Posted in music on January 10, 2010

Michael Gira @ The Stone in 2008 (more by Lori Baily)
Michael GIra

The highly influential post-punk band has returned, sort of...

COMING SOON, NEW SWANS ALBUM AND TOUR(S)

The song "Jim" recently added to the [Michael Gira MySpace] playlist is an acoustic demo (solo at home) recording by Michael Gira. this, and many other new songs recorded in the same way comprise many of the new (rough versions) of songs under consideration, to be fleshed out on the coming new Swans album. A cd of these acoustic versions, as well as a live (2 shows) dvd of M.Gira will be for sale very soon as a hand made (by Gira) package called I Am Not Insane (CD/DVD). This package - in a limited edition of 1000 - will be sold in order to raise money for the Swans recordings/offset the huge costs involved... coming soon...

Principal players on the Swans album are (and there will be many special guests):
Michael Gira / gtr / voice / mendicant friar act (original Swans)
Norman Westberg - Guitar (original Swans)
Christophj Hahn - Guitar (mid period Swans and most Angels of Light)
Phil Puleo - Drums, percussion, dulcimer etc etc (final Swans tour and most Angels)
Chris Pravdica - Bass and gadgets (Flux Information Sciences / Services / Gunga Din)
Thor Harris, Drums, percussion, vibes, dulcimer, curios, etc etc... (Angels, now also with Shearwater)

Angels Of Light is temporarily on hold while gira pursues his "new" project... -[Michael Gira]

Fantastic news, though Jarboe is missing from the list of principal players. Stay tuned for more information.

Angels of Light was formed by Gira in 1998 after Swans broke up. Swans videos below...

Swans - Mtv interview + clips with Michael Gira and Jarboe 1992

Swans - music documentary

Swans - A Screw (Holy Money) (live)

Swans - Miracle Of Love

Swans - Love will tear us apart (cover)

this will be as big as the pavement reunion

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2010 12:10 AM

Finally

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2010 12:29 AM

fuck yeah!!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2010 1:19 AM

the loudest show in history of human kind.
brussel, mid 80s, bleeding ears, locked exit doors. cruelty like this doesn't exist in music any more. for better or worse.
(and that includes you, kevin shields!)

Posted by DannyBoy | January 11, 2010 2:09 AM

swans, without jarboe? this gets a meh for now...

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2010 2:58 AM

Thats amazing after Swans are dead CD. Have not seen Swans since 1997 and thought they would never play again. Luckily Angels of Light have offset that with good live shows.
Michael and Jarboe dated for quite a while which ended difficultly. She wasnt in the first five years nevertheless Jarboe a great musician too.
They recorded audio that was on Drainland of them having a fight.

Posted by TD | January 11, 2010 4:51 AM

thor!

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2010 7:41 AM

the greatest band of all time!
a shame (though not surprising) that the 'reunion' will not include Jarboe. However, look at that INCREDIBLE lineup! Westber, Hahn, Puleo and Thor all together? insane!!! i will be seeing as many of these shows as i possibly can!
Swans Are Dead is the best live record EVER!

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2010 8:16 AM

FUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2010 8:37 AM

Their album covers bring on nightmares in the teenage mind.

Posted by Squash Dived | January 11, 2010 8:39 AM

post-punk?

Posted by isfet | January 11, 2010 9:27 AM

HOLY SHIT BALLS

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2010 9:54 AM

fuck yeah!

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2010 9:57 AM

Most Amazing Band. . . . . but no Jarboe? C'mon kids we want a real reunion Swans not a GnR's style one.

Posted by kevchino | January 11, 2010 10:18 AM

Phil Puleo!

Good to see members of Cop Shoot Cop (who are not named Tod A) working, and not getting involved in armed robberies.

Posted by noamjamski | January 11, 2010 11:04 AM

holy falafal balls with tahina and hummus

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2010 11:26 AM

comparing Swans w/out Jarboe to G'n'R with Axel + whoever is ridiculous. No doubt, Jarboe was an integral and important member of Swans. She deserves eternal respect for her vocal on the version of "I Crawled" found on Swans Are Dead alone. However, Gira wrote nearly everything Swans did on his own. IMO, Swans consists of whoever Gira wants it to consist of. While Jarboe would obviously be the second contender (followed by Westberg), Gira is the only essential member of Swans.

would have been cool to see Al Kizys on bass...

