Posted in metal | music | pictures | tour dates on March 9, 2010

words by BBG, photos by Samantha Marble

Snake of Voivod!
Voivod

As Kreator took the stage to "Choir of the Dammed," you could feel the excitement and adrenaline building in the venue. The band played with dead on accuracy, flawlessly mixing favorites from all eras to celebrate their 25th year in existence. There was extensive headbanging and a barrage of devil horns being thrown by the masses all night long. During the night, Mille informed us that after this leg of the tour, Kreator are heading back to Europe to do some summer festivals and then Kreator will get working on a new album.
Kreator played roughly an hour and twenty minutes and as the night came to a close, Mille had every voice in the venue bellowing "HATE" to introduce 'Flag of Hate" because when in New York at a Kreator concert on a Saturday night, how else do you show appreciation for the German Thrash veterans? - [MetalMachine.net]
A veritable thrash-topia converged at Nokia Theater on 3/6 when legends Kreator shared the stage with Voivod, Evile, Lazarus AD, and the not-thrash-but-still-great Nachtmystium. The show was part of an ongoing tour for the thrash legends, which will terminate soon and culminate in Voivod taking on Austin during SxSW. The band is scheduled to play the official Relapse showcase on 3/17 at Red 7 but will also play the BrooklynVegan/M for Montreal party at Galaxy Room on 3/20 (at the same time as our Red 7 party... decisions).

More pics and some video from the NYC show (including shots of Kreator and Voivod's setlists), flyers and dates below...

Nachtmystium

3/24/2010 House of Blues - San Diego, CA^^
3/25/2010 The Rock - Tucson, AZ^^
3/27/2010 Emo's Alternative Lounging - Austin, TX^^
3/28/2010 Meridian - Houston, TX^^
3/30/2010 The Club at Firestone - Orlando, FL^^
3/31/2010 The Masquerade - Atlanta, GA^^

* w/KREATOR, Voivod, Nachtmystium, Evile, Lazarus A.D.
** w/KREATOR, Nachtmystium, Evile, Lazarus A.D.
*** w/KREATOR, Voivod, Nachtmystium, Evile, Lazarus A.D.
^ w/KREATOR, Evile, Lightning Swords Of Death, Lazarus A.D.
^^ w/KREATOR, Kataklysm, Evile, Lightning Swords Of Death, Lazarus A.D.

Ripping Headaches? Tornado? my inner 15-year old is dying to see voivod. amazing set list!

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2010 2:22 PM

Voivod totally met and exceeded my expectations. I can't wait for them to come back and headline.

I really like Nachtmystium on record but this was my second time seeing them live and I didn't like them either time. They're just not that good live. They're a studio band. The sound is always off and all the interesting psychedelic elements are lost. I hope they figure out what spark is missing in the live shows.

Posted by noamjamski | March 9, 2010 2:39 PM

Voivod ruled! Couldn't believe they played "Missing Sequences". I hope they come back for a headlining tour and play longer.

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2010 3:36 PM

Damnit, I hope that setlist is not gonna be the same case when I see them on Friday! I wanna hear Forgotten In Space and Ravenous Medicine from Killing Technology and To The Death and F.O.A.D. from RROOOOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!

Bu then again, Piggy's not in the lineup, and it's an understatement to say that his riffs and solos are hard to pull off.

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2010 3:51 PM

3:51, yeah there is a very sad reason why Piggy is not in the lineup (RIP) The new guitarist pulls it off perfectly. The challenge will be if he can write, if they choose to make a new album. Piggy was the creative soul of that band and wrote almost everything....

I was checking out setlists from other nights on the tour, they change it up. Some cities got Ravenous Medicine, Experiment, The Prow, Nothingface, Brain Scan, a few others.

It looks like there are a few set parts of the show, and a few spots where they rotate songs.

Posted by noamjamski | March 9, 2010 5:06 PM

I had the pleasure of seeing Voivod with Piggy twice and they blew my mind both times.... have to admit I was skeptical about Dan Mongrain but he completely shreds. He doesn't pull a copy cat note for note imitation, but it sounds 100 % Voivod...something I thought to be impossible without Piggy's genius

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2010 5:11 PM

NOTHINGFACE record is an absolute masterpiece.

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2010 11:03 AM

This is a great and very valuable information about Kreator & Voivod played Nokia Theatre in NYC w/ Evile & Nachtmystium (pics), continue on tour (SXSW & other dates). Thank you very much for sharing this information with us.

Thanks.

Posted by Panchakarma Treatment | April 4, 2010 5:07 AM

voivod is amazing, everybody loves him.!

