Posted in TV | comedy | music on January 12, 2010

Aziz Ansari and Conan O'Brien

"In the grand scheme of things, figuring out whether to stay in a job that pays north of $15 million a year or fighting for some sort of buyout that would also be in the millions -- if not multimillions -- is something of a luxury problem. But those are basically the options facing NBC's Conan O'Brien, who is being told "The Tonight Show" is going to move from 11:35 p.m. to 12:05 a.m. to make room for Jay Leno's return to late night." [LA Times]
Conan has rejected the offer to move to 12:05. His statement along with videos of Vampire Weekend and Aziz Ansari on the show (both from the past few days), below...

Vampire Weekend - Cousins @ David Letterman - 1/5

Vampire Weekend - Cousins @ Conan O'Brien - 1/11

Thursday night they will perform "Horchata" on Craig Ferguson.

Aziz Ansari on Conan - 1/8

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,
Conan

Conan is owning this shit, I hope he comes back to NYC for whatever his next show is

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 4:41 PM

"I have made a huge mistake."

- NBC / A.D.

Posted by kata rokkar | January 12, 2010 4:47 PM

"Conan is owning this shit"

Yeah like he is owning the ratings, you dimwit. Conan is owning nothing. He is not funny and the move to 11:30 did not work.

BYE BYE UNFUNNYMAN

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 4:50 PM

fuck NBC. And Leno just needs to hang it up.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 4:52 PM

we're all missing the point here, which is that this new Vampire Weekend video/song is embarrassing as fuck. they have all the charisma of a case of athlete's foot.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 4:58 PM

Hipsters love NBC.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 4:59 PM

From Carson to Conan. One thing for sure, won't get much worse than that. Conan couldn't carry Johnny's jock strap.

Posted by donn | January 12, 2010 4:59 PM

Anon 4:50 LOVES Adult Swim only and is 5 years old. Conan is owning this shit.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 4:59 PM

Aziz is awesome!
(that was great when he played Cameo's)

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 5:07 PM

go Conan!

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 5:13 PM

Cone Zone should go to another network and make raucous oddball humor without regard for Geezers and ear hair tweezers who's affinity for large ass shaped chins is akin to a primordial longing for alien dong.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 5:13 PM

I was on the fence about Vampire Weekend. My gut has been telling me that they really aren't that good and undeserving of all the pres they get. That video up there proves my point. That song is terrible.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 5:16 PM

conan never made sense at that time slot. he really kinda stopped being funny at 11:30. i'm glad its over, it was getting embarrassing.

rip conebone

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 5:20 PM

Conan and Cali don't mix. Time to come home Red.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 5:23 PM

Totally agree. Come back to the city that loves and knows you best Conan.

Posted by michaelways | January 12, 2010 5:25 PM

can he save The Simpsons now?

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 5:36 PM

@4:50

The bad ratings didn't start at 11:35pm with Conan, they started at 10pm with Leno, lost more viewers when the local news went on and by the time The Tonight Show started, nobody was there to watch. Show me ratings for The Tonight Show where Conan didn't have to deal with the Leno shitshow, and then maybe you'll have an argument to stand on. Until then, he's right: He never really got a fair chance.

While it may not be likely, I'd love for NBC to tell Leno that it's just his time and have him shown the door. He was supposed to be gone anyway, and that's what he agreed to years ago when they signed the deal to give the reins to Conan. Leno is just being selfish.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 5:37 PM

conan o'leno should both go and take NBC's precious jimmy fallon with them.
Death to ALL un-funny late night shows for oatmeal eaters in middle america.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 5:38 PM

anon 4:59 is a pretentious hipster who dislikes surreal comedy. go back to the midwest.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 5:41 PM

Back to Boston it is!

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 5:44 PM

Why not can Fallon (who was never funny), keep Conan where he is and put Leno (who was once funny) on at 12:30?

Maybe it will bring back Leno to his pre-Tonight Show appear on Letterman once a month greatness?

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 5:56 PM

4:50 here.

To Anon 4:41 who is also 4:59, it is kind of absurd that someone who uses the phrase "owning it" would have the nerve to call another person a child. But please show me any proof that he is in fact owning it?

And this goes for you as well 5:37. Love your lame attempt at expert tv analysis(which you stole from other parts of the internet) but unfortunately Conan's ratings were never that great at 12:30 either. He just did not have any real competition. This has nothing to do with lead in's and Leno's lame 10pm show. Conan is just not really funny. Or raucous or oddball for that matter. It was ok for 12:30 but would not work for 11:30 which is a totally different audience. This has nothing to do with giving him time. He is just not good enough to develop that type of comedy needed for that spot unlike Letterman who is a true genius.

Seriously though, when will you hipsters who think Conan is raucous and oddball and Deerhunter is experimental and challenging die already.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 5:56 PM

^HAHAHA

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 6:03 PM

I don't get the lead-in's thing. Are we going under the assumption that people turn the TV on, pick a show and then never change the channel? What year is it again?

