Posted in music | pictures on April 13, 2010

photos by Ryan Muir

"The LCD Soundsystem show last night at Webster Hall was hands-down, one of the best live shows I've seen in years. Absolutely stupendous." - DJ Bunny Ears

LCD Soundsystem

"floor was literally shaking last night. I felt it and just stood still to see if my mind was playing tricks on me but the floor was taking me up and down on its own. and only the people in the front right were really jumping and dancing. if the entire venue was jumping and dancing i wonder how the floor would have moved." [Anonymous]
If I wasn't having so much trouble keeping my eyes open right now, I would write more about how excellent last night's (4/12) Webster Hall show was. I might attempt to compare it more to the life-changing (don't get mad at me for being overly excited and slightly exaggerating) event that was Thursday's gig at Music Hall of Williamsburg, but let's just say that Webster Hall was also awesome, but different due to the band opening with the new song "Pow Wow" off the new leaked album that a less-drunk (which is a good or bad thing depending on your point of view) James Murphy begged the crowd not to leak (it leaked just a few hours earlier) from the stage. Pow Wow was one of three new songs they played, but the only one they were playing for the first time (they also played Drunk Girls and I Can Change at Music Hall). I almost didn't go to Webster Hall because I didn't want to be disappointed, but then I couldn't resist and I'm glad I did.

Next up for the band is Coachella followed by a tour and then three shows at Terminal 5 (I'm definitely going to at least one of those) (and then more touring). The setlist and more pictures from Webster Hall, below...

setlist (via)
Yeah

Someone Great
Daft Punk Is Playing At My House
NY I Love You

R.I.P. Supergrass :(

Posted by Stultus Magnus | April 13, 2010 4:06 PM

meh LCD soundsystem are so overhyped by the blogosphere/pitchfork cunts. fuck james murphy.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 4:10 PM

The lasers were the best part. I was freaking.

LCD is the tightest 7 piece band since Slipknot.......

Posted by noamjamski | April 13, 2010 4:12 PM

I think that Slipknot had 9, unless a few of them offed themselves. . .

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 4:16 PM

lcd vs slipknot. now that would be a rumble.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 4:20 PM

Posted my review on BackseatSandbar, but mostly I was disappointed. Webster Hall Soundsystem is miserable, James seemed disinterested in being there, there was no flow...the energy that built at us v them dropped out until yeah...no flow at all

Posted by Cory | April 13, 2010 4:20 PM

Rockin

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 4:21 PM

Video of "Pow Pow" from last night...

Video of "Yeah (Crass Version)" from last night...

Enjoy

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 4:26 PM

What a ridiculously fun show. Fuck the haters, everyone up front was having the time of our lives. Nobody left without a big smile on their face. At first I was worried it would be a man fest, but some beautiful ladies shimmied their way up to the front by the middle of the set. Strangers hugging and kissing (especially after All My Friends - so much love). After each song, I would meet eyes with people I've never met and we'd both just smile and know that we were seeing something special. Such a perfect show environment.

Oh man, Movement was CRAZY. Didn't expect moshing at an LCD show. Actually managed a little crowd surfing too! (that's me in the red hat). Thanks, James and co. for an amazing amazing night I won't soon forget.

Posted by @willbah | April 13, 2010 4:26 PM

@Anon 4:10 - you're obviously deaf.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 4:28 PM

@4:26

Obviously you think that. If you are the person in the red hat, I definitely heard you say to some guy with a back back "thanks for the e"

I still had an amazing time regardless and I was e-less. MHOW had a slightly better vibe in my opinion, but I think it's just mainly because it's a small venue and everyone was dancing/into the show, where the back 3/4 of the crowd at webster hall was kind of lame. Think webster hall front of the stage and apply it to all of MHOW and you get a glimpse of what it was like. There was an unworldly energy before, during and after the MHOW show

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 4:36 PM

HAHAHHA at 4:26

im glad someone called you out as the pill-loving hippie you are! :D

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 4:39 PM

Random fact. James Murphy and Slipknot have the same business manager. Truthfact.

Posted by Ryan | April 13, 2010 4:39 PM

Anon 4:36 - That would have been really great actually, but I was def not on e. Just had a flask of Sailor Jerry and my dancin shoes. So whatever you heard, you either mistook me for someone else, or were on a little somethin somethin yerself.

Now for the bonnaroo set this summer, that may be a different story :-)

Posted by @willbah | April 13, 2010 4:43 PM

I don't quite get the hyperbole here. I really enjoy LCD, and I thought last night was fun, but all these superlatives and OMGs being thrown around really make me wonder, were those people on drugs? I had a mild buzz, but aside from that, was straight. I thought it had some very high points, def some low points, but overall was a fun time. Is it generally assumed that half the place is rolling at these shows? That would explain a lot, if so.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 4:45 PM

@4:45

rolling on energy and great music

pow, pow, pow pow!

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 4:48 PM

It's 2010, who the fuck still does E?!

