Posted in metal | music | pictures on March 1, 2010

words by BBG, photos by Tod Seelie

Agnostic Front

World War 3 I tell ya. Agnostic Front played all of their seminal Victim in Pain with moments of United Blood and even "Gotta Go" for the new-ish schoolers at Bell House on Friday (2/26). Snowstorm be damned, it was a packed house, with a decent crowd for Ultraviolence by the time I arrived at the venue (missed Sexual Suicide), although for my money I wish I had gotten there after the following band, Urban Waste whose live show I couldn't get into despite liking their recorded output.

One of the risks you run by being an older band in a younger-skewing genre (punk, hardcore, hip hop, etc) is coming off like a nostalgia act. I have seen this happen with countless bands who don't have the energy to keep up with either the songs or the crowd (see previously mentioned bands). But for every rule there is an exception. Cro-Mags. The Jesus Lizard. De La Soul. Add Antidote and Agnostic Front to that list.

Antidote hit the stage a shade after 11PM and ripped it, playing songs from their great Thou Shalt Not Kill, as well as covers by Minor Threat ("I Don't Wanna Hear It", Filler") and Black Flag ("Rise Above"). Stage energy was met with equal crowd energy. The original matieral was furious, and covers breathed new life into those hardcore classics. Any other night, I would have been content with Antidote as a headliner.

I wish I had enough fingers and toes to count the number of times that guitarist Vinnie Stigma yelled "This is Hardcore!" during Agnostic Front's set. The vets blasted through a short, but sweet set of material that covered their early years, joined by a chorus of AF fans and Sab Grey of the legendary Iron Cross, who helped with AF's cover of "Crucified". As advertised, Stigma and vocalist Roger Miret were joined on stage by drummer Dave Jones (also Mental Abuse) and Rob Kabula for their set of Victim In Pain material, with bassist Adam Moochie and Dave Jones sitting in for the departed Raybeez for the United Blood material. Killer show, though I wish I wasnt showered in beer as much as I was that night, and I am sure Miret and some stage divers agree; too many people to count slipped and fell on that slippery stage.

Some video of Antidote and Agnostic Front, as well as a ton of pics are below...

Ultraviolence

Ultraviolence

Ultraviolence

Ultraviolence

Ultraviolence

Ultraviolence

Ultraviolence

Ultraviolence

Ultraviolence

Ultraviolence

Ultraviolence

Antidote @ Bell House, 26 Feb 2010

Agnostic Front @ Bell House, 26 Feb 2010

Stigma's awesome. One day they'll turn his guitar on. Hasn't played a note live in 10 plus years. Love it.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 4:30 PM

tod seelie!

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 4:36 PM

so awesome to see Antidote getting respect all these years later.

one of the most original NYC bands in the last 25 years, and they STILL bring it EVERY time.

Long Live the Nunz!!!

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 4:40 PM

i went to this and had a BLAST. ahhhh AF!

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 4:56 PM

From a playing perspective, Antidote really blew AF out of the water...Roger's vocals sounded super shitty and the bad was a bit of a mess in general.

The feeling in the room was palpable and the crowd ate it up(including me), but they definitely needed to rehearse more

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 5:02 PM

I thought Antidote stole the show but Af was amazing..AF Just got off of tour to do this one show. Dave Jones hasn't played with them since 1984..he's allowed to be a little sloppy..Adam Moochie hasn't been with them since 1983..
The show was awesome!!

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 5:23 PM

what a gayfest, roger, you fruit, rocking your own bands shirt, really? all the bands look horrible, band members ugly as f..., stigma's not awesome, he's def borderline retarded

Posted by fooksharpies | March 1, 2010 10:21 PM

i have to add one more thing, nobody cares about af no mo', they're done

Posted by fooksharpies | March 1, 2010 10:23 PM

another retard hiding behind a computer screen

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 10:26 PM

you talking about stigma i hope

Posted by fooksharpies | March 1, 2010 10:29 PM

1. DOES THE DUDE FROM ANTIDOTE ALSO PLAY WITH CHERRY POPPING DADDY"S? I THINK HE FORGOT TO CHANGE OUTFITS BETWEEN SETS.
2. SO MANY GOOD CAPTIONS COULD COME FROM THE PIC, FOUND IN THE URBAN WASTE SET, OF THE BIG BALD DUDE CROUCHED OVER.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2010 1:51 AM

Who is the borderline hot blond chick onstage most of the time? She's WAY into it! Sweet!

