Posted in comedy | music | pictures on March 16, 2010

photos by Paul Birman

Puscifer

...The material, though unfamiliar, was an excellent vehicle for Keenan's gifts. Most of it was swaggery and driving, pitched right between the sinister and the playful. But some of it was downright balladic, with a distinctly loungey feel, with Keenan coming off like a histrionic though entirely sincere Vegas crooner. The music and the presentation had a gimmicky element, but crucially, Keenan played it straight and sang his ass off. (To be fair, the band ruled, especially the really solid, crushing drummer and an excellent female vocalist--Carina Round--who served as an excellent foil for Maynard.)

The stunning quality of his performance had the really remarkable effect of legitimizing everything around it. Gradually, all the cheesy video interludes came to seem delightful; the theatrical hubbub going on simultaneous to the music began to come off like a charming complement to the already vaguely Broadway-ish material. (Former Primus drummer Tim Alexander played the role of a flight attendant, while opening acts Neil Hamburger (!) and Uncle Scratch's Gospel Revival sat in faux airplane seats at center stage, chatting, drinking and reading the paper during the majority of the performance.) Overall it was like watching a performer jump the shark, but doing so in such a professional and expertly choreographed fashion that the joke was on you for trying to put them in an aesthetic box in the first place. You actually felt like you were being forced to accept an aspect of Maynard James Keenan that you weren't ready for and you couldn't help but be won over. [Dark Forces Swing Blind Punches]

Maynard James Keenan's Puscifer made their NYC debut with a pair of shows last weekend: March 11th at the Grand Ballroom/Hamerstein Ballroom (where the above review and pictures here are from) and March 13th at the Apollo Theater. Uncle Scratch's Gospel Revival and Neil Hamburger opened (and also participated in Puscifer's extensive stage-show set-up).

Their tour continues through March. More pictures below...

Neil Hamburger

Neil Hamburger

Neil Hamburger

Neil Hamburger

Neil Hamburger

Puscifer

A serious conflict is the only reason why anyone should go to Grand Ballroom instead of the Apollo Theater.

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2010 9:33 AM

there was something beautiful yet disturbing in the way that dude from uncle strach's played the drums.. maybe cause he was sitting on a lawn chair. i've never seen that before.

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2010 9:44 AM

I went on Thurs (to Grand Ballroom) and that show was weirdly awesome.

Posted by Funderburgh | March 16, 2010 9:48 AM

The Apollo show was quite a trip... first half was basically an Andy Kaufman-esque take on a Redneck Reality show. 2nd half looks pretty similar to the above pics, but I wasn't at Grand Ballroom so don't quote me. Anyone go to both?

Maynard kept saying "Punk Rock Peoples of the Apollo"...which was is pretty fuckin hysterical

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2010 9:51 AM

i surprisingly enjoyed this WAY more than I expected and have been a long long time fan of everything maynard has been involved in...he pulled it off well...

The Grand Ballroom is an amazing space as well. Nothing compared...but I had prior engagements for the night of the Apollo...would love to see pics tho

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2010 9:53 AM

The second, more traditional concert half of the show on Saturday was awesome, even better than I expected. As the posted review says, Maynard's backing band, cobbled together from other units, was especially great.

But while I admittedly laughed a few times during the first part (the country send-up), I could have done without it. It was like going to see a friend act in community theater: I mostly felt obliged to appreciate it out of friendship, not because of its own merits.

Posted by Super-Extra | March 16, 2010 10:16 AM

Well dude, considering the name of the album is "V is for Vagina", I think you have to welcome some wacky comedy in going to see this show. I think the bigger joke was that this Redneck deal was taking place at the Apollo...venue was certainly in mind in staging the first half.

I'm with you somewhat though because I think it went on for too long... or rather, the more serious half was too short. I'm fine with a 45 minute comedy sketch (which had music too, lets not forget), if it means we then get a 90 minute set of tunes. For it to eat up half of the bands stage time was definitely a bit much.

