Posted in music on April 6, 2010

Atoms for Peace (jrlevine)
Atoms for Peace

Thom Yorke's new band Atoms for Peace (complete with Flea) kicked off their tour last night (4/5) at Roseland Ballroom in NYC. They play the same venue again tonight (4/6). Flying Lotus opens both nights. The setlist included a lot of songs from Thom's solo album The Eraser, both songs from the "Feeling Pulled Apart by Horses" single, and a brand new song. The full list is below.

UPDATE: Pictures are HERE.

I think Bao fell asleep editing his pictures from the show and I'm not doing so well myself, so (stay tuned for those photos and) without further ado, a few videos including the new song (called Chris Hodge/Let Me Take Control) with the entire setlist (thanks Ethan!), below...

Chris Hodge/Let Me Take Control (NEW SONG)

Atoms for Peace (Thom Yorke) @ Roseland Ballroom, NYC - 4/5/2010 setlist
01. The Eraser
02. Analyse
03. The Clock
04. Black Swan
05. Skip Divided
06. Atoms For Peace
07. And It Rained All Night
08. Harrowdown Hill
09. Cymbal Rush

Encore 1
(thom solo)
10. Chris Hodge/Let Me Take Control (NEW SONG)
11. The Daily Mail
12. Everything In It's Right Place

(full band)
13. Paperbag Writer
14. Judge, Jury & Executioner
15. Hollow Earth
16. Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses

Sorry I did fall asleep cause I was resting from such an amazing show! I'm wide awake now!

Posted by Bao | April 6, 2010 4:45 AM

i'm sorry, there was a 2nd encore section? but the house lights went up? you're killing me here.

Posted by henry | April 6, 2010 6:57 AM

Oh, durr, nm, i just remembered yeah, the encore section *was* in two parts. thx for the set list!

Posted by henry | April 6, 2010 6:58 AM

Anyone know what time they got on stage and off stage? Trying to figure out train schedules! Thanks!

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 7:15 AM

The second song (new song??? instrumental song....) was really good!

Anyone have a video of that song???

Posted by Jonny Greenwood is the man | April 6, 2010 7:16 AM

Such a great show. I love Thom Yorke so much.

Posted by Meet Is Murder | April 6, 2010 7:17 AM

Set times...if I remember correctly

Flying Lotus 8-840
Atoms for Peace 910-1030

Posted by Jonny Greenwood is the man | April 6, 2010 7:25 AM

Thanks 7:25! :)

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 7:44 AM

The show was really really good. Flying Lotus was a nice opener, but Thom and the boys really did a great job, the sound was really good aside from the speaker pops during FlyLo's set. Get there early, getting in was fine, but even at like 630 the place was 1/2 full and if you are in the back, you really not gonna see shit.

Posted by Crook from the Bronx | April 6, 2010 8:09 AM

random negative comment to balance the lovefest

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 8:18 AM

I love how people were bitching when this show was announced that the sound was going to suck....last night, Roseland sounded great as any other great venues around the city.

Coachella!

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 8:34 AM

I think people are just trained to automatically say that the sound sucks at Roseland & at Terminal 5 just b/c they prefer their GA concerts at smaller venues.

And if one of those venues provides excellent sound for a show, then it's forgotten until the next act is announced there, then the complaining starts all over again.

I'll be there tonight & I could give a shit if it's at Roseland or Beethoven's bathroom. Looking forward to it!

Posted by M | April 6, 2010 8:46 AM

Shit, I meant Beethoven's bathtub.. getting my homages to old school BV references mixed up.

Posted by M | April 6, 2010 8:47 AM

Thom Yorke without the rest of Radiohead is like Sting without the rest of the Police. Pretty awful. Blasphemy I know, but it's true.
The Eraser makes me want to slit my wrists. It is so f'ing repetitive and boring.

Radiohead has some awesome songs, but I feel like they strike out as often as they hit them out of the park, but everyone is afraid to say that they aren't the greatest band in the history of music, because that is the kind of shit that gets you yelled at at parties.

If you dare say that Muse is a more exciting live band than Radiohead (while admitting that yes Radiohead was likely a huge influence on Muse), you are some kind of asshole who must also like Nickelback and Creed.