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 6:04 PM

The slot should be a round-robin format for a year: Jay-Conan-Jimmie on rotation. At the end of a year, the three get their slots based on performance.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 6:09 PM

^ i don't think you know what "raucous" means.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 6:09 PM

@5:56

I didn't steal what I said from anyone. It doesn't take a genius to figure out TV ratings and how they work. I know it must be hard to comprehend, but you're not the only person in the world with a brain Also, humor is relative and I think Conan is a very funny quirky man, and that works for me at any time in the day. Who else can take Bruce Springsteen's drummer and make him into a character where he's an unapologetic dirty perv? I edit what I said earlier too: Leno isn't being selfish, but NBC is. Who cares if you lose him? He's only got a few more years in him left. When it comes time to finally replace Leno again, who are they going to put in there? Jimmy Fallon or Carson Daly?

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 6:23 PM

i like vampire weekend. i bet they're fun live. crowd probably gets into it. and the singer looks like roger federer.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 6:31 PM

I am the author of such words as Raucous and oddball, and I am a native of Brooklyn NY. :-)

rau·cous (rôks)
adj.
1. Rough-sounding and harsh: raucous laughter.
2. Boisterous and disorderly: "the raucous give and take of American democracy" (Charles Kuralt).
[From Latin raucus.]

raucous [ˈrɔːkəs]
adj
(of voices, cries, etc.) harshly or hoarsely loud
[from Latin raucus hoarse]
raucously adv
raucousness less commonly, raucity [ˈrɔːsɪtɪ] n

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Adj. 1. raucous - unpleasantly loud and harsh
strident
cacophonic, cacophonous - having an unpleasant sound; "as cacophonous as a henyard"- John McCarten
2. raucous - disturbing the public peace; loud and rough; "a raucous party"; "rowdy teenagers"
rowdy
disorderly - undisciplined and unruly; "disorderly youths"; "disorderly conduct"

It is a somewhat fitting word to describe a brand of humor.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 6:31 PM

Conan for Mayor

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 6:47 PM

6:31,
Of course you stole that from somewhere else. It must take a genius to figure it though out cause your dumb ass got it wrong. Conan is not failing in any way because of what you copied from somewhere else.

You are right about humor being relative but in all honesty you make the argument about Conan not being funny with this statement:

"Who else can take Bruce Springsteen's drummer and make him into a character where he's an unapologetic dirty perv"

Oh yeah that is truly hilarious quirky edgy humor. Ooh wow.

NBC is not being selfish. Just realizing they may have made a mistake and trying to somehow correct it. While also appeasing their affiliates who were not making money with Leno at 10 or News at 11 while still losing money from the 11:30 switch to Conan.

And thanks 6:31 for that definition of raucous. A very fitting word to describe a brand of humor. Just not Conan's

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 7:09 PM

^^^oops, that should be "figure it out though..."

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 7:11 PM

exactly 6:31. that's the point. raucous by itself does not mean what you intended. then again, it's fairly clear that you're a dolt.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 7:33 PM

7:09's comment was clearly directed at 6:23 and not 6:31

Pardon the error

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 7:40 PM

#teamconan

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 8:03 PM

CONING
CONAN
CONIN'

team conan
for the
motherfucking
kiiiiiillllll

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 8:19 PM

why did vampire weekend play the same song on both those shows, only a week apart?

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 8:37 PM

Conan, Jay, Jimmy F, Jimmy K, - not a one of them all that funny. Dave still has his moments. Otherwise, late night network TV generally sucks. Goes for SNL too - why does that piece of shit even exist anymore? At its best, it only batted .400 for laughs tops.
Fuck em all. Fuck you too, for that matter.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 9:11 PM

question for 7:09 - who do you find funny then? contemporary people only.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 9:32 PM

Kimmel is funny. Mainly because he's taken over the old Late Night ethos of "nobody's watching so we can do whatever we want." I like a host that acts like he doesn't give a shit. That's where Conan went wrong with the Tonight Show. All of the sudden he removed all the oddball shit that made him funny on Late Night because he had to church it up for the new audience. In the end, the old folks still didn't like him AND he lost his former demographic for being to safe in the process. If he would have just brought his exact show to 11:30 he might have had better luck.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 9:45 PM

party starter

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 10:38 PM

don't understand why they use a voice effect on cousins on TV

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 10:52 PM

conan will be the next arsenio hall

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 11:37 PM

her name was sally but we called her sal mineo
she was lit up like an arson but she burned out like arsenio

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2010 11:58 PM

conan, go for the gold!

jay leno, grow a pair.

