Posted in metal | music on April 18, 2010

Lee Altomare of The Communion: 1976 - 2010
Lee Communion

on April 16th 2010, Lee Altomare passed away due to complications from eye surgery.

We are all deeply wounded, white and shaking with shock, by this sudden loss of our great friend. He brought us all together. He brought out the best in us, enabled and encouraged us to be at our absolute best in music and life. I personally cannot imagine being where i am today without all Lee put together.

I say all this with zero hyperbole, and those who knew him best no doubt feel the same way we do at this moment. Our hearts go out to his amazing family and all his friends, as well as anyone whose supported us in the last 6 years. Know that Lee loved, appreciated, and cared about all of you very much, as do we.

we are overwhelmed by the outpouring of support and condolences from everyone. We all truly appreciate it.

like already said, we're going to miss him greatly. there's really nothing more i can say than that. he was our best friend, and we'll miss making music with him, but more than that we're going to miss just chilling with him, complaining about the state of everything, ogling young ladies, and making fun of people with him.

we'll'll be sure to keep everyone updated on everything that happens. anything that we decide to do will be with Lee in mind, and probably always will be.

take care everyone.

Lee, We'll miss you forever.
- Nick, Billy, Jimmy, Joe - The Communion. - The Communion

So tragic. R.I.P. Lee.

We didn't know Lee personally, but we definitely knew his face, not just from the band, but also from being a regular at NYC shows. BBG saw him all the time. Unearthly Trance posted a statement on Lee's passing, and a new song:

FROM UNEARTHLY TRANCE

Lee was a guy that Jay and I both knew since the 1990's Long Island Hardcore days. I considered him an ally as we always were the ones who were at the sludge,underground metal,grind,doom etc. shows in the late 90s/early 2000 up until the present. Whenever I was at a killer show Lee wouldnt be far away enjoying the same band I was there to see. One of the first UT shows ever was in Lees back yard and just as we set up with full stacks ready to blaze, the cops came. But my best memory was getting the opportunity to jam with him last year. We were going to do a sludgey hardcore band called "nøwhere". Well the project kinda went nowhere due to all of us being busy, but it was a great fun time. It was like jamming with no worries and just for the joy of it all. Ill miss you bro. - R

I posted a jam from that day on our page for people to hear as I feel its best to honor with with a document of a shared moment.

The Communion was scheduled to play The Charleston on May 21st with Ingrowing, Flourishing, Backslider, and Buckshot Facelift. They're also on the bill of Maryland Deathfest later that month.

The band also posted: "all of you who wish to pay your respects to Lee; the funeral will be at the Arthur S. White Funeral in Bethpage. 234 Broadway. Mon 2-5 and 7-9:30. we hope all who can make it will be there."

Lee Altomore

Lee was a true die hard of the NYC metal scene. RIP.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2010 1:53 PM

That really fucking sucks. Guy put on a shit-ton of cool shows.

Posted by teapot | April 18, 2010 2:01 PM

Thanks so much for posting this..It means a lot

Posted by Jim | April 18, 2010 3:02 PM

RIP Metal General Lee. You will be missed.

Posted by CL | April 18, 2010 3:42 PM

1:53
You are exactly right,
Lee was a die hard metal head!
RIP brother

Posted by R | April 18, 2010 5:42 PM

Did not know him personally, however, saw him all the time and would always give me a nod. Guy was a true die hard, would see him at literally EVERY show I went to...R.I.P for sure...

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2010 6:04 PM

Lee was a real close friend to us. This is a pretty devastating loss.
Words really cant express anything at the moment, if you knew him & care to attend the service, here's the info:

LEE'S MEMORIAL SERVICE:
Monday April 19th, 2010 2-5pm & 7-9:30pm Funeral Tues April 20th 8am
White Arthur Funeral Home
234 Broadway
Bethpage, NY 11714 516.931.1454

Posted by P - Black Anvil | April 18, 2010 11:39 PM

Thanks for posting this bro. Lee was a real bro to me and my bands. Gonna miss him so much. See you tomorrow at the funeral home.

