Trail of Dead @ SXSW 2009 (more by BBG)
tonight in NYC
* Furthur @ Radio City Music Hall
* Winter Antifolk Fest @ Sidewalk Cafe
* Bang on a Can All-Stars @ Merkin Concert Hall
* Jupiter One, The Bloodsugars @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Bill Frisell/Ron Carter/Paul Motian @ Blue Note
* Loren Connors, Alan Licht, Lee Ranaldo @ Issue Project Room
* Electric Tickle Machine, Hooray For Earth, The Creeeps @ Cake Shop
* The Subjects, Arms, Uninhabitable Mansions, Frances @ The Bell House
* Rocky Votolato, Golden Bloom, Peasant, Thieving Irons @ Mercury Lounge
* Midnight Masses, And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead @ Union Pool
* Chico Mann, Boogaloo Assassins, Bobbito Garcia,Turmix @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Curren$y, Stalley, Mikkey Halsted, Tiara Wiles, Rich Hil, Skotch Davis, Nero @ 92YTribeca
* Pure Horsehair, Daniel Carter/Justin Veloso/Shahzad Ismaily/C Hoffman, Little Women @ Zebulon
BoaC All-Stars play music by Nik Bartsch, Oscar Bettison, Christine Southworth & Dave Longstreth (who will be in attendance to introduce their work) at Merkin Hall tonight.
LPR celebrates the release of El Alcalde Del Barrio The Architect of the Nuyorican Sound, a new disc from Joe Cuba, the Latin boogaloo king, who passeed away last year. The free event has live sets from Chico Mann, The Boogaloo Assassins and spinning by DJ Bobbito Garcia and DJ Turmix. RSVP to email@example.com.
Brooklyn Bowl is hosting a benefit for Williamsburg Neighborhood Nursey School.
Americana and jazz tonight at at Zebulon from Pure Horsehair (the first) and Daniel Carter/Justin Veloso/Shahzad Ismaily/C Hoffman and Little Women (both the second).
Loren Connors and Alan Licht play together at Issue Project Room.
Into the Night Sky is the sixth album from avant guitarists Alan Licht and Loren Connors, the first after 2003's In France (FBWL). Since 1993 these New York City artists have evolved an instrumental dialogue merging shades of electric blues and minimalism. These two epic pieces -- one from 1996, the other 2006 -- recorded live in concert clearly show far their desolate sound world grew over a decade of collaboration while the core of layered guitar complexities and alien melodies remain. The atmosphere conjured by the Licht-Connors duo is unmistakable -- the ebb of eloquently shaped feedback -- while the harmonic patterns recall 20th century classical music.Lee Ranaldo opens.
RJD2's new video for "Let There Be Hours", below...
RJD2 - Let There Be Horns