Posted in music on April 7, 2010

Flea night 1 (looked the same night 2) @ Roseland (more by Bao Nguyen)
Flea

"An underground fire caused chaos in midtown Tuesday afternoon, sending flames into the streets, shutting down Broadway shows, and leaving hundreds of tourists without a place to stay. At about 4:30 pm a transformer fire burnt three 13,000 volt cables, causing a three-alarm fire. Over a 130 firefighters rushed to the scene to put out the flames. Amazingly, there were no reports of injuries. Among the four buildings that had to be evacuated was the Novotel Hotel after high levels of carbon monoxide were detected in the basement. FDNY Deputy Chief Jay Jonas told WPIX that the levels reached as high as 700 parts per million, which is enough to "kill someone with just a few breaths." Tuesday night's performance of Jersey Boys was also canceled due to the fire." [Huffington Post]
Jersey Boys is right next door to Roseland Ballroom where Atoms For Peace did end up playing their second of two NYC shows last night (4/6). It almost didn't happen. There was at least an hour or two where the venue wasn't sure if they were going to have to postpone it. 52st street was closed and it was madness around the venue - even after the show the street was still closed (people were herded out along the sidewalk as cops made sure that nobody hopped the barrier and went into the street). To get in to the show, which ended up opening hours late, people had to enter through the 53rd Street back door. Ironically, all tickets were will call to keep away scalpers. That meant thousands of people had to start checking in not long before the opener was originally scheduled to start. Some people waited hours, but luckily set times ended up being pushed back an hour. I missed Flying Lotus who played while many people were still stuck on the street. Thom Yorke, Flea, Joey Waronker, Mauro Refosco and Nigel Godrich (aka Atoms for Peace) took the stage to an extremely packed house at 10:03.

Not one for many words, Thom Yorke (and band) immediately started playing his solo album The Eraser from start to finish. I was anticipating some funny commentary from Thom on the craziness that preceded their set, but all we got was a quick (not an exact quote) "interesting afternoon, huh?" after the 2nd song (which i think he followed with something like, "my friend texted me and said he was drinking all day and tired and that I should hurry up and start playing"). After the nine song album, the band left the stage and Thom came back and did three songs solo (guitar and piano) including Kid A's "Everything In It's Right Place" which got the loudest cheers of the night. It was one of a few Radiohead songs in the setlist (they also played "Fog" and "Paperback Writer") (there were no Red Hot Chili Peppers songs) (but it would have been kind of awesome if they actually did play one). Thom's other solo song was a cover of Mark Mulcahy's "All the Best" which he recorded for that recent tribute album. He reportedly never performed that one live before which was also true about the new song he played at the first show (but not play again at this one).

Like the night before, the full band came back for the last four songs. Relatively speaking, Thom started to get more talkative at that point, but the banter was basically limited to naming the song they were about to play and mentioning that we might be able to buy the recent single (from which they played both songs again to close the show). Speaking of buying, the ticket price was expensive, $40 t-shirts are a disgrace, it was a major pain getting in (not anyone's fault), and the whole show was only about 80-85 minutes (Wilco's recent shows in NJ were each longer than both nights of Thom combined - I know, they have much more material). Those details were definitely all a little off-putting, but the show itself was great. Watching and listening to Thom perform is definitely something special. Throw in Flea on bass and you have two very dynamic (and talented) characters sharing a stage in what felt like a rare treat complete with a super tight supporting band and colorful light show.

Pictures from the first night HERE. Videos from the show, of the line, of the manhole exploding, and the full setlist below...

part of the line

05 Skip Divided
06 Atoms For Peace
07 And It Rained All Night
08 Harrowdown Hill
09 Cymbal Rush

'Encore"
10 All For The Best (solo)
11 Fog (solo)
12 Everything In Its Right Place (solo)
13 Paperbag Writer
14 Judge, Jury and Executioner
15 The Hollow Earth
16 Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses

Compare that to the setlist from NIGHT ONE. More Pictures from the first show HERE. Tour dates HERE.

pretty sick show. fog was a nice surprise

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 11:43 AM

I don't agree that it's "not anyone's fault." Roseland could have handled the situation much better and the paperless ticketing made things a drag too.

Posted by jacob | April 7, 2010 11:49 AM

Wilco is always a better show.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 11:53 AM

If by "sick" you mean terrible, I agree.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 11:53 AM

really quite good. didn't expect so many smokers ahahaha. i was a little exhausted from standing though, would of made my whole listening/watching experience better. nonetheless, glad the fire was taken care of.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 11:54 AM

It was an enjoyable show. Still if Thom had not made a name with Radiohead, 95% of people, who "loved" the show, would have negative things to say about it, had they seen the show by chance. Band was tight and performed well, but the material was mediocre at best.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 11:55 AM

I just posted this in the old topic, but here are the other three vids I took besides Fog above:

Harrowdown Hill - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWTrAXKYVTw

And It Rained All Night - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDe00M5LNIw

The Clock - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsBswD7NV9c

Posted by popartist | April 7, 2010 11:56 AM

^^^ Spot on.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 12:03 PM

I'm a huge Radiohead fan. I thought the show last night sucked. Sorry fan-boys. I gotta call a spade a spade here.

