Posted in music | pictures on February 9, 2010

words by BBG, photos by Paul Birman

Kayo Dot

Toby Driver kicked off the first Saturday (2/6) of his month as curator at The Stone by inviting his own band, Kayo Dot, to play a pair of sets, both full album shows. The 8PM sett featured Choirs Of The Eye while the later show was their new baby, Coyote. Greg Massi (Baliset) was part of the band and reports:

I am choosing to talk about this because it had a profound effect on me. It was inpsiring to say the least. I got to hear the new KD album in full performed live and during the performance I had visions of creativity and sparks flying into my brain to help me write for the next Baliset album.

And it also was weird because i felt alot like Captain Jack Harkness at the end of Doctor Who season 3. You are teased into believing that he might rejoin the Doctor for adventures but in the end he tells the Doctor that he has his own team now and they need him and that summed up my feelings on Baliset. They are my team now and I feel more comfortable musically with them than anyone else I have ever played with and while it was fun living the fantasy life of being in Kayo Dot complete with a sold out crowd and exhuberant fans shaking your hand and making you feel larger than life, I missed my team.

I am happy with the success we have built for ourselves and if i took one thing away from this whole experience, it is that it gave me a focus point in my head for the next album.

But Toby and the rest of KD know they can call on me for help at any time and as a friend I will help them with whatever they need but as I return to my life of anonymity once again, I do get excited for working on where Baliset my new team is going.

The month at The Stone continues with Gnaw, Steeve Hurdle (Gorguts) this weekend, with appearances by Kevin Hufnagel (Dysrhythmia), Yoshiko Ohara (Bloody Panda), and Thrones into the week.

The Thrones date at The Stone happens one day after a newly announced show with Thrones and Carla Bozulich at Ash's Place (on 2/18 at N4th and Wythe).

More pics from the The Stone are below...

Kayo Dot

is the drummer the fat kid from Superbad?

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2010 4:24 PM

^
Are you your mother's living aborted fetus?

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2010 4:33 PM

i heard the fat kid from superbad was in kayo dot, is this true?

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2010 4:34 PM

Yeah! Someone told me that too! Im pretty sure it was him.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2010 4:35 PM

MEHyo Dot

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2010 4:55 PM

fucking choirs of the eye was sold out

fuck the stone

Posted by anon | February 9, 2010 5:55 PM

^^
then you should've shown up earlier. How is your laziness somehow the Stone's fault, dumbass?

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2010 6:27 PM

That fat kid your talking about is playing in a good band and probably gets laid more than you.what the fuck are you doing with your life?

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2010 7:33 PM

^^getting through middle school. that would be my guess..

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2010 9:23 PM

BeeMehGee

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2010 9:46 PM

That "fat kid" is an incredible drummer who killed it that night and is an all around good dude. Man I hate the internets.

Posted by Ron | February 9, 2010 10:21 PM

what's the french word for "spam"? traite jambon?

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2010 7:18 AM

This is the stupidest thing I have read in eons. How many of you have even heard Kayo Dot, or their drummer? They're both incredible and are truly trying some things that have never been done in music before. My lord, just go get a lobotomy and listen to Battles...

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2010 8:52 AM

Whoa whoa whoa, what's wrong with Battles?... Also, insanely jealous of anyone in attendance for either set. Every time I listen to COTE, my hair stands on end. In a live atmosphere? I'm sure there was magic in the air....I anxiously await the release of "Coyote".

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2010 11:06 AM

There is nothing wrong with Battles and there is nothing wrong with Kayo Dot. I love when people feel the need to prop up one band and put down another. It just makes you look like a moron. Battles are a highly creative band. Maybe if you said Britney Spears I'd get where you were coming from, but not a band who writes their own, good, unique music. Grow the fuck up.

I love Kayo Dot.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 7:30 PM

Posted by يوتيوب | December 23, 2010 12:21 AM

Guggenheim billed it as a performance piece and it was just an installation. Resultingly, the crowd simply waited for the "show" to start, limiting anyone's ability to freely explore the space (the ground floor was packed with indian-style seaters, and the balconies were lined with people holding onto their spots like grim death.

Posted by منتديات | January 9, 2011 1:41 PM

Hey ya'll we lost another one.......but I'm glad to have grown up with gangstarr as representatives of this music that has an incredible history.....hip hop is a book that wrote itself and GURU was definetly one of its main characters.....we are all getting older.....and GURU is one of the MCs that added a soundtrack to our lives in the 80's and 90's.......the NAMES,PLACES and FACES come to mind when I hear a GANGSTARR track.........I thank GOD that he allowed GURU to shine in his short time...........REST IN EVERLASTING PEACE GURU

Posted by تسريحات شعر | January 20, 2011 6:43 AM

Wonderful post and the location is beautiful and elegant in design and information and everything>>> to Favorites
Amazing is an enormous understatement. One of the best electronic shows I've ever been to and I've seen well over a thousand concerts. I had no idea Vladislav Delay was as good a drummer & percussionist as he is- fabulous and he kept everything swinging with a very unique style of playing. If you missed this you missed out big time...
===================