Posted in comedy | music | pictures on January 28, 2010

photos by Jonny Leather

'@Joslynm congrats on your pop culture trivia expertise!' - Pat Kiernan

Pat Kiernan

Jimmy Fallon
Bell House Haiti Benefit

"Without being too cheesy, I have to say there was a really beautiful spirit at last night's concert. The venue was sold out and aside from the silent auction, Bell House raised $35,000.00 for Save the Children and Partners in Health. I missed the first hour or so because I had to stop by my place, but got there in time to see Jimmy Fallon do a Neil Young impression. Then Freelance Whales played. You all should check them out. They're getting crazy attention right now and they are based out of Queens. Now that's special! Anyway, it was good times all around. Cat Power and Pavement records and CDs were given away for trivia knowledge, Ted Leo who also has shows in town, was adorable and even though Cold War Kids pulled out of the show, the Walkmen did an amazing job closing the show." [Petunia Eats]
The long show ran from 7pm-2am with, as pointed out, the Walkmen closing out the night. Actress Lauren Ambrose (Six Feet Under) and her band The Leisure Class were a surprise guest that Ryan Muir said were "blowing me away. Now they are covering St Vincent. 'Marry Me'". (St. Vincent herself played covers at the Haiti benefit that happened at Music Hall on Saturday). NY1's Pat Kiernan (possibly who I wanted to see the most on the bill) hosted trivia. Eugene Mirman introduced him as the guy you see every morning on TV if you don't have Fios.

All artists, including Here We Go Magic, played short sets. If you want to see more of them (HWGM), they play as a headliner at Music Hall of Williamsburg on Friday.

More pictures and some videos (by Tim Duffy of Pop Tarts Suck Toasted) from the Bell House (in alphabetical order), below...

Haiti Benefit

Councilman

Councilman

Diana Savino

Eugene Mirman

Freelance Whales

Fun.

Here We Go Magic

Jim Gaffigan

Jimmy Fallon (as Neil Young) @ The Bell House

Lauren Ambrose

Michael Showalter

Bell House Haiti Benefit

The Seekers (Nicole Atkins and AC Newman)

The Seekers @ The Bell House

The Seekers (Rhett Miller)

Skippy

Sondre Lerche

Ted Leo

Ted Leo @ The Bell House

The Blow

Todd Barry

Wahoo Skiffle Crazies

Wahoo Skiffle Crazies @ The Bell House

The Walkmen

The Wrens

The Wrens @ The Bell House

eh, i liked the one with John Shade better.

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 1:30 PM

What. a. show.

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 1:34 PM

agreed. much credit is due to all of the musicians, performers, speakers, and organizers (Jack in particular). amazing show for a very important and worthwhile cause.

Posted by anonymous | January 28, 2010 1:38 PM

The Wrens--best music of the night; Todd Barry--best comedian of the night! GREAT great evening. Skippy and everyone who worked last night = xoxoxox

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 1:41 PM

wrens/ walkmen setlists?

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 2:01 PM

Wrens:
New Song
This Boy is Exhausted
Everyone Chooses Sides

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 2:05 PM

i like the choice of charities.
red cross has more than enough money.

Posted by anon | January 28, 2010 2:06 PM

jimmy fallon is so cool.

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 2:09 PM

Good times. Sondre Lerche was amazing.

Posted by chris | January 28, 2010 2:12 PM

I was really, really impressed by how smooth the whole night ran. Perfect length sets, everyone sounded excellent and was in good spirits, and there was barely any downtime between acts, which can really bog down a long, complicated show like this.

I was there for about 7 hours and wasn't bored for a minute. This doesn't even mention the live karaoke which likely went on long after I left. Saw some dude donate $70 to sing a duet of Careless Whisper with Ted Leo. Great job, all around.

Posted by Jeff | January 28, 2010 2:13 PM

Insanely fun. I had to leave early and Missed the Blow and the Walkmen, but seeing the Wrens alone was insanely amazing.

Also, I won a blanket.

Posted by Ryan Tomorrow | January 28, 2010 2:19 PM

It's a shame that we have to have big disasters to have shows like this for charity.

Posted by The Mighty KC | January 28, 2010 2:36 PM

This wasn't as fun and entertaining as the posts above would have you believe. The musical acts all seemed slap-dash and sloppy. Ted Leo was dreadful. The comedians were given too little time to build any momentum. The $50 was for a good cause but not and the Bell House wasn't too crowded despite it being a sell-out. It was a 5 out of 10 night.

