Posted in music | tour dates on March 12, 2010

Allman BrothersAllman Brothers

"Due to an unforeseen family matter, the Allman Brothers Band shows scheduled for March 22-27 in New York City have been cancelled. The shows scheduled for March 11-20 at the United Palace will take place as planned. Refunds are available at point of purchase. The group looks forward to seeing their fans at all their upcoming performances including their Wanee Festival in Florida (April 16 & 17), the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival (April 23-25) and at Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival (June 26). TM is automatically refunding any tickets that were purchased online."

Lame. Not sure what "unforeseen family matter" would allow them to play 11 shows but then suddenly have to cancel the last five.
The reality is that ticket sales for these dates have been really slow. This is in large part to the ridiculous prices, but also the venue. The suburban middle aged fans who were used to going to the Beacon by muscle memory are reluctant to go Washington Heights.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 1:09 PM

Yeah you're on the money. Allmans at the Beacon has become it's own brand over the past 20 years... and folks aren't willing to shill out the big bucks for another venue.

I dig United Palace though, maybe that's just because I live in the Heights :)

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 1:13 PM

After this stunt it's more like All-MEH-n Brothers. Amiright or amiright???

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 1:41 PM

1:41, I believe it's "amirite?"

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 1:45 PM

In keeping with the theme, shouldn't it actually be "aMEHrite"?

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 1:51 PM

i think we can all agree on that

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 1:53 PM

I think the Allman Brothers have put far more than their due time entertaining all you complaining, little inconvenienced pouters. Like they care about losing "fans" like you at this point in their legendary status. Oh, and they apologize for not being specific enough about the "unforseen family matter," like anyone on this site has any notion of a family. You're lucky they're even still playing live at all, so stop insinuating that they're somehow remiss here. That's what's up.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 1:54 PM

Hi, Grandpa!

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 1:58 PM

Go eat a peach!

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 2:07 PM

didn't greg allman turn in his best friend who used to supply him with heroin. allman did not go to jail, but his friend did.

Posted by d betts | March 12, 2010 2:18 PM

Their show last night was phenomenal, best one I've seen them play yet. All the old-timers are whining about the area (which isnt bad to begin with) and they got so complacent with being at the Beacon all those years. This is just what they needed, they played last night like they had something to prove. Ticket sales are suffering though; that cant be argued.

Posted by GregBX | March 12, 2010 2:33 PM

The tik prices are insultingly high, and I fucking love ABB, believe me. Getting up to United Palace plain sucks, and so does the neighborhood. Anyone claiming different is full of shit, or lives there.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 3:05 PM

"unforeseen family matter": Duane died

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 3:06 PM

really, people. who cares! i mean, almond brother, who very cares?

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 3:20 PM

down with southern racist rock in the era of obama

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 3:23 PM

The nosebleed seats for these shows are $70+. What is this, Vegas???

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 3:23 PM

Wow, maybe in 30 years you indie hipster retards can go see Vampire WEAK-end play 11 nights at the United Palace?

or maybe Besnard Jokes will play 14 nights at the beacon for you?

oh wait, that will never happen. thank god.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 3:47 PM

Who gives a shit.
Hey fat, burnt out, ponytail guy, go smoke your hippie lettuce, listen to old ABB records and remember "the good old days" at your own house, its really no different at this point.

Thank you Duane for saving the new york from having to endure 5 days of douche bags congregating at the Beacon (or whatever venue they were schedule to play).

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 4:10 PM

"saving the new york"? are you speaking euro? also shut the fuck up, you know you're fat and probably wear disgusting new balance sneakers and wear a teeny tiny hat and ride a shitty fixed gear bike or something gay like that. go back to ohio? lol? no really, go listen to girl talk and blow a diseased unwashed cock.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 4:20 PM

overpriced

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 6:58 PM

Bring back Dickey and then You can justify the ticket price. Maybe

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2010 11:40 PM

Nice post. Some great useful informations to be absorbed from this post. I have learned a lot of useful things from this post. Thanks a lot for sharing such an interesting and informative post with us. Keep blogging. Looking forward to read your next post.

Posted by Bandwidth Management115 | March 13, 2010 12:16 AM

"racist southern rock". Even though one of their original drummmers who is STILL with them is black, and they have 2 Latin guys in the band? Right.