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2010 11:55 AM

THIS is the reunion I've been waiting for.

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2010 12:35 PM

CAN'T WAIT!

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2010 1:45 PM

"HOLY SHIT BALLS"

Amen!!!

Posted by Lori | January 11, 2010 1:48 PM

ATP NY headliner, perhaps?

Posted by Ben | January 11, 2010 2:16 PM

MAMA MIA SHIT!

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2010 2:22 PM

jarboe wasn't even in the band to begin with, not to diminish her contributions or talent. and it would be great to have her up there.... but Gira and Westberg playing Swans songs is enough for a Swans reunion in my book.

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2010 2:51 PM

Do u know what will happen if you put "black " "white " "finder"and ".""com" together?

then you will get the URL, It's a nice and free place for Black Women and Black Men ,

or White Women and- White Men to interact with each other. Maybe you

wanna check out or tell your friends.FREE TO JOIN.C'MON NOW!!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2010 10:24 PM

Guys....Jarboe wasn't even in the early Swans albums (Filth, Cop, Young God) which are all brutal perfection.

Posted by Brandon | January 12, 2010 8:44 PM

This should be very exciting, but I'm very disappointed that Jarboe is not listed in the line up. Swans is Michael and Jarboe. People don't realize just how much she contributed to Swans, not just her vocals (both lead and the trade mark harmonizing with MG), but also her keyboards and her arrangements. It was the union of M & J that gave us "Children of God." Knowing that the "Blood Women, Roses," album (billed as Skin, but essentially J's first solo album)was made before COG is proof of that.

Posted by Anonymous | January 13, 2010 8:25 AM

THOR! represent ATX!

Posted by TXn | January 13, 2010 8:35 AM

The split of Swans coincided with the breakup between Michael and Jarboe, so I don't think it's likely Jarboe will be there.

I prefer the Gira songs from SWANS.

Jarboe was even more weird and crazy than Michael, but she doesn't have such a unique voice.

I guess lots of 80ies Swans fans hated Jarboe, because the music got more mellow when she joined.

Well, I like Jarboe too.

Seeing them both on stage together is not likely I guess, but it would be cool.

Posted by johan | January 13, 2010 9:21 AM

I love Jarboe. I can't imagine songs like "In my Garden", the "Black Eyed Dog" Drake cover, Mother/Father, or a great deal of the Children of God & Soundtracks for the Blind LPs without her presence. What she projected emotionally was harrowing, totally committed, in its own way the perfect match for the uncompromising ferocity of Gira's lyrics & expression. Love her haunting keyboard work as well. That said, who the fuck is going to argue with Gira + Westberg + other past Swans folks calling themselves the Swans? Together they are responsible for a great deal of what made the band distinctive, if not 100% of it. They are owed the name for this reunion. So let's all give Jarboe the credit she absolutely deserves but let's stop the quibbling about whether the upcoming Swans line-up is worthy of the name. ... Oh and HOLY SHIT BALLS

Posted by SK | January 13, 2010 1:24 PM

My heart leaped when I heard this news. After I read the band roster, it sank just as quickly. It won't be a truly representative SWANS reunion without Jarboe.

I saw their final North American show in NYC in 1997. It was one of the most incredible live performances I have ever witnessed. Gira's and Jarboe's performances were especially devastating.

While I can surmise why she's not being included (and it is exciting that Hahn, Puleo, Webster and Thor are all going to be playing together!) I'd still rather hang onto my memory of that one sublime show (or take a time machine back to Filth/Cop era) than see this current incarnation. It'd just be too sad for me, seeing them without her.

