9:55 PM

ANYONE HAVE SETLISTS FROM LAST NIGHT?

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2010 11:39 PM

or pics?

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2010 12:33 AM

Thanks for putting this all together. And great to hear it was a success. I put up a few pics: http://stadiums-and-shrines.blogspot.com/2010/01/haiti-benefit-w-zach-galifianakis-britt.html

Looking forward to official BV post.

Posted by Sutton | January 25, 2010 2:27 AM

what a lovely surprise with my brightest diamond. a great show, indeed.

Posted by pm | January 25, 2010 9:38 AM

A remarkable evening of music, ruined only by the jerk who yelled out the insane remark at St. Vincent. (Supposedly she got $100 for her idiocy they were right below me.)
Thanks BV and all. Great audience, memorable performances. "Jolene" was sublime.
If anyone has Zach's performance on video, would you post it.

Posted by ge | January 25, 2010 11:17 AM

Glad it sold out, sad it sold out so quickly. I checked yesterday afternoon.

Posted by دردشة مكتوب | November 24, 2010 9:02 AM

Could you please show us some pics or videos of the fund-raising concert? I would really appreciate that...

Thanks in advance!

Dee

Posted by Woodworking Plans | May 21, 2011 7:42 AM

The picture really moved me. I almost burst into tears seeing the little baby. Haiti particularly needs help and this benefit event not only financially help the country but it also gave awareness to the public to share what we have because a lot of people are suffering without our conscious knowledge.

Posted by Catherine Schneid | August 28, 2011 3:01 PM

Glad that it was sold out. Haiti is really unfortunate to have that kind of disaster hit them.

Posted by Keyword Tool | August 29, 2011 12:19 AM

How I wish that there will be lots of people supporting these event. I night of music and laughter is a great event to go with, specially when you know that the money you pay for the ticket will help many lives.
I'm going are going there too?

Posted by BBQ Islands | August 29, 2011 4:12 AM