Posted in music | pictures on February 16, 2010

photos by Jessica Amaya

"Show in Williamsburg was AMAZING last night. Thank you to everyone who came out. EPIC show. 2 hours and 25 minutes. WOW! ha." - Tegan & Sara

Tegan and Sara

Tegan and Sara played a stripped down post-Valentine's Day show last night (2/15) at MHOW in support of "Sainthood." They played some older tunes and took audience requests. According to the performers, set highlights were "Divided, This Is Everything, Light Up, Monday Monday Monday, Not Tonight, When I get Up, You wouldn't Like Me." Tegan & Sara also said, "Thanks to all the fans who stood outside all day in the cold. Thank you for the Light Up Cake and Blistex as well! Ha." The show was seated, but Jessica points out that "people were anxious to stand which they did for the last song." Hopefully everyone got their $75 (the price of tickets to this one-off show) worth.

Tegan and Sara, who were just announced on the lineup of this year's Sasquatch Fest are now on tour with Holly Miranda (who played her own show at Other Music last night). More pictures from MHOW below...

Tegan and Sara

$75 and waiting outside in the cold? Lesbians have too much money AND time on their hands, apparently.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 2:06 PM

yes lesbians are great with their hands
finger bang

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 2:16 PM

how could this have been $75? did tegan and sara address this/ know about this?

how much money did they make? 75 x 500? $37,500? they probably took like 30K for themselves? wow.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 2:18 PM

I wasn't there but I'm going to say something negative about this show anyway.

Posted by midwestern hipster | February 16, 2010 2:18 PM

It also sure was nice of them to praise the length of their own show. Glad to know they were impressed with themselves. 2 and a half hours of this band would not get the same response from me.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 2:19 PM

I've read a few blog posts (from fans, natch) stating that "they needed to charge $75 per ticket" in order to cover the cost of having less tickets sold due to it being a seated show.

Let's see:

Typical MHOW show, 550 tickets @ $20 per ticket (on average).

This show was 300 tickets @ $75 per ticket.

If they doubled the average MHOW ticket price (to account for having roughly half as many tickets) the tickets would have cost $40 each. But the tickets were almost twice that, or 4x the cost of an average MHOW ticket.

Just admit it: You were just taken advantage of. They greedily played their fan base for suckers because they knew they could. Stop trying to justify it.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 2:30 PM

haha holy shitballs, $75 a ticket? i just paid about $68 to see furthur and i got 2 sets of music, a hit of acid, 3 joints of fukcing DANK, nitrous outside in the lot and an overall damn good time....fuck THIS shit...nice hairdonts by the way too.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 2:51 PM

I want to be ^ that guy's friend

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 3:04 PM

2:51 is god

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 3:31 PM

loving the hate; this was a rip-off show for suckers

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 3:56 PM

re: $75

Gretsches aren't cheap. They gotta pay for that gear somehow.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 4:01 PM

2 hours of that was rambling.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 4:08 PM

They have big, shiny tour buses. One for Tegan and another for Sara. The buses took up all of North 5th street between Berry and Wythe. The $75 ticket charge must go toward keeping those tour buses warm and toasty.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 4:37 PM

did they do their spoken word, "my little anecdotes" set - or actually play music?

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 4:38 PM

$75 for pearl jam I do on a regular basis... but for T and S ill stick to the big terminal 5 shows for 25 bucks.

Posted by perry | February 16, 2010 5:13 PM

Show in Philly tonight. Also a seated show. Tickets: $35.

Posted by MPH | February 16, 2010 5:14 PM

^
NY got pwn3d.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 5:26 PM

Bands don't walk out of a venue with every dollar made on a ticket. Don't you listen to NPR? They'd be lucky to walk with half.

I sincerely doubt that this band was out to soak fans. They've been touring since the 90's. I saw them play tt the bears in boston in 2000. Let em have their success, they earned it.

Btw, I saw them play at town hall in october and the the "my little anecdotes" part of their set is a skill that most bands would die to have. They had my wife and I rolling in the isle.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 5:48 PM

Took my girlfriend to the MHOW show yesterday. She's a bigger fan than me but I thought it was worth every penny. It's not just that it was an intimate seated show, it was that they played a lot of rarities that they haven't played in over 5 years. My girlfriend said they even busted out a song that they had never played live anywhere. For Tegan and Sara fans, this setlist was worth it. For casual fans who would rather see them at T5, it probably wasn't and they probably didn't go to this show. The people paying $35 at other shows aren't getting this setlist.

And the "little anecdotes" were absolutely hilarious and probably the highlight of the show.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 6:16 PM

3:56

the hate is coming from people who didn't attend. I doubt anybody who did attend would have anything negative to say about the show. Far from it.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 6:19 PM

i was there. great fucking show. didn't feel like I got "pwn3d" at all. more than worth it for me.

