Posted in music | pictures on April 5, 2010

photos by Brian Reilly

Girls

"GIRLS doesn't yet have the power to sell-out Webster Hall, a feat fellow indie giants BEACH HOUSE accomplished in days. But it sure as shit looked like they sold that bitch out, the last row's backs were mashed against the bar. And with good reason. GIRLS 2009 LP Album is packed tight with authentic 60s-touched pop songs spanning all sorts of genres. Christopher Owens is as enigmatic a frontman as you will probably ever find, and Chet White freezes his bass his lines are so cool. Yeah, it's pretty obvious why Webster Hall nearly filled to capacity. Most of the show was pretty slow, and I'll be honest I wish I had a nice couch that shit would have been raw. But it was kinda worth it to stand for the moments when GIRLS straight blew-up onstage. GIRLS does bounce between genres, and they land on slow jams more often than not. But they also stop on land mines, and nowhere is that more evident than on Lust For Life, which is so clearly their best song it's just so phenomenal. And GIRLS just can't help but be GIRLS, putting flowers all over the stage (flowers are kinda their signature) and having a frontman who's legit a little bit crazy. During Lust For Life, Owens lowered his guitar and slung his left leg over the neck, while still playing, as he sang "instead I'm just crazy, I'm totally mad." Yeah." [Right Hear]
Girls and Dum Dum Girls are on tour together. That tour took over Webster Hall for a few hours on Saturday night (4/3). Cambridge's Leisure opened the show (like they'll do four more times on the tour). More pictures from it, and some videos, below...

Girls...

Girls

These guys are pretty much a lock for the Pool Parties. Right guys?

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 4:21 PM

Is that review serious? I love Album and am a huge supporter of the Girls surge, but the show fucking sucked. I'd never seen them live and unfortunately I don't think I will again. The breaks between songs were so uncomfortable and boring that I was actually wishing for the mindless banter that usually makes me cringe. I sincerely hope that the reason the band was so pedestrian and unimaginative was because they were bugged out on some wicked pills. Otherwise, give me a fucking break - even Lifehouse could make my heart beat faster. I've never seen a more tired crowd, commenting on how the Rickenbacker had a "lovely tone" and how expensive the drinks were nowadays.

As for the contributors - the Girls bassist (only other official member) looked like he was playing "cool dad" all night. Bomber jacket, swaying his hips to the music like he was really diggin' this new rock 'n roll sound. The drummer - oh, the drummer. I pray to God this was forced upon the band by the label. If he would've twirled his drumsticks one more time I may have shit my pants. I was very close. So many songs on Album are minimal and that works for them, but each song the drummer came in and started some generic cover-band beat that did nothing but take attention away from the guitars/vocals. So many dudes in bands need to realize that they don't always have to be playing to contribute.

Girls didn't play "Summertime". That's one of the hits. In its place, they played 5-6 slow, uneventful, fairly standard pieces that pushed me more and more towards my comfortable bed (the show ended at just 10pm). It felt at times like I was at an awkward early 60's homecoming dance. Sigh, I'll quit bitching now.

I missed Dum Dum Girls. I'm really pissed I missed them - it would've been the highlight of the night, even if they sucked.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 4:50 PM

^^
Best second opinion ever

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 4:54 PM

Boys are better

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 4:57 PM

yea i felt kinda sleepy during the show

Posted by jaggga | April 5, 2010 4:57 PM

that blog you linked to has the worst writing. like written by some frat boy

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 4:57 PM

I like the album but holy shit it SUCKED! The one good thing was they finished by 10:30 and allowed me to enjoy the rest of the night.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 5:05 PM

Shut up, Girls were great.
I got a dedication right before Big Bad Mean Motherfucker, and it was dope. J.R. is the man, don't hate. If it wasn't for him "swinging his hips" Album wouldn't be the same.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 5:05 PM

Glad I got there early. Leisure was surprisingly good. Dum Dum Girls and Girls played the slow jams but I was in the mood.

Posted by Brendon | April 5, 2010 5:05 PM

Girls were great.
I got a dedication right before Big Bad Mean Motherfucker, and it was dope. J.R. is great, I got go to meet him before the show. . If it wasn't for him "swinging his hips" Album wouldn't be the same.

Posted by Ethan | April 5, 2010 5:10 PM

ETHAN LEVENSON!

Posted by k | April 5, 2010 5:17 PM

Dum Dum Girls were greater.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 5:23 PM

Representin'

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 5:24 PM

I really wanna bang Bambi from Dum Dum Girls..fyi

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 5:24 PM

He likes to be called "cool ethan".