Posted by Mer | January 17, 2010 5:14 AM

I think this is more a gut level or emotional thing coming from Gira. He simply wants to "feel abuse pass through his body again" as he put it in an old newsletter. Swans was a consistently evolving beast of a thing with a host of people who contributed, but they always seemed more of a vehicle for Gira than a typical band per say.

i loved Jarboe too--Her presence helped everything from Skin through the GA greatly. However I'm not missing her on this reunion. Soundtracks for the Blind and Swans are Dead seem to be the reference points here, and I always felt Jarboe's contributions to those albums felt a bit disconnected and incongruous with the whole. Seemed like the two worked on their songs separately or something. The Gira songs on both those albums are the best things he's (or maybe anyone for that matter, not to be too hyperbolic) done. The fact that we never got studio versions of the Swans are Dead stuff (esp Feel Happiness) always bugged me a bit. In fact, they never really did a studio album that sounded anything like Swans are Dead, so I'm incredibly excited for this...

Posted by AC | January 19, 2010 6:37 PM

Gira needs the money. Norman needs the money. All this reunion business is about money. Who are we kidding, you don't revive a band after stating clearly SWANS ARE DEAD and then bring it back from the dead. All I'd take from this is Jarboe doesn't need the money. LOL

Posted by Neal | January 20, 2010 3:21 PM

feels like I woke from the dead -only to find half my favorite band. To J and M: You made a difference -make another.

Posted by Charbs | January 26, 2010 10:18 PM

I prefer all the Gira songs over the Jarboe dominated songs. Sometimes she just tries to hard I think, still some gems in there. I do however love her as backup vocals to Giras songs, so at the least i hope they find a female singer to flesh out the songs live. Mind you he has a habit of re-inventing the old songs in a live environment. I'll be happy with anything and i hope he brings them outside of the states.

Posted by Craig | January 27, 2010 5:25 PM

this is the best music news ive heard in i can't remember how long.

Posted by Anonymous | March 24, 2010 12:15 PM

Of course they need the money. So what?
Who works for free?

Phil Puleo from Cop Shoot Cop is an amazing drummer, one of the best.

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2010 8:39 AM

helll yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have always respected Michael Gira as a musician! I am super excited about this!! I love the swans, and I like Jarboe to, but Michael Gira with or without Jarboe is still the shit:)

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2010 8:49 PM

I'll be happy with anything and i hope he brings them outside of the states.

Posted by uggs sale | July 16, 2010 10:51 PM

I just saw them in Chicago and the show was excellent. They played for an hour and forty five minutes. I saw them in '95 and '97. Both times were amazing. This show was on par with those albeit without Jarboe.

Posted by chris | October 6, 2010 12:12 PM

NYC Bowerry, was with out exception one of the best shows I have seen, bear wittness to in Years....Gira is geniu!!, He is booked now for 26 euro, and also 18 month global gig, so boys n girls, get ur american express ready, and go see what will be a mind blowing mild mind fuck, collective experience that few have ever mastered, let alone resurected to this level, amazing, really, PAR does not endorse any complications that may arise from seeing SWANS>>>JUST GO!
mind blowwwwwing......oh yeah!
WAY TO GO SWANS, AND mike gira....
far out....
oh, the doors r not locked however he still turns up the heat, for his voice...it is all good...and very cool.

Posted by jimitits | October 20, 2010 4:08 PM

Personally, I'd rather see Al re-unite with Of Cabbages and Kings. Or Bag People.

Posted by ahughes798 | December 4, 2010 9:11 PM

shut up

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2010 10:08 PM

I think Jarboe may actually need the money - she just doesn't need the abuse.

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | December 4, 2010 11:06 PM

Oh, and what about those question marks on Sunday's text in the concert poster below? No, that isn't saving a spot for a Smiths reunion or U2 debut on the Coachella stage, it's the way that Yorke presents himself as a solo star, the marquee at his Orpheum concert had the same punctuational flourish.

Posted by منتديات | January 12, 2011 3:29 PM

I'll be happy with anything and i hope he brings them outside of the states.

Posted by فساتين | February 21, 2011 4:37 PM

Seriously? No kidding here, right?

WOOOOO! This is awesome!

Dee

Posted by Woodworking Plans | May 21, 2011 11:17 AM

I haven't heard this band before. But they surely have that awesome effect. As I listen to there video. I really appreciate a lot.

Posted by BBQ Islands | August 29, 2011 5:39 AM