Posted by Jables | April 7, 2010 12:06 PM

Thought it was pretty epic. Surprised some people were disappointed. The line sucked and my legs were on fire, but both Flying Lotus and Atoms for Peace were amazing and worth the wait.

Posted by Chris | April 7, 2010 12:11 PM

Dont see how you could have been disappointed. If you dont think Fog is a good song, something is wrong with you. The show was awesome and way above mediocre. It was better live than the album.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 12:16 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 12:27 PM

It was worth the wait and with a full house present was totally feeling the good vibes.

Posted by O | April 7, 2010 12:28 PM

Went to the afterparty at Bowery Hotel. Yorke, Stipe, John Legend, ?uestlove, Flea and others in the house.

Posted by I am cool | April 7, 2010 12:35 PM

glad u mentioned Animal Collective. Very relevant comment.

Posted by oh sure | April 7, 2010 12:36 PM

I think the show would have been a lot better if it happened to be in a decent venue. Roseland has horrible sound, especially when you are stuck under the balcony with hundreds of douche bags who think they like thom and the eraser and found themselves quite surprised that they didn't play creep. yorke, flea, godrich, etc... amazing talent. Just wish they were in a decent venue.

Posted by sammy | April 7, 2010 12:40 PM

was it the best show ever? no. was it the best show of the year? probably not. was it worth it to see thom yorke play a show with flea from the chili peppers, plus a few rare songs. hell fucking yeah. haters gonna hate.

Posted by marc | April 7, 2010 12:42 PM

Yeah, Animal Collective are SOOOOO 2009!!!! God!!! I can't believe anyone would still listen to them! (Which band are we jizzing all over now?)

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 12:45 PM

So wait, if i didn't like the show i'm a hipster? But if liked it I'm l33t? Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
The fact that I'm not a hipster allows me to say that I paid $125+ for two tickets to a show that disappointed. I would guess a huge percentage of the people could barely view the stage and the sound was abysmal. Besides the environmental issues, the eraser is just not as good as any radiohead album. And yes I liked fog, its a radiohead song. Yes, AFP made a few of the eraser songs much more interesting live, but it still doesn't stack up to even the worst radiohead songs.
Ya, I can appreciate the talent of everyone up on stage, but check out the setlist Thom did truly solo back in Feb. I think everyone would agree they would haev traded this setlist with just thom a guitar and a piano.

01 The Clock

19 True Love Waits

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 12:52 PM

12:36 in Hipster Land (this place), Animal Collective are always relevant

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 12:52 PM

Mehdoms for Peace

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 12:56 PM

Really awesome show. Some moments were Radiohead-level spectacular, some moments sorta sucked. The lights were incredible, as was Flea. Tons of Thom's patented Yorke-gasms.

Good times.

Posted by keith | April 7, 2010 1:05 PM

@12:27 youre just jealous because theyre all in Bushwick and youre back in Ohio.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 1:11 PM

Leave it for people that actually appreciates music.....

Posted by It's true! | April 7, 2010 1:28 PM

the line was fun, very cool crowd, made new friends. better than standing inside clastrophbic venue for hours.
by 6:50pm we knew the show goes on.
gotta give it to roseland, they've worked very nice this time!

Posted by me | April 7, 2010 1:37 PM

Posted by sat | April 7, 2010 1:42 PM

thom isn't a very friendly person but I like his voice

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 1:43 PM

"Obviously people who are saying negative things are hipsters that live in Bushwick...and they think MGMT, Animal Collective, Dan Deacon, Crystal Castles, and all those garbage bands are better live than Radiohead or Atoms for Peace."

Christ. Can't people just have an opinion anymore? Why does everyone who disagrees with you have to have some kind of hipster agenda? I loved the show last night but I don't believe for one minute that everybody should like the same music as me and I certainly don't think that liking Animal Collective and living in Brooklyn preclude you from liking Radiohead or Atoms For Peace.

Hipsters are an easy target for criticism but I think most concertgoers are more irked by people who believe their taste in music is superior to everyone else's.

Get off your high horse and face it: you're probably a douchebag too.

Posted by Ross | April 7, 2010 1:50 PM

Wilco is boring and for boring people. Thom is ace.