Posted by bumper sticker | April 5, 2010 7:25 PM

Excellent post, thank you very much for taking the time to share with those who are starting on the subject. Greetings
------------------

Posted by يوتيوب | April 15, 2010 2:49 PM

Posted by Wed Gan | May 18, 2010 10:11 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2010 2:42 AM

After canceling a November 16th performance at SUNY Purchase due to back problems, musician Dan Deacon has returned

Posted by شات صوتي | August 17, 2010 4:53 AM

Posted by free game dora | September 5, 2010 11:33 PM

Posted by bag factory | September 6, 2010 9:30 AM

Posted by Youtubena | October 23, 2010 8:33 PM

These guys are pure energy. Its a shame that the venue is branded by that phone company tho!

Posted by LED Lights | October 30, 2010 9:56 AM

« Ari Marcopoulos @ the Whitney, Demolished Thoughts & other Sonic Youth-related happenings | Shout Out Louds played Pianos & White Slab (pics, setlist) »
Posted in metal | music | pictures | tour dates on March 9, 2010

3/24/2010 House of Blues - San Diego, CA^^
3/25/2010 The Rock - Tucson, AZ^^
3/27/2010 Emo's Alternative Lounging - Austin, TX^^
3/28/2010 Meridian - Houston, TX^^
3/30/2010 The Club at Firestone - Orlando, FL^^
3/31/2010 The Masquerade - Atlanta, GA^^

* w/KREATOR, Voivod, Nachtmystium, Evile, Lazarus A.D.
** w/KREATOR, Nachtmystium, Evile, Lazarus A.D.
*** w/KREATOR, Voivod, Nachtmystium, Evile, Lazarus A.D.
^ w/KREATOR, Evile, Lightning Swords Of Death, Lazarus A.D.
^^ w/KREATOR, Kataklysm, Evile, Lightning Swords Of Death, Lazarus A.D.
Recent Related Entries

* Nachtmystium, Zoroaster, The Atlas Moth & Dark Castle played Knitting Factory (pics & video)
* Nachtmystium, Zoroaster, The Atlas Moth & Dark Castle played The Studio (pics & video)
* Nachtmystium tonight, The Body tomorrow (win tix)
* A Sunny Day in Glasgow releasing free album, playing NYC, played Austin in March (belated pics)
* Nokia Theater is now Best Buy Theater (Linkin Park appropriately playing the inaugural performance)

Tags: Evile, Kreator, Lazarus AD, Nachtmystium, Nokia Theatre, SXSW, Voivod
posted at 1:44 PM on March 9, 2010 in metal | music | pictures | Comments (17)

* Twitter
* Facebook
* MySpace
* Digg
* Reader

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2010 2:22 PM

Posted by noamjamski | March 9, 2010 2:39 PM

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2010 3:36 PM

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2010 3:51 PM

Posted by noamjamski | March 9, 2010 5:06 PM

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2010 5:11 PM

NOTHINGFACE record is an absolute masterpiece.

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2010 11:03 AM

Thanks.

Posted by Panchakarma Treatment | April 4, 2010 5:07 AM

voivod is amazing, everybody loves him.!

Posted by bumper sticker | April 5, 2010 7:25 PM

------------------

Posted by يوتيوب | April 15, 2010 2:49 PM

I had the pleasure of seeing Voivod with Piggy twice and they blew my mind both

Posted by شات | October 30, 2010 10:12 AM

llowed like last year but not the other previous years (it's a festival at a park, sewing 25

Posted by شات | October 30, 2010 10:15 AM

good covering i do like voivod a little but i always think there is a metallica shadow on it .. isn't that right ?

Posted by انفجن | November 6, 2010 9:12 AM

I was there that night!!!

It's been the greatest events Im gonna remember for ever.

Everything was perfect!!!!
Nachtmystium
Lazarus A.D.
Kreator

I have no words for What I saw!!!!

Posted by florida cpa | December 12, 2010 4:13 PM

Actually it’s a great band I guess this band going to be better!!
I think this website is very fun and interesting also!... If they put some effort they can go so far…

Posted by Internet Services Provider | December 14, 2010 8:29 AM

Wonderful post and the location is beautiful and elegant in design and information and everything>>> to Favorites
Amazing is an enormous understatement. One of the best electronic shows I've ever been to and I've seen well over a thousand concerts. I had no idea Vladislav Delay was as good a drummer & percussionist as he is- fabulous and he kept everything swinging with a very unique style of playing. If you missed this you missed out big time...
===================