Posted in music | pictures on March 15, 2010

photos by Bao Nguyen

Amazing I spent $20 to see one of my favorite bands play a club show to debut material for their upcoming album. Played for about One Hour and Forty minutes. All other bands please take note. -Anon 6:05

The National

The National closed their two-show engagement at the Bell House with a show Friday night (3/12). Like night one, the band mixed songs off their forthcoming LP, High Violet, with older material. According to the set list below, they added "Brainy," "Mistaken for Strangers" and "All The Wine" for their second night (and cut "Start a War").

Their upcoming shows include an June 16th show at Radio City Music Hall, and one in Prospect Park in July. Their next scheduled show happens March 28th in Knoxville, TN's Big Ears Fest.

More pictures and a set list from Friday's show are below...

The National

The National - Friday, Mar. 12th at the Bell House (via)
Sorrow
Anyone's Ghost
Little Faith (Chrome Horse)
Mistaken for Strangers

Vanderlye Crybaby Geeks
Mr. November
Terrible Love

Such a great show

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2010 9:51 AM

6th picture....I always think that guy looks like Brendan Canning from BSS

Great pics as usual! Great job Bao!

Posted by Jonny Greenwood is the man | March 15, 2010 10:18 AM

Fantastic show.

Posted by Tumbleweed | March 15, 2010 11:11 AM

They better not be phasing out 'About Today' from regular encore setlists.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2010 11:48 AM

I ask this in a genuine, non-snarky way... What is the appeal of this band?

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2010 1:25 PM

I also wonder what the appeal of this band is.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2010 2:12 PM

I am wondering how it is that someone could have different taste than me.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2010 2:22 PM

I wont fuck this over.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2010 5:28 PM

I continue posts beginning with I.

For two good hours I stood on two good legs wondering 'fuck, how many permutations of the same song will I hear tonight? Too many, it turns out.

The National is all about refinement. The band sounds tighter/louder/stronger/positive adjective compared to their first album, but there's been no progress in their sound. Guitars? Check. Tempo? Check. Plaintive horns? Check. Same vocal range in nearly every song? Check. For all those people that wished that bands should never evolve and stick to a singular sound their entire careers, well, The National are for you!

Posted by dave | March 15, 2010 9:57 PM

listen to their records. they are all actually very different.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2010 11:48 PM

I am also wondering how people find this music appealing.

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2010 1:05 AM

Seriously – what's the appeal of this band?

Lyrically they remind me of high school poetry. Vocally they are flat and shiftless. Musically they are middle of the road.

I understand people have different tastes than me. I'm just wondering if there is some compelling aspect that I'm missing with the National?

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2010 10:30 AM

clasic

Posted by صور | March 18, 2010 9:53 PM

Very nice close up photos of the National

Posted by HP27 HP28 | April 13, 2010 11:08 AM

The second night of the Bell House was even better than the first one. I have really liked it very much. The photos are also great.Thanks.

Posted by Darlene B. Hayton | June 24, 2010 12:19 PM

Photo's are great - made by a pro!It's a pity that I missed that show. Damn! Their music is literally just amazing, the combination is wonderful.

Posted by Jeff | June 25, 2010 7:16 AM

The second night at the Bell House was even better than the first one. It was really amazing! I enjoyed it.

Posted by Jenny Henry | July 2, 2010 2:42 PM

I agree that the second night was better than the first one but all in all I would say that I am satisfied with both.

Posted by Ashley Chan | December 25, 2010 12:23 PM

Guggenheim billed it as a performance piece and it was just an installation. Resultingly, the crowd simply waited for the "show" to start, limiting anyone's ability to freely explore the space (the ground floor was packed with indian-style seaters, and the balconies were lined with people holding onto their spots like grim death.

Posted by منتديات | January 9, 2011 12:54 PM

it makes no sense for them to deconstruct the entire TD North venue to play a show the next night ~50 miles south at an amphitheater (which probably would require a different stage setup anyway). They'd play Providence or Mohegan Sun before that (and I think those are both highly unlikely).

Posted by فساتين - ازياء | January 19, 2011 4:51 PM