Posted by Mark | April 7, 2010 2:01 PM

it was so much more amazing than the first night. and yes, recycled t-shirt that are environmentally conscious are a bit more pricey who cares? if it puts you off of buying one is less waste

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 2:10 PM

^^
how did it suck? need reasons here guys...

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 2:15 PM

the show last night ROCKED. honestly anyone who said it wasn't a good show or they were disappointed must be a real wannabe music snob. i'm sure they got the new killers album tho and its playing on repeat.

Posted by orngfan | April 7, 2010 2:26 PM

2:01 I was at both Wilco and Atoms for Peace and I enjoyed the Wilco show way more. Nels Kline is in the zone and they played for over 3 hours 37 songs! No competition. Thom was singing sloppy on Tuesday and the sound in Roseland sucks and they oversold the venue...I still love Radiohead though!

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 2:29 PM

^^
wrong. the Eraser is not mediocre material. I believe that it's one of the best "side projects" I've heard to date. and, to underrate what they did as a band to bring those songs to life is f'ing crime. everyone that has been to their fair share of live shows, knows how hard it is to find a band that outplays recorded material. that is exactly what happened here, to say the least. . .

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 2:33 PM

^^
different kinds of music being compared here. The Eraser is very much so a electronic record, that is beat driven. apples and oranges here guys. I think if you think about it in the appropriate musical context you'll think about it differently.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 2:45 PM

Sure it is different music but I didn't get the warm fuzzy feeling when I left the Atoms for Peace show...some was due to the performance a good portion was due to the venue!

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 2:48 PM

I'm a huge Radiohead fan, and I really enjoyed the show last night. Watching Thom and Flea on stage, in of itself, was worth the price of admission.

People should appreciate how experimental that show was. Radiohead certainly push the envelope on some of their albums, but last night was a completely different experience. Tribal-techno with Flea on bass and Thom singing. C'mon people...how many times will that type of experience occur?

Also, I thought the Roseland staff were cool and did a great job lettting everyone in quickly, once they were cleared to do so. The crowd was also a lot of fun.

And now, on to LCD at MHofW!!!!

Posted by Dan | April 7, 2010 2:52 PM

"f-ing amazing show! walked right in b/c befriended security the night before (pd $30 total in tips, WELL WORTH IT!) sat in mezz, eventually in vip, and danced the night away with thom. i'm still flying!"

You "tipped" thugs that shouldn't even be accepting tips?!! Was that "tipping" done on your knees? Could you be more of a douche?

Come down to Earth, Sat - you're a complete ass. Fuck you.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 3:43 PM

umm, no, FUCK YOU! don't take your amateur shit out on me. had the time of my life and thought i'd share how one can work their way through a show. no bragging, more like giving a heads up. and ah no you f-ing ahole, no need to be on my knees, just a friendly disposition is all it takes, something you're obviously oblivious to!

Posted by sat | April 7, 2010 4:03 PM

radiohead sucks. booooooring.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 4:47 PM

"People who complain all the time on BV boards are mostly hipsters that just started listening to Animal Collective after Strawberry Jam or Merriweather.....they just think by going to shitty todd p shows every wk, they're seeing great shows. They wouldn't understand bands like Atoms for Peace.

Leave it for people that actually appreciates music....."
^^
Oh great sage, thank you for your infinite wisdom and musical insight. Just to clarify, if someone doesn't like Atoms for Peace they don't appreciate music? What does Thom's dick taste like?

Your holier than thou attitude is obnoxious and might have something to do with you have no friends. And this is coming from a person that hates Animal Collective.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 4:58 PM

"a friendly disposition"

...and $30.

Amateur? Only an "amateur" (and an ass) would give corrupt security $30 worth of bribes to secure a better vantage point! FUCK YOU, you cocksucking ASSHOLE (my apologies to all of the non-asshole fellators out there)!

Your "friendly disposition" counts for nothing when you throw your cash (more likely, Mommy and Daddy's) at people that should simply be doing their JOBS, which they already receive compensation for.

There's nothing wrong with making an extra effort to stake-out a nice spot for a concert/show, but the way you went about it proves that you are indeed a V.ery (self-)I.mportant P.rick.

Go die, and take your wallet with you.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 5:06 PM

Can't we all just get along?

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 5:28 PM

Sure - all it'll take is a "friendly disposition" and thirty dollars cash money.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 5:46 PM

No one's gonna talk about the $40 shirts? LAME.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 7:06 PM

FIGHTING ABOUT MUSIC GRRRRR. Last night was amazing. I can understand being disappointed if you were stuck under the balcony, but besides that, no way.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 7:26 PM

Well, there were many things working against the gig, Roseland itself being the main one. The security staff is clueless and they had no clean way of handling the paperless ticket situation and the line BEFORE the manhole fire disrupted everything so by the time most people arrived it was madness. No direction from the venue on where to line up, etc. and attitude when you asked what was going on. Once AFP finally came on stage most people had been standing on a non-moving line outside the venue for over two hours. Nobody's exactly ready to listen to music at that point.

