Posted in music | tour dates on February 23, 2010

All Points West 2009 (more by Tim Griffin)
All Points WesT

Executives at AEG Live, the promoter of All Points West, say they have not yet decided whether it will return for a third year.

"There is no question that our biggest challenge is finding suitable headliners, and it has been more challenging this year than in the past," said Mark Shulman, a veteran talent buyer for AEG. "No final determination of any kind has been made for 2010."

But many in the music industry doubt whether All Points West, which has been held in August, will return this summer. A number of prominent booking agents and other executives, most of whom requested anonymity because they did not want to jeopardize business with AEG, said that nothing had been booked and that it would be very difficult for AEG to put a lineup together this late in the year, since most artists' plans for the summer were already set.
[NY Times] (thx Hiro)

good. apw blew nuts anyway. just have radiohead play two nights in the summer. thatd be tits again.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2010 10:46 PM

That seriously BLOWS. I was really looking forward to it again this year.

Posted by Lucia | February 23, 2010 10:55 PM

2 more nights of radiohead would be great with me

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2010 10:57 PM

:-(((((((((((

10:57, i would weep for joy, no joke

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2010 11:02 PM

Wow this really sucks, I went to the first APW and it was great seeing Radiohead at a festival that wasn't too too big, and I was planning on going this year if they had one. There are no festivals even close to the metro area and it sucks that this likely won't happen. Whatever happened to the proposed Vineland Music Festival by the way

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2010 11:11 PM

Other than the obvious problems and the fact that they probably lost tons o money, the 1st year was pretty cool. In light crowds I saw Animal Collective, Radiohead, Girl Talk, Grizzly Bear, Kings of Leon, Chromeo, Andrew Bird, Underworld, Cat Power...that's a pretty stacked bill! Too bad they couldn't figure out how to make it work so it lived up to its potential.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2010 11:11 PM

sucks, would've loved to have it another year

Posted by Slob | February 23, 2010 11:14 PM

APW could get John Locke...if he wasnt the smoke monster

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2010 11:15 PM

APW NEEDS TO COME BACK. i didn't go to the first one, but last year's festival was great. and yeah man, there's nothing else nearby, us NEW YORKERS NEED SOME MUSIC.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2010 11:19 PM

first year had great music. I dont get not being able to find "suitable headliners". other great festivals are not having problems getting great headliners ie: Sasquatch and ATP...

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2010 11:25 PM

I was hoping for three APW headliners this year to be Portishead (Friday)/the Arcade Fire (Saturday)/the Strokes (Sunday).

They should bring back Field Day Festival...the line-up for that festival was ridiculous.

Posted by Jonny Greenwood is the man | February 23, 2010 11:25 PM

Nooooo! Come back, you can do it!

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2010 11:49 PM

Or Portishead (Friday)/Daft Punk (Saturday)/the Strokes (Sunday)

Now please book these artists Goldenvoice!

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2010 11:52 PM

APW last year was awesome. Even though the rain was a disaster, it was still a fun fest for everyone and they had an outstanding lineup. Please PLEASE PLEASE!!!! One more year. Arcade Fire / Strokes PLEASE.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2010 11:53 PM

its too much fucking fun. fuck them. fuck.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2010 11:57 PM

^ i think you ment to say its too much fucking money. fuck them. fuck.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2010 11:58 PM

just give me east coast sasquatch

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 12:03 AM

Good Fucking Riddance

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 12:04 AM

^^
no more field days. dont remind me of that disaster...

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 12:08 AM

all you do is bash it when it happens, and miss it when it doesnt.

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 12:14 AM

ALL POINTS MEH!

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 12:15 AM

shitty festival. go to all tomorrows parties instead.

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 12:28 AM

chuckeling to myself recalling the comment a few weeks back that said, "No truth to APW being cancelled this year". Ha. APW looks great on paper but was a mess of a festival. Beer tents and limited number of drinks? Poor bathroom setups.... lines lines lines.... Is there any truth to a bowery presents festival or a camping festival upstate? I can't figure out why no one has figured out a way to have a festival in Central Park (ala Lolla in the park in Chicago)

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 12:48 AM

Bleh, this sucks. I had a blast at APW last year despite setbacks =/

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 12:54 AM

THIS IS OLD NEWS. It was the buzz online several days ago.

Posted by John | February 24, 2010 1:29 AM

Hi! This is the one blog which I visit from last two weeks and I really like this and it helps me a lot so stay tune with us and keep post continue.Thanks a lot for sharing.keep blogging.

Posted by Outdoor Equipment | February 24, 2010 1:31 AM

"us NEW YORKERS NEED SOME MUSIC"

theres like hundreds of shows EVERY NIGHT in new york, we certainly don't NEED a big fest

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 1:33 AM

the best part was the rain and mud.

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 1:36 AM

Btw....it's kinda funny how nobody is smiling in the photo. Unusual for a festival.

Posted by John | February 24, 2010 1:41 AM

i think the asian guy on the right is smiling. also, the brown guy in the middle might be smiling. visual evidence is inconclusive.

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 1:50 AM

Siren Fest it is

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 2:02 AM

This is the hot topic now-a-days that West will return this year or not. People waiting for them.