Posted by blackhat | March 2, 2010 8:27 AM

March 1, 2010 10:21 PM : Ahhh, to talk shit anonymously on the internet. How brave.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2010 9:20 AM

I miss Fugazi.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2010 10:43 AM

Blackhat, that's Stephanie Plungis and she will wipe the floor with anyone that gets in her way.

Posted by Bryan Swirsky | March 2, 2010 10:53 AM

@Bryan Swirsky - Awesome! There should be more girls in the pit!

Posted by blackhat | March 2, 2010 11:14 AM

Stigma was playing the other night. I agree, good to see Antidote get respect ...always loved them. Roger sounded fine and of course the band was a little sloppy, you asswipe, it's the Victim In Pain lineup. You obviously weren't around and have no idea what NY hardcore used to be about. Tell Vinnie he's a retard, you pussy. You can find him on Stanton St.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2010 12:11 PM

See the guy in the PBR t-shirt? Meh, typical Brooklyn hipsters. Nah, but seriously, AF show looked good, wish I made it.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2010 12:32 PM

Hey fooksharpies...

Guess a show sold out in advance must prove that no one cares about AF no mo'. Jackass!

Posted by Howie | March 2, 2010 12:36 PM

Who the F*ck are you I never seen you anywhere you dress like all the rest of them you look like them too........

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2010 1:19 PM

WENT TO THIS SHOW. DRANK TONS OF BEER. SLAMMED A BUNCH.

ALL THE BANDS WERE AWESOME:

UV, UW, ANTIDOTE, AF

IT'S RAW, IT'S SLOPPY, IT'S HARDCORE PUNK.

YOU WANT MUSICAL PERFECTION GO SEE RUSH OR YES.

AND TO ALL THE FUCKTARDS THAT TALK SHIT EVERY TIME A HARDCORE SHOW GETS REVIEWED ON HERE, JUST REMEMBER:

YOU WOULDN'T LAST 30 SECONDS UP FRONT YOU SUFFERING BITCHES.

~BALLANTYNE CRACKA

LOWERCASE IS FOR PUSSIES

Posted by BALLANTYNE CRACKA | March 2, 2010 8:06 PM

Yea that stephanie Plungass tard was at the knitting factory show a few months back. Kicked some girl that was on stage for no reason. She acted like she ruled the stage when I doubt she was even born when these bands were originally around. Oh the Urban outfitters punk generation, they have so much inner ager! So silly!

Posted by Mikey1 | March 3, 2010 2:13 AM

Saw them for the first time in Houston back in January. 'Twas a good time. My cousin turned me on to Victim In Pain (he had it on vinyl) back in the day, but I felt like I was 20 years too late to the show. Guess I'll have to go more often.

Posted by GlenW | March 3, 2010 11:09 AM

Whoever calls roger miret a tard for wearing his own shirt obviously has no idea what their talkin about i'm only 25 but as a massive AF fan I know the significance of this show and why shouldn't he be a fan he's a true hardcore legend.. go join your friends at the renaissance fair mate obviously way out of it if you are calling AF anything like past it

Posted by Tayaba Mirza | March 3, 2010 3:15 PM

Fooksharkey, you communist pink panda, it ain't about clothes you fashionista. Jeez talking about clothes people are wearing at a hardcore show??? and for the rest of you, if the sound is not sloppy, it's perfect, it's technical than it's heavy metal. This is real hardcore...raw, rough, ugly, and sloppy.

Posted by gmoney | March 3, 2010 6:27 PM

aw thanks for all the wonderful feed back, i'm stephanie PLUNGASS, and i didn't hit that broad for no reason she wails into mics like a fucking whale for no reason so she can try to fuck dudes in bands thinks "the oppressed nyc" were the opressed from the uk and sucker punched me at too many shows so i hit her. everything's fine now but she's not my favorite person. the show was awesome i thought.

Posted by STEPHANIE PLUNGIS | March 5, 2010 10:08 PM