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 5:25 PM

Posted by Ethan | April 5, 2010 5:25 PM

Girls KILLED Maxwell's a few months ago. Webster Hall just sucks is all.

Posted by GW | April 5, 2010 5:27 PM

Lauren Marie is quite possibly the most annoying song ever made!

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 5:31 PM

here is my review... and before I start getting hate mail, Chris Owens beat you to it...

Posted by Iman Lababedi | April 5, 2010 5:42 PM

dude learn how to write iman

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 6:02 PM

is she serious with that dress? she was in a band less than a year ago singing like karen 0. dee dee, bambi, frankie... all fake names... music by numbers made by ex theater kids. you're all being taken. this is some fake shit. west coast sounding a lot like brooklyn 2007.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 6:13 PM

fake names? that's the complaint? bob fucking dylan, dude. the notorious b.i.g. the ramones. johnny rotten. jimi hendrix. come on, FAKE NAMES? you are very very very silly. and anonymous is a fake name too.

Posted by Archibald Alexander Leach | April 5, 2010 7:05 PM

serious with that dress. very serious. also it's fucking hilarious.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 7:29 PM

whoever's praising dum dum girls is a dum dum. they were extremely boring and way too self serious

girls delivered, and gave it their all. it may not have been energy-filled, but fuck you, music doesn't always have to be about that

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 8:15 PM

leisure kind of reminded me of jonathan fire*eater - before the drugs and the mess that ensued, that is.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 8:16 PM

girls are severely overrated.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 8:22 PM

They album is solid, but when they opened for Los Campesinos a couple months back, it was one of the most boring opening acts I've been subjected to at that big of a show.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 9:32 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 9:39 PM

brooklyn vegan comment section < toxic waste dump.

Posted by anon | April 5, 2010 11:00 PM

Pretty informative post i have come across.Thanks a bunch for sharing such a great and informative post with us. It is very interesting article and quite impressive one.Keep blogging.

Posted by cctv systems | April 6, 2010 4:16 AM

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 6:13 PM

Well said. Totally agree with that. It reminds me of mid 80's L.A. contrived bands.

Posted by td | April 6, 2010 5:20 AM

Wow that kid in front has a Girls button like a bow tie. Dont idolize too much and then find out the Boys had their problems folks that dont need to be emulated.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 5:24 AM

E: Dum Dum Girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IyiHjRBsyw

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2010 9:39 PM

brooklyn vegan comment section < toxic waste dump.

Hilarious old Bambi, Vinnie, Darla, karen or whatever her name is this week in the GOP video.

And no the comment section is very educational, its just the sad bands rehashing the past like DUM DUM's so badly. Newtown Creek and Gowanus is a waste dumb.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 5:37 AM

This is disgusting that such a pointless band can pack Webster Hall. At the end of the day it's all entertainment but fuck this video can't hold my attention past 0:07. I could fallen asleep for the rest of the night during this song.
Dum Dum Girls, yeah kinda cute but that's their selling point. No no NO Girls or Beach house and all the other bands that sound exactly like them. You kids that like these type of stagnant rhythm pop bands are really really lame. Oh and there is just so much feeling in the singers vocals, WOW. Thumbs down band dorks. Rock n'Roll forever

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 11:38 AM

yeah dudes, it's all in their fucking names!! haha. jesus. it would much cooler to see another steve, joe & larry boy rock band from brooklyn. OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. ugh.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 1:17 PM

dum dum girls were absolutely terrible in baltimore last week. truly lifeless set, very disappointing. i guess they have production to thank for making their cd fun and listenable. girls were okay, but there weren't that many people there, even fewer into it.

Posted by brian | April 6, 2010 4:13 PM

glad i didnt buy tickets for this .. although dum dums were the pull for me .. girls is good but i can never really bring myself to get the album or even a single in my ipod

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2010 5:43 PM

i still don't know how this band with 2 good songs and a bunch of mediocre ones that sound the same gets any love

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 6:32 PM

fuck the haterz girls are laughing all the way to the drug store. ive heard the dum dum girls can be spotty live

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 6:42 PM

Laughing all the way to the drug store? What, like CVS? Consider the haterz BURNED.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2010 7:07 PM

That's some nice photography you have on this blog. Not sure about the blog but nice camera work.

Posted by CCTV | March 15, 2011 7:32 AM

I really enjoyed reading this post, I was just wondering do you trade featured blog posts. Thanks for sharing your Blog with others. You really share valuable information.

Posted by Security Direct | October 5, 2013 7:02 AM