Posted in industry | music on March 1, 2010

"It's disgraceful that this situation went on for as long as it did, depriving fans of seeing performers whom they support," said Camille DeSantis, a New Yorker still steaming she was shut out of an online sale of Ringo Starr tickets at Radio City Music Hall.

Wise Guys

"Four Nevada men who called themselves the Wiseguys were busted Monday for hacking into online ticket sellers like Ticketmaster and illegally grabbing up prime seats for concerts, ball games and Broadway shows.

The massive conspiracy - which allegedly netted the men $25 million between 2002 and 2009 - blocked ordinary fans from buying tickets, forcing them to turn to scalpers and price-gouging ticket brokers, officials said.

"The public thought it had a fair shot at getting tickets to these events, but what the public didn't know was that the defendants had cheated them out of that opportunity," said U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman, unsealing a 43-count indictment in New Jersey.

Wiseguys Tickets was charged with using a computer program to virtually muscle to the head of the line when an online sale began." [Daily News]

well there's a shocker.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 4:18 PM

awesome, now let's finally crackdown on the rest of these effin assholes.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 4:20 PM

Since when did the public think," ...they had a fair shot?"

This has been pretty common knowledge/practice and it's been pissing people off for years.

More like lawyers and the industry are finally paying attention.

Posted by 2jay | March 1, 2010 4:39 PM

I refuse to beliee this is possible. Horribly, horribly news!

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 4:43 PM

I'm working on a remote controlled programmable robot to trip anyone trying to go to the mercury lounge box office before I can wake up and go there.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 4:47 PM

i am building a spider that will kill your robot

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 4:56 PM

Horribly indeed!

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 5:02 PM

"In a spectacular irony, the defendents [sic] managed to take a process meant to distinguish between a human and a machine - and automate it."

OH THE IRONY

Posted by SPECTACULAR IRONY | March 1, 2010 5:08 PM

does this mean that now we'll be able to get good seats for Lady Caca?

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 5:34 PM

They were probably employed by Ticketmaster to do this...

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 5:41 PM

i am so happy to hear a victory like this took place. it's so outrageous that these people would do something like that. i have no words to call them except dirty fuckers. but, i still think that ticketmaster should be held partially responsible. they should have a better system than those annoying captchas. i feel like it was only a matter of time before someone cracked those. if i were ticketmaster, after i smeared shit all over my face because i'm a disgraceful corporation, i would look on ebay and wonder why i'm letting people getting away with reselling tickets on ebay etc at a 500% markup.

Posted by JM | March 1, 2010 7:01 PM

dont act like ticketmaster/live nation are the good guys here. I just tried to buy tickets to Julian Casablancas only to see a $12.00 SERVICE FEE. looks like 4 nevadans being indicted wont change that. assholes.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 9:37 PM

JM do you really think ticketmaster gives a fuck about the consumer? they're totally aware of this bullshit.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 9:39 PM

That's a very interesting post i have come across.I am really very impress with your article.I want to get more knowledge about this.Thanks for the share!Waiting for your next upcoming post.

Posted by Etnies | March 1, 2010 11:14 PM

I'm appalled.. I mean jealous of those guys! Ticketmaster is a business. They make money. They put a charge on each ticket. Why do people think they are so evil? Your local bar at least doubles or triples the price of that beer you order. Why no hate for them?

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 11:18 PM

from the article it didn't sound like they were "hacking". More that they used a computer program that could type in the capchas faster than human beings can. I'm confused as to how that could be illegal.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2010 11:26 PM

Hipster = winey bitch! It's laughable how people download a bands music for free, buy tickets online without even having to leave their homes and constantly complain how expensive it is. Do us all a favor: STAY HOME!

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2010 12:03 AM

Sounds like capitalism to me.

Posted by Steve | March 2, 2010 12:34 AM

The real problem is that there are old nanas who are willing to pay premium to see Ringo Starr. It all trickles down from there.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2010 12:48 AM

this doesn't seem illegal to me. they just came up with a way to beat the word verification screen. if anything, it'll just lead to better technology down the road -- that's generally what this type of cracking does anyway.

feds are wasting their time here.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2010 1:01 AM

"Why do people think they are so evil? Your local bar at least doubles or triples the price of that beer you order. Why no hate for them?"

Because my local bar does not advertise my favorite top shelf booze... And then when I go to buy it at the advertised price, they tell me "sorry, we sold out of that before we opened today, but you can have this cheap rockgut for 5X's more than the good stuff".

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2010 9:02 AM

"Can you smell that?"

"I think it's the guy in the next stall."

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2010 12:51 PM

Ticketmaster should be held responsible for programming a faulty system and for also not detecting this activity for 7 years.

The guys who built this saw and opportunity and took it. Good for them.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2010 1:27 PM

I love all you libertarians on here congratulating a bunch of douche bag scalpers. "Great job finding a flaw in the system." Yeah, I'm sure that's what you say when you want to go to a show and it gets sold out. The whole ticket resale business is obnoxious. Just because someone can make a profit off doing something, doesn't mean it's a good thing to do. Scalpers make it harder for fans to get tickets. That is bad - period.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2010 1:35 PM

"Waaaah! I didn't get to see Nickelback."

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2010 2:07 PM

Guggenheim billed it as a performance piece and it was just an installation. Resultingly, the crowd simply waited for the "show" to start, limiting anyone's ability to freely explore the space (the ground floor was packed with indian-style seaters, and the balconies were lined with people holding onto their spots like grim death.

Posted by منتديات | January 9, 2011 1:35 PM

Hey ya'll we lost another one.......but I'm glad to have grown up with gangstarr as representatives of this music that has an incredible history.....hip hop is a book that wrote itself and GURU was definetly one of its main characters.....we are all getting older.....and GURU is one of the MCs that added a soundtrack to our lives in the 80's and 90's.......the NAMES,PLACES and FACES come to mind when I hear a GANGSTARR track.........I thank GOD that he allowed GURU to shine in his short time...........REST IN EVERLASTING PEACE GURU

Posted by تسريحات شعر | January 20, 2011 6:36 AM

Wonderful post and the location is beautiful and elegant in design and information and everything>>> to Favorites
Amazing is an enormous understatement. One of the best electronic shows I've ever been to and I've seen well over a thousand concerts. I had no idea Vladislav Delay was as good a drummer & percussionist as he is- fabulous and he kept everything swinging with a very unique style of playing. If you missed this you missed out big time...
===================

Posted by يوتيوب القمة | February 20, 2011 9:12 PM

"I think it's the guy in the next stall.

Posted by stock market tips | May 22, 2011 11:17 PM

ull like it.. if u hate ticketmaster :D The Walking Dead - Ticketmaster Apocalypse - http://www.fanarchist.com/blog/the-walking-dead-ticketmaster-apocalypse/

Posted by The Fanarchist | June 14, 2013 5:16 AM