Posted by matt melnick | April 19, 2010 12:56 AM

Man that really sucks.I wish the best for all his friends and family.damn

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2010 10:26 AM

Rest in Peace. He was a great guy. I will definitely miss seeing him and talking to him at shows.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2010 12:34 PM

Shows won't be the same without him making fun of every one and every thing.
R.I.P. Lee- you will be missed.

Posted by Jess | April 19, 2010 3:30 PM

I will miss talking to him at just about every show I went to. Great guy. Rest in Peace.

Posted by Adam | April 19, 2010 3:43 PM

I didn't really know Lee all that well. But I spoke with him at a few shows and would see him at countless others. Just a few months ago he contacted me on Myspace and asked for my band to play a show w/ The Communion. We played the show and enjoyed his company. You could see his love of playing music from watching him. I am shocked to hear this and send the best to his friends & family

Posted by Kerry | April 19, 2010 5:18 PM

I want to Thank You all personally for the wonderful comments and tribute about Lee. He was the real thing...We don't want our son forgotten...Please let him live thru Music Dedications...

Since he was a genuine, generous person, please pass that along to each other! I am going to miss him terribly.

And you know what, if something in your life is going wrong, send him a little prayer...I bet he is going to help you!

Love to all
Lee's Mom and Dad...
Joanne and Rich

Posted by Joanne and Rich | April 19, 2010 11:28 PM

RIP Lee
I will miss you brother.

Mike Inhuman

Posted by Mike Inhuman | April 20, 2010 1:15 AM

To Joanie and Rich
It took a lot to deal with what you guys put up with this week. I know first hand how hard it can be.

The pain will never go away but by surrounding yourself with good people with positive vibes makes it a lot easier

As Ron said last night..we are all there for you and you are not alone..

Take Care and Be well

Posted by Jim Idol | April 20, 2010 10:57 PM

Some of us had the pleasure of sharing music with Lee and some of us had the pleasure of sharing our lives with him. I feel so much more than grateful that i was able to have both. I hope you know the effect you had on my life bro. love you.

Posted by Conor | April 21, 2010 8:18 PM

I knew Lee for almost 15 years and he was truly a great guy. He was never to busy to stop and say hello and talk about politics or his Yankees. We will all miss him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family his parents Joanne and Rich and his brother Matt. R.I.P Lee you will be missed. Jim your neighbor.

Posted by jim | April 24, 2010 11:46 AM

When I think of Lee, I think of how thoughtful, kind, gentle, honest and generous(a trait I believe he got from his mother for sure. thank you Mrs A. for all you did for me back in the late 90's when I was homeless, you and Lee helped me get my act together and get on my feet, I will never forget that). Lee was also very forgiving; never judgeing, a true friend. I can count the people who I consider to be "true" friends on one hand. I too had the pleasure of being in I guess you'd call a band with Lee, Conor, and Billy, and I'll never forget those times. Lee lived for music, and for his friends. If one could measure a persons Karma, I am sure Lee's would be just as high if not higher than anyone I've ever had the pleasure of haveing as a friend. I know he is in better place. Lee..., I'll miss you bro, you truely were one of a kind.

Posted by Nick | April 28, 2010 4:54 AM

Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie were really good albums. Got them when they came out, still throw them on at times and think they're great. It saddens me when I hear bands from that era when I was a teenager and hear their new stuff and it's so clear how they've lost it, they sound desperate to recapture a sound/magic that they haven't had in 15 years (holy shit).... And then I realize that is not unlike a lot of us.

Posted by منتديات | January 22, 2011 8:34 AM

Lee was one of the best guys I knew. The day I met him it was through a friend of a friend. The guy treated me like a brother. Took me right in and made me feel welcomed. I'll never forget this and loved seeing him smile when I walked in for a show. Your always in our thoughts Lee and we will never forget you. See ya soon buddy, I'll bring the Michelob ultra

Posted by Javier | July 3, 2011 4:12 PM

So sad ... Lee will be missed on ways that will never be known except to God. Rest in peace.

Posted by Jacque Altomare | July 8, 2011 8:43 PM