Posted in metal | music | pictures on March 11, 2010

words by BBG, photos by Meghan McInnis

Jes of Coalesce forgets there is a stage for a brief moment
Coalesce

I loved Mr. Spiers's guitar sound: big and oily and slightly overdriven. I loved his stage presence: he is very, very calm, but not sullen. He played a powerful, warped, original blues called "Lay My Head Down." "I've been tired every day, every day of my life so far," he seethed. "But when that sun comes back around, that guillotine will lay my head down."

As a guitar player, he's learned from Jimmy Page, just as Mr. Spence has learned from John Bonham, laying way back in the groove and going hard on the bass drum. Both "Lay My Head Down" and the stop-time stomp "Shame" used the greatest parts of Led Zeppelin: not just the riffs and grooves, but also the sense of space. The bassist Stephen Tanner, making big, resonant notes like paving stones, enlarged that space.

And they burrowed into 17 years of music: new stuff, old stuff; thrashers, howlers, tender songs; short songs at a crawling tempo; long songs that needed their length; the Southern-boogie "Misery," mixing dumb riffs and strange ones, taking what you already know and melting it into something else; "Motown," like a Weezer hit with an unexpected cosmic chorus; a new dirge, "I Just Want to Go Home," heartfelt and miserable. -[New York Times]

While the Times nailed the guts of Harvey Milk's Monday night headlining set, it neglects to discuss both The Atlas Moth and the beautiful disaster that was Coalesce.

And Coalesce was a mess, but in the best possible way. I've heard that the band refers to itself as a "bass and drums band", and live it is definitely adheres to that. Guitarist Jes barely plays his instrument, opting for noise/feedback and spastic dance moves instead (to great effect) while the rest of the band lays down the brutality. Jes spent at least 3/4 of one song laying on the floor of venue and feedingback the guitars like Thurston Moore circa Dirty. Wild to say the least.

The Atlas Moth impressed yet again, drawing heavily from one of my favorite LPs of 2009 for their bluesy and epic set. Those of you heading to SXSW will have plenty of chances to check them out, including at TWO BrooklynVegan shows: 3/17 at Emos and 3/18 at Hoeks Death Metal Pizza.

More pictures (including one of HM's setlist) and some video from the show, below...

The Atlas Moth

Harvey Milk - "Motown" @ Le Poisson Rouge, 3/8/10

Coalesce - "You Can't Kill Us All" @ Le Poisson Rouge, 3/8/10

The Atlas Moth - "Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence" @ Le Poisson Rouge, 3/8/10

Atlas Moth @ BV shows this SXSW.....

BV @ Emo's 3/17/10

BV @ Hoeks 3/18/10

Harvey Milk is brilliant

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2010 9:20 AM

in the headline it's coalesce, not coaclesce... sorry but it has to be said!

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2010 9:21 AM

These vids have shown two things: 1)It was great show I was glad to have made it to. 2) Christ, do I have a big head.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2010 9:31 AM

I wonder if the dudes in Harvey Milk were bummed when "Milk" came out.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2010 9:32 AM

I love to play..count the beards

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2010 9:33 AM

Visible Leonard.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2010 9:35 AM

fuck, i've had to miss Harvey Milk the last 3 times they were here... hope they're back sometime soon...

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2010 9:41 AM

They have a new album coming out so I guess they will tour again.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2010 9:49 AM

Shit! So bummed I missed Coalesce!! But that is quickly forgotten because DEP is tonight!

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2010 11:08 AM

i would never buy or listen to a Coalesce record, but live they were a lot of fun.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2010 11:14 AM

I was hoping to hear more from Special Wishes. At least I got to hear "I've Got a Love", unlike half the crowd. Killer show anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2010 11:23 AM

DO YOU THINK THAT THE MUSTACHE DUDE WEARS VINTAGE JEANS, RED WINGS AND FLANNEL SHIRT AND EAT GRASS FED MEATS WHEN HE IS NOT BEING BAND DUDE?