It's all about peyote people.

And, this band/dude sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 4:54 PM

R: Pow!
B: Did he just say Pow?
R: Pow, Pow!

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 4:55 PM

If people had more fun at Webster Hall or MHOW is a silly argument. If you had fun, great. If you didn't, I hear you. Regardless, I had a blast. I was in the back dancing.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 4:56 PM

cory, are you insane? that show fucking rocked.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 5:04 PM

not sure why BV is "reviewing" my previous comment/response to ANON 4:36 right now, but I was def not on e. Though it wouldn't have made a huge difference considering I felt EXTREMELY happy for the duration of the show. Yes, it had some minor lulls, but that actually provided moments to catch your breath a little.

Posted by @willbah | April 13, 2010 5:04 PM

someone call the feds we have an e head in the red hat in a pic on brooklynvegan!

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 5:11 PM

Yeah I don't know about all of you people hyping this as the show of the year...if it was for you, then you need to get out more. I had a GOOD time last night...I'm not trying to comlpain, but I in no way walked out of that place with my mind blown...There was like 15 minutes where I was like fuck yes...other than that, it was no better than a hundred other shows I've seen. Gogol Bordello tore that place up 1 trillion times more right before Christmas...Talk about the floor shaking...

Posted by Sean | April 13, 2010 5:12 PM

if you didnt have fun at this show, you should probably just off yrself and end it.

in the last decade, there's been so many crap bands stealing from the past, bringing horrible clothing back, and horrible revival style.

lcd is by far the only band that can do this and do it better than anyone else. you can hear their influences but they are super talented and james is a super intelligent guy who knows what to do, what makes a good show, and how to read the audience.

the show was fantastic and you definitely got the feeling that this band is important not only for music today but in the greater scheme of music.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 5:14 PM

Going to see them in Dublin next week...where I'm sure the entire crowd will be pilled out of it and dancing up a storm...should be a fucking great time considering noone fucking dances in New York at these shows..

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 5:19 PM

who does E on a monday? save it for blkmarket parties, people

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 5:27 PM

I heard the guy in the red hat sells good e.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 5:33 PM

Great show--I had a lot of fun.

Posted by Regular reader | April 13, 2010 5:55 PM

I had suchhhh a good time last night! If you didn't then you don't like having fun. Epic.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 5:57 PM

LCD did not disappoint, as expected! Seriously one of the best shows in NYC in a long time.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 6:05 PM

i personally had a great time. how couldn't you?

man, people are getting as douchey on here as pitch fork.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 6:08 PM

BTW WTF was up with the openers? are they basically a crap cover band?

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 6:11 PM

I can't think of anyone else who combines some of the best in pop music--from Bowie/Eno to Suicide to krautrock to hip-hop to Fleetwood Mac--than LCD Soundsystem, and makes it all super fun. Maybe Beck does it a little better. Let's hope for more New York shows in 2010 at places other than T5!

Posted by Regular reader again | April 13, 2010 6:12 PM

the difference between 4:28 and 4:10 is eighteen minutes...and that 4:10 has a brain.

Posted by peter | April 13, 2010 8:22 PM

So apparently I deal e now. Awesome! Whose interested??

Posted by @willbah | April 14, 2010 12:01 AM

@ 6:08-

p4k doesn't allow for comments, so u are full of shit.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2010 1:43 AM

who does E on a monday? save it for blkmarket parties, people
^^
lol. you and have spent time in the same places once or twice...

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2010 2:24 AM

didn't go to this and haven't seen them live since that amazing show at studio b on the last leg of s o s tour. I buy that this was great cause james can perform live very well for what he does. glad he did "someone great". I remember it sounding so f'ing good live...

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2010 2:32 AM

Glad to see that the "AWESOME SHOW" comments outnumber the "DOOD SUX LOL" comments! I had a fucking blast, and almost 1/4 of the crowd were dancing--that's gotta be on the high end of fun for most snidely superior indie crowds.

Posted by Miles | April 14, 2010 8:40 AM

mah, mah, you suck, i suck, this band sucks, my band is better.

shut it.

newsflash - people like different things to different extents. deal.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2010 9:13 AM

Whoa! That is David Scott Stone playing guitar. That guy is a sound genius.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2010 9:28 AM

New album is up (streaming) on their site:

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2010 11:33 AM

^^
hahahahhahahaha

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2010 2:31 PM

"Dancing" in those conditions is a subjective term. The room is so crowded, about the only direction you can move is up. It ain't exactly a disco atmosphere.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2010 3:06 PM

The coed bathroom was great.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2010 2:26 PM

what time did LCD hit the stage at webster??

Posted by Jonathan | April 22, 2010 10:14 AM

sometime between 11 and 11:10, ended around 12:50 or so

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2010 10:22 AM

thanks 1022

Posted by Jonathan | April 22, 2010 12:02 PM

what time did fall on your sword start?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2010 2:11 PM