Posted in music on January 8, 2010

Sharon Jones album cover

On Sharon Jones' birthday this year [May 4th], the band will release I Learned the Hard Way, their fourth full-length on Brooklyn's independent Daptone Records. The record marks a bold step forward for a band who almost singlehandedly stewarded today's return of soul music to its more traditional sound.

I Learned the Hard Way was produced by Bosco Mann and recorded on an Ampex eight-track tape machine by Gabriel Roth in Daptone Records' House of Soul studios, the record drips with a warmth and spontaneity rarely found since the golden days of Muscle Shoals and Stax. Sharon's raw power, rhythmic swagger, moaning soulfulness, and melodic command set her firmly alongside Tina Turner, James Brown, Mavis Staples, and Aretha as a fixture in the canon of soul music. From the lush Philly-Soul fanfare that ushers in "The Game Gets Old" at the top of the record, to the stripped down Sam Cooke-style "Mama Don't Like My Man" at the tail, the Dap-Kings dance seamlessly through both the most crafted and simple arrangements with subtlety and discipline.
Check out the cover art featuring a photo taken by BV photographer Jacob Blickenstaff. Tracklist for the new album below...

"I Learned The Hard Way" Track Listing:
1. The Game Gets Old
2. I Learned The Hard Way
3. Better Things
4. Give It Back
5. Money
6. The Reason
7. Window Shopping
8. She Ain't A Child No More
9. I'll Still Be True
10. Without A Heart
11. If You Call
12. Mama Don't Like My Man

YESSSSSS! the only bad part is having to wait til May

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2010 3:37 PM

That is one GREAT photograph!!!!! Can't wait to hear the CD.....

Posted by Tim Sampson | January 8, 2010 3:47 PM

fucking love this band

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2010 3:49 PM

amazing, can't wait!

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2010 1:13 PM

that cover kicks ass

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2010 1:18 PM

The best band Brooklyn has produced in the last 20 years. No one comes within miles. I wonder if they ever recorded any of those Southpaw shows from back in the day. This one from January 2005 saved my life.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2010 2:14 PM

this is the first time the entire band has been featured on an album cover...

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2010 10:04 PM

Glad to see D.R.I. getting there due. This was the first band I ever saw live way back in 1989. I was in the sixth grade and went with my older brother's friend. It was on the THRASH ZONE tour. Ruled.

The first ever music I purchased were two cassettes, D.R.I's DEALING WITH IT and CROSSOVER. Long live thrash metal.

Great pictures.
Excellent post, thank you very much for taking the time to share with those who are starting on the subject. Greetings
------------------

Posted by Youtube | April 28, 2010 9:44 PM

Oh, and what about those question marks on Sunday's text in the concert poster below? No, that isn't saving a spot for a Smiths reunion or U2 debut on the Coachella stage, it's the way that Yorke presents himself as a solo star, the marquee at his Orpheum concert had the same punctuational flourish.

Posted by منتديات | January 12, 2011 3:38 PM

Wonderful post and the location is beautiful and elegant in design and information and everything>>> to Favorites
Amazing is an enormous understatement. One of the best electronic shows I've ever been to and I've seen well over a thousand concerts. I had no idea Vladislav Delay was as good a drummer & percussionist as he is- fabulous and he kept everything swinging with a very unique style of playing. If you missed this you missed out big time...
===================