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2010 11:34 AM

Meg, Great shots! Seems like it was a great show!

Posted by Brian Reilly | March 11, 2010 1:08 PM

haile selassie front and center.

Great show .

Posted by Pete | March 11, 2010 2:00 PM

Thanks Brian!! It was really fun...and really loud.

Posted by Meghan McInnis | March 11, 2010 4:05 PM

did the bass player hand out some pies or thighs?

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2010 4:11 PM

Show was cool, but jesus christ.....way too many photographers. What the fuck people, this isn't a fashion shoot. Every little movement or unscripted action from the performers resulted in 3 or so people crowding up with their giant cameras, capturing the 'authenticity' ....Can't we just enjoy what is happening, exist in the moment?

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2010 5:28 PM

definitely agree w/ 5:28, i was surrounded by so many photogs in the front i almost felt famous

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2010 6:17 PM

Would have like to have seen Coalesce and maybe Harvey Milk.
I'll pass on the Atlas mustachein heimer wolfhammer brothers.

Ha Ha Ha Ha! Peek a boo!

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 1:02 AM

cute ^^ thanx

Posted by صور | March 18, 2010 9:54 PM

I love to play..count the beards

Posted by iPad | March 21, 2010 9:58 AM

gooood

Posted by شات | August 24, 2010 12:03 AM

3.I'm still skeptical... I just wonder how long it may take for some indentity thieves to find a way to use the information you post to their advantage. I do think credit awareness is an important

Posted by دردشة | September 11, 2010 5:35 PM

Julian Cope on Mac:

"I gots to tell y’all that when I heard the other day that the Bunnymen’s Ian McCulloch is writing his autobiography, I nearly shat my undies laughing so hard (good job I don’t wear any!); Ian Mac write a book? A man for whom completing a single song on his own is a struggle of Everest the Hard Way proportions is hardly going to write a book. Ian, I’m speechless at your continued arrogance in the face of no evidence whatsoever. In my opinion, you’ve been a dried-up shell of a husk of a man since just after OCEAN RAIN, so don’t embarrass us all with your ludicrous claims that you’re gonna write an autobiography. Two words… No Way. Writing a book involves discipline and hard work, two things you never nailed in the past and never will. As I heard it, you even said in the press that your book will be better than the Bible. Well, in two ways it may well be like the Bible: 1) it’ll be full of half-truths and outright lies, and 2) it’ll have been written by umpteen uncredited writers and you’ll name yourself solely as its author. There you go, dumkopf, I just handed you the map: don’t even bother buying yourself a pen, son; just do what you’ve always done throughout your career; get someone else to do most of the work then claim all the credit yourself. I even have a title already: MAC USER. And with that, I shall sweep off into the Beltane sunset. Yowzah!"

Posted by Youtube | October 26, 2010 8:10 PM

Guggenheim billed it as a performance piece and it was just an installation. Resultingly, the crowd simply waited for the "show" to start, limiting anyone's ability to freely explore the space (the ground floor was packed with indian-style seaters, and the balconies were lined with people holding onto their spots like grim death.

Posted by منتديات | January 9, 2011 12:51 PM

A friend of mine who is currently in the US saw a Coalesce performance live and talked a bit to the singer. She said there performance was awesome. Look forward to see them too.

Posted by Wellness Kurzurlaub | January 17, 2011 7:12 AM

it makes no sense for them to deconstruct the entire TD North venue to play a show the next night ~50 miles south at an amphitheater (which probably would require a different stage setup anyway). They'd play Providence or Mohegan Sun before that (and I think those are both highly unlikely).

Posted by فساتين - ازياء | January 19, 2011 4:49 PM

Wonderful post and the location is beautiful and elegant in design and information and everything>>> to Favorites
Amazing is an enormous understatement. One of the best electronic shows I've ever been to and I've seen well over a thousand concerts. I had no idea Vladislav Delay was as good a drummer & percussionist as he is- fabulous and he kept everything swinging with a very unique style of playing. If you missed this you missed out big time...
===================