Posted by The Mighty KC | April 6, 2010 9:00 AM

cool opinion, bro.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 9:11 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with you, MightyKC. Though I like Thom Yorke's solo stuff. I've posted similar sentiments on this site. I think Radiohead peaked early & that they released 2 or 3 totally amazing albums & 2 or 3 decent albums. I'd be hard-pressed to name them the best band on the planet, as others often have. Maybe the artists behind a couple of the greatest modern rock albums, but as a whole, their catalog is totally inconsistent & not worthy of a lot of the praise & hyperbole they receive. I remember when Amnesiac came out, my college roommates were like, jizzing all over it b/c it was Radiohead, but all I could think was, "these are the same guys that put out the Bends & OK Computer!? What the fuck?!" I still like them. I have all their albums (some I just don't listen to that often). And I'm not a fan of every Radiohead-related side project (as some fans assume they must be). But I kind of liked the Eraser. And I think it's always interesting to see them live... so I'm definitely curious about tonight's show (even though I know it's Atoms for Peace & NOT Radiohead).

Posted by M | April 6, 2010 9:18 AM

What time did will call open on Monday? I have to meet someone who sold me tickets and would love to know. Thanks, pumped for the show!

Posted by mc | April 6, 2010 9:25 AM

The website says doors open at 6pm. I'm assuming that's when will call opens too.

Posted by M | April 6, 2010 9:28 AM

"I love Thom Yorke so much."

...

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 9:34 AM

I wish Yorke would have picked a better bassist to play with for this project

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 9:45 AM

80 minutes? That's it? Lazy bastards...

Posted by smack | April 6, 2010 9:49 AM

not really will-call.

u swipe the cc u used to purchase your tix upon entry. so, no sweat.

and sound for flying lotus did blow. speakers couldnt handle the bass.

and there were a couple of minor issues with feedback in the beginning of the main set.

Posted by v | April 6, 2010 9:58 AM

BROSLAND, here I come!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 10:15 AM

I felt last night had a bell curve element when it came to the energy of the show. Maybe it was the first night of tour but I felt it came off a bit slow in my opinion. It built in energy - especially when flea started to get funky. Then I I got a bit bored towards the end. All in all, I had a good time.

I got there around 7 worrying that there would be a big line. Do not do that, you have plenty of time to get in. You may be towards the back but standing around for an 1.5 hours a bit of a drag

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 10:16 AM

Can't waiiiiiitttttttttt for tonight!!! Been a fan of Radiohead and Thom for a few years now and have been itching to see him live!

Posted by Chris | April 6, 2010 10:20 AM

The concert was really cool, but opening - Flying Lotus was more like an attempt to damage my ears. Ok, nice beats for first 10 minutes, but then it was simply 'getting old'...

Posted by gogo | April 6, 2010 10:21 AM

10:16 is spot on...

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 10:32 AM

I was a skeptic at first. I like The Eraser record, but it's admittedly kind of boring. Seeing Atoms for Peace live totally brings that record to life. I hate everything and I was blown away last night. The sound in Roseland usually is pretty bad, but aside from a few flaws last night it sounded good.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 10:41 AM

What was the merch situation? Shirts, vinyl? Eh?

Posted by Anonymoose | April 6, 2010 10:52 AM

Fell asleep from a show that ended at 10:30?

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 11:09 AM

How was the ticketless ticketing situation? I was wondering if I can pick up my tickets at 6pm and come back later for the main set.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 11:17 AM

pretty good show with some great moments and some really dull ones - it's interesting enough electronic music - but thom yorke die-hards act like it's the second coming of christ. Fans were karaoking all the Eraser jams full voice - and you know those songs aren't meant to be sung like it's some sort of stadium show- it sorta changes the vibe into something weird - which was my problem with the show - just too much going on at once.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 11:23 AM

Flying Lotus vid in HD...Atoms vids coming soon http://vimeo.com/10718103

Posted by Raffi Asdourian | April 6, 2010 11:40 AM

Merch:

For atoms for peace:
Two tees black or cream with atoms fr peace logo on front and tour dates on d back
A sweet poster & a water bottle...

Flying lotus had a really nice t as well...

Also then yea they had eraser on vinyl and d jap remix album & EP on cd

Think that was it, enjoy the show!

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 11:51 AM

who else caught michael stipe's rocking stash and hug with thom?