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 2:36 PM

2:36 wishes THEY had won a blanket.

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 2:39 PM

Who cares. J. D. Salinger died.

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 2:40 PM

yeah, that is right... there were definitely some down-sides. mostly that "2:36" was there

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 2:41 PM

Woh, I also left before the Blow and Walkmen and I also won a blanket.

The Wrens continue to astound me.

Posted by Tim | January 28, 2010 2:52 PM

failon

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 2:55 PM

seems like the lamest benefit yet. And please stop with that Neil Young impersonation: it is NOT funny. Someone long ago must have told Fallon he has a good singing voice, and forget it. there's always some kind of bursting into song on his part.

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 2:57 PM

loved all the music except the wahoo skiffles or whatever. really not my thing.

the seekers tribute was really nice and fitting.

2:36 was a bit harsh, but ted leo's tone did sound like diarrhea. not sure what he was thinking.

I thought showalter's bit was really funny, but it seemed like no one else did.

Posted by Andrew | January 28, 2010 3:06 PM

ummm Pat Kiernan was there!? Now I'm really pissed I didn't go.

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 3:12 PM

The Wrens also played Happy.

Cant remember what they opened with, but the Walkmen played Canadian Girl, Red Moon, and Louisiana, for a four song total. Basically full band, but without drums.

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 3:22 PM

"some really rude people there last night by the bar heckling and just being stupid in general. don't really understand why."

Its very possible that was me. I don't know what got into me. I apologize.

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 3:49 PM

Kudos to the soundguy who had to basically mix 15 acts without one single soundcheck. We Are The World!

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 4:04 PM

the wrens are not a bunch of hot daddies

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 4:04 PM

I thought the Wahoo Skiffle Crazies had a great set! Folky and steam-punky at the same time. When Rhett Miller came out and helped them duct tape their homemade bass together - priceless moment.

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 4:07 PM

I disagree that the sound was good last night. Most of the comedians were barely audible, there were failures with acoustic guitars seemingly going direct, Ted Leo's guitar was in the mariana trench, and no one fixed it. Its not clear to me that tone was Leo's doing, his live tone is usually remarkably good.

and there were at least some soundchecks.

That's not to slam the soundperson or the venue. It was a great time, and a lot of acts did move over that stage quickly and without a hitch; but it was not perfectly smooth.

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2010 5:08 PM

The Wahoo Skiffel Crazies seem like a shitty Squirrel nut Zippers.

Posted by The Mighty KC | January 28, 2010 9:23 PM

At least Fun had some great huggy pants for the evening.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2010 5:04 AM

Yes, the sound had SOME issues dealing with 15 different acts with wildly different requirements over short sets during a BENEFIT SHOW.

I want my money back, Haiti.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2010 8:55 AM

Yeah, that sound guy deserves some props. I can't imagine trying to make a ten piece jug band, the Wrens and everything in between sound good through the same sound system in the same night with no soundchecks in between.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2010 4:34 PM

Careful what you say about the Wahoos, KC. They look like they drink a LOT of whiskey and most of their instruments double as weapons.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2010 4:42 PM

That’s the BIZNESS!
Get YOUR MUSIC CAREER MOVIN’
With TOP PRO TEAM at
MAXIMIZE YOUR TALENTS, GOALS
& OPPORTUNITIES With MAJOR PROMOTION,
MARKETING & DISTRIBUTION Worldwide!
You GOT THE POWER! INDIEPOWER! Use it!

Posted by Indie Power | February 4, 2010 6:42 PM

CHARLES BISSELL.

Posted by Sixth Wren | February 11, 2010 1:21 PM

Why this happens only when somethings goes terribly wrong? They need charity shows to get together? Man that's not right.

Posted by easy saver complaints | October 31, 2010 11:41 AM

Oh, and what about those question marks on Sunday's text in the concert poster below? No, that isn't saving a spot for a Smiths reunion or U2 debut on the Coachella stage, it's the way that Yorke presents himself as a solo star, the marquee at his Orpheum concert had the same punctuational flourish.

Posted by منتديات | January 12, 2011 3:25 PM

I received my first personal loans when I was a teenager and that aided me very much. Nevertheless, I need the credit loan once more time.

Posted by COLLEENGonzales | December 29, 2011 4:05 AM