Posted in music | tour dates on April 13, 2010

Wayne Coyne @ ATP NY 2009 (more by Ryan Muir)
Wayne Coyne

The Flaming Lips have revealed they're in talks with Des McAnuff to turn their hit 2002 album Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots into a theatrical spectacular.

Frontman Wayne Coyne tells WENN, "We've talked about doing something with Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots now for about five or six years. They did it with Tommy and Des McAnuff was the director, and he's the one that wants to do Yoshimi.

"We've actually pursued it to a certain extent and I think that where it sits is really just me deciding to dedicate a couple of years of my life to making it.

"It's a strange opportunity but I know we've talked about it since 2003. We would incorporate all the songs and probably write some other music that told a little bit more of a story. I guess my biggest dilemma is there's not really a story with Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots; it's just a series of unconnected songs that sound connected when you listen.

"That being said, I don't think it would be overly impossible to draw some connections and come up with some type of emotional storyline." [WENN]

The Flaming Lips will be playing in NYC this July with a show at Central Park SummerStage. That's already sold out, but way before that they have that April 19th show at Wellmont Theatre in Monclair, NJ, (just six days from now) which despite being listed as sold out still has tickets available at the moment. Also in April they have a few other shows - outside the NYC-area, but not that far. Lots of road trip opportunities.

They play Mid Hudson Civic Center in Poughkeepsie (put on by Vassar College) on Saturday, April 17th - tickets are still on sale. Stardeath & White Dwarfs open both the Vassar show and Wellmont, and The Hood Internet play Vassar too. Between those, Flaming Lips perform in Ithaca (Cornell University's Barton Hall to be exact).

The same month as the Central Park show, Flaming Lips have other New York State/New Jersey gigs: July 4th at Atlantic City House of Blues (tickets), July 22nd at ArtPark in Lewiston, NY, near Buffalo (tickets), and July 23rd on an awesome bill with Black Keys and Morning Benders (together in NYC later in July) at CMAC Performing Arts Center in Canandaigua, NY, south of Rochester (tickets).

All Flaming Lips tour dates and more are below...

Supersonic Portrait of Wayne Coyne

Jun 06 Eleanor Tinsley Park Houston, Texas
Jun 11 Bonnaroo Music Festival Manchester, Tennessee
Jul 03 Nateva Music & Arts Festival Oxford, Maine
Jul 04 House of Blues Atlantic City Atlantic City, New Jersey
Jul 06 Lupos, Providence, RI
Jul 22 Artpark Lewiston, New York
Jul 23 Constellation Brands Marvin Sands Performing Arts Center Canandaigua, New York
Jul 24 Mountain Park Holyoke, Massachusetts
Jul 26 Central Park SummerStage New York, New York

they're also playing Lupos in Providence, RI on July 6. matt & kim open.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 1:21 PM

"they're also playing Lupos"

updated, thx

Posted by brooklynvegan | April 13, 2010 1:26 PM

I really hope the freshen up their setlist and show...same stunts, setlists and gags for the last 9 years! That being said I will be at the Wellmont show!

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 2:09 PM

i havent seen those stunts for three years now so im hoping they repeat them

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 2:22 PM

I feel bad for the sucker that bought my overpriced tickets on stubhub for the wellmont gig

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 2:31 PM

I feel bad for the sucker who sold his Flaming Lips tickets on Stubhub because he needed rent money.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 2:40 PM

Flamehng lips

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 2:48 PM

I read somewhere that Aaron Sorkin was attached to this to write the book. Which is just ridiculous enough to be plausible. I know Mr. Sorkin liked his psychotropics, so there might be that connection....

Posted by unclaimed smegma | April 13, 2010 3:24 PM

I'm ready for Monday night in Montclair!

Posted by GW | April 13, 2010 3:34 PM

just checked Wellmont site, and indeed tickets are still available
hope they do not oversell that place

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 4:00 PM

any ideas what time flaming lips will come on stage? my friend mighgt make me get to the venue at around 9, just wanna make sure i want get fucked over cause of him otherwise ill just go ahead...

woot!

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2010 2:02 PM

Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie were really good albums. Got them when they came out, still throw them on at times and think they're great. It saddens me when I hear bands from that era when I was a teenager and hear their new stuff and it's so clear how they've lost it, they sound desperate to recapture a sound/magic that they haven't had in 15 years (holy shit).... And then I realize that is not unlike a lot of us.

Posted by منتديات | January 22, 2011 8:33 AM

The Flaming Lips musical idea was a good one but the implementation was wrong. The movie was never published. We must go just to the concerts because the musical idea was failed. However, Flaming Lips are one of my favorite bands of the moment.

Posted by cazare predeal | March 14, 2011 11:03 AM

The musical idea was one of the most inspired things of the moment but the guys seems to have some implementation problems. The manager must take some measures if they want to produce the musical. I hope the Flaming Lips will have more success in the future.

Posted by Hotel Bucuresti | March 17, 2011 9:42 AM

Posted by Cazare Busteni | August 21, 2012 1:52 PM

i love this site very good

Posted by Cazare Predeal | September 20, 2012 3:48 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

MOMMY, LOOK AT ALL THE ROBOTS!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 20, 2012 4:05 PM