Had a great time though. It definitely wasn't just a nother show...

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2010 11:04 AM

This looks like a painful attempt at fading relevancy for Maynard. Anyone who even considered paying to see this is truly a tool.

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2010 11:44 AM

^^ funny thing is, i don't think that maynard ever devoted any energy to being relevant.

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2010 12:11 PM

I had a great time at both shows, although I agree that the redneck-style songs were easier to 'appreciate in the context of what MJK is trying to do' than to 'rock out to'. But having been there Thursday when the entire set was played, I was glad to see something different. And I don't know if it was partially my relief that they dropped the redneck style, but the second half of Saturday's show sounded even better than the same songs had on Thursday. Perhaps the Apollo had better acoustics.

Long story short I've seen Tool several times, APC once, and would go to see anything MJK sees fit to present on his way through NYC. He will not simply put on the show he thinks his average fan wants - he is always challenging people to challenge their own preconceptions. Any Tool fan knew this from the time of their first albums and the lyrics from songs like Opiate and Hooker with a Penis. And let's face it, his music/lyrics/vocals have been amazing in all incarnations.

Posted by D-Lo | March 16, 2010 12:17 PM

did he serve his fancy booze?

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2010 12:53 PM

Great show. Reminds me of the two Portland shows last fall (reveiws with pictures on my site).

~Dan

Posted by POSTY McPOSTERTON | March 16, 2010 1:46 PM

MJK is great because he challenges you to come along with him on these strange experiences instead of just settling on a normal "rock show"

Posted by Jeff | March 16, 2010 4:21 PM

anon @ 9:44 am:

I've always found Brother Ant (?) the drummer to be completely creepy. Not only is it the low slung lawn chair, but the big metal contraption strapped to his head to hold the old mic.

I love them, but it's creepy.

Posted by Anonymous | March 17, 2010 1:18 PM

that's my life..........

Posted by BRAIN AIDS | March 17, 2010 3:28 PM

Failed art student bullshit, but since it's the singer of tool OMG HE IS CHALLENGING US THIS IS TRUE ART. Tool fans are worse than Lady Gaga fans with their delusions.

Posted by Anonymous | March 17, 2010 3:46 PM

He was the reason Tool sucked, boring lyrics and monotone voice.

Posted by Anonymous | March 17, 2010 3:48 PM

deviant

Posted by صور | March 18, 2010 9:52 PM

looks much more interesting than 95% of the shit concerts by up and coming bands

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2010 6:11 AM

Great show. Reminds me of the two Portland shows last fall

Posted by منتديات | June 4, 2010 8:03 AM

www.zhrah.com

Posted by شات | June 17, 2010 10:24 PM

she look so hot when wearing police clothes

Posted by منتديات | August 21, 2010 7:28 PM

nive

Posted by شات | August 24, 2010 12:00 AM

too nice and cool , but crazy songs

Posted by منتديات | September 24, 2010 11:50 AM

too nice and cool , but crazy songs

Posted by الملتقى العربي | January 29, 2011 10:43 PM

Hey, Anon, take that back! Tool does not suck! (hey, it rhymed!)

Perhaps you're not just into rock with deeper meaning than your pop songs. Do us a favor, and don't comment on what you don't know at all!

Dee

Posted by Dee Sydia | May 8, 2011 10:34 AM

Tool used to be my favorite band but the fans really ruined it for me. Some of the most obnoxious people ever. Maynard is not a god. I'm sorry you got an embarrassing tattoo, that will not impress him. I'm sure he doesn't want to hear your meaning of a song he wrote nor does he want a demo of your cover band! SHUT-UP!!and besides we all know Pucifer hasn't done anything good since that episode of Mr. Show!

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2011 11:17 AM

I don't care too much about Tool. Their music's kind of weird for my taste.

Posted by Keyword Tool | August 25, 2011 9:51 PM

Seems that their lyrics have underlying meanings. I perfectly like their outfit in that performance.

Posted by Catherine Paul | August 28, 2011 4:45 PM