Posted in hiphop | music on February 2, 2010

by BBG

Is Def Jux waving goodbye? (more by Ryan Muir)
El-P

Is one of the great and pioneering labels in hip hop hanging up their shell toes? According to numerous tweets by artists and reports around the interwebs, Def Jux Records may be folding. The story originated with Shabooty, who aggregated the info and asked honcho El-P for comment. An official statement is on the way.

Over the years Def Jux has been resposible for incredible releases from the likes of El-P, Cannibal Ox, Aesop Rock, RJD2, MURS, Cage, and many many others.

UPDATE:
El-P tells what's up.

Tags: Def Jux

fantastic damage is one of the most underrated albums in music...let alone 'indie hip hop'...im not a huge hip hop fan but el-p did a great thing here.

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2010 2:33 PM

A total shame to see this but maybe if the artists on Def Jux were more prolific, this wouldn't have happened. If El-P and Ace Rock came out with new albums every year, I'm sure people would be all over it!

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2010 2:36 PM

well, this is a shame, but no surprise. the folks running this thing played by their own rules and that never really works when applied to the real world.

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2010 2:50 PM

shame if it's true

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2010 3:26 PM

fantastic damage is freakin incredible.

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2010 3:37 PM

Sooooo much good stuff to come from Def Jux besides the stuff already listed

Murs!Cool Calm Pete! Junk Science

Sad times for hip hop

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2010 3:43 PM

It's a shame, but I've always heard that El-P is a pretty good businessman, so maybe he's just cutting it off before it becomes a losing proposition.

Shit, Rhymesayers (at this point), is basically just a blackhole for half of Atmosphere's tour money. I hope they continue to spend it on projects like Freeway's new disc, but I can't imagine that (economically speaking), it's successful.

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2010 3:51 PM

If El-P came out with an album more than once a decade, maybe they'd be able to make some freaking money.

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2010 4:17 PM

The quality and quantity of ( pretty damn good ) music released has nothing to do with it.

The music industry model of the past is dead and is never coming back.

I miss Can Ox.

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2010 7:25 PM

Love Jux and am proud to have worked with them late, late in the game. If this means more music from El, then change isn't a bad thing.

Posted by NIGHTGOAT | February 2, 2010 11:26 PM

word to Fantastic Damage. kills all

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2010 9:32 AM

Posted by يوتيوب | December 22, 2010 10:03 PM

Posted by Loan | December 22, 2010 10:03 PM

Guggenheim billed it as a performance piece and it was just an installation. Resultingly, the crowd simply waited for the "show" to start, limiting anyone's ability to freely explore the space (the ground floor was packed with indian-style seaters, and the balconies were lined with people holding onto their spots like grim death.

Posted by منتديات | January 9, 2011 1:41 PM

Hey ya'll we lost another one.......but I'm glad to have grown up with gangstarr as representatives of this music that has an incredible history.....hip hop is a book that wrote itself and GURU was definetly one of its main characters.....we are all getting older.....and GURU is one of the MCs that added a soundtrack to our lives in the 80's and 90's.......the NAMES,PLACES and FACES come to mind when I hear a GANGSTARR track.........I thank GOD that he allowed GURU to shine in his short time...........REST IN EVERLASTING PEACE GURU

Posted by تسريحات شعر | January 20, 2011 6:42 AM

Wonderful post and the location is beautiful and elegant in design and information and everything>>> to Favorites

===================

Posted by Elkema | February 10, 2011 7:48 AM

i was at highline and not williamsburg and the set list posted here seems to fit though I thought they only played 3 songs in the encore (definetely slush and take it in were two of them) though i could be wrong.

Posted by Girls Games | December 4, 2011 3:30 PM