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 11:53 AM

"Fans were karaoking all the Eraser jams full voice - and you know those songs aren't meant to be sung like it's some sort of stadium show- it sorta changes the vibe into something weird"

Completely agree. I hate when that happens at any show. When I saw Fuck Buttons people next to me were just YELLING along with the songs. Fuck you, not your performance, stop

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 12:00 PM

Roseland doesn't sound bad if you are up front. In the back, especially under the balcony/next to the bar, the sound is terrible. The sound is much better than at Terminal 5.

No problems with sightlines at either venue.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 12:05 PM

Atoms played from 9:10 - 10:30? Is that accurate?

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 12:12 PM

Yeah, pretty accurate, they may have ended closer to 10:40.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 12:17 PM

was there any FlyLo or Thom Yorke vinyl for sale?

Posted by i like records | April 6, 2010 12:36 PM

There was a AFP poster, a couple basic shirts for dudes and chicks, and a FL shirt which I think is the cover of the new record. No music, as far as I saw.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 12:40 PM

thanks sir. i am low on cash and not drinking tonight, needed to plan an ATM visit if there was music to be had.

Posted by i like records | April 6, 2010 12:57 PM

Fun show that was way oversold. Maybe the best way to get Roseland shut down is to report it for violation of fire code. That fucking railing in the back, right in the middle, is amazingly dangerous.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 12:57 PM

They were selling The Eraser on vinyl.

There was a Flying Lotus poster too that he was signing after the show and Flying Lotus rolling papers 2 for $5.

There was also an Atoms For Peace water bottle similar to the Radiohead water bottles they were selling during the last tour.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 1:37 PM

Our Lady Peace > Atoms for Peace

got to get one of them water bottles...

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 2:25 PM

^^
disagree with several things you wrote here. I don't think Thom w/ out Radiohead is awful and last night was a perfect example of why. that show was great on so many different levels. I can't believe how tight entire band was bringing those songs to life. also, the Eraser is an electronic record, calling it repetitive is like going out to a techno party and asking everyone what's with all the beats? and, Radiohead "was likely" an influence on the Muse, more like the only influence. please, no more Police/Radiohead analogies. that's the type of shit that should get you yelled at parties...

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 2:37 PM

if i have fan club/waste tickets, do i lineup in the same line or is there a separate will call line?

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 2:46 PM

There's a separate line for pre-sale tickets. A bunch of pre-sale ticketholders who had been there since early in the morning got totally screwed over because of it. The will-call lines were completely unorganized and a lot of people got held up.

Last night, pre-sale ticketholders had to go on the line to the left. I'd expect it to be the same tonight.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 4:21 PM

Very cool show. The most melancholy live band dance music you are likely to hear with Flea ~ and let's not forget Joey Waronker on drums ~ keeping it really funky. When he wasn't locked into his piano down stage right, Thom let loose a lot with his speedy hobbit dancing. Very complex rhythms that cannot be easy to execute live were pulled off with aplomb. It took a couple of songs for T.Y.'s sound man to successfully wrestle Roseland's system into submission but he got there eventually. One of rock's great all time vocalists can not ever be "too loud" in my book and they managed to crank it up to nearly satisfactory levels. Nearly. And Flea's obvious stage comfort let Thom dig into the dark corner on the keys while Flea filled up the energy center-stage so the vibe never had a chance to slip.

It was the first show back from a break and Thom hinted that they started a little rusty but that only seemed to motivate the band to bring it harder as the show went on and they collectively had pumped out a wiry kinetic dance vibe awash in subtle, edgy sound effects from Radiohead/Beck producer, Nigel Godrich. Who also made a rare appearance at the foot of the stage on guitar in lock-step with Thom and Flea at one point during the encore.

Ah yes, the encore. It was really more like a 2nd set and it was powerful. Thom's solo songs kicked it off and included some very promising new material. My guess is that he felt that starting rusty in NYC is a no no & calls for a major intensity uptick and that arrived with the surprise inclusion of a totally stripped down, solo piano performance of "Everything In Its Right Place" which sent aftershocks of approval throughout the cavernous room. As an unapologetic Radiohead follower, I had never heard that song or any "Kid A" song for that matter played live in such a raw, bare bones manner and it was a show-stopper. A career highlight for me. Hearing that song without loops, synths, or fx was very cool. And if that wasn't enough, the full band reemerged and dropped a sick version of the Radiohead "Hail to the Thief" B-side, "Paperbag Writer" which is total red meat for Flea's funk mill.

