Posted in music | venues on April 8, 2010

view from the ferry in 2009 (more by Chris La Putt)
Governors Island

First Passion Pit & Tokyo Police Club, then M.I.A./Sleigh Bells, and then Local Natives (and I just noticed Michael Franti & Spearhead w/ Trombone Shorty). All of a sudden Bowery Presents is doing shows on Governors Island, a space that was booked last year by AEG & Highline Ballroom. Well, Highline Ballroom is still involved. I found this press release that was issued in February:

>>>>>>

The Highline Ballroom, The Bowery Presents and Mad Dog Presents, in conjunction with Water Taxi Beach, are proud to announce a new partnership to bring a large schedule and more diverse roster of concerts and performances to Governors Island. Both the free and ticketed programming at the Beach at Governors Island will be greatly expanded and there are plans to hold several large-capacity shows on Colonels' Row, the beautiful college-quad-like park located in the island's interior.

"We see Governors Island as a new opportunity to bring New York our style of concerts in a beautiful outdoor setting and are very excited about developing a new free Saturday-afternoon concert series at the Beach," said Jim Glancy of The Bowery Presents.

"The Highline Ballroom is very happy to be working with our friends at The Bowery and Mad Dog. It is a natural fit to bring together independent New York-based companies to help develop the concert landscape on Governors Island," said Toffer Christensen from The Highline Ballroom.

Shows at Colonels' Row and the Beach will be rain-or-shine, all-ages performances on beautiful Governors Island, located just 800 yards from Lower Manhattan. Tickets to all shows are available to the general public via ticketmaster.com. Programming will reflect the excellence and diversity of booking that has become the signature of both The Bowery Presents and The Highline Ballroom. Concert updates will be released as dates are added.

Beer, liquor, nonalcoholic drinks and food will be available for purchase. The ticket price to all shows will include round-trip ferry passage from the Battery Park Maritime Building to Governors Island. For more information about the ferry schedule, the series, artists and performances, general restrictions and rules, and the latest updates and additions to the lineup, visit the Beach at Governors Island's Web site at thebeachconcerts.com.

Meanwhile, AEG is now doing ticketed shows at Williamsburg Waterfront (so far Faith No More and Nas/Damian Marley).

all hail our benevolent bowery presents overlords

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2010 11:19 AM

cue irrational complaints.

Posted by Anonymoose | April 8, 2010 11:36 AM

fuck everyone! seriously. fuck you!

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2010 11:53 AM

Bowery Presents support terrorists and the sound at Governors Island is terrible. I hate the acoustics. Also what happens in the event of a Tsunami?

Posted by I am dumb and so are you | April 8, 2010 12:18 PM

What's the capacity there?

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2010 12:35 PM

Bowery Presents: showing everyone else how it's done.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2010 12:35 PM

Bowery Presents does a pretty great job w/ concerts.

And

12:18PM is hilarious.

Posted by Will | April 8, 2010 12:38 PM

A tsunami would really ruin the sightlines for the Governors Island shows.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2010 1:01 PM

hahaha... even Highline Ballroom needs Bowery Presents to survive. They couldn't book it on their own. PLEASE HELP US Bowery Presents! Pretty soon I bet Bowery will start booking Highline Ballroom itself.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2010 1:23 PM

MadDog Presents? What a meh name. Who the hell are they

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2010 2:14 PM

I'm starting a new promoter. Chinatown Presents.

Posted by neh | April 8, 2010 3:40 PM

Bowery Presents is a fucking godsend to NYC. In every other city without an independent promoter (i.e., virtually every other US city), LiveNationClearChannelShitMusic controls the radio, booking, promotions, venues, ticketing, etc. The result is the concerts are boring corporate events in soul-less venues. Except for Boston, Chicago and maybe Washington DC, every time I go to another city on vacation and look through the club listings for a decent show, there is just livenation crap to be seen. Aslo, there is no comparable events blog like brooklynvegan in other cities because, well, this isn't anything worth reporting on.

If Bowery Presents ceased to exist tomorrow, this city would be completely fucked musically.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2010 3:58 PM

I agree that it is great to have an alternative to LIVE NATION/AEG. However, I disagree that we would be "fucked musically" if BP ceased to exist. There are tons of independent promoters, the problem is that BP takes over all of them, thus on their way to becoming another LiveNation themselves.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2010 7:16 PM

7:16 I agree with the idea the BP is growing so rapidly that they could soon be financially/influentially in that AEG/Live Nation club but at least they still provide quality booking at decent prices at venues as big as MSG and their flagship, Mercury Lounge. I wanna bitch about the fact they are making money, but I still find myself at all their shows...

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2010 7:43 PM

Also, the reason there is no other site like Brooklynvegan in other cities is because Brooklyn is the only place where it is illegal to eat vegans. Ironically they taste like veal that died of sadness.

Govs Island rules. Friend dragged me to Lupe Fiasco show and I spent more time staring at the view than I did at the stage. Not a huge Lupe fan but the sound was good. I'd notice my leg would start tapping subconsciously as I admired the perfect view I had up the East and Hudson rivers.

The Island is situated so you can hear the jeans tightening in Brooklyn and simultaneously, hear a douche in an Ed Hardy shirt on the ferry back to Staten Island.

Already got my tickets to Michael Franti. Ya dig?

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2010 7:54 PM

@ 7:54 - I usually travel to a small island off Fiji once a year for the sole person of eating vegans. Hipsters are delicious.

Posted by I am dumb and so are you | April 9, 2010 7:10 AM

Governors island is horrible

Posted by Anonymous | April 9, 2010 9:08 AM

our Governor is horrible too!

Posted by Anonymous | April 9, 2010 1:19 PM

bowery presents? rly?

Posted by Anonymous | April 9, 2010 5:14 PM

Bowery Presents has some really shady business practices. Don't be fooled they are not indie and cool they are on par with Live Nation on a local level.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 1:40 PM

how about some specifics, 1:40?

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 2:01 PM