Posted by personal trainer | February 24, 2010 2:08 AM

sry NY. i'll be kicking it w/ a honker's ale @ p4k. still under $100. :)

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 2:19 AM

^ this festival wasn't specifically directed at you anomalous new yorkers who get to see everyone. it was for music fans all over the east coast who get Coachella, Lollapalooza, and Bonnaroo dangled in our faces every year and who wanted to get our own FESTIVAL experience, i.e. diversity, value and the outdoors. as someone who attended APW the first 2 years, i really think it delivered on all those fronts in a cool and unique fashion.

last year on friday i saw Shearwater, Ra Ra Riot, Fleet Foxes, Organized Konfusion, Vamp Wknd, The YYY's, Q-Tip, Jay-Z and MSTKRFT for a little over $100 and with Manhattan in the backdrop. it was INCREDIBLE. (the positives outweighed the negatives with that freakish mud IMO, what with the sparse crowds and free passes)

i really hope that this comes back in future or that some other east coast festival takes it place to fill the void that definitely does exist. ATP sounds crazy, but i'm away at college in fall. they need to move shi* up to august.

Posted by Cameron | February 24, 2010 2:20 AM

I loved APW. I know there are a million shows in ny but this is a different experience. I would have gone this year even if I know it was gonna rain again.

Posted by Andy | February 24, 2010 8:09 AM

quick! someone form a facebook group to protest this! that'll learn 'em!

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 8:18 AM

F*** YOU NY!!!! SERIOUSLY F*** YOU!!!!!

You holier-than-thou a-holes who stand still during EVERY F***ING concert! Too cool to move around and show any sort of emotion or reaction to the music you paid to see. Festivals are meant for dancing around and having a good laid back time with the other attendees.

You can dispute this all you want, have fun. Bottom line is that you STILL have NO legit festivals! So keep doing what you're doing and STFU you whining bunch of sissies!

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 8:54 AM

8:54...nah, it's just too easy. Next comment

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 9:30 AM

get a(U) life.

when you're all adults these festivals will mean so much less to you.

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 9:36 AM

@ 8:54

So true! Trust fund hipsters can't appreciate sh!t...can only complain!

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 9:37 AM

I'm over it. Too many tales of the various nuisances around this festival (getting to/from, beer limits, etc) kept me away from it the past two years and frankly I don't those are things they'd ever figure out. It's about time we started paying attention to how the Europeans throw festivals and putting that into action.

Posted by Funderburgh | February 24, 2010 9:47 AM

@ 8:54 ... seriously... I was enjoying myself, but I had a couple of pot cookies that were stronger than I thought. I get quiet when I'm that high sometimes ...hard for me to dance.

New York is a great place with lots of interesting, down to earth people

Don't let a few misguided souls fuck with your insecurities. I bet you're plenty cool in your own way and there's no need to point fingers at others to prove that.

Posted by Burg | February 24, 2010 9:55 AM

Anyone have a parking lot in Jersey where I can throw a festival 1000X better than APW?

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 9:57 AM

APW was a lot of fun last year. But the people who said we get all of the bands anyway were right. Looking over the Coachella lineup, I already saw 80% of the bands I'd want to see there in the past 2 years anyway.

That said, it would be better if they brought APW back than not.

Posted by GW | February 24, 2010 9:57 AM

maybe APW sucks but as a new yorker, I'm so sick of hearing about all these great festivals that are at least 1500 miles away. was hoping we could get something, and maybe they'd get it right this year. aw well. that shit's too fucking expensive anyway.

Posted by iamtheangel.com | February 24, 2010 9:57 AM

Posted by Venkman | February 24, 2010 10:04 AM

NYC is a year-long music festival

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 10:37 AM

lame but not surprised. my guess is that they lost money the past two years and don't want to loose money again. The can't get bands comment is a bunch of BS there are several festival in the US that have great lineup's this year. Sounds to me they don't want to pay the bands as much as the other festivals. Take a look at the last two APW compared to Boonaroo and Coachella. Those festivals have much better lineups every year.

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 10:45 AM

"New York gets nothing and Washington (state) gets the best festival of the summer. Go figure."

The venue at the Gorge in WA is stunningly beautiful. Jersey City is is a filthy disgrace to landscapes everywhere!

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 10:53 AM

File this under "'No Shit' News."

Posted by M | February 24, 2010 11:03 AM

1214am and 1037am, exactly.

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 11:05 AM

Festivals... please.... NYC has Summerstage, Prospect Park Concert Series, Sirens, Pool Parties, South Street Seaport, and much more than I can keep track of.... And ALL FOR FREE!!!! What else do you need? I'd rather what we have year round in NYC than being bumped around by a bunch of tripped out, sweaty, pimply, muddy fools doing the white man dance in the middle of the fucking desert..... Fucking hippies....

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 11:48 AM

NY has more & better music on a weekly basis than most of these backwoods states & cities & towns see all year long. Let 'em have their festivals, which are the best (and only) thing that will happen to them all year long (perhaps all life long).

