Posted in music on March 7, 2010

Mark Linkous

Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse has committed suicide, according to a report from Rolling Stone. His family has released a statement reading, "It is with great sadness that we share the news that our dear friend and family member, Mark Linkous, took his own life today. We are thankful for his time with us and will hold him forever in our hearts. May his journey be peaceful, happy and free. There's a heaven and there's a star for you." [Pitchfork]
"Linkous' publicist confirms he was nearly finished with a new album that was due on Anti- Records."

R.I.P.

who

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 12:57 AM

R.I.P. my friend....your music will always have a special place in my heart.

Posted by Jonny Greenwood is the man | March 7, 2010 12:57 AM

Another good one. So very sad. I am playing vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot.......tonight I dedicate Spirit Ditch to Mark! RIP!

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 1:04 AM

Just listen to "Dog Door," his collaboration with Tom Waits, and you'll see why he was one of the coolest producers of our time....

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 1:11 AM

Was actually humming piano fire earlier yesterday.... is this messed up or what? why do the best go this way?!

Posted by jason | March 7, 2010 1:14 AM

what a shame.. r.i.p.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 1:14 AM

GODDAMMIT

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 1:26 AM

Terrible news. I saw Sparklehorse at Tramps not long after vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot came out, and have followed him since then. Stellar artist.

Posted by Kurt Christensen | March 7, 2010 1:27 AM

Yay 1257 keep up the douchbagery

Posted by Yea | March 7, 2010 1:30 AM

If anyone ever listened to 10 seconds of Sparklehorse this won't come as shock. DEPRESSING. Still sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 1:46 AM

i saw em do a free show at waterloo/sxsw 5 yrs ago. it was good.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 1:47 AM

Too many of these recently.....far, far too many....

Posted by andrew | March 7, 2010 1:51 AM

I agree with Andrew..its getting pretty scary out there.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 1:59 AM

dammit

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 2:02 AM

oh my god... this is awful. wow.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 2:42 AM

R.I.P. Mark Linkous. Really sad to hear this. I was very lucky to have worked with Mark for a few years. He was a magic man who walked with demons. We met first in VA when we produced Daniel Johnston's Fear Yourself (DJ is backed by Sparklehorse). The second project was The Late Great Daniel Johnston that took us two years to put together. Check out Sparklehorse and the Flaming Lips covering Daniel Johnston's "Go". www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rx2iYH3mK8

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 2:47 AM

look around people...
it's not pretty

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 3:16 AM

may all your days be gold, my child....

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 4:05 AM

Shocked but not wholly surprised. Regardless, he was a true artist, writing fresh and original sounding songs for the past 15 years. May you finally be free of pain and in a better place. You were one of the great ones. Much love.

Posted by Heartbroken | March 7, 2010 4:31 AM

Okay people...can we please stop killing ourselves? It really fucks up those left behind.

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 6:40 AM

this is terrible...
RIP

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 7:15 AM

Do not read any further if you do not want to know the details of Mark's death. There is NOTHING good about this. RIP because this life must have sucked.

Linkous committed suicide on March 6, 2010 with a single shotgun blast to the head. Linkous’ family members initially found him (still alive) after the shotgun blast. With extensive facial and cranial trauma to Linkous’ head (Linkous suffered a particularly devastating “blow-out”-type wound wherein the blast evacuated the back portion of his head), his family called police and an ambulance crew. Linkous lived for an additional three hours after the shotgun blast, but was later pronounced dead by ambulance EMT workers.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 7:20 AM

6:40, live your own life, or take your own life - it yours.

8:11 and 8:16, go fuck yourselves.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 8:35 AM

you are, the only one, can ride that horse....

may you have now that peace you didn't find in here.

Farewell my friend.

Posted by Sugarjoe | March 7, 2010 8:50 AM

If you've ever been suicidal, call 1-800-LIFE-NET. Being suicidal is a mental aberration, a mental illness, and can pass like any other kind of illness. If left untreated, it can lead to horrible and devastating losses, as with Mark Linkous.

Suicidal ideation, suicidal thoughts, feel real and persuasive when you're in the middle of the fear and the isolation of it and can't seem to find any solution, way out, or reason to go on. It is crucial to not do what Mark did - it is an act that you can never undo and leaves those affected crushed and hopeless. Of course, ultimately it is a hostile act, but once done it is never to be taken back and is a legacy of defeat and darkness.