98% of the bands covered on this site will not be remembered 10 years from now, nevermind 40. And I'm not part of the stereotyped "Allman audience". I'm a 23-year-old who mostly goes to hardcore shows.

And if you think the neighborhood is bad, then youre simply a pussy. And no, I dont live there.

Posted by GregBX | March 13, 2010 12:55 AM

abb won't even let you bit torrent their live concerts.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2010 2:35 AM

I think this post is very much interesting and informative.Its my pleasure to visit this blog.the main thing influenced me your presentation style.keep blogging.

Posted by Remortgage Deals | March 13, 2010 2:36 AM

None of you are seeing who the biggest culprit is in this shit. A few things to consider: the run was initially set for the eight nights still on; they added the last five 2 or 3 weeks later. If the cancellation is because of sales, well, someone had their doubts to begin with. The prices aren't great, but comparable to the Beacon. By comparison, the prices I saw for
Eric Clapton/Jeff Beck a month or so ago were nuts. Not that I cared about going to that, but it was $250 for a low level non-floor seat about halfway back in the Garden. ABB is playing in a small place (3000-3500) multiple times as opposed to selling 5 times that number for one night at higher prices in a much shittier venue. And you can actually go get a drink at the Beacon and be back in your seat in about two minutes when the show's going on. Can you even get booze at the Garden? (By the way, if anyone is not going because of the neighborhood, then they really are pussies. But I think the lack of ticket sales is also about a much worse economy then the media is telling us.)
To look at the larger picture, the biggest culprit is the Jim Dolan run Garden operation that bought the Beacon 3 or 4 years ago and, after 20 years, decided to book the lame ass Cirque de Soleil for 3 months and ignore a tradition that had to be making decent money just to try and squeeze a few more bucks out of it. Further, before Dolan & Co, the Beacon was like going back to the 70s in that the security might smoke a joint with you and you could dance in the aisle if you wanted to. That also changed with the ownership. As you may know, Dolan & Co. have run the Knicks deep in the ground (not that I care about basketball, but some people do). I know a few shows being cancelled isn't anything important, but it's a very small example of how we are all consistently being fucked by corporate centralization and greed that is never satisfied. It's the same shit that has run this country for decades now, pays no taxes, and has us all working more for less money than 40 to 50 years ago while profits and executive salaries rise regardless. And if they take a hit, they run to the government for more of our taxes, all of the time keeping us in line with scare tactics about terrorism and threats that don't really exist and bullshit about how great this country and the "American people" are. "Era of Obama," give me a fucking break. Tell that to the innocent Afghan civilians dying every day. And, yes, Gregg did fuck over his road manager years ago, packing him off to prison while he went off to fuck Cher (which now seems like its own sort of punishment in some way). Other members of the band told him to go fuck himself, but they came back. At least he's giving us something for our patronage in spite of his trangressions. Has a corporate screw like Dolan ever created anything but ways to scam us out of money by buying the creations of others and jacking up the price? The good news is that Cirque de Soleil isn't even up yet, so maybe the Beacon is sitting dark for these two weeks. I hope so, motherfucker.
Congrats on being vegan, vegan - the last stage of enlightenment.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2010 5:39 AM

So Anon, you "dont care about going to the Allmans, Jeff Beck/Clapton, or basketball"

yet you write a entire diatribe about the corporate greed, using them as your examples.

so after reading your post i dont care about you or anything you wrote.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2010 8:22 AM

hey 4:10 duane died in 1971, he was joking

please have some semblance of a clue before you post

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2010 8:38 AM

Everyone knows that it's Jim Dolan's fault at this point. No sense in arguing that anymore. That stupid Cirque Du Soleil show got pushed back (again) to April 29th, meaning the ABB could have used the Beacon after all.

Posted by GregBX | March 13, 2010 9:59 AM

redneck southern rock!

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2010 11:10 AM

total hippie show. ha!

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2010 11:37 AM

Allmans rule, but United Palace is just not an adequate venue for a music performance by a live band with amplified electric instruments. it's not the Beacon-it's not even in the same ballpark.

I'll gladly pay $70 to see them next time they come to the Beacon, or any other music venue. not United Palace though.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2010 11:56 AM

Allman's are awesome. No I'm not a redneck at all. Duane was amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2010 1:40 PM

Hey, 8:22, didn't say I didn't want to see the Allmans, and the performers mentioned aren't the examples of corporate greed, Dolan & Co are. You summarized inaccurately, then put quotes around it; not the greatest reading comprehension.
11:56, never been there but friends who have say it's great. Find out for myself on Tues.
Lot of you guys write in twitter, text-speak, sound bites without film - not so promising.