As soon as Boise or Murdo or Tuscaloosa starts seeing performances from Karen O at 75-person capacity venues like Union Pool, or Kyp Malone or Holly Miranda for free at places like Zebulon, or the National for free at record stores like Sound Fix, then I'll start to get jealous. Otherwise, I couldn't care less if my life depended on it.

Fact: NY > Everywhere else, festivals or no festivals.

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 12:10 PM

I love to have all the Summerstage, Prospect Park Concert Series, Sirens, Pool Parties, South Street Seaport AND APW, as a concert goer I can be pretty greedy.

As the lineup excuse I really don't buy it. This is a festival that since day one is struggling with organizations issues.

I mean, think about that: They have Bestie Boys headlining that cancel due illness, and they got another headline in a few weeks, so now they they have a whole year and can't book a couple of bands to headline a Festival in NYC!?!?

Yeah, right..

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 12:18 PM

New York's alright...if you like saxophones.

Posted by L. Ving | February 24, 2010 1:11 PM

unless they can bring Radiohead and Daft Punk this year they truly should not bother

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 1:30 PM

Weren't we having this same exact discussion a year ago, and then boom, it all worked out? Maybe this is a tease to lower expectations or generate buzz or push people who are on the fence to commit.

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 1:46 PM

four words can fix all of this:

Three nights of Phish

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 2:16 PM

all they need for success is a pair of solid headliners, the first year was just a radiohead show with better than usual openers, I really hate having no good festival within a less than 12 hour drive

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 3:10 PM

wahh! I only get 365 days of awesome music a year. I want more!!!

Posted by typical BV hipster | February 24, 2010 3:30 PM

"Jersey City is is a filthy disgrace to landscapes everywhere!"

A gorgeous park with views of the skyline of Manhattan and the statue of liberty is a filthy disgrace to landscapes everywhere?

Err, what?

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 4:56 PM

I got two words for you ... THISCONCERTMAYOR MAYNOTBECANCELLED

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 5:02 PM

Good riddance. That was the worst festival I've ever been to. Only Radiohead made it worth while to take that ridiculous journey.

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 5:03 PM

four words can fix all of this:
Three nights of Phish

^^^ philly nitrous mafia would probably help sponsor this.

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 7:04 PM

I doubt that this wont happen because of finding a couple of headliners. And if that's really the case, so they are attesting to be complete unprofessionals , I mean, isn't their job to book bands? Aren't they receiving a shit load of money to do that?? And after a whole year they weren't able to book a couple of headliners? What the fuck they were doing? Playing Golf??

I guess people still don't realize thats the showbizz (bad) joke of the year!

Please give me some millions and a year and I'll book 3 headliners!

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2010 8:30 PM

hey 8:30
i dont think you receive a lot of money to book bands...you spend a lot of money booking and try to recoup in ticket sales, merch, booze.
When every fest has the same headliners, who fucking cares anyway?
Not to mention the insane amount of money they lost last year. (you would know if you actually went.) someone had to re-sod that park and i'm pretty sure it wasn't jersey city.
thats showbiz and you wouldnt book shit except a bunch of indie acts that dont draw more then a 1000 people outside brooklyn and spend the rest on blow...STFU.

Posted by Anonymous | February 25, 2010 12:36 AM

here are some headliner choices:

arcade fire
the strokes
daft punk
rage against the machine

go book 'em!

Posted by Anonymous | February 25, 2010 12:44 AM

It's certainly worthy of rejoicing when a decent NYC outdoor festival gets shut down. Good job, dumbshit anonymous BV comments section.

Posted by Drake L'Ballz | February 25, 2010 12:53 AM

there's actually a better party than APW.....it's in my pants....and everyone's invited!!! hahahhahahhahahhahahhahahhah!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | February 25, 2010 9:15 AM

12:44
I would book this bands if that was my job. I'm sure if you work you do what you expect to do, whatever it is. If you don you get fired, thats simple. So if your job is book bands and make it a festival work, well, you do it.

12:36
If you make it a killer festival you will make money, is that simple. I went in the first year, and for more that i loved seen Radiohead the festival sucked (line to get beers, hidden place to drink beer, a suffering to get back home...) so yeah I did not came back last year to APW. As I will came back for Lollapalooza.

Posted by Anonymous | February 25, 2010 10:35 AM

T_T Seriously if APW isn't gonna happen anymore i might cry. It's the only "indie" music festival NE and i'm only 15 so i obviously can't drive to Coachella and Bonnaroo sucks ass. APW was so fun the last two years and i really hope they bring it back and even if they don't this year at least next year.

Posted by LittleGarcon | February 25, 2010 2:44 PM

Noooooooo!!! This has been my summer ritual the last two years. WTF! One of the best festivals in the late summer.

Posted by njwhokid | June 20, 2010 8:03 PM

my amaznig sounds, amazing weekend.
Check out IMPROPEROPERA's full coverage of the weekends best synth rock/pop

fondly,
lady danger for IMPROPER OPERA

chat

Posted by دردشه | October 3, 2010 7:59 PM

Man, I absolutely loved reading your blogpost. You have convinced me to subscribe to your blog, but where can I find the RSS feed?

Posted by jocuri | August 31, 2012 8:49 AM