There are new and better solutions for suicidal ideation and mental illness every year and there is a very wide web of support that is growing for these very misunderstood and stigmatized afflictions. Suicide can be stopped.

Call 1-800-LIFE-NET or 911 or anyone or anything. Once you pull the trigger, the consequences are severe and there is no turning back. Suicide is a terribly scary affair, not romantic or sad or literary in any way. It is a dark and finite choice.

Posted by Jack Rosenberg | March 7, 2010 9:27 AM

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 10:04 AM

this is indeed very sad upsetting news. those who are fans of Sparklehorse surely realize what a loss this truly is. I first met Mark when he came to the studio where I worked to re-record a version of "Happy Man" to release it as a single, and got to know him briefly while he helped produce a couple songs on my band's first record. we had some long phone conversations, and he was truly a very honest and pure soul, though never more than a few arms' lengths from the things that troubled him most. this is probably not the forum for a post like this, but it's the first place I read the news this morning, so be it. i'll miss Mark and his music, every note of which seemed dusted with some little hint of magic.

Posted by Cambot | March 7, 2010 10:31 AM

There is indeed a heaven and a star for you, Mark. At times as loud & raucous like a backfiring bugatti, but mostly patient and fragile it seemed ur music travelled from light years away across the galaxy spending an eternity trying to get to us. I hope ur back home now.

Posted by scott G | March 7, 2010 10:53 AM

so tragic. RIP

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 11:32 AM

The last line of his family's statement, "There's a heaven and there's a star for you," is from Daniel Johnston's "Hey Joe," which originally appeared on Hi, How Are You.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 11:34 AM

Why can't John Mayer shuffle off his mortal coil instead of the good ones?

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 12:20 PM

Always dug the Sparklehorse song "London", with lyrics by William Blake.

Posted by drewo | March 7, 2010 1:43 PM

Really awful news. Hopefully he's found peace and is sharing a friendly drink with Vic Chesnutt somewhere in the stratosphere.

Saw him play with the Ladybug Transistor in 2007 (the year he played Lollapalooza) and he was quite good. I hope his family's doing OK.

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 2:29 PM

RIP, indeed. Damn, if only half of the megalomaniac, self-mythologizing, interweb-driven bands out there had a fraction of the talent Linkous had. Phew...

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 7:52 PM

There is nothing romantic about suicide. As such, this is just horrible, devastating news. Makes you think about how powerful people can feel when they're in the midst of creating, and how small and insignificant when they're merely living. Such a talented man...

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2010 9:34 PM

oh my god i'm truly horrified at this news. i've loved sparklehorse's music for many years but for some reason or another have never managed to see them live, and now never will. they came to london a few year back, think they played the hammersmith apollo & i couldn't get tickets in time.
i've been really looking forward to dark night of the soul finally getting released, particularly afteer last week's announcement. was hoping they might tour it in some way. really can't believe this has just happened. i love the comment about mark & vic...i really hope that'll be the case!
RIP...x

Posted by tash | March 8, 2010 6:56 AM

"may all your days be gold, my child...."

that song alone saved my life many times. i wish he could've found one that saved his.

Posted by Anonymous | March 8, 2010 12:28 PM

Oh fuck, that's terrible. I know it's pretty depressing music that must have come from a dark place inside of him and I'm not very surprised but it is a big letdown to know that he's silenced his own voice. I was looking forward to hearing new albums from this guy for many years into the future.

If you'll humor me for a second: I've spent huge chunks of my life being depressed and the worst thing about it is that it's a monster that feeds itself. Pity is a drug. Allowing yourself to feel sorry for yourself means that at least you can feel something. It becomes an addiction to sadness.

But I realized recently that I can actually be addicted to happiness as well. I can do the things that prolong the happiness instead: making new friends, talking to strangers, dancing, listening to music, riding my bike, visiting my friends when they move away, playing with children, giving people presents, being polite and thoughtful, holding the door for an elderly person, giving a pregnant woman my seat on the subway, giving a dollar to a musician on the street. I'm not saying this stuff works for everybody, but it sure keeps me from wanting to kill myself. I've been there and I don't want to go back.

Posted by Aaron | March 8, 2010 3:12 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by Anonymous | March 8, 2010 5:56 PM

thanks god bya

Posted by ساحات | August 5, 2010 7:18 PM

Buildings are not very cheap and not everybody is able to buy it. Nevertheless, business loans was invented to aid different people in such situations.

Posted by AllenCelia | May 16, 2012 4:30 AM