But the other problem with the gig was the macho arena versions of these delicate tracks from The Eraser, the best and most consistent record Thom Yorke has done. The gig took the beauty of the minimal arrangements and traded them for hugeness (and Flea - he was charming when he had blue hair and bounced around like that when he was 20 but now he just looks like a clown and overplays every chance he gets). Thom Yorke is used to playing MSG so I guess for him 3,500 people in a converted ice rink with marginal acoustics is intimate.

Something felt dishonest about most of the performance. Either he doesn't understand why his own record is so wonderful or he is really a stadium act at heart. Yorke with a piano and a drum machine would have been great. PJ Harvey performed at Beacon totally solo and it was one of the best gigs I've ever seen. He's certainly as talented as her so the fact he opted for something much less rewarding is disappointing.

"Atoms for Peace", the song itself, was the only one that retained the sublime feeling of the recording. Also when he winningly played "Everything in its Right Place" at the piano you could feel what the gig could have been had he been true to the vibe of his own solo record. The light show was cool too. So the show wasn't terrible but it wasn't one for the ages.

But the final indignity the fans had to suffer, after the endless line, and the zero visibility due to hot-dog-smelling-sticky floor-Roseland being a waste for anyone under 6 feet tall, were the $40 t-shirts and $25 water bottles. What the hell is that all about? Isn't Yorke constantly posting items about the evils of corporations and didn't he used to bring "No Logo" to interviews? $40 effin t-shirts? Really?

Posted by John | April 7, 2010 7:57 PM

Anon 7:06
Did you not read the article? "$40 t-shirts are a disgrace"
What more needs to be said?

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 8:37 PM

i like cheese

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 9:41 PM

Everyone delete "hipster" from your vocabulary. We'll all be better off.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 9:52 PM

"ever feel like youve been cheated".........morons

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 10:22 PM

Thom Yorke's penis tastes like a rainy Saturday afternoon.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 11:35 PM

Music is so 2009. Sitting quietly is where it's at.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 11:36 PM

Well there were many things working against the gig, Roseland itself being the main one. The security staff is clueless and they had no clean way of handling the paperless ticket situation and the line BEFORE the manhole fire disrupted everything so by the time most people arrived it was madness. No direction from the venue on where to line up, etc. and attitude when you asked what was going on. Once AFP finally came on stage most people had been standing on a non-moving line outside the venue for over two hours. Nobody's exactly ready to listen to music at that point.

But the final indignities the fans had to suffer, after the endless line, and the zero visibility due to hot-dog-smelling-sticky floor-Roseland being a waste for anyone under 6 feet tall, were the $40 t-shirts and $25 water bottles. What the hell was that all about? Isn't Yorke constantly posting items about the evils of corporations and didn't he used to bring "No Logo" to interviews? $40 effin t-shirts? Really?

Posted by John | April 8, 2010 12:29 AM

All of you complainers sound like you were raised in a mall or are eighty years old.  Guess what?  This is NYC where even in the best of times you have to be prepared for the unexpected with a modicum of humor and an ability to improvise. If you don't like Roseland, don't go to shows there. If you don't like Thom Yorke's work without Radiohead, wait for the next tour. And for god's sake don't compare him to Jeff tweedy. An odious and superficial comparison if there ever was one.  Atoms did a great show and expanded on Eraser's framework a thousnd fold. Thom is a great and dedicated performer and he cannot be accused of doing a call-in unless you just weren't paying attention or got too f'ed waiting in line to know the difference.  Generosity to your audience has nothing to do with banter. Re: the tshirts:  create a demand for recycled, fair trade and the price will go down. Besides you paid, at least 55 dollars for the ticket.   If you can't handle urban reality, stay home with your computer or stay in the suburbs.

Posted by Anom. | April 8, 2010 2:11 AM

I agree with 9:41. Pepper jack's my favorite

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2010 9:49 AM

i think flying lotus's rolling papers are the best thing i've ever bought

Posted by imkoreansowhat | April 8, 2010 12:20 PM

@ "$40 t-shirts and $25 water bottles. What the hell is that all about? Isn't Yorke constantly posting items about the evils of corporations and didn't he used to bring "No Logo" to interviews? $40 effin t-shirts? Really?"

Finally - someone dares to say it!!! the musics...ok... but what a bunch of yuppie c**ts the band are. thom yorke has you hipster fanboys by the balls and you keep paying him for more!

Posted by lbind | April 8, 2010 10:07 PM