Hard not to consider this a landmark show ~ for Radiohead fans at least ~ seeing Thom Yorke open up and let loose with a little less regard for getting it perfect and to see him collaborate with top musicians outside of his own band. There on 52nd St. in New York City on a warm spring night. And this mini-tour will only serve to keep Thom in fighting form as Radiohead go about finishing their follow-up to "In Rainbows".

I recommend you find a way into Roseland tonight if you can.

Posted by Todd Simmons | April 6, 2010 4:28 PM

There were manhole explosions by Roseland this afternoon. Wonder how much that fucked up the line.

Hope nobody got hurt.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 6:21 PM

great show! thom, flea, all great, the new stuff was really good too. cant compare AFP to Radiohead, i'm afraid, different bands enjoy this for what it is, 1.5 hrs of great music. rosland def not my fav place to see a show but better the t5,

Posted by jonathan | April 6, 2010 6:28 PM

FLAMES IN A MANHOLE

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 7:43 PM

Trying to get a press pass for Flying Lotus/AFP this Saturday in Chicago... anyone know how to get in touch with PR for either artist?

Posted by jermaine | April 7, 2010 12:44 AM

Muse is better than Radiohead. This is especially true live. But we're not talking about Radiohead here. That said, this was a good show, I like the way the songs were rearranged. Crowd was a bit lame though...

Posted by reese | April 7, 2010 2:38 PM

^^
you are so lost. on lyrical content alone this argument is put to bed...

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 3:55 PM

Muse is better than Radiohead. This is especially true live.
^^^

Keep dreaming fan-delusional. The day Matt Bellamy writes songs as Thom Yorke does, maybe, MAYBE, he will get near his little toes. Five albums already and Muse doesn't have one single classic song. Not even a Creep, or a No Surprises. Not even an Anyone Can Play Guitar or a The Bends. Much less one A Wolf At The Door, Jigsaw or Videotape. Will never have an Idioteque or an EIIRP. Period. And Radiohead is pretty perfect live. They don't need catchy guitar riffs to fool the audience so they can't pay attention to the shit lyrics and mop songs they are hearing.

Posted by mark | April 8, 2010 10:38 AM

Hey Mark - Calling me delusional without knowing me is pretty lame. As far as classic Muse songs are concerned, checkout Muscle Museum, Sunburn, Bliss, Newborn, Plug in Baby, Citizen Erased, Hysteria, Butterflies and Hurricanes, Knights of Cydonia, shall I go on? Bellamy is one talented dude, and that's not me being a fangirl. Let's try to be adults and not throw around any insults.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2010 11:15 AM

To Mark and other Muse haters - in addition to my suggestions above also check out a b-side called Dead Star. Lyrical content? Please. Get over yourself. And Bellamy's guitar riffs are brilliant. Don't be jealous, its not becoming.

Posted by reese | April 8, 2010 11:22 AM

Citizen Erased, isn't that the name of a Radiohead B-side...hehe

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2010 3:39 PM

you really don't have a arguement here. I've read the lead singer for the Muse get quoted saying that RH is and has been a major influence for them. closed case.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2010 3:44 PM

Muse sucks, keep trying

Posted by Anonymous | April 9, 2010 2:21 AM

Are you friggin' kidding me? Muse KILLS it live! No contest. And Thom doesn't hide behind Bellamy like riffs because he can't.

Posted by Bret | April 9, 2010 2:22 AM

To: M | April 6, 2010 9:18 AM

when you heard Amnesiac you said "all I could think was, 'these are the same guys that put out the Bends & OK Computer!? What the fuck?!'" and said that they are "inconsistent", its true, they are very inconsisten with their sounds, but that is why many people love them so much. Your not getting fed the same stuff every album. They are not scared to experiment with new ideas and sounds and it totally works for them. They evolve as time goes on unlike most bands. 99% of other bands have 1 sound and they stick with it cuz thats what works and thats why they die out eventually. People get bored without change. The beatles are one of, if not, the biggest bands to date and they were deffinately not consistent with all of the way their albums sound. So just because YOU think a band has to have a consistent sound for their album catalog to be concidered "not worthy of a lot of the praise" doesnt mean everyone else who listens to em feels the same. Take your negative opinions somewhere else to a board full of people who dont like thom and radiohead. People here dont wanna hear it.

Posted by Pete | April 11, 2010 4:04 AM