Posted by Diatribe | March 13, 2010 3:11 PM

hey 3:11, i was merely pointing out how douchey it is when people feel the need to disclose that they "arent interested in something" as if it had ANYTHING to do with your point.

like you were worried that someone reading your post would think you were into jeff beck/clapton or nba basketball and you had to make sure they wouldnt think that, depsite the fact that youre anonymous anyway.

do you also see romantic comedies and watch american idol only "for your girlfriend"

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2010 6:41 PM

No problem, 6:41: reverse order: no, I haven't seen any romantic comedies or American Idol lately.

Point the second: You are correct; I wanted to make sure that no one thought I cared about the NBA or Clapton/Beck so they wouldn't think my point was tied to some personal issue involving them. (I do, however, think Clapton is worthy of all due respect and suspect that he was just giving Beck a chance to make some money in the latter's dotage). Sorry for being specific and attempting to provide info and context. Do context and full disclosure concern you?

Point the first: How does one (meaning you) go from saying that I used the ABB, NBA and Clapton/Beck as illustrations of corporate greed, which I have shown I didn't and you have not refuted, to saying that my claim of not caring about them makes me "douchey," "as if it had ANYTHING to do with [my] point"? Again, you are correct to a limited extent, but confused. My condemnation of corporate greed is a separate and distinct issue from my feelings about the ABB, NBA or Clapton/Beck. And I have said nothing to indicate otherwise. So, again, those feelings have nothing to do with my larger point (and you are correct in that limited context), but it does not address my ultimate concern and neither have you.

Why don't you say what's really bothering you about my "diatribe"? Do you have enough insight to do so? Do you even understand what insight is?

Point to myself and you: Why I am spending so much time with this? Because I think you have potential. But please try harder. I understand that the educational system of this, the greatest country the universe has ever seen or could envision, may have failed you, but stop misquoting me. If you are going to put quotes (" ") around things you attribute to me, at least get the words right. You will never have any credibility otherwise.
Your friend perhaps,
Diatribe

Posted by Diatribe | March 14, 2010 5:14 AM

all you pussies should just shut the fuck up

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2010 12:58 PM

If your good at what you do, you get paid. Acts like the Brothas are a dying breed. I'm traveling from Buffalo and think i'm lucky to get the chance to see them live every time.

Posted by fixxy | March 14, 2010 1:50 PM

Saw them on Friday night (3-12-10) and they were great. Soulful version of Blind Willie McTell and Susan Tedechi rocked the house on Not My Cross To Bear.

Does anyone have a set list that they played Friday night? Too into it to remember each song...

Posted by Holt McChord | March 14, 2010 3:26 PM

Set lists are put on the "hittin the web" site within a day or two usually.

Posted by Diatribe | March 14, 2010 3:32 PM

Thanks...Not yet posted but I will keep checking back.

Posted by Holt McChord | March 14, 2010 4:24 PM

Can any of you who have been to one of the shows tell me if they serve liquor in the United Palace or will I have to try and smuggle some in?

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2010 10:24 PM

OMG
Just smoke and go enjoy the show.

Posted by anom | March 17, 2010 12:33 PM

not that anybody here cares, probably, but there was a huge walk-up tonight, Thurs, and the second set was ass-kicking, as good as it gets. weekend is sold out. see ya tomorrow night. acoustics in that place are great, better than the beacon, but the beer sucks and no liquor

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2010 1:34 AM

Gregg got paranoid...again, and fired kirk west, the little ponytailed "spiritual advisor" of the band. a really fine, sweet guy let go after 30 years. gregg finally got sober, but lost his mind.

Posted by Anonymous | March 25, 2010 2:29 PM

He told me Geraldine died...

Lost his mind? Probably
Sober? Probably Not

Posted by Anon | March 26, 2010 11:51 PM

It´s a impressive and extraordinary Website

Posted by Mark Lewis | September 17, 2010 9:55 PM

redneck southern rock!It really rocks.

Posted by diwata | September 22, 2010 11:08 PM

redneck southern rock!It really rocks.

Posted by tampa divorce attorney | September 22, 2010 11:21 PM