Posted by Anonymous | January 13, 2010 1:04 AM

the late night shows tonight are awesome! interesting that Fallon seems to be the only one ignoring the whole thing. guessing he wants to stay on good terms since he's new

Posted by Anonymous | January 13, 2010 1:10 AM

What sort of kid would use "own it' and "killed" so much on BV? Maybe some idiot trust funder from the East Coast who tells people to go back to the midwest when he doesnt even remember that Leno who is not a comedian (watch the Bill Hicks piece & Jay lied and said he discovered Bill which is nonsense) is suppose to be gone. Leno is creepy with his young girl guests always. Take your 50 million and go Jay after you pissed off local news stations and everyone else. Maybe you can go to Fox news with Palin and your little pins to show how patriotic you are.

Conan is OK but gets by on his cute quirkiness.
So to the kids out there who have never seen Letterman have on years ago Tom Waits and not too long ago, great music guests which to name would be endless with great studio acoustics, Chris Elliot skits and Hunter S. Thompson, go back and watch what a unique show should be.
Yeah Letterman is getting older but Ferguson is very funny unlike Kimmel which is atrocious border line tabloid crap.

Posted by Anonymous | January 13, 2010 3:09 AM

Show your support for Team Conan: http://www.cafepress.com/teamconangear

Posted by Anonymous | January 13, 2010 3:28 AM

Bring Chevy Chase back already.

Posted by Anonymous | January 13, 2010 8:56 AM

Late Night TV hasn't been the same since Magic Johnson got taken off the air

Posted by Anonymous | January 13, 2010 9:02 AM

heard vampire weekend do some killer texas is the reason covers

Posted by Anonymous | January 13, 2010 9:58 AM

Seriously. Magic would own all these fools.

Posted by Anonymous | January 13, 2010 10:21 AM

Conan just needs to do a weekly half hour of Conando for Telemundo! That would be best I think!

Posted by Anonymous | January 13, 2010 12:42 PM

Aziz is awesome! It's pretty cool that he got to be on Conan to promote his new special. If you haven't seen it yet, you should definitely go check it out.

Posted by Geena | January 26, 2010 3:50 PM

Aziz's section of this show was perfect. R. Kelly, the sheets, etc. never gets old. I hope he tours and comes to my town!

Posted by Lee | January 26, 2010 10:56 PM

FUCK Leno! Conan is the man. that interview with Aziz is hilarious too, I'm going to have to check out his new stand up.

Posted by Taylor Johnson | January 27, 2010 9:01 PM

I love Aziz I agree the interview was great. Everyone really needs to check out his new standup. The Dvd is hilarious!

Posted by kimberlyL | January 28, 2010 1:45 AM

Aziz is so funny. His new dvd is hilarious. Definitely one of my favorite comedians right now.

Posted by KatieLynn | January 28, 2010 8:10 PM

I already miss Conan

And I love Aziz. Seriously who else can make jokes about linens and actually have them be funny

Posted by Hayley | January 29, 2010 12:24 AM

Aziz is awesome and he is a very unique commedian. I found this link that has some info about his new cd/album out and this album is also just as hilarious/if not more.

Posted by Shanti Chu | January 29, 2010 2:14 AM

After seeing Aziz on Conan, I was an instant fan! Picked up his CD last week and can't stop listening to it, he's so funny!

Posted by Sara L. | January 29, 2010 11:15 AM

I'm just a huge fan of Aziz, his work is incredible!

Posted by Andrew Galvan | January 29, 2010 11:42 AM

Go Aziz! I can't stop watching his new DVD! It's amazing. I found a link to it, so everyone should check it out- http://cli.gs/NpjqgA

Posted by Nat d | January 29, 2010 2:57 PM

got my tickets to see Aziz at Comix next week. They just added an 8th show (7:30 on Wed)... if you want to see him you should act NOW... will sell out today or tomorrow.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2010 3:08 PM

What the hell? I would guess that the last few comments are spam bots but since there are no link, I'm afraid its the work of some hilariously clueless pr intern.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2010 3:13 PM

Miss Conan:-( Love Aziz:-)

Posted by Amanda | February 4, 2010 11:55 PM

Waouw...

Posted by active | March 4, 2010 2:31 PM

I'm just a huge fan of Aziz. I just love his works very much. Really his work is incredible!

Posted by Free Games | March 8, 2010 12:21 AM

These videos are great! the performers are really good. Thanks for the blog.

Posted by Mark Lewis | September 17, 2010 7:53 PM

patti smith announced her nye shows

Posted by شات كتابي | October 1, 2010 3:27 PM

patti smith announced her nye shows

Posted by شات | November 12, 2010 11:12 AM

Oh, and what about those question marks on Sunday's text in the concert poster below? No, that isn't saving a spot for a Smiths reunion or U2 debut on the Coachella stage, it's the way that Yorke presents himself as a solo star, the marquee at his Orpheum concert had the same punctuational flourish.

Posted by منتديات | January 12, 2011 3:43 PM

Suppose to be gone. Leno is creepy with his young girl guests always. Take your 50 million and go Jay after you pissed off local news stations and everyone else .

Posted by منتديات | February 22, 2011 3:05 PM