Posted by anthony | February 16, 2010 6:26 PM

I was one of the "crazy lesbians" that waited about an hour before doors. I consider myself a HUGE Tegan and Sara fan, and I've seen them about 10 times before throughout the years, but WOW, as good as this setlist was (and it was good, I admit), I am still appalled at the $90 tickets ($75 plus fees/etc.) I've seen people put on amazing, long, hilarious shows for 1/3 of this show, where they still play rare songs, intimate venues, and consider it "fans-only". Nine Inch Nails at the Bowery comes to mind, a ticket that cost $50, but was obviously worth it. Throbbing Gristle, a band that NEVER plays the US anymore, played the Masonic Temple, and it was only $25 for a super great setlist and "intimacy". I love Tegan and Sara, and I think they're incredibly talented, but Not Tonight and When I Get Up aren't worth $75. I don't know that I'd do this again...

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 8:01 PM

^
written by a dude who wasn't at the show.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 8:24 PM

8:01 - Did you even go to the show? You mention Not Tonight and When I Get up, but those weren't really the rarest of the songs that were played. The rare songs were This Is Everything and Divided from their 1999 album. As was Light Up which is a b-side that they have never played live before and they only played because someone requested it.

Posted by Anonymous | February 16, 2010 9:14 PM

Yes, it is expensive. But clearly they have a sufficient fan base who are willing to pay that much. I saw them in january, not sure if i could afford 75 but they are highly entertaining and talented women. And nope, i'm not a lesbian!

Posted by babs | February 16, 2010 10:54 PM

supply and demand

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2010 2:26 AM

Whyyyyy, do people read the articles on here, look at the pictures, and then post negative comments when they weren't at the show(s)?? In my opinion THOSE are the people who have too much time on their hands. I went to this show and it was worth every penny to listen to them talk and play older and newer acoustic style songs. Real fans don't care about the money or waiting outside.

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2010 10:24 AM

i'm sure there are plenty of "real fans" who couldn't justify $75 per ticket.

judging how authentic or cool you are based on your bank account is about as gauche as douchebag bankers who drive BMWs.

and thus we've come full circle...hipster indie kids admitting that they're no different than the yuppies they rebel against. finally, some honesty!

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2010 10:37 AM

I would have paid $100 for it. It sounds like it was a wonderful show. However, sadly I live in Indiana and not on the east coast.

Posted by Abby | February 17, 2010 10:42 AM

10:42 - if you were a "real fan" by 10:37's definition, you would've bought a ticket and flown out here. I guess you're not a real fan.

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2010 10:46 AM

Oh geez, I didnt know the tickets were $90 with tax, or, regardless, $75 at any rate.
im a gigantic TS fan, no one who knows me remotely could argue that, im a bit trademarked for it. i only get annoyed when musicians feel, like you said, that they can charge obscene amounts of money and i just dont like that even thicker barrier it seems like begins to be created, potentially mostly sad that ts are getting bigger. though granted, this was an extremely special show and i do as a big fan appreciate the opportunity to have a show with limited number of seating so everyone in there truly is a great supporter, and i guess paying big bucks may help to ensure that everyone there truly cares about that music and is not just going to a show for the sake of it. basically, i think charging $75 is a lot, i understand however that it probably was not tegan and sara specifically who chose the amount, and there is a lot of people to divide that money between. i think the show length is great and the acoustic songs, and the fact that they made sure to do a bunch of rare ones, and banter, knowing thats what the superfans may want. in conclusion, i would pay $75 to see them at this kind of show, but i wouldnt travel extensively on top of that

Posted by Anonymous | February 18, 2010 2:17 PM

I didn't know you could write a thesis on "Why I didn't got to the Tegan and Sara concert in Brooklyn."

C+

Posted by Anonymous | February 18, 2010 2:33 PM

Posted by يوتيوب | December 31, 2010 4:05 PM

Wonderful post and the location is beautiful and elegant in design and information and everything>>> to Favorites
Amazing is an enormous understatement. One of the best electronic shows I've ever been to and I've seen well over a thousand concerts. I had no idea Vladislav Delay was as good a drummer & percussionist as he is- fabulous and he kept everything swinging with a very unique style of playing. If you missed this you missed out big time...
===================

Posted by يوتيوب القمة | February 20, 2011 8:39 PM

i was at highline and not williamsburg and the set list posted here seems to fit though I thought they only played 3 songs in the encore (definetely slush and take it in were two of them) though i could be wrong.

Posted by Girls Games | December 4, 2011 3:11 PM