Posted in music | pictures | tour dates on April 18, 2010

photos by Ryan Muir

"There never would have been a White Stripes or Black Keys without Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. Dude is killing it at Brooklyn Bowl!" - Todd Goodwin

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

NY Press: Over the course of this year, all of the band's albums are going to be re-released, but what about new material?

Jon Spencer: Not all of them, but a lot of them. We started with this compilation, which is an overview of the first 10 years of the band. In a couple months, we'll release Now I Got Worry and Contro Negro and a couple months after that will be Year One, all of the records released in the band's first year. All in all, there will be six albums.

NY Press: You're also releasing a best-of compilation. Is that the material we can expect to hear at the Brooklyn Bowl show?

Jon Spencer: We'll definitely be pulling from all six albums, all of the albums really, and maybe some new stuff. I've been meaning to think about what's on the compilation and maybe hit those songs. We never use a set list, we just get up and do it, so what we're going to do is not know until we get there.

The above-referenced Brooklyn Bowl show took place Friday night with Golden Triangle. This summer you can catch the band again if you're in Chicago for the Pitchfork Festival.

Meanwhile, one of Jon's other bands, Heavy Trash just kicked off a tour that will hit The Saint in Asbury Park on April 28th and then Mercury Lounge in NYC the next day. All dates and more pictures from Brooklyn Bowl, below...

Heavy Trash - 2010 Tour Dates
May 24 - Paard Den Haag
May 25 - Relentless Garage London, London and South East
May 26 - Academy 3 Manchester, Northwest
May 27 - The Stereo Glasgow, Scotland

The Blues is still #1

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2010 4:22 PM

jon spencer at the seaport last year was insane...great crowd, no one videotaping for youtube, just a thrashing good show and lots of rocking out.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2010 4:42 PM

that first quote was exactly my sentiment while i was there

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2010 6:07 PM

Brooklyn Bowl- worst venue in BK! First 3 songs sounded absolutely terrible in that place. Once the sound system issues got clarified, at least the songs sounded better. Totally rude and obnoxious Bridge & Tunnel crowd too. Awful. And Russell Simmons kept fucking up on drums all night- dropping sticks, missing cues, and barely kept it together, etc. I for one wish he rehearsed a little....Too bad- Judah and Jon were ready and played well.

Overall- totally disappointing show, but for only $12- worth the gamble. Glad I saw them at their height when they were around and making good records. A totally phoned in performance- for them. I hate to say this but Jon should just stick with Heavy Trash now. Sadly, JSBX is done despite the excellent reissues that will be dropped throughout the year.

And what is up with Golden Triangle? Terrible. How they hell did they get booked to play the Seaport this summer? Awful.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2010 6:17 PM

MY FATHER WAS SISTER RAY!

Posted by Geneology Major | April 18, 2010 11:06 PM

I think of Jon more as the missing link between those groups mentioned and bands like Flat Duo Jets, James Chance, and R.L. Burnside.

I hope that more people do their homework. I'm sure there are even more names that have carried the torch and fallen by the way side.

Posted by blues music | April 19, 2010 9:43 AM

SMOKE PIGS

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2010 10:40 AM

"James Chance"

James Chance? Of the Contortions? I don't see the link, but Flat Duo Jets rocked.

I loved The Gun Club.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2010 11:15 AM

That Todd Goodwin guy knows what he is talking about.

Posted by Meg | April 19, 2010 11:34 AM

Admittedly, I haven't really listened to Spencer since Orange... but yes, his early stuff owes quite a bit to Chance.

Some examples of Chance:

Posted by blues music | April 19, 2010 11:36 AM

glad that russell simmons is back where he should be and not with the tiny trust find and seriously golden triangle sux 12 people in the band and no one can play or sing. dance tambourine hippie crap bring that shite to burning man. wtf is wrong with jon spencer

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2010 12:33 PM

Not that it makes much of a dif, but the drum kit was falling apart, that was most of the drum related fuck ups. To be fair there were a few stick drops. You'd have to be a pussy to care though.. that dude rules.

And yes Golden Triangle fucking sucks. You can at least give them a "suck" until the end of the set when both singers start rolling around on the ground then it becomes a "gross" Talk about some contrived bullshit..

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2010 2:13 PM

Maybe I'm comparing it too much to the current state of music and not enough to the Blues Explosion shows I saw 15-16 years ago, but I thought they still put on a great show Friday night. Russel Simmins might have dropped a few sticks, but still an amazing drummer. True about the sound though. My first trip to BK Bowl. How hard is it to mix drums and 2 guitars?

Def see the James Chance influence in there, but I'm also a Pussy Galore fan and Jon Spencer was a lot more confrontational and skronky back then which is maybe where I'm getting it...

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2010 2:18 PM

Golden Triangle are VERY contrived and talentless in a bad way

Posted by 卐卐卐卐卐卐卐 | April 19, 2010 2:57 PM

The sound for the BX was muddy. There's no way you could come up with a decent live mix in something that's built like a ski lodge - that place had just about the highest ceilings I'd ever seen. On the other hand, it was a clean and well laid out venue, with courteous and professional staff (however, the reasoning behind keeping ticketholders waiting outside in the rain, escapes me). The lone bar at the back was a predictable clusterfuck (especially when the kiddies are using the debit card Mommy and Daddy gave them, to buy a beer).

I'd disagree that the band are past their prime, although the tendency towards medleys is a disappointment. The set was spirited, and Spencer and Simins were thoroughly enjoying themselves. Judah, as always, was too cool for school (if playing music for a living doesn't excite him, maybe a career as a fry cook is in order).

Spencer's past projects, Shithaus/Pussy Galore/late-Gibson Bros., all inform the band's confrontational sonic assault.

Golden Triangle were better than expected, even if I could live without attention-seeking girls "singing" in unison and wearing awful "New Wave" clothing from the Karen O collection.

There were segments of the audience that reflected the disturbing trend towards infantilism. One of my favorites was the self-absorbed "friend of the band" who slammed into me as I leaned against a wall on a sparsely populated floor before Golden Triangle's set, spilling half of my drink and not even bothering to acknowledge it. Twit. Good luck in life - you'll go far (actually, by not giving a shit about the world around her, she probably will...)

Posted by rdf | April 19, 2010 3:50 PM

Were we at the same show? I personally thought Golden Triangle was great. I guess it's fair to be skeptical of ladies rolling around the floor but ultimately I thought the energy and intention necessary to carry it off was totally there.

Posted by pete | April 19, 2010 3:55 PM

Ahh, yes - Gibson Bros...

And I've always thought Judah's demeanor worked as the Keef to Jon's manic Mick, but that's just me. Overall still a rocking good time.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2010 5:02 PM

Ryan! I'm even in one of your photos but you didn't say hi to me :( waaaah.

Posted by Lori Baily | April 20, 2010 1:36 AM

I said hi to you at the beginning of the show, you were standing next to the other photographers in the middle. You asked me if there was a backstage area, to which i replied, its upstairs.

Posted by Ryan | April 20, 2010 9:54 AM

Glad to see other people hated the opening act. But it was kind of obvious with the silence after every song. Screeching while wiggling with tambourines, you were torturing the audience.

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 1:24 AM

anyone get the setlist from the Heavy Trash show last night? or how long their set was? any reviews appreciated! thanks

Posted by Joe | April 30, 2010 10:11 AM

It's a coup that Golden Triangle got Cyndi Lauper to sing for 'em.

Posted by blackhat | May 1, 2010 1:36 PM